PDA

View Full Version : Steeler CB's = 0 Ints

Herewegosteelers!
11-12-2009, 10:58 PM
I just realized that the Steeler CB's have no interceptions at all halfway into the season. Are they just not holding on to the ball, or are they just not too good? When it comes to playoff time and + - turnover difference, will the CB's not coming up with the ball cost them a game? :?

fezziwig
11-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Wow, that's a horrible stat.

stlrz d
11-12-2009, 11:49 PM
They play 10-15 yards off the LOS so they're not able to jump routes like other corners.

Wolfhound45
11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
We give away passing yardage left and right between the twenties. Then clamp down in the red zone. Does not mean the pass defense is not getting the job done. Just doing it in a different way.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-13-2009, 12:47 AM
Everyone knows Ike has hands of stone, and Willie, well, he's just "g--"...
(Figured I'd better not spell out the word, or I might get fined and suspended).

steelblood
11-13-2009, 08:37 AM
This stat is a result of a combination of factors...

As some have said,

-Ike has bad hands
-Our CBs often play well off the line to avoid getting beat deep

Also,

Gay often gets turned around by quick #2 receivers and is too busy chasing to make a play on the ball.
Deshea is still very smart, but is quickly losing what little speed he had and is a liability on extended plays.
Raitliff has been very shaky at dime back and has recently been replaced on occasions by Mundy (I believe).

I look forward to seeing Burnett get a chance in dime situations. I think he is a real ball hawk and will be our nickel back of the future.

papillon
11-13-2009, 11:52 AM
There's another thread about the the Steeler secondary and tackling. The secondary msy not have the splash plays that you'd like to have in a secondary, but they are sure tacklers and based on D1ck Lebeau's comments he's quite happy with their tackling.

In the Denver game alone they had 3 tackles on third down short of the sticks and forced a punt. These are the kinds of stats that go unnoticed by the casual fan. When your defense gets off the field they've done their job and this defense is finding its stride right now. since, Troy has been back they have put together a couple outstanding efforts.

If Troy stays healthy the Steelers defense will be ranked number one by year's end.

Pappy

Jooser
11-13-2009, 11:58 AM
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/jadypaydee/Chicken-Little.jpg :D

ikestops85
11-13-2009, 12:31 PM
Our system is not condusive for the corners to make a lot of interceptions. That's why it never bothered my that we didn't draft Revis. His talent would be wasted. We want corners that can tackle and keep plays in front of them. They will get some interceptions when the pass rush forces the QB into making a mistake but aside from that we don't want them to gamble.

That's why when we get no pass rush it's like death by a thousand cuts. The QB just throws for 5, 7, or 10 yards and they march down the field. The success of the defense is predicated on the fact that not many teams can drive 13 or 15 plays without making that one mistake ... be it an incompletion on 3rd down, a sack, or a turnover.

While it can be frustrating at times Bad Word has them playing it almost to perfection and when it is on it's a thing of beauty. :Cheers

steelblood
11-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Our system is not condusive for the corners to make a lot of interceptions. That's why it never bothered my that we didn't draft Revis. His talent would be wasted. We want corners that can tackle and keep plays in front of them. They will get some interceptions when the pass rush forces the QB into making a mistake but aside from that we don't want them to gamble.

That's why when we get no pass rush it's like death by a thousand cuts. The QB just throws for 5, 7, or 10 yards and they march down the field. The success of the defense is predicated on the fact that not many teams can drive 13 or 15 plays without making that one mistake ... be it an incompletion on 3rd down, a sack, or a turnover.

While it can be frustrating at times Bad Word has them playing it almost to perfection and when it is on it's a thing of beauty. :Cheers

I agree generally. But, you can't totally blame the system and sweep it under the rug. Willie Williams and Rod Woodson had some good years in LeBeau's same system. Williams picked off 7 balls in '95 when Rod was hurt for the year. Even Dwyane Washington had several years of 4 or 5 picks in similar systems. Ike has been more of a 1-3 picks per year guy. If he had good hands, he'd have 4-7 per year. That isn't a lot, but it is significant.

grotonsteel
11-13-2009, 01:00 PM
William Gay almost had 1 INT but there was a PI from Troy on that play... :D

papillon
11-13-2009, 02:14 PM

http://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/rofl.gif

Pappy

ikestops85
11-13-2009, 02:33 PM

So you're saying there was a Gay reception in which Troy had a pie ... :moon
:lol:

flippy
11-13-2009, 03:16 PM
We also don't give up big plays and do a pretty good job wrapping guys up in the open field and limiting YAC. Ike's been really solid this year. Gay seems to be targeted a bit more, but he's still not giving up big plays which is good.

SidSmythe
11-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Both SuperBowl Years the Steelers CB's had 5 ints & 6 ints respectively. I dont recall the Steelers ever getting a lot of INTs from CB's since the 90s. It's a different game from then since back then if you broke 60% Completion %, you were an elite QB. Now if you throw under 60%, you suck!!
QB's just aren't throwing the INT's like they use too.

Shoe
11-13-2009, 08:59 PM
It's not that unusual.

It's not terribly uncommon for a CB to have no INT's at this point in the season. I'm guessing that a few will fall into Gay's hands before the year ends.

As for frying pan hands (I say it tongue-in-cheek; I like Ike), it's a wonder that he gets any INT's any year. The guy should fight Roberto Duran (i.e. manos de piedra)

pittpete
11-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Jay Cutler would love you

SidSmythe
11-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Jay Cutler would love you

HAHA!!!
i just read my post again and thought to myself, "Except Jay Cutler" then I flip the page 2 and I find this!!
Well in my defense I think I wrote this before Thurs. Nights game?? RighT???

papillon
11-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Both SuperBowl Years the Steelers CB's had 5 ints & 6 ints respectively. I dont recall the Steelers ever getting a lot of INTs from CB's since the 90s. It's a different game from then since back then if you broke 60% Completion %, you were an elite QB. Now if you throw under 60%, you suck!!

The completion percentage is due to the lack of deep passing in general and lower YPAs for many quarterbacks (except the elite QBs) and that is why tackling by a cornerback is a necessity more than ever. D1ck Lebeau needs corners that can tackle and our corners have been doing a great job of tackling. I'll take it.

Pappy

Herewegosteelers!
12-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Another dropped one yesterday by Burnett, 1 dropped in KC. That's what I'm talking about....The CB's still have yet to make one int and it possibly cost them two games! :HeadBanger