PDA

View Full Version : The TO with 2:06 left

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 05:01 PM
while we were on D was stupid. Save that for the offense.

feltdizz
11-15-2009, 05:18 PM

why? The O deserved nothing and the sooner they got off the field the better.. it's not like we were trying to march downfield.

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 05:23 PM

why? The O deserved nothing and the sooner they got off the field the better.. it's not like we were trying to march downfield.

Because we were at a point where we were almost assured of getting the ball back.

You save the TOs for when you have the ball if you can.

I was pissed when they called that TO.

phillyesq
11-15-2009, 05:25 PM
I think that TO saved about 30 seconds for the offense. Good call, IMO.

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 05:28 PM
I think that TO saved about 30 seconds for the offense. Good call, IMO.

Maybe so. I didn't like it though. I was hoping for the offense to have 2 stops of the clock so maybe they could have tried something shorter over the middle when they knew the Bengals were going to come after them.

feltdizz
11-15-2009, 05:29 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1juqli2f]while we were on D was stupid. Save that for the offense.

Because we were at a point where we were almost assured of getting the ball back.

You save the TOs for when you have the ball if you can.

I was pissed when they called that TO.[/quote:1juqli2f]

I'd much rather use it and get the ball back at the 2 minute warning then not use it and let the Bengals run another play after the 2 minute warning. I think that was the logic..

regardless... a TO would have prolonged the ugliness.. we couldn't get on first down. That TO was not the difference.

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Who said it was the difference?

papillon
11-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I'll take Ben, 2 minutes and 1 timeout any day of the week. It just didn't work out today and the Steelers even got a good return from Logan. Poor decisions by Ben on the next 4 plays were a problem though. He had plenty of time and he's done it before there was no need to try and win the game with one play.

Pappy

steelz09
11-15-2009, 09:53 PM
I'll take Ben, 2 minutes and 1 timeout any day of the week. It just didn't work out today and the Steelers even got a good return from Logan. Poor decisions by Ben on the next 4 plays were a problem though. He had plenty of time and he's done it before there was no need to try and win the game with one play.

Pappy

Agreed -- That deep pass to Wallace was a waste. It was a very low percentage pass and didn't need to be thrown. One of the many throws that Ben did not need to even attempt in this disappointing game.

NWNewell
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM

I didn't mind it.

While on offense you have more control over the speed of the game with your play calling. On defense, you do not.

If it was their last time out, I wouldn't like it at all. If it was their first, I think it's an easy call. With it being their second, I'd say it's iffy... and won't complain about an iffy timeout.

papillon
11-15-2009, 10:14 PM

Pappy

Agreed -- That deep pass to Wallace was a waste. It was a very low percentage pass and didn't need to be thrown. One of the many throws that Ben did not need to even attempt in this disappointing game.

As disappointing as the game was with Ben as the quarterback and even on a day like today all I was hoping was for the defense to keep it a one score game and give Ben a chance at the end. It didn't work out today, it happens, next week brings another game and new possibilities.

Pappy

Flasteel
11-15-2009, 10:36 PM
It was a stupid TO due to forcing Cincy's hand. If we take the TO there, they can run or pass knowing that the clock will stop after that play. If we take the TO on the backside of th 2:00 warning, the Bengals would feel compelled to run the ball to keep the clock rolling or force us to use our last time out. Not huge and no harm in hindsight, cause we stopped them anyway.

Scarletfire1970
11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Pappy

Only thing I can think is they were hoping for another pi

rpmpit
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Taking the time outs when we took them worked. We got the ball in Ben's hands with plenty of time to win the game. Not sure why the second guessing. Actually, its one of the few strategic moves that worked yesterday.

RuthlessBurgher
11-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Did anyone else notice that we never called our last timeout, and Carson took a knee with 15 seconds left making it 4th down? If we called our last timeout there, they would have to punt, giving us a possible Logan runback or a Hail Mary pass for a victory.

SteelAbility
11-16-2009, 04:42 PM
It was a stupid TO due to forcing Cincy's hand. If we take the TO there, they can run or pass knowing that the clock will stop after that play. If we take the TO on the backside of th 2:00 warning, the Bengals would feel compelled to run the ball to keep the clock rolling or force us to use our last time out. Not huge and no harm in hindsight, cause we stopped them anyway.

I believe you hit the nail on the head with this analysis and this is why the TO called with 2:06 was a poor decision. The time sacrifice was small compared to the advantage gained by greatly encouraging the run play, especially with our run D.