PDA

View Full Version : I think we have a superstar on our hands

JTP53609
11-10-2009, 08:33 AM
besides me of course....I think that come next year when your looking at all the preseason stuff and player projections, that mendenhall will be listed as a top 5 RB. The way he follows his blockers (maybe too patient at times) and his quickness and power, I think that we have the running back we have been looking for......I am glad I never got on the guy for being a flop after he only played 12 combined games (9 preseason) before this year......

also..I have a feeling he is learning himself week by week. When Willie Parker was starting off, bettis was there for him to talk and support him after each series, along with dick hoak. Mendy does not really have that support, which makes what he is doing all the more impressive...

Oviedo
11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry but some of the "experts" on the board already proclaimed Mendy a bust last year. Now we are are hearing that he isn't tough enough for some of the HS wanna be football stars.

Mendy is a beast. He runs hard and he runs smart. He knows how to set up blocks and his burst and agility is unreal for a guy his size. It may be early to proclaim him a superstar but we definitely have a good, solid NFL back for years to come.

Jooser
11-10-2009, 09:45 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/20091110pd_mendenhall_500.jpg

He's a 'bute Clark!

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 11:29 AM
http://my.execpc.com/~pjsports/FOOTBALL%20PLAYER%20SCANS/JEROME%20BETTIS.jpg http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Original/012/324/04F.jpg https://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/431700201.jpg

I let y'all try to figure out my clever little football card pictogram. :wink:

NWNewell
11-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I'll admite I was one of the people getting fustrated for this guy to show something. I wasn't quite labeling him a bust, but was starting to think it's time he started showing us a little more than fumbles.

And man am I please that he got the opportunity. From the first San Deigo game, I was impressed. No so much with the raw numbers. But the way I saw him run. Willie might be faster, but Mendenhall seems to have a better burst, makes faster, stronger, and more decisive cuts moving through the whole. And does a really good job of following the blockers and quickly and decisively recognizing and getting through the whole.

And as opposed to Willie Parker, dare I say, he seems almost Bettis-like in the fact that even when there isn't much there, more often than not he seems to fall past the line of scrimmage.

Make no mistake about it, the Broncos have/had a very strong run defense. They were averaging only 86 yds/game against before the Steelers rolled into town. That average would have been good enough for #3 in the league. Cedric Benson has been a beast this year, and he only had 76 yards against them.

But you have too give a lot of that credit to the O-line and blocking. All round great job by the running game. I'm glad to see the Mendenhall we all were looking for show up. Keep up the good work son!!

NorCal-Steeler
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
The guy is exciting to watch but he scares the hell out of me with his ball control he almost lost another inside the 5 yrd line and he almost lost the ball when Dawkins hit him in the back feild. I just hope he continues to work on his ball controll skills. Alot of the credit has to go to the O-line Ben also has more time now and even Moore had some nice runs.

flippy
11-10-2009, 12:19 PM
He's just learning to play and it's looking promising.

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Tiki Barber completely relearned how to carry the ball because he fumbled a lot. It solved the problem. I hope Mendy does something similar because right now, it's a problem.

Fumbling tendency aside, his running looks very, very good. I'd like to see him develop some sort of meaness to go along with his obvious smoothness. Just get a little more fired up and not shy from contact; Initiate the contact instead of waiting for it to come to him. That may just come as he gets more and more game time reps and builds his confidence.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking Mendy. I'm being picky 'cause I'm a Steeler fan and that's what I do. I'm allowed to be picky.

I kinda feel bad for fwp. He gave us some good, hard-worked years. Unfortunately I'm not sure there will be a place for him here if he wants to be the #1 guy, the starter. I wouldn't hold it against willie if he DID wanna be the #1 guy. He's worked damn hard to be where he's at and he could be a solid #1 on another team (like the Chiefs?). His story has been a good one, a dream come true, in a way, for willie, and another diamond -n-the-rough find by the Steelers. He is a living example that hard work can overcome all naysayers if a person is willing to sacrifice (and they get that one opportunity to prove it)

SteelCrazy
11-10-2009, 12:42 PM
http://my.execpc.com/~pjsports/FOOTBALL%20PLAYER%20SCANS/JEROME%20BETTIS.jpg http://www.checkoutmycards.com/CardImages/Original/012/324/04F.jpg https://www.beckett.com/images/pgitems/431700201.jpg

I let y'all try to figure out my clever little football card pictogram. :wink:

I know that Hall used to tick me off a lot because he was always getting personal fouls. He was a hothead.

Steelerphile
11-10-2009, 02:25 PM
I still don't see how it can be said that fumbling is a problem for Mendenahll when he has had TWO fumbles in his career. That is far from an extraordinarily high number.

Watching Mendenhall run reminds me of watching a Porsche on the highway. Smooth and deceptively fast. A lot of horsepower and changes lanes with ease.

MaxAMillion
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I still don't see how it can be said that fumbling is a problem for Mendenahll when he has had TWO fumbles in his career. That is far from an extraordinarily high number.

Watching Mendenhall run reminds me of watching a Porsche on the highway. Smooth and deceptively fast. A lot of horsepower and changes lanes with ease.

Two fumbles lost or two fumbles total? It sure seems like he has fumbled more than twice in his career.

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM

First off, his "career" is what, half dozen starts? I feel this is a case in point where the stats don't tell the story imo. He could have had two last night, doubling that "career" stat. In fact, I believe he lost that one on the goal line but there wasn't enough replay evidence to overturn it imo. Also, as mentioned above, he bumbled the ball when Dawkins hit him in the backfield, very close to a turnover. Again though, I'm being a picky steeler fan. I do like what I see for the most part. I just want him to be the very best he can be in all aspects of his football game. His blitz recognition and pick up is getting better each and every game imo.

Steelerphile
11-10-2009, 02:44 PM

First off, his "career" is what, half dozen starts? I feel this is a case in point where the stats don't tell the story imo. He could have had two last night, doubling that "career" stat. In fact, I believe he lost that one on the goal line but there wasn't enough replay evidence to overturn it imo. Also, as mentioned above, he bumbled the ball when Dawkins hit him in the backfield, very close to a turnover. Again though, I'm being a picky steeler fan. I do like what I see for the most part. I just want him to be the very best he can be in all aspects of his football game. His blitz recognition and pick up is getting better each and every game imo.

I think the fumbling bit is being overplayed. Almost fumbles don't matter, fumbles in the preseason last year don't matter. Tiki Barber is far from the only running back who ever fumbled. Every running back fumbles. Franco Harris fumbled 90 times in his career. He probably had his share of almost fumbles that didn't go on the stat sheet, as every back does.

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I sincerely hope you are right steelerphile and it is indeed a non-issue. I'll gladly eat crow on this and would enjoy seeing that Mendy goes on to fumble no more than any other back.

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 03:58 PM
100 Carries for 573 Yards. 5.73 YPC.

#3 (as of today) in YPC behind

Felix Jones (41 carries at 7.3 YPC; essentially a situational runner)
Chris Johnson who is running out of his mind right now (144 carries; 959 yards; 6.7 YPC)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats? ... &Submit=Go (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&statisticCategory=RUSHING&season=2009&seasonType=REG&experience=null&tabSeq=0&qualified=true&Submit=Go)

feltdizz
11-10-2009, 04:27 PM
Somewhere DVS is glowing... I'm on board now, I knew he had it in him but until I saw on an Nfl field I wasn't ready to ship Willie out of town. Looks like we have an everydown Fwp/Bettis hybrid. He just needs to work on the small stuff, running out of bounds was a no no but Holmes let him know about it and he even looked like he knew he blew it after he did it. Ball handling is still iffy but fixible.

What I love about him is the north south without the dancing, he is one and downhill. He needs a stiff arm cause he has the homerun speed but runs out of bounds instead. Very Franco of him but hey I ain't mad.

Shoe
11-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Am I mistaken in that one of the announcers (after the near-fumble at the 4), said that he has done that in the last couple games? I don't recall that, and I'm not even sure I even heard that right...

In any case, I'm on record in saying:
a) he is our best option right now, quarters 1-3
b) he will gain yards in the league, for the simple fact that he plays on a good offense, and he has good speed and strength.
c) He still has A LOT to show, before I'm ready to say he's anything less than a one-hit wonder (e.g. Barry Foster, Worley). Of course, time will tell that story in the end.

But, you can observe signs. He exhibits inexplicable sense & timing, a lot of the time. Running out of bounds when you are trying to take the air out of the ball. Try to bounce (spin) to the outside, when all you are asking out of a run is positive yardage. And of course, holding on to the ball in crucial situations (red zone... and yes, we all know he fumbled that ball). We can even list his talking $hit the week preceding Ray Ray putting the kibosh on his year (i.e. talking smack, and getting served on it) for his terrible sense of the moment.

Like I said, I think he is clearly better option right now than FWP. And he offers more right now (except IMO the 4th Quarter) than Mewelde Moore, because of his size/speed ratio. But I'm certainly not anointing him anything, except to say he is our best guy right now. And, that he doing well right now. :Clap I hope you keeps it up.

(And lastly, for the record: these holes he's running in are gaping. Granted, Willie wasn't running through them...)

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Am I mistaken in that one of the announcers (after the near-fumble at the 4), said that he has done that in the last couple games? I don't recall that, and I'm not even sure I even heard that right...

b) he will gain yards in the league, for the simple fact that he plays on a good offense, and he has good speed and strength.
c) He still has A LOT to show, before I'm ready to say he's anything less than a one-hit wonder (e.g. Barry Foster, Worley). Of course, time will tell that story in the end.

But, you can observe signs. He exhibits inexplicable sense & timing, a lot of the time. Running out of bounds when you are trying to take the air out of the ball. Try to bounce (spin) to the outside, when all you are asking out of a run is positive yardage. And of course, holding on to the ball in crucial situations (red zone... and yes, we all know he fumbled that ball). We can even list his talking $hit the week preceding Ray Ray putting the kibosh on his year (i.e. talking smack, and getting served on it) for his terrible sense of the moment.

Like I said, I think he is clearly better option right now than FWP. And he offers more right now (except IMO the 4th Quarter) than Mewelde Moore, because of his size/speed ratio. But I'm certainly not anointing him anything, except to say he is our best guy right now. And, that he doing well right now. :Clap I hope you keeps it up.

(And lastly, for the record: these holes he's running in are gaping. Granted, Willie wasn't running through them...)

So you believe the trash talking Ray Rice over your own guy, who has never been a trash talker on any level? Ray Rice is the only person who "saw" a text. Mendy swears he never sent any text message.

Darnell Stapleton, Rice's college teammate, said that Rice talked all kinds of **** to him but he never felt the need to go to the team with it.

Watch Rice in Ravens games...he is a trash talker big time. No doubt in my mind he made this whole thing up. Funny that when one trash talking Ray retires they'll have another one to take his place.

As for Mendy, he looks damn good. Stop being such a downer.

sd steel
11-11-2009, 12:40 AM

So you believe the trash talking Ray Rice over your own guy, who has never been a trash talker on any level? Ray Rice is the only person who "saw" a text. Mendy swears he never sent any text message.

Darnell Stapleton, Rice's college teammate, said that Rice talked all kinds of bad word to him but he never felt the need to go to the team with it.

Watch Rice in Ravens games...he is a trash talker big time. No doubt in my mind he made this whole thing up. Funny that when one trash talking Ray retires they'll have another one to take his place.

I agree! Also as far as his near fumbles last night, one he slipped and the exchange was bad, and the other he was hit hard in the backfield. Plays like these are not errors by the back, they are great plays by the back to hold on to the ball to begin with. And in one sentence, Shoe, you are going to bust on a guy for not protecting the football and for spinning too much to get extra yards, then in the next sentence you say he should have stayed in bounds. My perception was we were up by alot of points, he broke free, got the first down, and wasn't able to change the ball to his left hand to protect it because the defenders were near, so he took a safe exit out of bounds instead on givng the defenders the opportunity to strip it. The time on the clock wasn't a major factor because we have a big lead and he just got another first down.

After last nights game I don't see how some of you guys can nitpick basically a rookie who is averaging 6 yards a carry who is also picking up most of his blocking assignments. He is gonna be a great back for us barring any serious injuries.

stlrz d
11-11-2009, 12:58 AM
[quote=Shoe]Am I mistaken in that one of the announcers (after the near-fumble at the 4), said that he has done that in the last couple games? I don't recall that, and I'm not even sure I even heard that right...

Darnell Stapleton, Rice's college teammate, said that Rice talked all kinds of bad word to him but he never felt the need to go to the team with it.

I agree! Also as far as his near fumbles last night, one he slipped and the exchange was bad, and the other he was hit hard in the backfield. Plays like these are not errors by the back, they are great plays by the back to hold on to the ball to begin with. And in one sentence, Shoe, you are going to bust on a guy for not protecting the football and for spinning too much to get extra yards, then in the next sentence you say he should have stayed in bounds. My perception was we were up by alot of points, he broke free, got the first down, and wasn't able to change the ball to his left hand to protect it because the defenders were near, so he took a safe exit out of bounds instead on givng the defenders the opportunity to strip it. The time on the clock wasn't a major factor because we have a big lead and he just got another first down.

After last nights game I don't see how some of you guys can nitpick basically a rookie who is averaging 6 yards a carry who is also picking up most of his blocking assignments. He is gonna be a great back for us barring any serious injuries.[/quote:37508ko1]

Correct and correct. Forgot to mention the blocking.

I recall one play where he was falling down but still managed to make his block. Compare that to Moreno trying to cut block a blitzing backer coming straight up the middle in Orton's face. :lol: