PDA

View Full Version : Skippy does it again?

stlrz d
11-15-2009, 02:25 PM
Totally had a chance to make a play on that KO return TD.

And yet another non-offensive TD goes against us.

steelsnis
11-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Logan got caught out of position for the second time this year on a KO return for a TD. First was against Harvin and this time. He looked like he had to stay outside and he jumped inside. Bernard Scott took advantage of it.

frenchie
11-15-2009, 02:32 PM
I can't wait to see him go. He just can't seem to kick it into the endzone. WTF.

Steel Life
11-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Again another WEAK effort by Reed when he was in position to make a play - but he didn't even try. Just throw your body out there & hope for the trip or to just slow him down...I just don't get it! He's got to go...

Djfan
11-15-2009, 07:28 PM
He's gone. Take it to the bank.

Do any of you draftnicks know a good kicker? I bet we draft one. I liked that guy we had in camp this year. Where is he?

NC Steeler Fan
11-16-2009, 11:22 AM
How you guys are not totally ripping Reed a new one I do not know.

That was a JOKE, period.

They even showed his lack of engagement as "the worst play of the day"
on the indy/patsie pre-game show.

I have been a big Reed supporter for years, but that TOTAL LACK OF EFFORT
to even ATTEMPT TO MAKE A TACKLE was embarrassing, pathetic and he should
make a public apology to the fans.

I KNOW there are hundreds if not thousands of us fans who would have done
ANYTHING more than JUST WATCH THE GUY RUN PAST YOU.

I am embarrassed beyond belief.

And, that was 6 points...the margin of an otherwise deadlocked game...

frankthetank1
11-16-2009, 11:40 AM

That was a JOKE, period.

And, that was 6 points...the margin of an otherwise deadlocked game...

i agree reed is so weak. he doesnt even put any effort in any more. sep would have takin him down without any problems. reed cant even get a ko in the end zone. sep should be kicking on kick offs. at least he will try and make a tackle

Steeler Mafia
11-16-2009, 12:00 PM
He may be weak, but give him a few shots, place him in front of a paper towel dispenser, and he will tear it up. What a moron! Bye Bye Skippy! F'n Wuss!

Oviedo
11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Logan got caught out of position for the second time this year on a KO return for a TD. First was against Harvin and this time. He looked like he had to stay outside and he jumped inside. Bernard Scott took advantage of it.

Actually Logan was held from behind. Rewatch and see that the blocker had grabbed his jersey and push him from behind.

anger 82&95
11-16-2009, 12:12 PM

That was a JOKE, period.

And, that was 6 points...the margin of an otherwise deadlocked game...I agree. Heís had numerous opportunities for redemption, but he just keeps flailing away like a complete rookie.

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
The guy is a kicker........he has zero athletic ability..ZERO. He is not in there to make the tackle. He's there to kickoff and if needed, a last line of defense.

He's a good kicker and very accurate. Not all kickers used to play LB in college like Daniel Sepulveda.

Reed looked like a thousand kickers before him have looked when trying to make a tackle, pathetic...Nothing new. Actually, he reminds me of Gary Anderson. A good fg kicker, but has a weak leg bad for, short kickoffs,50 yard plus fg's and change of direction when trying to tackle.

grotonsteel
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Steelers should make sure that kicker is liquored at the start of each game.

I am a Jeff Reed fan but that play was simply pathetic. Complete lack of effort to even make a tackle. Reed gave up on the team. No need for such individuals.

Ghost
11-16-2009, 12:21 PM
You would have thought that after the last time Reed didn't even try to get in the way (much less make an actual tackle); they would have shown that when they were watching the game film as a team and embarrasssed the hell out of him. Shamed him into wanting to try harder. Or showing Sepulva springting down and laying a guy out as what's expected. Guess not.

I've always been a big fan of Reed on the field and his ability to handle kicking at Heinz, but its time to bring in a legitimate challenger (not some scrub off the street) and see if he's replaceable.

Oviedo
11-16-2009, 12:27 PM
The guy is a kicker........he has zero athletic ability..ZERO. He is not in there to make the tackle. He's there to kickoff and if needed, a last line of defense.

He's a good kicker and very accurate. Not all kickers used to play LB in college like Daniel Sepulveda.

Reed looked like a thousand kickers before him have looked when trying to make a tackle, pathetic...Nothing new. Actually, he reminds me of Gary Anderson. A good fg kicker, but has a weak leg bad for, short kickoffs,50 yard plus fg's and change of direction when trying to tackle.

You're right he is in there to kick but unfortuntely as stated he can't reach the endzone which is giving these returners a big advanatge. They have 5 yards of momentum by the time of coverage teams get near them.

Gary Anderson was light years better than Reed.

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 12:40 PM

You're right he is in there to kick but unfortuntely as stated he can't reach the endzone which is giving these returners a big advanatge. They have 5 yards of momentum by the time of coverage teams get near them.

Gary Anderson was light years better than Reed.

I dont think Gary was light years better than Reed. Reed has made a career 82.5% of his fg's. Gary had career average of 80.1%. Gary had a 77.35% average after 8 years in like Reed.

Gary also rarely reached the end zone on a kickoff....numbers are not everything and I dont think Reed is better, but I think they are very similar.

flippy
11-16-2009, 12:49 PM
Can Sepulveda kick off?

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Can Sepulveda kick off?

I've been wondering the same thing. He must not be able to or it's just another one of those things that goes untested or unnoticed or both.

SteelCrazy
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
They are very different styles though...As a former punter in high school, I was pretty good, but I couldn't kickoff to save my life and my field goal kicks were very short and straight on approach. Needless to say I only punted.

steelerkeylargo
11-16-2009, 01:39 PM

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who blames Reed for that loss should have their head examined. It was a week effort from just about everyone out there. Reed actually was about the only guy who performed!!!!

NC Steeler Fan
11-16-2009, 01:40 PM

I disagree 100% on two points.

Number one: yes, he is a kicker, but he has pads on and is paid millions of dollars to do what's necessary to help the team. Part of his role IS the last line of defense on a run back...all kickers know that. Which brings me to point number two.

He did NOTHING.

Man, please go back and watch it again. He didn't make a lame tackle like a hundred other kickers. You can forgive kickers for a "weak" effort, but Reed made NO EFFORT. He didn't even lean or lunge at the guy. He even looked like he slowed up as if to make it appear the guy outran him.

He watched him run past him, period.

If he's there next year and I go to women's camp where he's a trainer for us like he is every year, you can bet your asc I'm going to let him hold it...

NC Steeler Fan
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who blames Reed for that loss should have their head examined. It was a week effort from just about everyone out there. Reed actually was about the only guy who performed!!!!

Sorry, I disagree.

Yes, he put our only points up on the board, but his behaviour on the run back was a conscious choice that I cannot forgive or overlook.

I am not hanging the loss completely on him. But, if it were the only reason we had lost a game, you would have all been screaming for his head.

He had complete control over his actions and what I saw has no explanation whatsoever. He would have to come up with a groin injury during the kick that prevented him from even falling towards the guy to change my mind...

Like I said, it wasn't called out on the indy/patsie pre-game show as "the worst play of the day" for nothing....

anger 82&95
11-16-2009, 02:32 PM

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who blames Reed for that loss should have their head examined. It was a week effort from just about everyone out there. Reed actually was about the only guy who performed!!!!In my opinion itís more of a cumulative effect. This will be the second time that Reed has made less effort than a corpse to stop an extremely important return. Add to that the missed kicks, asinine off-field behavior and habitual intoxication and a certain pattern begins to emerge.

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 10:05 PM

So where was he?

steelerkeylargo
11-16-2009, 10:35 PM
sorry fellas but half the kickers in the league would look just as assinine!!!!

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 11:09 PM

I don't give a f**k about half the kickers in the league.

Reed didn't even have to hit him...all he had to do is get in front of him and slow down or fall down...but he couldn't even do that.

He was called out on ESPN tonight for the Vikings game and for yesterday's game. He deserved to be called out. I'm glad they did it and I hope the coaches and his teammates are doing it too.

Jooser
11-16-2009, 11:31 PM
I also hope that the coaches are daring anyone else on the pathetic kick coverage team to be any where near the ball carrier before he hits the 25~30 yard line. Gee, that'd be swell!

kindlecatsb'ng
11-16-2009, 11:40 PM
to me if you are part of the team, you do everything to make sure the team has success.
It is frustrating to see how he's whiffed it twice. Only got to see a few plays before boarding an airplane; however, this is nuts. The whole team seemed lethargic and dazed. Cinci came to play and the Steelers seemed out of sync.
Does Skippy have some desire to leave the Steelers and is trying everything to get out?
Am totally disappointed in yesterday's outcome.

steelerkeylargo
11-16-2009, 11:50 PM

Reed didn't even have to hit him...all he had to do is get in front of him and slow down or fall down...but he couldn't even do that.

He was called out on ESPN tonight for the Vikings game and for yesterday's game. He deserved to be called out. I'm glad they did it and I hope the coaches and his teammates are doing it too.

Espn can call him out all they want.....that is not the reason the Steelers lost the game. The fact that the offense couldnt execute in the redzone IS!

stlrz d
11-16-2009, 11:53 PM

Espn can call him out all they want.....that is not the reason the Steelers lost the game. The fact that the offense couldnt execute in the redzone IS!

Reed not making a play (or even trying to when he had a chance) was as much a reason for the loss as any other reasons.

He was right effing there...right in front of the guy.

He did nothing.

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 08:06 AM
[quote=steelerkeylargo]sorry fellas but half the kickers in the league would look just as assinine!!!!

Reed not making a play (or even trying to when he had a chance) was as much a reason for the loss as any other reasons.

He did nothing.[/quote:24jbnfdr]

He did nothing? He did everything his body allows him to do, which isn't a lot. Do you really believe he missed him on purpose or just went at him half a$$ed?

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 08:26 AM
He did nothing? He did everything his body allows him to do, which isn't a lot. Do you really believe he missed him on purpose or just went at him half a$$ed?

There is nothing "half" about Reed's a$$. :mrgreen:

I agree with you to a great extent. Reed doesn't have the physical ability. The kick returner pushed toward the sideline then cut back. I don't believe Reed can process two ideas at once when he's running. When the cut back came, Reed just has way too long a delay loop to be able recover/adjust.

Now, I can fault Reed for not practicing any kind of tackling or "at the very least learn how to slow a guy down or make it difficult" skills.

stlrz d
11-17-2009, 08:56 AM
At one point Reed was RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RETURNER.

All he had to do was fall down...or even slow down. Hell, he could have pretended he was drunk and stumbled.

He made ZERO effort when he was in position to do something.

That is inexcusable.

Favre made more of an effort at Fox than Skippy did at the returner.

SteelAbility
11-17-2009, 09:33 AM

All he had to do was fall down...or even slow down. Hell, he could have pretended he was drunk and stumbled.

That is inexcusable.

He was right front of the runner, but he had momentum. When the other guy has practiced cutting and moves and he can process in 0.1 seconds what it takes the other guy half a second to process he can totally bamboozle the guy. It's a dynamic situation, not static. In the P. Harvin return, Harvin ran right into Reed. So, I'll fault Reed for playing two-handed touch there. This case is different. Reed simply cannot process the information fast enough.

SteelTorch
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM

I disagree 100% on two points.

Number one: yes, he is a kicker, but he has pads on and is paid millions of dollars to do what's necessary to help the team. Part of his role IS the last line of defense on a run back...all kickers know that. Which brings me to point number two.

He did NOTHING.

Man, please go back and watch it again. He didn't make a lame tackle like a hundred other kickers. You can forgive kickers for a "weak" effort, but Reed made NO EFFORT. He didn't even lean or lunge at the guy. He even looked like he slowed up as if to make it appear the guy outran him.

He watched him run past him, period.

If he's there next year and I go to women's camp where he's a trainer for us like he is every year, you can bet your asc I'm going to let him hold it...
I agree 100%. I missed it happen live, but watched the highlight later and couldn't BELIEVE what I saw. He basically avoided making the tackle and kept running like an idiot. I don't know if it's laziness, fear, or whatever, but something's gotta give. :x

We've not given up a league-high 49 points in non-offensive TD's. They've already cost us two games against the Bungles. If we don't fix it now, we will NOT make it to the Superbowl. Period.

Steeler Mafia
11-17-2009, 12:40 PM

That is inexcusable.

We may not agree on some things, but here you are absolutely correct. He made NO effort what so ever, when he was in position, to even slow the returner down. I don't expect Reed to make the tackle, but at least delay him enough so that the real tacklers can.

steelerkeylargo
11-17-2009, 03:04 PM
[quote=steelerkeylargo]sorry fellas but half the kickers in the league would look just as assinine!!!!

He did nothing.[/quote:2of1ui78]

Mike Tomlin on the subject.

Q: Should Jeff Reed have done more as a tackler on the last two returns for touchdowns?

A: Man, I am not going to go down to evaluating Jeff Reed as a tackler. When it comes down to that, we have failed as a coverage unit. I donít lose any sleep on the quality of Jeff Reedís tackles Ö or tackle attempts

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 03:25 PM

He did nothing.

Q: Should Jeff Reed have done more as a tackler on the last two returns for touchdowns?

A: Man, I am not going to go down to evaluating Jeff Reed as a tackler. When it comes down to that, we have failed as a coverage unit. I donít lose any sleep on the quality of Jeff Reedís tackles Ö or tackle attempts[/quote:1m2cqnga]

He's only the head coach, what does he know? I can't believe some are glad Reed's contract is up based on two missed tackles and/or pi$$ poor attempt's at tackling. I think we are way to spoiled with this team.

Steelerphile
11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
For all of his brashness and supposed prowess with lifting weights. I think Reed is afraid of what would happen if he actually hit someone playing real football in a real football game. He must think he would dislocate both his shoulders, break his kneecap and be on life-support for rest of his life.

Bro' you just have to dive in and test the waters. It is not as bad as you think it is.

NC Steeler Fan
11-17-2009, 05:07 PM
For all of his brashness and supposed prowess with lifting weights. I think Reed is afraid of what would happen if he actually hit someone playing real football in a real football game. He must think he would dislocate both his shoulders, break his kneecap and be on life-support for rest of his life.

Bro' you just have to dive in and test the waters. It is not as bad as you think it is.

I don't have his stats here in front of me, but from a center of gravity standpoint, he's a squat little thing. Every year in camp, he's buffed his upper body and has those legs looking like tree trunks. He should be very capable of taking a hit and getting up.

Hell, I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs...with full pads on I would have at LEAST dove at the guy's lower body as he ran past, grabbing whatever I could to keep myself from hitting the ground!

He wussed.

RuthlessBurgher
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't have his stats here in front of me, but from a center of gravity standpoint, he's a squat little thing. Every year in camp, he's buffed his upper body and has those legs looking like tree trunks. He should be very capable of taking a hit and getting up.

Hell, I'm 5'5" and 135 lbs...with full pads on I would have at LEAST dove at the guy's lower body as he ran past, grabbing whatever I could to keep myself from hitting the ground!

He wussed.

Grabbing whatever you could from his lower body, eh? :twisted:

NC Steeler Fan
11-17-2009, 05:36 PM

He wussed.

Keep yer mind on football... :P

steelz09
11-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I can't believe the blame put on Jeff Reed here for not making a better attempt at a tackle.

He's the freakin' KICKER! How many other kickers do you see around the league that are good in tackling? Could he have made a better attempt against the Vikings and the Bengals, sure ....Could he kick the ball further, sure .. but...

But what about the STARTERS (i.e. Gay) and the 2nd string CB's, Safety, LINEBACKERS, etc? It shouldn't even come down to the kicker 99.9% of the time. These other special teamers are the one to blame. Their performance has been unacceptable. Last game, there was little too none sense of urgency on ST's. They were sloppy in respect to staying in their lanes. And when I watched the game over again, many of them couldn't fight through blocks or they were on the ground... all around a terrible performance.

Oh, and btw -- we have given up 7 TD's which is leading the league at the moment.

SteelCrazy
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM
I can't believe the blame put on Jeff Reed here for not making a better attempt at a tackle.

He's the freakin' KICKER! How many other kickers do you see around the league that are good in tackling? Could he have made a better attempt against the Vikings and the Bengals, sure ....Could he kick the ball further, sure .. but...

But what about the STARTERS (i.e. Gay) and the 2nd string CB's, Safety, LINEBACKERS, etc? It shouldn't even come down to the kicker 99.9% of the time. These other special teamers are the one to blame. Their performance has been unacceptable. Last game, there was little too none sense of urgency on ST's. They were sloppy in respect to staying in their lanes. And when I watched the game over again, many of them couldn't fight through blocks or they were on the ground... all around a terrible performance.

Oh, and btw -- we have given up 7 TD's which is leading the league at the moment.
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap
That's all I have been trying to say........

feltdizz
11-17-2009, 08:14 PM
You guys are tripping up the stairs... Reed is a kicker.. Period.

Look at Favre's effort when we were returning TD's in the Vikings game. Look at both Mannings and look at kickers who do make tackles and miss the next 4 games with an injury and the new kicker misses fg's and they miss the playoff.

I've seen like 3 kickers in my lifetime make tackles or want to mix It up on kick offs.

stlrz d
11-18-2009, 12:24 AM

He did nothing.

A: Man, I am not going to go down to evaluating Jeff Reed as a tackler. When it comes down to that, we have failed as a coverage unit. I donít lose any sleep on the quality of Jeff Reedís tackles Ö or tackle attempts[/quote:chwws42a]

That's wonderful...you don't expect your kicker to be the guy to make tackles routinely.

But the kicker purposely does NOT run down field with the rest of the coverage unit because he functions as a safety valve. When all else fails he is there to make SOME kind of attempt.

Reed was in front of the returner...RIGHT in front of him. All he had to do was slow down a bit and the rest of the coverage would have caught up. No processing information, no deciphering angles, no nothing...just slow down so the returner has to cut, causing him to slow down and allowing the coverage to get there.

He failed...and embarrassed himself.

Inexcusable.

RuthlessBurgher
11-18-2009, 02:14 AM
[quote=Steelerphile]For all of his brashness and supposed prowess with lifting weights. I think Reed is afraid of what would happen if he actually hit someone playing real football in a real football game. He must think he would dislocate both his shoulders, break his kneecap and be on life-support for rest of his life.

He wussed.

Keep yer mind on football... :P[/quote:1qilihxn]

If one of the guys here mentioned grabbing whatever you could from his lower body, then I would have posted an Ace & Gary picture. :wink: