PDA

View Full Version : Honest thread on Sweed

Djfan
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
It seems to be a topic. At least a few of us touched on the Sweed issue in the game chat.

My take: He hasn't panned out as we had hoped and he is expendable. We should consider him trade bait while there is still a rumor that he has potential. He has to see what Wallace is becoming, and it can't be happy for him.

Discuss.

Shoe
11-10-2009, 11:55 PM
He stinks... he's not a former first-round pick, who would garner anything (in terms of trade bait). The final book is not written on him yet of course, but given the body of work thus far, we can project.

sd steel
11-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Yeah and 5 weeks ago people proclaimed Mendenhall a bust, and James Harrison was undrafted and got cut by the Steelers 4 or 5 times. Yeah drop 3 or 4 passes and your expendable trade bait, that makes sense for a second round draft pick with minimal playing time.

Why not let him develop, we have time with Wallace stepping up, and 2 good role models in front of him. He will fill in nicely in the future just give him some time...we have it.

Djfan
11-11-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah and 5 weeks ago people proclaimed Mendenhall a bust, and James Harrison was undrafted and got cut by the Steelers 4 or 5 times. Yeah drop 3 or 4 passes and your expendable trade bait, that makes sense for a second round draft pick with minimal playing time.

Why not let him develop, we have time with Wallace stepping up, and 2 good role models in front of him. He will fill in nicely in the future just give him some time...we have it.

The time could be on someone elses clock, and we have receivers who are stepping up. We needed Mendenhall because our backfield was thin, IMO. The recieving corps is not in that position. That's the difference there.

D Rock
11-11-2009, 12:45 AM

I agree.

He isn't worth enough to throw him away in a trade. His potential is worth more than a 6th round pick that we could get for him.

Sweed can get open and make the tough catches, but drops the easy ones. Sounds a lot like N. Washington early on. He turned out to be a serviceable 3rd WR after 2 or 3 seasons.

That's all Sweed needs to be. Forget that he was a 2nd round pick and hasn't lived up to his total potential. That draft is done and over with. It will NEVER change that he was a 2nd round pick and may only end up offering late round or UDFA production.

It's not hurting the Steelers to keep Sweed on board right now to develop more. There is no risk and a decent to great reward depending on how he ends up developing. Why would you trade that?

ikestops85
11-11-2009, 12:53 AM
I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Right now he is just a head case but I think it is worth it to see if the coaches can restore his confidence. The guy can't be as bad as he has shown so far.

I don't think he would even garner a 6 round pick at this point and I don't see another receiver on the roster at present who would blossom taking Sweed's spot even if we released him. Give him through next year and if he hasn't shown significant improvement by then cut him loose.

SteelBucks
11-11-2009, 12:57 AM
It's not hurting the Steelers to keep Sweed on board right now to develop more. There is no risk and a decent to great reward depending on how he ends up developing. Why would you trade that?

:Agree

If the Steelers had a need a WR, they would have to look at other options. But this is not the case. Patience is a virtue.....let him develop and re-evaluate after a couple of seasons. Trading him at this point, at his absolute lowest value, makes no sense. Plus, I'm not ready to give up on a player, who has potential, after only 1+ seasons of pro ball.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 01:02 AM

Correctamundo!

Holmes and Wallace still have a lot of years in front of them. Ward has a few more left. We've got time to give the kid a chance.

You can't coach that size and speed...but you can coach the other things.

Way too early to give up on him.

Lonbull
11-11-2009, 04:47 AM
Here's my thinking.

1st - The 2009 Pittsburgh Steelers are a passing team, we are no longer a running / smashmouth offense. So having multple WR's that can (or should be able to play) at a high level is premium. So that's a plus for keeping Sweed.

2nd - There isn't that much demand for Limas Sweed right now - keep in mind that Chris Chambers (a starting WR for the Chargers) was recently cut - without any trade movement. In general it seems that mediocre WR talent comes fairly easy nowadays.

Ted Ginn Jr. has been more productive than Sweed and was a higher draft pick - and he's also going to be shopped around at the end of the season. Ted Ginn Jr. is also younger than Sweed! So getting "value" for Sweed is going to be very difficult - again it's another plus for keeping Sweed.

3rd - Sweed's main problem may be getting enough opportunities. Mendenhall is starting to turn it on and that's probably due to hard work, however it's mostly about getting the opportunity. Sweed is currently behind two Super Bowl MVP's and Mike Wallace - who is simply doing everything very well right now. All he can do is wait for an opportunity - as fans all we can do is hope that doesn't mean someone gets injured.

My hope is that Wallace is just a much better slot WR right now - and that's why he's being used.

There always seems to be a hope that some NFL team will just hand us a sweet deal for a player we'd like to get off our hands - but most "big" trades usually involve starters - and I'm confident that if the Steelers received the right trade offer they'd follow through.

Most likely they haven't moved Sweed because there was nothing offered by the trade deadline of interest.

If someone offers a great deal - I'm all for it - but I would just give the kid time to develop and hope he pans out to be a solid WR. Sometimes patience is best - just ask Miles Austin.

L.B.

frankthetank1
11-11-2009, 07:11 AM
sweed has no trade value and is only in his second year so its a little early to completly give up on him. the thing that bothers me is that he continues to suit up for games. i would much rather have mcdonald out there as the 4th wr. at least mcdonald can catch a ball

Discipline of Steel
11-11-2009, 08:15 AM
I agree on McD. Sweed should have at least through next training camp to get his act together. If another player beats him out for the position at that time, so be it.

AngryAsian
11-11-2009, 08:21 AM
In the past two seasons this kid hasn't produced anything that other NFL teams would covet. So the talk of trade bait is a little useless. He needs more time in the oven and we have the luxury of giving him that time. One thing for sure, by next year he'll know the play book and what we're trying to accomplish in terms of schemes, so route running should be a "no issue." As Stlrz D pointed out, you can't coach size and speed, so that again will be a "no issue." All he'll have to concentrate on is possession of the rock, which is what he was drafted for. I don't think the FO was looking at him to be the speedy burner that beats coverage down the sidelines... he's a possession receiver for sure and if given time to develop should be an asset... if he gets his head out of his rectum.

Oviedo
11-11-2009, 09:06 AM

If the Steelers had a need a WR, they would have to look at other options. But this is not the case. Patience is a virtue.....let him develop and re-evaluate after a couple of seasons. Trading him at this point, at his absolute lowest value, makes no sense. Plus, I'm not ready to give up on a player, who has potential, after only 1+ seasons of pro ball.

OK, lets be totally frank and honest. It doesn't matter what any fan thinks about Sweed and his development. Zilch! Nada!

Giving Sweed time is a no risk, potentially high pay off proposition for the Steelers. It never ceases to amaze me that some fans think there is a timeline players have follow and meet certain checkpoints to get their approval.

Fortunately we have a competent coaching staff and front office with real football knowledge and do the job the right way who could care less what fans (or media) think.

The only opinions that matter on EVER giving up on Sweed is when the coaches make that decision not fans.

phillyesq
11-11-2009, 09:21 AM
I've said this just about every time this topic comes up. Sweed has great upside, and especially with McDonald on the roster as well, there is no need for him to contribute right now. If you get rid of him, there is nobody that the Steelers can pick up with higher upside. Move him to make room for what, Dallas Baker?

In the offseason, as everybody said, he has little to no value right now. The only thing you would get for him is another team's high round bust. I'd keep Sweed.

Remember, the Steelers have the Chiefs just around the corner, and of course another meeting with the Browns. If the Steelers get up big early, it could provide an excellent opportunity to get Sweed some PT.

rpmpit
11-11-2009, 09:34 AM
[quote="D Rock":3gbld36b]

Correctamundo!

Holmes and Wallace still have a lot of years in front of them. Ward has a few more left. We've got time to give the kid a chance.

Way too early to give up on him.[/quote:3gbld36b]

Agreed. However, when using the term "correctamundo" you have to insert a pic of the Fonze. Here you go...

http://www.macsliquors.com/REUNION/missing/calendar_fonze_small.jpg

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 09:44 AM
[quote="D Rock":oljwbi7w]

Correctamundo!

Agreed. However, when using the term "correctamundo" you have to insert a pic of the Fonze. Here you go...

http://www.macsliquors.com/REUNION/missing/calendar_fonze_small.jpg[/quote:oljwbi7w]

When inserting a picture of the Fonz you have to spell his name correctly...Fonz.

There you go. :D :D :D

rpmpit
11-11-2009, 09:55 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1p9hbxin][quote="D Rock":1p9hbxin]

Correctamundo!

http://www.macsliquors.com/REUNION/missing/calendar_fonze_small.jpg[/quote:1p9hbxin]

When inserting a picture of the Fonz you have to spell his name correctly...Fonz.

There you go. :D :D :D[/quote:1p9hbxin]

I guess the spelling of a fictional characters nickname could be debatable. And when posting a pic of the Fonze or Fonz or Fonzie, etc., typing out his name kinda kills the effect of the pic. Its like telling a joke and then saying, "Get it?"

Get it?? :D :D :D

MeetJoeGreene
11-11-2009, 10:08 AM
I have soured on Sweed.

I think he will actually need a change of scenery for something to click. I really do.

It is too late to trade him this season.

I, personally, would dangle him in the offseason and if I can get a 4th rounder, I take it.

A fourth rounder can be used to get a project w/ potential or as a trade up package to get a player we covet in a lower round.

Otherwise, I give him one more camp and if he doesn't improve - cut him.

NorthCoast
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Been down on Sweed for a while. But mulling this over, perhaps he just needs that ONE breakout game to regain his confidence. But the only way that game will happen right now is due to injury and that is not something I am hoping for. In the meantime, he needs to learn how to make an impact on special teams just like Harrison and others started their careers.

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Been down on Sweed for a while. But mulling this over, perhaps he just needs that ONE breakout game to regain his confidence. But the only way that game will happen right now is due to injury and that is not something I am hoping for. In the meantime, he needs to learn how to make an impact on special teams just like Harrison and others started their careers.

Hopefully we continue our excellent run, and by the end of the season, if playoff scenarios are cemented, we can rest a few veteran players (like Hines) for the final regular season game, and Sweed gets an extended opportunity to perform in that last game against Miami to show off some of that potential and gain some confidence like Willie did a few years ago in the final game against Buffalo when starters were resting.

NWNewell
11-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I agree that he is expendable, with the emergence of Wallace (and Holmes, Hines, Heath as other weapons).

But at the same time, we have the luxury of patience with him due to the emergence of Wallace. In my mind, we don't need him until Ward, Holmes, or Wallace retire or leave. I don't know that we "need" to free up the roster spot at the moment. So we can remain patient if the coaches still think he's worth it.

But if circumstances change and wee need the roster spot, I would have no problem parting ways with him.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 02:45 PM
we are not in a need to rush sweed, just let him learn even more....i really believe he runs nice routes and does all the other things right, once he gets confidence and starts to catch the ball than he will be fine....he will be okay, just wait....i said this about mendy too....as for harrison, if someone in here said after the third time he was cut that he would be a superstar than they should be in the pro football hall of fame somewhere...

Snatch98
11-11-2009, 04:03 PM
The NFL is a game of opportunity and taking advantage of that opportunity. Sweed hasn't taken advantage of his opportunities. He's still a young WR that played BIG for a BIG TIME college program. He's got the size, the speed to get open and what seems to be a will to improve. He just has a bad case of the dropsies and a limited amount of chances to prove otherwise. Mike Wallace stepped up and I like everyone else am thrilled. However you don't teach 6'4 with good speed, and it's not like he came from a rinky dink college program.

I could run off a substantial list of current NFL players that started slow and blossomed in to something worthwhile. It's just a matter of opportunity and taking advantage of it. Do i think Ryan Moats is a better RB than Steve Slaton? Hell no but Slaton was putting the ball on the ground so his opportunities have been cut back. The same can be said for Mendenhall. Everyone ready to trade Sweed needs to sit back and relax and look at the big picture.

1. If we trade Sweed what the hell do we trade him for? We don't have any glaring needs. Defensive line depth?

2. Plenty of WR's start slow, Roddy White is a good example of this and because of this reality there is the widely accepted "3rd year wide receiver coming out party theory"

3. Pittsburgh drafted him in the second round for a reason. Thrilled that Wallace pans out but Hines is older, Shaun McDonald was a wire pick up for Security and that leaves Limas. Sweed will be a player. He just needs time to calm down and get his head in the game. He has good character and once again seems to have a good work ethic.

The term head case is thrown a little loosely around here and while I know what most of you mean by Head Case, (mental dropsies) Sweed hardly means any of the "legit" head case criteria.

Pittsburgh isn't trading Limas Sweed just like Mendenhall isn't a bust or Timmons for that matter. Enough with the instant gratification around here.

EDIT: And trade him for a 4th rounder to acquire a project with Potential? lol Sweed isn't a project with Potential? Mind you a higher drafted one but the boy certainly has potential. I love the Steelers and our fan base and respect the opinion of many on this board, but our lovely fan base borders on the ridiculous sometimes with talent assessment. Let's PLUG IN REDMAN ASAP!

calmkiller
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I can't wait until Alonzo Jackson takes over for Harrison!!

Sorry wrong....yea

Sweed will be fine.

Steeler Mafia
11-11-2009, 05:47 PM
I think that this year, McDonald should be our 4th WR. However, I don't think that we should give up completely on Sweed. There is no hurry to free up a roster spot for whatever reason, and this will give time for Sweed to get over his mental block of catching the ball. Jerry Rice in his first few years at San Fran dropped numerous passes and look how he turned out. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that Sweed will be the next Hall of Famer / Legendary receiver in the NFL, but then again we don't know what he is actually capable of. Give him time to develop and see what happens. If after a few more years he still doesn't catch on what have we lost. It is not like he has any trade value at this time anyway.

(I am such a hypocrit....I was all over this guy after the dropped pass in Cincy. Go Figure)
:HeadBanger
Oh by the way..... :bungalssuck

aggiebones
11-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Yep, its semi-early and we've beaten this dead horse.
He doesn't deserve time, but if injuries occur, he'll get a chance at some point. If he flops again and again, his contract will run out or be close enough that we cut him.
He's not horribly expensive and is likely as good of a 5th WR as we can find.
I don't give him alot of love, but he's not a total waste and he's not expensive.
He'll hit his stride or vanish in about another year.

SteelBucks
11-11-2009, 07:08 PM

OK, lets be totally frank and honest. It doesn't matter what any fan thinks about Sweed and his development. Zilch! Nada!

Giving Sweed time is a no risk, potentially high pay off proposition for the Steelers. It never ceases to amaze me that some fans think there is a timeline players have follow and meet certain checkpoints to get their approval.

Fortunately we have a competent coaching staff and front office with real football knowledge and do the job the right way who could care less what fans (or media) think.

The only opinions that matter on EVER giving up on Sweed is when the coaches make that decision not fans.

Well said Oviedo. BTW, this is OT, but do you post over on the OSU Ozone website? I was reading the message board and saw your username.