PDA

View Full Version : Redundant Thoughts 2009 Week 9 - @ Broncos

redundantman
11-10-2009, 09:46 AM
deleted...

JTP53609
11-10-2009, 09:57 AM
1. jaworski is a moron...i was laughing when he said there have been far worse hold that have not been called, try the play before when farrior was tackled...
2. jaworski said after denvers fourth play of the night and ty laws first that "ty law has had quite a peformance tonight"
3. i did not the josh reed mishab but i also did not know that rashad mendenhall was a second year back from KENTUCKY..

i really cannot stand the bspn mnf commentators... gruden is okay but everyone else, not so much..

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
8. Kudos to Gruden owning up to sounding like a doofus when Orton got picked exactly one play after Gruden was running his mouth about how sharp Orton was looking.

Somewhere there's Broncos fan blaming Gruden for jinxing Orton. :)

10. In the first half the Broncos have a 4th and 5 that they try to convert. And they do. But they hold when they do. And of course the ubiquitous, “I’ve seen worse not called” color commentary immediately rears its stupid head.

Yes, I noticed that too. :roll: The question is "Is it a hold?" not "Have you seen worse not called"

13. Proof that ESPN’s MNF Analysts are clueless #1: At the half Gruden was commenting on how the second half will be exactly like the first half … all defense.

Noticed that too. I was thinking to myself "whatever happened to the idea of half-time adjustments.

15. Kemoeatu got beat like a drum on that sack fumble for 6. But otherwise did you notice how well the Oline played int his game? AS I recall the first false start occurred at 5:43 to go in the 4th quarter.

The OL is playing very well. Now if the D can keep up last night's 4thQ form ...

16. Now ladies and gentlemen, THAT is how you respond to the Broncos cheap score. 4 plays, 80 yards, 2 minutes, Big Ben.

Great leadership and talk with OL after that play. They came back out and kicked @$$!

20. And Mitch Berger comes up big with a 24 yard punt. Really Donko fans? … you REALLY thought you were going to win? That’s just so cute how deluded you were! That’s just adorable! Awww …

Death by burger.

23. Signs you are going to lose a football game #10: Your coach uses his last challenge to preserve 16 yards on a presumed QB forward pass.

... LMAO! At least it put the Broncos in a manageable ... uh ... 4th and 10. :roll:

25. Proof that ESPN’s MNF Analysts are clueless #3: Gruden saying at the end of the game how he loves the way the Steelers put teams away in the second half.

This one was just way over the top. Couldn't believe my ears. I actually like Gruden. His commentating has changed from the beginning of the year to now. I think the ESPN commentator indoctrination training is getting to him.

Nice read RM!

MeetJoeGreene
11-10-2009, 10:46 AM
8. Kudos to Gruden owning up to sounding like a doofus when Orton got picked exactly one play after Gruden was running his mouth about how sharp Orton was looking.

Yeah. But not before I stood up from my couch and threw the terrible towel at the TV and started yelling "WHO LOOKS SHARP NOW!!, WHO LOOKS SHARP NOW!!!"

My wife looked at me like I was a psycho and my dogs became skittish.

Then my wife proved her football ignorance by watching Tyrone Carter run as stating "WOW!! That guy is really fast".

Ghost
11-10-2009, 11:26 AM
My favorite part of the game - and probably the whole season so far - getting the ball with 7 minutes to go and absolutely ramming it down the Bronco's throat. Just demoralizing them and running at will. First down after first down. SO good!

birtikidis
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I love how espn analysts always pick against us then when we win, they try to cover themselves by overly slobbering on someone. after the game when they were interviewing Mendenhall steve young kept saying "if you run for 155 you wont get beat" well, genius, if you're running back is running for 155 every week there is a good chance that you wont get beat. but before the game it was "can pittsburgh run the ball" or "can the steelers play physical"
I hate steve young.

NW Steeler
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I love how espn analysts always pick against us then when we win, they try to cover themselves by overly slobbering on someone. after the game when they were interviewing Mendenhall steve young kept saying "if you run for 155 you wont get beat" well, genius, if you're running back is running for 155 every week there is a good chance that you wont get beat. but before the game it was "can pittsburgh run the ball" or "can the steelers play physical"
I hate steve young.

I love it when Steve Young picks against us...and he always does! And almost every time we have stuck it in his....ear?
:loser

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
Rather than just commenting that I appreciate your Redundant thoughts, I thought I'd finally contribute some of my own:

- McDaniel - I'll give him credit for a good game plan early on. He knew that the Steelers had extra time to prepare with the bye week, so he came out throwing from a run formation. He also had an extra lineman covering up the right tackle making his first start to get him through the jitters. Good coaching.

- The Offensive Line - they looked really good in both run and pass protection. Starks pretty much took Dumervil out of the game. At one point, the Broncos came with a blitz (I think it was what Gruden called the AA gap blitz, but I'm not 100% sure), and the line did an excellent job picking it up and passing guys off. Everybody on the line played great. Kemo got beat on the sack/fumble, but aside from that, I thought he played well.

- Mike Wallace - wow! What a weapon. Not only is he a great deep threat, it seems like Ben really looks for him on third down, which is amazing for a rookie.

- Logan - I understand taking the first one out of the endzone, but once it became apparent that he wasn't going to get anywhere with that approach, please, just down the ball.

- Defense - what a game. After a FG on the first drive, they shut out the Broncos. Great performance all around.

- Santonio - he had a nice game, and I especially liked him beating Champ Bailey. But, please, stop the antics! He does something asinine after each play, and I absolutely hate it. Act like a professional and go back to the huddle.

- Ben - has really evolved into an amazing leader. The way he took charge on the sidelines after the sack/fumble and then drove 80 yards in 4 plays was unreal. I can think of a certain qb who plays his home games in a dome who would have gone to the sideline and pouted and blamed the o-line. But Ben really took charge. Just amazing.

- Carter - his game has a lot of flaws, but he really seems to step up and make some big plays. Nice to have a third safety like that.

- Brian Dawkins - he was probably the only eagle I liked, and he showed that he still has it. He absolutely blew up Heath Miller on a run to the right.

- Great call not using a timeout when the Broncos had a 3rd and 13 at the end of the half. You don't want to call a TO and have them convert the play. Smart to just take the 7-3 lead knowing that you get the ball to start the second half.

- Looks like Mendy got away with a fumble on the goal line near the end. As much as I love Ward hurdling Bailey and everything else, I'm wonder why the Steelers didn't just take a knee. I can see the argument for trying to score, but I'm not a big fan of showing-up another team that you might face in the playoffs.

- Even when Timmons is healthy, I'd like to see Fox play more on running downs. He does a nice job, and a fresh Timmons on passing downs is a much better weapon.

JTP53609
11-10-2009, 01:11 PM
/.
Rather than just commenting that I appreciate your Redundant thoughts, I thought I'd finally contribute some of my own:

- McDaniel - I'll give him credit for a good game plan early on. He knew that the Steelers had extra time to prepare with the bye week, so he came out throwing from a run formation. He also had an extra lineman covering up the right tackle making his first start to get him through the jitters. Good coaching.

- The Offensive Line - they looked really good in both run and pass protection. Starks pretty much took Dumervil out of the game. At one point, the Broncos came with a blitz (I think it was what Gruden called the AA gap blitz, but I'm not 100% sure), and the line did an excellent job picking it up and passing guys off. Everybody on the line played great. Kemo got beat on the sack/fumble, but aside from that, I thought he played well.

- Mike Wallace - wow! What a weapon. Not only is he a great deep threat, it seems like Ben really looks for him on third down, which is amazing for a rookie.

- Logan - I understand taking the first one out of the endzone, but once it became apparent that he wasn't going to get anywhere with that approach, please, just down the ball.

- Defense - what a game. After a FG on the first drive, they shut out the Broncos. Great performance all around.

- Santonio - he had a nice game, and I especially liked him beating Champ Bailey. But, please, stop the antics! He does something asinine after each play, and I absolutely hate it. Act like a professional and go back to the huddle.

- Ben - has really evolved into an amazing leader. The way he took charge on the sidelines after the sack/fumble and then drove 80 yards in 4 plays was unreal. I can think of a certain qb who plays his home games in a dome who would have gone to the sideline and pouted and blamed the o-line. But Ben really took charge. Just amazing.

- Carter - his game has a lot of flaws, but he really seems to step up and make some big plays. Nice to have a third safety like that.

- Brian Dawkins - he was probably the only eagle I liked, and he showed that he still has it. He absolutely blew up Heath Miller on a run to the right.

- Great call not using a timeout when the Broncos had a 3rd and 13 at the end of the half. You don't want to call a TO and have them convert the play. Smart to just take the 7-3 lead knowing that you get the ball to start the second half.

- Looks like Mendy got away with a fumble on the goal line near the end. As much as I love Ward hurdling Bailey and everything else, I'm wonder why the Steelers didn't just take a knee. I can see the argument for trying to score, but I'm not a big fan of showing-up another team that you might face in the playoffs.
- Even when Timmons is healthy, I'd like to see Fox play more on running downs. He does a nice job, and a fresh Timmons on passing downs is a much better weapon.

i thought the same thing, but there was 2 minutes to go and they did call a timeout, so they were basically asking for it, had we just kicked a FG than they could get a quick td recover an onside and tie the game, odds against highly, but you never know...

Steelerphile
11-10-2009, 02:34 PM

Where are the threads giving Tyrone Carter some props. His game has a lot of flaws? That might be the general perception, but I don't think it is reality. He is a very underappreciated contributor. Where are the haters who claimed he would be a target and that he is the "weak link"? Two picks and a pick six? Yeah right a lot of flaws. Ryan Clark would have never made that play.

frenchie
11-10-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't mind Gruden. Can't stand Jaworski. I noticed that Steve Young had a really tough time looking at Mendenhall when they were interviewing him after the game. Young looks like he can't stomach anything that has to do with the Steelers, especially if it's something positive. :Hater

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM

Where are the threads giving Tyrone Carter some props. His game has a lot of flaws? That might be the general perception, but I don't think it is reality. He is a very underappreciated contributor. Where are the haters who claimed he would be a target and that he is the "weak link"? Two picks and a pick six? Yeah right a lot of flaws. Ryan Clark would have never made that play.

I intended that to be complimentary of Carter, not critical. He has had some tackling problems and he isn't the fastest, but he manages to make plays. Like I said, nice to have a third safety like him.

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 04:11 PM

Yeah. But not before I stood up from my couch and threw the terrible towel at the TV and started yelling "WHO LOOKS SHARP NOW!!, WHO LOOKS SHARP NOW!!!"

My wife looked at me like I was a psycho and my dogs became skittish.

Then my wife proved her football ignorance by watching Tyrone Carter run as stating "WOW!! That guy is really fast".

The old saying is that "to the uninitiate, the expert and the amateur appear the same." I remember watching that play and thinking that it looked like Carter was running through mud and I was just glad he got that big jump on everybody.

NC Steeler Fan
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
- As much as I love Ward hurdling Bailey and everything else, I'm wonder why the Steelers didn't just take a knee. I can see the argument for trying to score, but I'm not a big fan of showing-up another team that you might face in the playoffs.

What? Are you nuts? :shock:

Down by 11 with "yes, it's improbable but entirely possible" time on the clock on the road? Are we somehow immune to a potential "mile high miracle"?

No way. Hell, my blood pressure dropped 30 points when Hines goes in for six.
:lol:

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 08:32 PM
- As much as I love Ward hurdling Bailey and everything else, I'm wonder why the Steelers didn't just take a knee. I can see the argument for trying to score, but I'm not a big fan of showing-up another team that you might face in the playoffs.

What? Are you nuts? :shock:

Down by 11 with "yes, it's improbable but entirely possible" time on the clock on the road? Are we somehow immune to a potential "mile high miracle"?

No way. Hell, my blood pressure dropped 30 points when Hines goes in for six.
:lol:

Ditto. That was not the time to take a knee.

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 11:34 PM

Under 2 minutes with a two score lead? I cannot remember the Denver timeout situation, and I was a bit hazy at that point in the game (:Cheers), but I seem to remember thinking that taking a knee would have used most of the time. Of course, I may be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time).

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM

Under 2 minutes with a two score lead? I cannot remember the Denver timeout situation, and I was a bit hazy at that point in the game (:Cheers), but I seem to remember thinking that taking a knee would have used most of the time. Of course, I may be wrong (it certainly wouldn't be the first time).

I remember thinking at the time that they should take a knee but then the game situation (which I can't recall at the moment) said differently.

redundantman
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
deleted...

Starlifter
11-11-2009, 10:44 AM
i was thrilled to see them keep playing. take a knee when you're under a minute with a two score lead. until then, keep on the gas baby!!