PDA

View Full Version : Time to show some love

NYPDSTEEL
11-10-2009, 08:48 PM
Since Colon has become a starter he has been getting ripped pretty good on this board, and rightfully so. But his play in my opinion has been remarkable. I believe he should move to the top of list as far as our priority signing list even ahead of Ryan Clark. What is harder to find a good right tackle or a free safety?

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 09:53 AM
In the "half way through the season, is willie colon a must sign?" thread, this topic is discussed.

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8886

I mentioned the likelihood of retaining Colon for one more year with a RFA tender if there is no new CBA.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 10:33 AM
best offensive line in football is in pittsburgh, just kidding, but it was the bottome five last year, and i would put it in the top 10 this year....quite a turnaround, i wish they had stats for pancake blocks bc keamatu would lead in them....i think he would lead in pancakes consumed too........ruthless will be posting pancakes in 5.4.3.2.....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
In the "half way through the season, is willie colon a must sign?" thread, this topic is discussed.

I mentioned the likelihood of retaining Colon for one more year with a RFA tender if there is no new CBA.

Ruth...Since it seems are are very knowledgeable with the CBA or have access to it...Is there a way the Steelers could structure a contract for Colon, going into the uncapped year, to be front loaded? Meaning, absorbing the bulk of the base salary in year one as to making the remaining years more cap friendly. Much like the Big Ben deal that gave him that high cap number in the first year of his contract. I know I heard of a rule that prevented teams from restructuring current contracts in an uncapped year only being able to increase by a certain percentage. Colon should qualify as a termed vet because he did have a year of RFA. If this is possible it would be a great tool. The Steelers might be able to secure the services of this OL for several years by not eating up the cap for years to come.

Example:
Something like 5yr/22mil/5mil SB
1st year - 9 mil base / 1 mil SB
2nd year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
3rd year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
4th year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
5th year- 2 mil base / 1 mil SB

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 11:32 AM
best offensive line in football is in pittsburgh, just kidding, but it was the bottome five last year, and i would put it in the top 10 this year....quite a turnaround, i wish they had stats for pancake blocks bc keamatu would lead in them....i think he would lead in pancakes consumed too........ruthless will be posting pancakes in 5.4.3.2.....

http://thesimplefrontporch.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/waffles.jpg

Close enough.

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 11:34 AM

Ruth...Since it seems are are very knowledgeable with the CBA or have access to it...Is there a way the Steelers could structure a contract for Colon, going into the uncapped year, to be front loaded? Meaning, absorbing the bulk of the base salary in year one as to making the remaining years more cap friendly. Much like the Big Ben deal that gave him that high cap number in the first year of his contract. I know I heard of a rule that prevented teams from restructuring current contracts in an uncapped year only being able to increase by a certain percentage. Colon should qualify as a termed vet because he did have a year of RFA. If this is possible it would be a great tool. The Steelers might be able to secure the services of this OL for several years by not eating up the cap for years to come.

Example:
Something like 5yr/22mil/5mil SB
1st year - 9 mil base / 1 mil SB
2nd year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
3rd year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
4th year - 2 mil base / 1 mil SB
5th year- 2 mil base / 1 mil SB

You referenced the stipulation that a team cannot exceed a year-to-year raise of more than 30% in this scenario, but I am not sure if the same 30% rule also applies in reverse, where a salary cannot drop precipatously from one season to the next.

Oviedo
11-11-2009, 02:44 PM
What were the terms of Kemo's contract. I think it will take that plus about 20-25% to sign Colon since OTs are a more valuable commodity.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
i believe kemo was 5 yrs 20 million

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 05:13 PM
i believe kemo was 5 yrs 20 million

That is correct. $6 million of it is guaranteed, including a $3.885 million signing bonus.

skyhawk
11-11-2009, 05:35 PM
I believe the real stare of the Oline right now is Kemo.