PDA

View Full Version : half way through the season, is willie colon a must sign?

frankthetank1
11-10-2009, 01:35 PM
i think yes. im shocked with the progress he has made. more so than the improvement in starks. its even been a while since he has commited a false start. not to say clark isnt just as important to sign i think colon is much more important. the o-line has finally come together and are a very solid young group. im not sure the steelers should franchise colon like they did with starks, but they should definetly pay him his money, he has definetly earned it imo.

Jom112
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I think the O-Line has been playing really well this season for you guys. Ever so often they'll miss an assignment but that happens to all O-Line's. The running lanes are getting bigger and the pass protection has been above average.

And I agree with your comments on Colon. Tough to find good Tackles in this league, I would resign him...

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 01:48 PM
It's likely that we will not have a new CBA in place for next season, meaning that we could retain Colon for one more year at the same RFA tender (in the neighborhood of $2 million) that we are paying him now. If there was a CBA, he could be an unrestricted free agent after 4 accrued season, but without a CBA, he would need 6 accrued seasons to reach unrestricted free agency, and since he is not there yet, he would be a restricted free agent again.

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
It's likely that we will not have a new CBA in place for next season, meaning that we could retain Colon for one more year at the same RFA tender (in the neighborhood of $2 million) that we are paying him now. If there was a CBA, he could be an unrestricted free agent after 4 accrued season, but without a CBA, he would need 6 accrued seasons to reach unrestricted free agency, and since he is not there yet, he would be a restricted free agent again.

Good point RB.

I agree frankthetank. I can't believe I'm typing this, but Colon looks 100% better this year. He has been great in the running game, and also very good in the passing game, at least from what I can see. Since he can be tendered again, I'd certainly do so, and then make extending him a top offseason priority.

pittpete
11-10-2009, 02:16 PM
Colons stats http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats. ... 80&team=23 (http://hosted.stats.com/fb/playerstats.asp?id=7880&team=23)

BTW, this is an excellent site which tracks individual O-lineman penalties and sacks allowed.

Resigning Colon IMHO would be good as long as they dont break the bank and give him Starks $$$.

Oviedo
11-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Could it possibly be that the Tomlin administration is actually developing players and making them better versus giving up on them after one or two seasons?

Could it be that the much criticized Larry Z. actually knew what he was doing when he started to reinvent this OL?

Could it be that the front office knew the big "cry baby" wasn't going to fit into the evolving offensive scheme and was going to be a detriment to the team?

And finally, could it be that Arians knew what he was doing all along reinventing and transitioning this offense into the most potent that the Steelers have seen since the late 70's and one that maximized and utilizes its strengths versus adhering to a "dunderhead" concept of something called "Steelers football."

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Yes.

Oviedo
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Yes.

:Agree

Chadman
11-10-2009, 06:12 PM
It certainly looks that way O.

Gotta wonder what difference having Essex playing RG instead of the weaker Stapleton makes for Colon too.

Also, factor in that Mendenhall doesn't skip around as much behind the line as Parker does, meaning the run blocking doesn't need to 'hold' for as long for the RB to take advantage of it- hiding a few flaws in the OL. And with an improved running game, comes less defenders committed to pass rushing Ben, meaning less sacks, meaning fewer poor stats for the OL...

Does anyone think that getting the running game working was the most important part of a Steelers OL revival?

Kudos to Tomlin, Arians & Larry Z.