PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben Speaks

SteelCrazy
11-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Here is what Ben Roethlisberger said today about the Steelers' upcoming game against the Bengals among other things in his weekly Q&A session with reporters:

Q: Does Bill Cowher predicting the Bengals to win the AFC North before the season started drive you at all?

A: "I don't remember what he said."

Q: Can you talk about the importance of this being a division game?

A: "We want to win every game, but when you’re playing the division, it kind of is a little extra motivation."

Q: What stands out about their defense?

A: "Their cornerbacks are playing really well, and they’re blitzing and doing some different things. They’ve thrown a couple of blitzes in that have given teams some problems, so we’ve got to try to get an answer for it."

Q: Can you take advantage of the defense if the corners are too aggressive?

A: “Sometimes. We’ve got some good weapons. We got Santonio (Holmes) last week with a really good corner in Champ Bailey. We’ll have to take our shots when they’re there. We can’t be scared, just have to have our offense play the way we know how.”

Q: Last time you played against the Bengals, the defense took a lot of grief for not closing out the game. Offensively, is there something you could have done differently in the fourth quarter?

A: “We could have closed the game out. We’re not going to put it on the defense. We could have done it on offense. We feel that offensively we left a lot out there, and the credit goes to their defense some but that was early for us and we’ve improved every week. We’re not where we want to be yet but we keep improving. It’s going to be a big test for us, but we’re moving in the right direction.”

Q: Rashard Mendenhall didn’t play on offense in Cincinnati. Can you talk about the progress he has made since that game?

A: “He’s been playing great. And more than just his yards and putting up big numbers, he’s done a good job in the blitz pick-up and knowing the offense, communicating with me if he needs help with something. I’m really proud of the way he’s stepped up and played.”

Q: Was he a closer to a degree against Denver?

A: “Sure, we got to a point where we needed to run the ball, and we gave him the ball, the line opened up holes and if there wasn’t a hole he made one.”

Q: Can you appreciate the offensive line getting upset when you are sacked?

A: “I’ve always said that’s what’s special about this group, and it’s more than just the fumble and the touchdown for them (in Denver) it’s me getting hit. I think that probably hurt (Chris Kemoeatu) more than anything. That’s what’s special about this group is they don’t like when I get hit. I just had to smack (Kemoeatu) around a little bit and tell him everything was going to be OK and that we’d just move on. That’s what’s good is that these guys can put it behind them.”

Q: When did you feel comfortable that you could chew out your offensive linemen?

A: “I don’t think I embarrassed (Kemoeatu) and I’m not one of those guys you’ll see slam the ball on the field when guys jump offsides or really start screaming. They know by my look, sometimes they joke about that. For me it’s about being able to step up as their leader and be able to do that, and I think last year was the first year I was really able to do that, that I felt comfortable doing that.”

Q: What’s it mean to have the support of your teammates with what’s going on in your personal life?

A: “It means a lot. They’re my brothers, and that’s what I expect from them.”

Q: Why did you chose to tell your story to ESPN?

A: “Next question, please.”

Q: Winning five in a row, does that give you the feeling that you’re unstoppable?

A: “No. Offensively, we have a long way to go. We’re not playing up to our level of expectations, at least I don’t think that way. Yeah, we’ve won five, but really it’s about this next game. We have to come out and play our best football to beat this team.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... en-speaks/ (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2009/11/12/big-ben-speaks/)

SteelCrazy
11-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Big Ben says, "I think that probably hurt (Chris Kemoeatu) more than anything. That’s what’s special about this group is they don’t like when I get hit. I just had to smack (Kemoeatu) around a little bit and tell him everything was going to be OK and that we’d just move on."

I'd like to see Ben smack Kemo around...lol...I can see Kemo chasing him around the side lines........ :lol: :moon

fezziwig
11-12-2009, 11:06 PM
Did Cowher really pick the Bengals over us ? I think Cowher was really wishing that on us rather than predicitng it.

Scarletfire1970
11-12-2009, 11:08 PM
Cowher has been in love with the Bengals for a few years now.

BradshawsHairdresser
11-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Cowher has been in love with the Bengals for a few years now.
Maybe he secretly dreams of coaching for them....I think it's all about his yen to wear the tiger stripes....