PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Rush Rank

NorthCoast
11-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Don't know if anyone noticed the dramatic climb in the Steelers rushing rank (now at #15). Considering we were as low as 27th ranked this is a rather huge jump. And it was against a few teams that have decent rush defenses (Cinci #2, Minny #5, Denver #7). While Mendenhall has come up big I think the OL is really starting to get its act together in the run game. Kemo has shown great talent at pulling to the right. Colon has settled down at RT. But the name we don't hear alot about and was frequently dissed on this board is Hartwig. It makes me wonder whether last year was really a case of Hartwig having to cover up others' mistakes and trying to do too much. Hartwig has been solid but maybe not spectacular. We also don't here Essex's name called alot which makes me think he really was an upgrade over Stapleton. Overall, I think the run game has potential to crack the top 10 before the season ends.

Oviedo
11-15-2009, 10:05 AM
As mentioned in other threads the paytience shown by the organization letting this OL "grow" together has been paying dividends. An area of "perceived" weakness by panicing fans is now becoming a solid unit that in a year or two may be mentioned among the best in the NFL.

Another example of why some people get paid to be part of the NFL and others play Fantasy Football.

Don't underestimate the contribution of Mendy and his style of running. He reads his blocks well and knows how to set up his blocks. Another great pick up.

papillon
11-15-2009, 11:54 AM
The increase in rushing output is the combination of a good young back running hard with vision and power, the offensive line coming together as a unit and the fact that Ben Roethlisberger is a player that you have to account for on every play.

Focus on Ben and the run game will gash you. Focus on Mendenhall, Parker and Moore and Ben will light it up. Pick your poison as a defense.

Pappy