PDA

View Full Version : So much for flying off the radar

DHSF
11-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Jim Trotter had an interesting article on the sportsillustrated website. Relevant quotes below:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/jim_trotter/11/10/predictions/index.html

6. The Steelers will not lose another regular-season game. The belief among personnel people is you had better beat the Steelers early in the season because they get stronger as the year progresses. Sure enough, the defending Super Bowl champions have won five in a row and look to be finding their rhythm. More eye-opening: The Bengals are the only team left on Pittsburgh's schedule with a winning record. Scary.

10. Pittsburgh will win the Super Bowl. The Steelers are only two field goals away from being undefeated, and no one is really talking about them. Coach Mike Tomlin has to love that. Anyway, I have Pittsburgh, Indy, New England and Denver as my division winners, with San Diego and Cincinnati as the wild cards. Pittsburgh beats San Diego in the conference final. In the NFC I have New Orleans, Arizona, Minnesota and Philadelphia as division winners, with Dallas and Atlanta as the wild cards. New Orleans beats Minnesota in the conference final. Pittsburgh defeats New Orleans 27-24 for its second consecutive Lombardi Trophy.

Djfan
11-10-2009, 11:29 PM
Gotta love Trotter!

frankthetank1
11-11-2009, 07:49 AM
the saints steelers sb would be a dream come true for the nfl. best offense against one of the best defense's and not to mention the steelers are one of the most popular team's. if they play like they did on monday and against the vikes than they will be in the sb once again. just hope the injury situation doesnt get worse. the steelers are the most balanced team in the nfl without a doubt

flippy
11-11-2009, 07:55 AM
more and more of the talking heads are saying the steelers are going to win the superbowl and they are the favorite.

we're not under the radar as much as many want to believe.

Uncle Rico
11-11-2009, 08:09 AM
"The belief among personnel people is you had better beat the Steelers early in the season because they get stronger as the year progresses." [/quote]

Ain't that the truth.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
A Steelers / Saints SB would be Reeediculous!!!

Now to keep it in perspective...One game at a time boys!

Iron Shiek
11-11-2009, 09:13 AM
A Steelers / Saints SB would be Reeediculous!!!

Now to keep it in perspective...One game at a time boys!

To steal a line from Stlrz_D: We don't put the helmets on so we can look ahead all we want. :)

Unless you are worried about jinxing the steelers, but I don't believe in that.

SteelAbility
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
more and more of the talking heads are saying the steelers are going to win the superbowl and they are the favorite.

Our D has had a few games where they were just getting handled in the 4thQ. We took a step in the right direction against Denver. If that can keep up along with the improved OL play, Wallace and Mendy our chances are more than strong.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 09:24 AM
oh good more "expert" predictions....lets make preseason picks, than mid season picks and than post season picks....i bet this guy had the titans winning thier division and giants winning it all, expets know as much as us, and the one thing they now realize they can count on without looking foolish is picking the steelers

Jom112
11-11-2009, 11:15 AM

Especially not in Vegas. You guys are 7 point favorites against us on Sunday...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-11-2009, 01:19 PM

Steelers are in more of a "must win" scenario than the Bengals. This is a playoff game for us. There is urgency...No doubt. Bengals 4-0 in division...Pretty much says if the Steelers loose...The Bengals have to drop 2 of their last 7 while the Steelers go 7-0. A Bengals loss basicly only puts the Bengals a 1/2 game back while they have 1 divisonal game left with the Browns and the Steelers have 3 divisonal games left...2 against the Ravens. It will be a great game no doubt. Lets hope it is a healthy & safe game for both of the teams!

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM

Steelers are in more of a "must win" scenario than the Bengals. This is a playoff game for us. There is urgency...No doubt. Bengals 4-0 in division...Pretty much says if the Steelers loose...The Bengals have to drop 2 of their last 7 while the Steelers go 7-0. A Bengals loss basicly only puts the Bengals a 1/2 game back while they have 1 divisonal game left with the Browns and the Steelers have 3 divisonal games left...2 against the Ravens. It will be a great game no doubt. Lets hope it is a healthy & safe game for both of the teams!

i agree, if they win, they will be staring at 10-2 with games against oakland, cleveland and detroit next. they only have san diego and minnesotta as their final test before postseason, we need to win this bc if we dont I see them winning at least 12 games so we would have to be perfect the rest of the way to even think of winning the division......but its a long way off and i see us winning this game,

NW Steeler
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
I certainly think that there is more pressure on the Steelers than the Bengals for the balance of the season. We still have the Ravens twice. After Sunday, the Bengals just have one divisional game left against the Browns. That makes both games against the Rats HUGE. They are always big games, but these will be as big as they were last year. Sunday is a must win! Of course, our boys ALWAYS show up big when it counts the most. GO STEELERS!

:bungalssuck

Jom112
11-11-2009, 02:01 PM

i agree, if they win, they will be staring at 10-2 with games against oakland, cleveland and detroit next. they only have san diego and minnesotta as their final test before postseason, we need to win this bc if we dont I see them winning at least 12 games so we would have to be perfect the rest of the way to even think of winning the division......but its a long way off and i see us winning this game,

I actually think we might need the win more. While our next three games *should be easy after that it does get a bit harder.

You guys don't face another opponent over .500 for the rest of the season.

While we have Minnesota, SD and the NYJ all on the road. The Jets game worries me because of Rex Ryan. I had a theory last offseason that we might fair well against the NFC East because Zimmer our new DC coached in that division for a long time. Even with how bad we were last season we barely lost to the Cowboys and Giants. Then tied the Eagles and beat the Redskins. Not overly impressive but that fact that each of the games came down to the wire I think had a lot to do with Zimmer. Similarly Rex Ryan should help the Jets when they play us, so that game should be a close one.

The other issue is that if we lose, we're most likely fighting for a wild card. Seeing as how we lost already head-to-head against the Broncos and the Texans, that puts us at a disadvantage tiebreaker wise.

Still a long season and I see the Bengals reaching the playoffs, but this game is a big one...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-11-2009, 04:35 PM

I actually think we might need the win more. While our next three games *should be easy after that it does get a bit harder.

You guys don't face another opponent over .500 for the rest of the season.

While we have Minnesota, SD and the NYJ all on the road. The Jets game worries me because of Rex Ryan. I had a theory last offseason that we might fair well against the NFC East because Zimmer our new DC coached in that division for a long time. Even with how bad we were last season we barely lost to the Cowboys and Giants. Then tied the Eagles and beat the Redskins. Not overly impressive but that fact that each of the games came down to the wire I think had a lot to do with Zimmer. Similarly Rex Ryan should help the Jets when they play us, so that game should be a close one.

The other issue is that if we lose, we're most likely fighting for a wild card. Seeing as how we lost already head-to-head against the Broncos and the Texans, that puts us at a disadvantage tiebreaker wise.

Still a long season and I see the Bengals reaching the playoffs, but this game is a big one...

Well you know as well as we do the Raven games have no relation to record. 4-4 is the same as 8-0.

The big reason for the importance is tie breaker. Bengals win...They own #1 & #2 divisional tie breaker when the clock hits 0. Steelers win...#1 tie breaker is thrown out & #2 is still up for grabs.

That being said...The worst the Bengals could is 4-2 in the division. The worst the Steelers could do is 2-4. In reality, the Bengals would finish 5-1 in the division & the Steelers could end up 4-2 with one loss to the Ravens. Tie breaker #2 to the Bengals.

Now I'll take it a step further & confuse you....
This is all speculating the Steelers & Bengals will end up 1 & 2. If the Ravens leap frog both of us while we tie and the Bengals have the tie breaker on the Steelers than the best the Steelers could do for the playoffs is the #6 seed. Even if you get an L at the Chargers and the Steelers, Bengals, Chargers or Broncos end up with the same record...The Bengals would be up against the Chargers or Broncos for the #5 before us even though we beat both. In that scenario where the Chargers beat the Bengals...The Steelers don't even make the playoffs!

That is really putting it "Way" out there...But this game is a "must" for the Steelers.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 11:16 PM
There's no flying under the radar in a 5 star* match up.

*It's a 5 star match up cuz we're in it.

Captain Lemming
11-11-2009, 11:35 PM

Thank you Flippy. That "off" the radar was driving me nuts.