PDA

View Full Version : Heard on NFL Radio

SteelCrazy
11-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Larry Johnson wants to be a steeler. Said its not going to happen though...duh

frankthetank1
11-10-2009, 05:25 PM
every time i hear about L J the steelers are brought up as a possible team for him. i think there is obviously no chance that will happen, why do they say this though? besides the fact he is from PA and played at PSU, so what.

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I heard them say that last night on MNF. It's very doubtful. I actually think it would turn into a ton of friction with LJ and Mendenhall and destroy some chemistry. I'm a bit conflicted about this and have been waffling. Yesterday I was all for a bargain basement signing, but LJ just has too many problems and too big an ego that could completely disrupt the locker room.

proudpittsburgher
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I heard them say that last night on MNF. It's very doubtful. I actually think it would turn into a ton of friction with LJ and Mendenhall and destroy some chemistry. I'm a bit conflicted about this and have been waffling. Yesterday I was all for a bargain basement signing, but LJ just has too many problems and too big an ego that could completely disrupt the locker room.

If we didn't have Mendenhall, I would be all for it. I just don't see a reason for it now, and I also don't think LJs ego can handle splitting time. And the more I think of it, LJ doesn't strike me as a guy who can put his history behind him. He hit's women, you can't put that behidn you, it is in his DNA. I get the feeling he is going to be a character issue guy whereever he goes. Not a good fit with the Steelers.

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 08:58 PM
every time i hear about L J the steelers are brought up as a possible team for him. i think there is obviously no chance that will happen, why do they say this though? besides the fact he is from PA and played at PSU, so what.

Because Larry said it himself. It's coming from him. He said if he clears waivers he would like to play for the Steelers.

SteelCrazy
11-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Maybe he has a career with Dancing With The Stars....

Djfan
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM
He wants to find out what the post season is like. We're a great bet to be there.

BATMAN
11-10-2009, 09:54 PM
To me this guy gets a lot of air time and I really never seen what was so good about him. I knew he had talent coming out of college but after that, he wasn't a factor to his team other than being a distraction for the most part.

frankthetank1
11-11-2009, 07:46 AM

Because Larry said it himself. It's coming from him. He said if he clears waivers he would like to play for the Steelers.

its not just larry saying it though. i have heard a bunch of media types throwing the steelers out there as a possible team for him. sheffter, mort and a few others. pretty strange. they must not know the steelers very well if they think its realistic. we dont even need another rb. mendenhall, parker and moore can get the job done. its a deep backfield

Discipline of Steel
11-11-2009, 08:25 AM
It would be interesting to see him in the backfield with Mendy as the FB. He is still a big strong man with obvious skilz (2 x 1700 yrd seasons) that maybe got off track in KC. If he wants to play for the Steelers so bad, i think it would be worth bringing him in for a workout and testing if hes willing to accept a different role than hes used to. I not saying automatically sign him though...

AngryAsian
11-11-2009, 08:31 AM

its not just larry saying it though. i have heard a bunch of media types throwing the steelers out there as a possible team for him. sheffter, mort and a few others. pretty strange. they must not know the steelers very well if they think its realistic. we dont even need another rb. mendenhall, parker and moore can get the job done. its a deep backfield

I have to disagree, frank. I don't want this to evolve as yet another FWP hate thread, but I don't see Parker making this team very deep. Willie is such a rhythm runner and you need to be in the lineup to get that rhythm. Clearly Mendy is firing on all cylinders and will be getting the bulk of the load. It would be nice to have another stud in there like Williams/Stewart in Carolina or Thomas/Bell in New Orleans, but not at the team's expense. I don't think Larry is the answer, but like everybody's else's speculation, FWP might not be wearing B&G next year and we'll need to have another stud in the backfield. I just don't have the confidence in Willie anymore.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 09:05 AM

But the reason they're saying it is because LJ said it. They're just running with the hypothetical since LJ put it out there. Had he said he wanted to play for the Patriots they'd be doing the same thing.

SteelAbility
11-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Maybe he has a career with Dancing With The Stars....

Problem is he might beat up his partner if she doesn't block for him.

Oviedo
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
It would be interesting to see him in the backfield with Mendy as the FB. He is still a big strong man with obvious skilz (2 x 1700 yrd seasons) that maybe got off track in KC. If he wants to play for the Steelers so bad, i think it would be worth bringing him in for a workout and testing if hes willing to accept a different role than hes used to. I not saying automatically sign him though...

Somewhat torn on this because he has baggage but as we saw with FWP the last couple of years and Mendy last byear you cannot have enough good RBs on your roster. Remember we are one Mendy injury from going back to an anemic running attack that no one needs to gameplen to stop.

From a playing standpoint would you rather have LJ or Carey Davis? This could be a no risk signing because you get him for nothing and if he isn't a perfect citizen you cut him loose immediately. No slack.

IMO won't happen though.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Somewhat torn on this because he has baggage but as we saw with FWP the last couple of years and Mendy last byear you cannot have enough good RBs on your roster. Remember we are one Mendy injury from going back to an anemic running attack that no one needs to gameplen to stop.

From a playing standpoint would you rather have LJ or Carey Davis? This could be a no risk signing because you get him for nothing and if he isn't a perfect citizen you cut him loose immediately. No slack.

IMO won't happen though.

Thought I just heard that whoever signs him will have to give him $2.2mil.

rpmpit
11-11-2009, 09:29 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2v1x5zuz]It would be interesting to see him in the backfield with Mendy as the FB. He is still a big strong man with obvious skilz (2 x 1700 yrd seasons) that maybe got off track in KC. If he wants to play for the Steelers so bad, i think it would be worth bringing him in for a workout and testing if hes willing to accept a different role than hes used to. I not saying automatically sign him though...

IMO won't happen though.

Thought I just heard that whoever signs him will have to give him $2.2mil.[/quote:2v1x5zuz]

I heard this morning that the Chiefs are responsible for the $2.2 mil and that anyone who signs him will get him cheap.

I'd like to sign him just so the Pats don't get him. Not that I'm afraid of him, but because I'm sick of hearing about how "troubled" players go to NE and are reborn. Give me a friggin' break :twisted:

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 09:35 AM

Larry Johnson had 1700+ yard seasons in 2005-2006. For comparison's sake, Willie Parker ran for 1202 in 2005, 1494 in 2006, and 1316 in 2007, so FWP has actually had success more recently than LJ.

Mendenhall has 528 yards in 5 starts. If you projected those numbers over a 16 game season...it would tie Barry Foster's team record of 1690 yards. And you want him to switch to fullback in order to bring in a malcontent who hasn't been successful in 3 years?!?! Dear Lord...

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 09:43 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2ur9fw3z]It would be interesting to see him in the backfield with Mendy as the FB. He is still a big strong man with obvious skilz (2 x 1700 yrd seasons) that maybe got off track in KC. If he wants to play for the Steelers so bad, i think it would be worth bringing him in for a workout and testing if hes willing to accept a different role than hes used to. I not saying automatically sign him though...

IMO won't happen though.

I heard this morning that the Chiefs are responsible for the $2.2 mil and that anyone who signs him will get him cheap.

I'd like to sign him just so the Pats don't get him. Not that I'm afraid of him, but because I'm sick of hearing about how "troubled" players go to NE and are reborn. Give me a friggin' break :twisted:[/quote:2ur9fw3z]

I heard it just before I posted but wasn't really paying attention. I heard something about it, read what was posted and responded.

But like I said, I wasn't really paying attention. That's why I started with "thought" because I wasn't sure. :oops:

rpmpit
11-11-2009, 10:06 AM
[quote=Oviedo][quote="Discipline of Steel":1z7tf05x]It would be interesting to see him in the backfield with Mendy as the FB. He is still a big strong man with obvious skilz (2 x 1700 yrd seasons) that maybe got off track in KC. If he wants to play for the Steelers so bad, i think it would be worth bringing him in for a workout and testing if hes willing to accept a different role than hes used to. I not saying automatically sign him though...

IMO won't happen though.

I'd like to sign him just so the Pats don't get him. Not that I'm afraid of him, but because I'm sick of hearing about how "troubled" players go to NE and are reborn. Give me a friggin' break :twisted:[/quote:1z7tf05x]

I heard it just before I posted but wasn't really paying attention. I heard something about it, read what was posted and responded.

But like I said, I wasn't really paying attention. That's why I started with "thought" because I wasn't sure. :oops:[/quote:1z7tf05x]

Wasn't attacking ya, d. Just posting the info that I heard on NFLN last night. They said that once he cleared waivers, the Chiefs became responsible for the money.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 10:26 AM
mortenson loves to report stuff that isnt true just so that he gets attention....just bc larry johnson wants to play for the steelers does not mean that he will be a steeler....my goodness, mortenson is a total jackass if he thinks that we will sign him, we have mendenhall who looks to be an emerging star, and than we have m moore as a perfect 3rd down back and lost in the shuffle is our former 2 time super bowl champion willie parker....yea lets get l.j too...........

hey what about redman.... :stirpot