PDA

View Full Version : Pathetic

Wolfhound45
11-15-2009, 05:09 PM
Far and away, one of the most gutless, uninspired games I have ever seen. Congrats to the Bungals. They showed up to play.

steelz09
11-15-2009, 05:20 PM
Very simply put but very well said.

I said it in the gameday chat and I'll say it again. The Steelers deserved to lose this game.

They didn't show up to play. The offense and ST were flat out terrible.

And the defense got outplayed by the Bengals defense. The Bengals deserved to win in every aspect.

steelsnis
11-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Far and away, one of the most gutless, uninspired games I have ever seen

It's a loss. They happen. Now this team is GUTLESS??? So 6 nights ago on Monday in Denver, they were the best team in the league and now they are GUTLESS?

I get that it was a frustrating loss but let's not turn on the team.

THAT would be gutless.

JAR
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM

It's a loss. They happen. Now this team is GUTLESS??? So 6 nights ago on Monday in Denver, they were the best team in the league and now they are GUTLESS?

THAT would be gutless.

It happens after every loss. The Steelers are supposed to win every game 35-0.

Wolfhound45
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM

THAT would be gutless.

I called it like I saw it. Say what you want about it, it was gutless. They played not to lose. I do not expect a win 35-0 every time they take they field. But I do expect a win. Each and every time.

If that means I have "turned" on the team then you miss the point completely.

steelsnis
11-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Can you explain what exactly is GUTLESS about this team? I can't think of a single instance where they didn't play hard or compete hard. Not one.

Doesn't mean you're gonna win each and every battle you go into, sometimes the other guys are simply better on that given day. It happens.

The offense couldn't get it going today and the defense gave up only 4 field goals. Special teams had yet another lapse. Like I said, sometimes you're gonna get beat. Doesn't mean they are gutless, it means that they have to continue to get better and try to peak at the right time.

Steel Life
11-15-2009, 06:21 PM
While I think gutless is an extreme view, especially considering the way that James Harrison plays consistently, I do think that it is a game that special teams & the offense - & especially the OC - will have a hard time looking the defense in the eye. The defense did it's job - they kept the Bengals out of the end zone& the game within reach.

The offense on the other hand was pathetic...Ben was clearly off his game & Arians showed no ability to put the offense in a position to succeed. Despite being great at it,we didn't see the no-huddle offense. He dialed up only 13 carries for Mendenhall? Throwing deep when the O-Line is having trouble holding back the blitz? Jesus! - Vince Young threw better than Ben did today!

Credit the Bengals DC & the squad for a good game, but does anyone else feel as though we didn't see the whole arsenal from the Steelers today? Why hold back? First place is on the line, plus the division title, & you don't go to your best weapons? Bruce Arians & the ST coach...this loss is on you.

Wolfhound45
11-15-2009, 06:26 PM
gut?less
–adjective Informal.
lacking courage, fortitude, or determination.

That pretty much sums it up. A division rival came into our house and showed the courage, fortitude, and determination to place themselves ahead of us in the divisional race, the first race of any importance.

Or I could take your side of the argument. What courage, fortitude, or determination did you see on the field?

grotonsteel
11-15-2009, 07:11 PM
Steelers showed no passion...They were physically outplayed by Bumgals

Bumgals are great on defense ,Special Teams play and they have a great O-line.

Djfan
11-15-2009, 07:17 PM
Ben stunk, bad passes, missed reads, not seeing wide open receivers, low passes, over throws, not adjusting for blitzes, etc.

The ST sucked. Stop that TD and we win.

grotonsteel
11-15-2009, 07:19 PM
Big Ben and ST are the reason Steelers lost....

Ozey74
11-15-2009, 07:36 PM
Steelers are a good team. We lost 3 games but weren't blown away in any of our loses. A mishap here and there. We correct the mistakes & we go far in the post season. Alot can happen in 7 weeks. We play lights out for the rest of the year & this game is nothing but a faint bad memory.

:tt2

Steeler Mafia
11-15-2009, 07:48 PM
Stop the TD on the return and it still would have been tied.

This loss is on Ben, Bruce, and Not-So Special teams.

...can someone still explain this logic to me?

-2 minutes to go. 1st and 10-
Throw it deep 40 yards down field in double coverage. (Of course, much like all of Ben's long balls, he is short)

-2nd and 10-
Okay that didn't work. How about running the ball. Too easy. Lets try throwing it 30 yards down field. No dice.

-3rd and 10-
Now we need this one. How about an 8 yard hitch. Nope, I am a genius OC. Lets go for 15 to 20 yards (even though we only need 10 to extend the drive.) Incomplete.

-4th and 10-
Alright, now we can go for the first down. Hit Mr. Hands at the sticks. Oops...too high.

:evil:
Who the hell is calling these stupid plays. Give me the playbook and I gaurentee that I can get them to at least the 50. That sums up why we were so inept offensively today. They played like bums who had no intrest in playing let alone winning the game.

Frustrating, Disgusting, and most of all PATHETIC!!!!!!! :x :HeadBanger :x

Discipline of Steel
11-15-2009, 08:28 PM
While I think gutless is an extreme view, especially considering the way that James Harrison plays consistently, I do think that it is a game that special teams & the offense - & especially the OC - will have a hard time looking the defense in the eye. The defense did it's job - they kept the Bengals out of the end zone& the game within reach.

The offense on the other hand was pathetic...Ben was clearly off his game & Arians showed no ability to put the offense in a position to succeed. Despite being great at it,we didn't see the no-huddle offense. He dialed up only 13 carries for Mendenhall? Throwing deep when the O-Line is having trouble holding back the blitz? Jesus! - Vince Young threw better than Ben did today!

Credit the Bengals DC & the squad for a good game, but does anyone else feel as though we didn't see the whole arsenal from the Steelers today? Why hold back? First place is on the line, plus the division title, & you don't go to your best weapons? Bruce Arians & the ST coach...this loss is on you.

You know, I think I agree with you. Mendy probably should have had more of a chance.

NWNewell
11-15-2009, 08:49 PM
Agree. 0/4 RedZone and 0/2 Goal-To-Go pretty much sums it up.

Offensively, top to bottom... poor performance:
O-line was exposed to day. Many of the sacks were Ben's fault, but they got pressure, batted down balls, and didn't do a great job of run blocking. Much of this is because Cincy's front seven is strong and played well. But the O-line didn't exactly give it their best effort either.
Recievers were less than steller. That TD throw that went through Holmes' hands was pathetic. His hands have been unreliable at times quite often, this year and last year. Heck, even the superbowl... everyone remembers the game winning catch to claim SB MVP, but they quickly forget that he was almost the SB Goat becaue the play right before he let an easy one go right through his finger tips. He's lucky he got a chance to redeam himself in that game. Even Heath let a hot high one go through his hands. It was a poor through, but it's a catch that Heath should have, and usually does, make. Wallance dropped one or two early. Ward didn't seem like he was on the same page (not sure if that was Ward or Ben).
Ben did not have a terrible game. But when you want to carry the team. You've got to do better than that. He didn't get much help from the O-line, a few balls were batted down, there were a few dropped catches, but he was not delivering the ball well either. Throwing a lot high, not on the same page with the receiver a couple times, etc. Just off.
BA was questionable. I try not to second guess him too much because I think the players execution can make you look like a champ or chump. When they execute well, we all say BA did a good job, but when they do not, we say BA is terrible. But inside the 10 twice and you only run the ball once with Mendy, who is proving to be able to get tough yards? What are you thinking??? First and goal from the 8 yard line and you go 4 wide, empty back set? Come on!!!! Don't know if it was BA or Ben that was calling the plays for deep routes, but when it's 1st & 10 with 1:50 on the clock, why are the first TWO plays, deep strikes. Take one. Or try to get 6-8 yards on first down, and if you do that, take a shot you're still left with managable 3rd & 4th down. I thought it was terrible play calling in those two instances.
Mendenhall didn't perform well, but I'll actually give him more credit than the others. Part of that goes back to the O-line and he did only get 10 carries and I think two of them predictably came in the first two plays of the game, and two of them predictably came in the first two plays of the second half. To go get anything going on that.

Kick coverage a was as atrocious as ever. Are we ever going to correct that? They ran almost every kick back to about the 35.... oh, yeah.. except for the one they ran THE WHOLE WAY BACK!

Defense was solid. Keep them out of the endzone and only gave up 12 points. They only gave up 61 rushing yards and 157 net passing yards. That's pretty darn good. But they were able to make some timely plays here and there, we couldn't come up with big plays even though we were give the opportunity (missed a couple tackles for lose, a coulpe INT's), and Harrison... I love you but come on man, that was a terrible penalty at a terrible time!!! They were at like 2nd and 8 and if we could have held them, it would have been a 3 point game with potentially good field position. But instead they get a 15yd advance and a fresh set of downs. That was a rookie bush league penalty and I hope he gets an ass chewing for that one. But again, all in all.... very solid defensive performance.

Team lose with the emphasis on the offense ans special teams.

But no means ready to bag the season, but we might have just given away the division title. It worries me than the team didn't show up for such an important game. Winning at home, winning in your division, etc... this was a BIG game... and they folded.

Hopefully they can learn from it....

feelthesteel
11-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I totally agree with Wolfhound
that was a pathetic effort.
The play calling at the end with 1.59 sucked.
Steelers do a Jekyl and Hyde

i mean are the Bungles that good?

Ghost
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Offense - TOTAL F. 4 times they were at the 11 or closer and could not find a way to get a TD. One of the worst offensive displays in many years.

What a disappointment. With the division on the line they laid that stink bomb. How do they go from the 2nd half in Denver to a game of complete ineptitude. Beyond terrible.

DukieBoy
11-15-2009, 10:39 PM
I've been watching old Lambert videos on YouTube. It's good therapy tonight.

frankthetank1
11-16-2009, 08:20 AM
one loss in the last six games and they are gutless? thats a joke. they stomped both the vikes and denver so they were bound to lose some time. its never easy playing on a short week after a big win

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't think the OP was calling the team gutless. I believe he was calling yesterday's performance gutless.

Big difference.

JTP53609
11-16-2009, 09:24 AM
as "gutless" as we were, we still had a chance to win the game with under 2 minute left....we were flat, this stuff happens sometimes, unfortunately it does not happen to some teams as much as it happens to us, but it does,

frankthetank1
11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
as "gutless" as we were, we still had a chance to win the game with under 2 minute left....we were flat, this stuff happens sometimes, unfortunately it does not happen to some teams as much as it happens to us, but it does,

as much as it happens to us? it happens to more teams throughout the nfl much more than it happens to the steelers

NWNewell
11-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't think the OP was calling the team gutless. I believe he was calling yesterday's performance gutless.

Big difference.

Definitely.

But at the same time.... If this is how the team responses to a game where they are faced with a good team in of the biggest games of the regular season that "not so arguably" decides the Division Champs, it makes me very concerned about a strong post season showing.

JTP53609
11-16-2009, 01:22 PM

as much as it happens to us? it happens to more teams throughout the nfl much more than it happens to the steelers

we were flat against the lions, we were also pretty flat against the browns (yea ben had 417 yds but it was a game up until the last 10 minutes) we were flat against the bears...

AngryAsian
11-16-2009, 01:46 PM
We play to the level of our competition. In 2005 and again last year... during the regular season, we play to the level of our competition, and fall to some of the more tougher competitors. Then for some reason, with 4-5 games left into the season, we get hot, win and carry that momentum into the playoffs and start knocking off one giant after another. I'm hoping this season is like our two previous championship seasons.

We don't beat our opponents decisively. Let's face it. We may win ugly... but we win.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 04:58 PM
gut?less
–adjective Informal.

That pretty much sums it up. A division rival came into our house and showed the courage, fortitude, and determination to place themselves ahead of us in the divisional race, the first race of any importance.

Or I could take your side of the argument. What courage, fortitude, or determination did you see on the field?

I don't see how you could call our performance gutless and say the Bengals showed courage, fortitude, and determination when both teams essentially played the same game except for one special teams play.

Both QB's had below-average games for their standards...each had more problems with accuracy than normal. Both running games were sub-standard as well. Averages in the neighborhood of 3 ypc with long runs of 9-10 yards on either side of the ball. Both defenses held the opposition out of the end zone, with each offense settling for 4 FG a piece. If not for that one awful runback that decided the game, then we would have been looking at an uninspired 12-12 tie. How does that make one team gutless and the other showing courage, fortitude, and determination?

True Fan
11-16-2009, 05:11 PM
Offense - TOTAL F. 4 times they were at the 11 or closer and could not find a way to get a TD. One of the worst offensive displays in many years.

What a disappointment. With the division on the line they laid that stink bomb. How do they go from the 2nd half in Denver to a game of complete ineptitude. Beyond terrible.

tomlin

feelthesteel
11-16-2009, 05:17 PM
one thing i will say Bad playcalling-especially at the end 1.59
why didnt we just go for a first down?

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 05:21 PM

tomlin

Tomlin wasn't the coach in the 2nd half at Denver? Now I'm confused... :?

papillon
11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
If the Steelers win the game everyone is proclaiming what a great team, to play that poorly and show the determination, fortitude and courage to overcome a sub-par effort.

But, they lost, and now they are lazy, slackers and showing no intestinal fortitude. Riiiiiight? :roll:

Pappy

Jigawatts
11-16-2009, 05:25 PM

tomlin

Tomlin was on the field yesterday for both teams. He dropped a pass in the end zone,
missed a tackle on a kick off return, and I think he sneaked in there for Cincinnati and
knocked down a few passes.

RockyMountainSteeler
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM
gut?less
–adjective Informal.

I don't see how you could call our performance gutless and say the Bengals showed courage, fortitude, and determination when both teams essentially played the same game except for one special teams play.

Both QB's had below-average games for their standards...each had more problems with accuracy than normal. Both running games were sub-standard as well. Averages in the neighborhood of 3 ypc with long runs of 9-10 yards on either side of the ball. Both defenses held the opposition out of the end zone, with each offense settling for 4 FG a piece. If not for that one awful runback that decided the game, then we would have been looking at an uninspired 12-12 tie. How does that make one team gutless and the other showing courage, fortitude, and determination?

We expect the Bengals to struggle against our defense. We do not expect to see our offense kick field goals instead of scoring touchdowns inside of the 15 yard line, especially with the division title likely on the line at home. It just seems like they didn't want it bad enough. With the way that Indy and the ***'s are looking this year it is going to be a daunting task to go through this post-season on the road without a bye week and possibly not a single home playoff game.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 05:31 PM

tomlin

Tomlin was on the field yesterday for both teams. He dropped a pass in the end zone,
missed a tackle on a kick off return, and I think he sneaked in there for Cincinnati and

I think the team played poorly in the first half in Denver because Coach Tomlin was too busy practicing medicine in New Jersey on Monday nights from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and his flight to the MNF game in Denver did arrive until after halftime.

http://holmes.spontaneousderivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/house-md.jpg

Jigawatts
11-16-2009, 05:36 PM

tomlin

I think the team played poorly in the first half in Denver because Coach Tomlin was too busy practicing medicine in New Jersey on Monday nights from 8:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., and his flight to the MNF game in Denver did arrive until after halftime.

http://holmes.spontaneousderivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/house-md.jpg

Yesterday was probably a result of his filming schedule. The Program II looks like it's
going to be a blockbuster though.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_MsivO-YDWD4/SNg5IGqAedI/AAAAAAAAAro/RSku3q4PHWU/s400/yangwake5.jpg

SidSmythe
11-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Hey, the defense did it's job. Except they didn't come up the big plays. I remember 3 dropped INTs (2 by Gay and 1 by Clark). Plays like that change games.

What was pathetic was the facial expressions of our offense as they watched Cincy drive down late in the 4th Quarter to go up by 6. I knew it right then and there that we weren't going to drive down and get a TD. 4 and out!!!

I'd think that the offense would have been on their feet cheering up the defense and after they stopped them short on 3rd down, you'd think they would have been pumped up and ready to redeem themselves.

Steelerphile
11-16-2009, 06:12 PM
They were as flat as the can of half-consumed carbonated beverage that is still on a table three days after it was opened.

I don't attribute that to being gutless. There must be connection between playing the high-altitude Monday Night Game, where they looked excellent most of the way, and trying to duplicate the intensity six days later.

Big Ben looked bad, Hines looked bad. They just couldn't get out of first gear. I hope the rest of the schedule is as easy as most people claim it is. But I worry about every opponent.

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 10:36 PM

tomlin

I also heard he was out giving lap dances with Greg Warren 2 nights before the game.