PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 09:24 PM
that this guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Zgonina) is still in the league?

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 11:40 PM
Wow. I had no idea he was still around.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 12:52 AM
Wow. I had no idea he was still around.

Amazing, isn't it?

Took me a long time to remember how to pronounce his name. Skah-NEE-NAH. :lol:

skyhawk
11-11-2009, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I remember seeing him earlier this year during a texans game. Couldn't believe it. I remember him at Purdue when I was a college student at Indiana. He is 39, like me.

16 years is a frickin long time. Especially for a dlineman. I wonder if he is close to the record # of games by a DL?

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 09:47 AM
I wonder if he is close to the record # of games by a DL?

Vikings' old DE Jim Marshall played forever. When Favre got the record of 271 consecutive starts earlier this season, it was Marshall that he passed.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 09:48 AM

Vikings' old DE Jim Marshall played forever. When Favre got the record of 271 consecutive starts earlier this season, it was Marshall that he passed.

I believe Marshall played in a total of 280 something games.

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 11:07 AM

Correct! Marshall played in 282 consecutive games (a record broken by Jeff Feagles...which is kind of weak. An ironman record for a d-lineman is awesome. An ironman record for a punter? Not so much.) But his record 270 consecutive starts was surpassed by Favre (which I don't understand...how could Feagles not own both? How does he play as a punter, but not start? He's either the starting punter or he's not on the roster. There are no backup punters in this league. The backup punter is the kicker, typically).

SteelAbility
11-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Correct! Marshall played in 282 consecutive games (a record broken by Jeff Feagles...which is kind of weak. An ironman record for a d-lineman is awesome. An ironman record for a punter? Not so much.) But his record 270 consecutive starts was surpassed by Favre (which I don't understand...how could Feagles not own both? How does he play as a punter, but not start? He's either the starting punter or he's not on the roster. There are no backup punters in this league. The backup punter is the kicker, typically).

Really!? I always thought Berger was a backup punter. ;)

skyhawk
11-11-2009, 02:37 PM
When I saw that Ska NeeNah was still playing I immediately thought of Bruce Matthews of the Oilers. Another lineman that played forever.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM

I give Marshall a lot more credit than I do either of those guys. He played DE and was knocking heads on every play.

Plus he played in an era where a lot of blocks that are now illegal were legal...and used often.

RuthlessBurgher
11-12-2009, 01:07 AM
[quote=skyhawk]I wonder if he is close to the record # of games by a DL?

I give Marshall a lot more credit than I do either of those guys. He played DE and was knocking heads on every play.

Plus he played in an era where a lot of blocks that are now illegal were legal...and used often.[/quote:2sf6hqol]

And, yet, the man is only remembered now for running the wrong way with the ball. Sad, really.