PDA

View Full Version : The Easy SChedule

flippy
11-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Is our easy schedule a curse?

We could be playing 8 bad teams in route to getting ready for the playoffs.

My concern is that won't make us sharp and ready for the good teams.

We could get complacent playing bad teams.

And then someone could steal a game from us they shouldn't.

How do we avoid this and ensure a SuperBowl berth and victory?

Jom112
11-11-2009, 02:11 PM

You could lose a couple of games like the one coming up Sunday. Then you have to fight and claw your way just to get to the playoffs.

Just throwing it out there... :lol:

SteelAbility
11-11-2009, 02:22 PM
That's hysterical Jom. Nicely done! It's like those posts you see that say when we get 1st and goal from the 5 we should purposely take it back to the 10 yard on 1st down and take the knee to open up the offense again. ;)

Well, there is another way to look at it. With an easy schedule ...

1) We have a better chance at getting a Bye (there's one less elimination chance right there)

2) We can rest starters more and get some bench guys more reps/minutes. That way we enter the playoffs more rested and deep. This is especially true if we lock a bye with 2 or three games left. I remember in 04, we were in a rat-race with NE for top spot and ended up going into the playoffs banged up and tired. I actually think this very thing had much to do with NE's title in 03. They were in a cup-cake division and essentially starting the season either 5-1 or 6-0 without really a whole lot of effort put forth.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 02:42 PM
call me crazy but i dont think that it is an "easy" schedule, I am sure we will be favored in all the games, but they will not be easy (other than the browns and raiders)
-ravens X2...both games will be tough to win,
-chiefs..now dont laugh, but it could be a trap game after cincy and before the rats...
-packers... should be a win, but it wont be a game to take lightly
-dolphins...i like us winning there, but they are not a bad team that we can take lightly..

for the record, after the bengal loss, i said that we would be 8-2 headed into baltimore...not tootin my own horn, but i did not toot the bed either.. :Steel

RKSteel
11-11-2009, 03:23 PM

Two Words: Mike Tomlin

He'll make the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns seem like word beaters.

I think Cowhers teams maybe had a tendency to look ahead, but Tomlin definately has the Steelers focused on that weeks opponent.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM

I think Cowhers teams maybe had a tendency to look ahead, but Tomlin definately has the Steelers focused on that weeks opponent.

I dont know RK..the lions were in the game with us on their last possesion, the browns too were in the game longer than they should of been, the two cupcakes we have had so far have been beaten but not like how they should of been, I am concerned about the chief game, i dont know why i just am, similar to the jets game 2 years ago, i had this bad feeling about it and sure enough...

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
I think we should roll in the games against the Raiders, Chiefs, and the second Browns game, but we still have 3 more tough interdivision games against the Bengals once and the Ravens twice that should determine who eventually comes out atop the AFC North. The other two are not pushovers, with the Wildcat Dolphin team (although I think our league-leading rush defense can handle them) and the Rodgers to Driver and Jennings Packer team (although I think our pash rush can punish their poor o-line and beat up on Rodgers, who holds the ball even longer than Ben).

skyhawk
11-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I agree there are maybe some easy teams coming up, but I think that our schedule is harder than we expected. Who would have thought that the Bears and Bungals would be our only losses so far? Who predicted that the Broncos would be 6-1 when we faced them (I think they were overrated anyways).

There are teams that are greatly improved (Bengals) and who knows, the Raiders and Chiefs may be improved by the time we get to them.

Jom112
11-11-2009, 05:34 PM
There are teams that are greatly improved (Bengals) and who knows, the Raiders and Chiefs may be improved by the time we get to them.

The Raiders I actually think might be more difficult than the Packer game. The Packers are just not a good team. They have a good passing game and smart corners but other than that they have nothing.

The Raiders are a mess themselves but for about 2-3 games every year they put it all together and play a decent game. Eagles game was one, I'm sure they have another one in there somewhere...

Steeler Mafia
11-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Easy! Starting next week, the Steelers need to beat every team by 40 or more points. This way the offensive rythem becomes second nature and the Defense stays hungry.

Much like zombies, if you feed them bloody corpses, they just crave more.

Oh Defense.....its DINNER TIME!!! :twisted:

:tt2 :tt2 :Beer :tt2 :tt2

papillon
11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I would ease up on the euphoria of beating the Broncos, they aren't that good and will struggle to hold on to the AFC West title. Kyle Orton is a nice backup or an average game manager, but if he has to do anything more than not screw things up the Broncos are in trouble. He wasn't that good in Chicago and he isn't that goods in Denver.

This weekend's game is going to be a close game. Thinking that the Steelers are going to walk all over the Bengals is foolhardy. This version of the Steelers hasn't played a complete game yet; if they do, it's trouble for the opponent, but, I don't see it happening.

For some reason they seem to not be able to get all facets of the game going during the same game. The offense while putting up a lot of yards took the entire first half off. Fortunately, the defense played a complete game. The cover teams did good, but returning kickoffs that go 5 yards deep is not a good decision.

This weekend would be a good time to put all the pieces together and play a complete game.

Pappy

skyhawk
11-11-2009, 07:48 PM
I would ease up on the euphoria of beating the Broncos, they aren't that good and will struggle to hold on to the AFC West title. Kyle Orton is a nice backup or an average game manager, but if he has to do anything more than not screw things up the Broncos are in trouble. He wasn't that good in Chicago and he isn't that goods in Denver.

This weekend's game is going to be a close game. Thinking that the Steelers are going to walk all over the Bengals is foolhardy. This version of the Steelers hasn't played a complete game yet; if they do, it's trouble for the opponent, but, I don't see it happening.

For some reason they seem to not be able to get all facets of the game going during the same game. The offense while putting up a lot of yards took the entire first half off. Fortunately, the defense played a complete game. The cover teams did good, but returning kickoffs that go 5 yards deep is not a good decision.

This weekend would be a good time to put all the pieces together and play a complete game.

Pappy

Agree, agree, agree Pap. I thought the Broncos looked pretty bad. I see them losing at least 4-5 more games.

SidSmythe
11-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Sometimes we just over think these things.
Tomlin's a good coach and knows not to fall asleep at anytime in this league.

anjang86
11-11-2009, 09:54 PM
and if you think about it... we do end with GB, Baltimore, and Miami.

Those aren't terrible teams and Baltimore always gives us a good fight anyway.

Mister Pittsburgh
11-11-2009, 10:04 PM

I don't think our schedule looks all that easy. Below is our schedule compared to Cincy Bungles schedule......

Our schedule vs. Bengals schedule:
@ Cheifs - @ Raiders
@ Ravens - Browns
Raiders - Detroit
@ Browns - @ Vikings
Green Bay - @ SD
Ravens - KC
@ Miami - Jets

They have two tough back to back games out on the west coast after that Detroit game. They have 4 easy teams and 3 somewhat tough teams in SD, Vikes, Jets......We have The Ravens 2x and GB will be no push over. Tough to tell if Miami will be a cake walk since we crush the run or not. Would the 'wildcat' have any effect on our defense which typically doesn't overpursue and squashes the run?

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 11:41 PM

Pappy

I predicted a blow out of the Bengals even before the Broncos game.

I'm sticking to it. ;)

signed,
hardy, fool

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2009, 01:20 AM
They have two tough back to back games out on the west coast after that Detroit game.

Did the Vikings go Hollywood as soon as Favre arrived and move from Minnesota to L.A. like the Lakers did???