PDA

View Full Version : Dammit!!

Flasteel
11-13-2009, 09:06 PM
I just found out the Steeler bar I've been going to for the past couple of years (Cherry's) closed down without notice the other day. All of the sudden my Sunday comfort zone has been smashed into Bolivia and I am looking for safe harbor.

I'm in the Bradenton/ Sarasota area and I was wondering if anyone has heard of any good suggestions. I mean I was born and raised here, so I should have some small clue myself, but I tend not to pay too much attention and the time is short to start asking around. I checked the National Steeler bar registry and all of them are bunk or closed.

Fanatics is out of the question. My friend and I were part of the original crew there back in '93 or '94, but we left because the owner is a bitch...besides, my buddy can't deal with the smoke.

We are going to tentatively try Findaddy's down in Sarasota. I remember hearing that it was a Steelers bar and there is an internet reference to a Sarasota Steeler fan club that watches games there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

papillon
11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
I just found out the Steeler bar I've been going to for the past couple of years (Cherry's) closed down without notice the other day. All of the sudden my Sunday comfort zone has been smashed into Bolivia and I am looking for safe harbor.

I'm in the Bradenton/ Sarasota area and I was wondering if anyone has heard of any good suggestions. I mean I was born and raised here, so I should have some small clue myself, but I tend not to pay too much attention and the time is short to start asking around. I checked the National Steeler bar registry and all of them are bunk or closed.

Fanatics is out of the question. My friend and I were part of the original crew there back in '93 or '94, but we left because the owner is a bitch...besides, my buddy can't deal with the smoke.

We are going to tentatively try Findaddy's down in Sarasota. I remember hearing that it was a Steelers bar and there is an internet reference to a Sarasota Steeler fan club that watches games there.

Well, there's High Tops on the North Shore and a plethora of other places on the Southside and any bar in Oakland will have the Steeler game on. Or are you looking for a bar/restaurant a little closer to the Bradenton/Sarasota area? :tt2

Pappy

sd steel
11-14-2009, 12:23 AM
Sorry, the only one I knew of was Fanatics, in fact I had an Uncle come out last week, and he was the biggest smoker of them all, (he doesn't go there anymore....he quit drinking), and that is still where a majority of my distant relatives and friends go weekly. We used to go there then over to Club Mary's in the early ninties. I haven't been back to Fla since. But I know there is one less smoker there!

RuthlessBurgher
11-14-2009, 12:59 AM

Well, there's High Tops on the North Shore and a plethora of other places on the Southside and any bar in Oakland will have the Steeler game on. Or are you looking for a bar/restaurant a little closer to the Bradenton/Sarasota area? :tt2

Pappy

Hi-Tops closed 2 years ago, Pap. But I think that it is a bit further north than he was looking anyway. :wink:

Flasteel
11-14-2009, 02:00 AM

Pappy

Yes, this was exactly the kind of constructive suggestion I was looking for.

Thanks Paps.

Oh yeah...

:moon

Flasteel
11-14-2009, 02:03 AM
Sorry, the only one I knew of was Fanatics, in fact I had an Uncle come out last week, and he was the biggest smoker of them all, (he doesn't go there anymore....he quit drinking), and that is still where a majority of my distant relatives and friends go weekly. We used to go there then over to Club Mary's in the early ninties. I haven't been back to Fla since. But I know there is one less smoker there!

I remember you telling me that you've been there. That was actually one of the reasons I mentioned that it was off the list. I'd love to go back 'cause there's some good guys there, but my reasoning stands.

Djfan
11-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Don't know your area at all, but here's the FL ones I found:

Coach's Sports Bar / South Daytona , FL
2030 S. Ridgewood Ave., South Daytona , FL 32119 ~ (386)-679-9327
Discounts to all card carrying SCM members

O'Brien's Irish Pub / Tampa , FL
11744 N. Dale Mabry Hwy. , Tampa , FL ~ (813) 961-4092
http://www.obrienstampa.com

Rudy's Sports Bar / Largo, FL
11100 66th St # 40l, Largo , FL 33773 ~ (727) 546-2616

Benchwarmers / Clermont , FL
528 8th Street, Clermont , FL 34771 ~ (352) 241-4336
http://www.benchwarmerssportsbar.com

Bedrock Cafe Sports Bar and Grill / Lakeland, FL
3201 Us Highway 98 S / Lakeland, FL 33803 ~ (863) 665-3372

Hope it helps! If you want to approach a place about being a Steel City Mafia hang out, I will help you get it going!

Flasteel
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM

Hope it helps! If you want to approach a place about being a Steel City Mafia hang out, I will help you get it going!

Just the fact that you took the time to look makes me very appreciative DJ. However, some of those places are 5 hours or so away. Largo and Tampa are within an hour, but that ain't gonna happen.

Now back in the day, I used to travel over an hour to watch games. When I got out of the Army in '89, there were really no satellite dishes around, so you got stuck with the CBS or NBC game and that was it. That year I started watching week-old games on tape that were sent to my buddy from his brother in Pa. The next year we found a bar in North Tampa that played Steeler games each week, so we traveled. We did this for a couple of years until bars in Bradenton finally got satellite reception around '92.

Djfan
11-14-2009, 12:15 PM

Just the fact that you took the time to look makes me very appreciative DJ. However, some of those places are 5 hours or so away. Largo and Tampa are within an hour, but that ain't gonna happen.

Now back in the day, I used to travel over an hour to watch games. When I got out of the Army in '89, there were really no satellite dishes around, so you got stuck with the CBS or NBC game and that was it. That year I started watching week-old games on tape that were sent to my buddy from his brother in Pa. The next year we found a bar in North Tampa that played Steeler games each week, so we traveled. We did this for a couple of years until bars in Bradenton finally got satellite reception around '92.

No problem Brother. Wish I could help better.

sd steel
11-14-2009, 02:14 PM
Hey FLA, what me and my brother used to do as well, when we weren't looking to hang out with a bunch of people, we would go to an Applebees or Chilis, or what ever chain sportsbar/ restaurant we had in the area, and get there early in front of a TV. Of course make sure they have Sunday ticket, most of the Chains do nowadays, and request to have the game put up on your nearest TV. We would normally get great service, eat and drink all day, and watch our own game in our own booth.

We would normally call in advance, and normally there would be other Steeler fans around, because they are everywhere, so a small crowd would develop.

Option #2 was we went to a sports bar owner and asked them to turn a portion of their bar in to a Steeler bar on game day. I had a guy put up a hand written banner out front, and with some word of mouth it was turned into a huge Steeler hangout by the second game they played the game. The guy made so much more money on Sunday's that he ended up comping us for a whole season....free beer is good! Just some ideas.

Djfan
11-14-2009, 02:18 PM
This is what I got back from the friends I sent this out to:

Clancey's
Cortez Rd & 63rd St W
Bradenton, FL 34209

Fan-atica's Sports Bar & Grille
4669 Cortez Rd W
Bradenton, FL 34210-3146

Sports Legends
Tamiami Trail
Bradenton, FL