PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Mendy and the O line!

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 12:26 AM
http://www.joellesmith.com/images/Joel_Joe_Caleb_hats_off_8-03_72dpi.jpg

Shoe
11-10-2009, 12:36 AM
Mendenhall is a bust, if your expectation (as mine is) of a stud bellcow RB.

He may gain some yards in this league... after all, he is a big, strong, fast guy.

But he has no sense... he runs out of bounds when you want to salt the game away... he spins when you want an inside run... he fumbles at times when you are expected to hold onto the ball...

...and simply, he always does it when you absolutely (as the ballcarrier) should know better.

I'll cheer him on... and I think he is the best back we have in Quarters 1-3... but as I said, he's no Franco. He's no Bus. He may be a Barry Foster. He may be a better Tim Worley.

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 12:39 AM

He may gain some yards in this league... after all, he is a big, strong, fast guy.

But he has no sense... he runs out of bounds when you want to salt the game away... he spins when you want an inside run... he fumbles at times when you are expected to hold onto the ball...

...and simply, he always does it when you absolutely (as the ballcarrier) should know better.

I'll cheer him on... and I think he is the best back we have in Quarters 1-3... but as I said, he's no Franco. He's no Bus. He may be a Barry Foster. He may be a better Tim Worley.

He's 22 and playing in his 11th NFL game.

He looks good and he'll get better.

Chadman
11-10-2009, 12:45 AM
GIVE THE BALL...

TO MENDENHALL....

papillon
11-10-2009, 12:48 AM
GIVE THE BALL...

TO MENDENHALL....

As much as possible...

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
11-10-2009, 12:58 AM
GIVE THE BALL...

TO MENDENHALL....

As much as possible...

Pappy

I don't think we want the wheels to fall off the youngster just yet. Hopefully, they can get all 3 of the RB's involved and have success.

Snatch98
11-10-2009, 04:33 AM

lol.

I'd love to project more or say more but to do so would give me a headache. He's a bust? I guess we aren't watching the same football games.

Jooser
11-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Some players just have to play perfect all the time to get the credit they deserve from some people. Calling Mendy a bust after last night is fickle in the least.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-10-2009, 09:15 AM
*Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

"What the...There's something wrong with my computer."

*Tap* *Bang* *Smash*

"Hello...Is the Planet Steelers"

<<<<Shutdown Windows:/Restart Computer:/Internet Explorer:/Planet Steelers Login JUST-PLAIN-NASTY>>>>

"Oh..Ok...It is Planet Steelers.com. I was confused? I saw some of the Steeler Nation praising the OL."

An OL that plays together grows together...Give them time & they will improve. The guy lining up against Colon is seeing "stars" & Colon is seeing "dollar signs". Starks elevated his play to match his paycheck. Kemo is just light'n guys up. He got caught "flat footed" anchoring himself for a bull rush on that SACK/FF/TD RETURN but he looks good. Hartwig has these guys seeing the fronts well and he looks like the Hartwig from TN. I have to give props to Essex. I criticized him early but he has worked on his game and has become a solid player. It would be nice to see him shed a little to help his feet but he has come a long way since season start. They really have a good feel for each other. It is a beautiful thing to see it unfold over the last year and a half. Keep it up guys. The more you grow the farther we go!!!

Iron Shiek
11-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Right on JPN. I was texting back and forth with several of my friends and all I could talk about was the O-Line. I am not an O-Line watcher typically, but how could you not notice those guys pulling left and right and blasting those suckers on their DL. Mendy found the holes, but seriously, Willie could've ran behind that blocking (LVG...don't get your panties in a bunch!). The Line gets my game ball, besides Kemo basically letting Peterson sack Ben leading to the TD, I didn't see many blemishes.

I was laughing and all I could think of was LVG when I saw Parker sitting on the sideline in his bright, sparkling white uniform. You are getting your wish!! :Cheers

I still say Parker isn't compeltely useless...he'll be serviceable as a stand in to keep the chains moving (hopefully) as we get down the stretch and gotta run in bad weather.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Right on JPN. I was texting back and forth with several of my friends and all I could talk about was the O-Line. I am not an O-Line watcher typically, but how could you not notice those guys pulling left and right and blasting those suckers on their DL. Mendy found the holes, but seriously, Willie could've ran behind that blocking (LVG...don't get your panties in a bunch!). The Line gets my game ball, besides Kemo basically letting Peterson sack Ben leading to the TD, I didn't see many blemishes.

I was laughing and all I could think of was LVG when I saw Parker sitting on the sideline in his bright, sparkling white uniform. You are getting your wish!! :Cheers

I still say Parker isn't compeltely useless...he'll be serviceable as a stand in to keep the chains moving (hopefully) as we get down the stretch and gotta run in bad weather.
Parker's story isn't done here in Pittsburgh. There is no reason to rush him back let him practice, dress him, and get him a couple of carries. The longer he could stay sidelined the better the toe will get. We will need the full stable of backs down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Parker won't see the starting role unless there is an injury but he still will have his spot in the rotation. Unfortunately for him, there won't be a big paycheck here for him in Pittsburgh. Perhaps he takes a "Bettis" contract to remain a Steeler but I'm sure there will a team that throws 2-3 times what the Steelers will pay. The second question is will Parker except his role.TBD.

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
*Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

*Tap* *Bang* *Smash*

<<<<Shutdown Windows:/Restart Computer:/Internet Explorer:/Planet Steelers Login JUST-PLAIN-NASTY>>>>

"Oh..Ok...It is Planet Steelers.com. I was confused? I saw some of the Steeler Nation praising the OL."

An OL that plays together grows together...Give them time & they will improve. The guy lining up against Colon is seeing "stars" & Colon is seeing "dollar signs". Starks elevated his play to match his paycheck. Kemo is just light'n guys up. He got caught "flat footed" anchoring himself for a bull rush on that SACK/FF/TD RETURN but he looks good. Hartwig has these guys seeing the fronts well and he looks like the Hartwig from TN. I have to give props to Essex. I criticized him early but he has worked on his game and has become a solid player. It would be nice to see him shed a little to help his feet but he has come a long way since season start. They really have a good feel for each other. It is a beautiful thing to see it unfold over the last year and a half. Keep it up guys. The more you grow the farther we go!!!

I've been very critical of them, but I'm quick with praise when they praise when they do well.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-10-2009, 10:18 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":h0dttayl]*Tap* *Tap* *Tap*

*Tap* *Bang* *Smash*

I've been very critical of them, but I'm quick with praise when they praise when they do well.[/quote:h0dttayl]

They really did deserve some of the criticism coming from the growing pains. Ben also took on some of the blame because of his style of play. The only important thing is the plan is taking shape. It is what you expect as you put an OL together. There are growing pains and criticism with the process. But when it all comes together, like it seems to be, you can use all of the negative as motivation and build on it. The OL took the challange on "head-on" and seems to be coming out on top. Good work on there part but don't stop here. You can always improve.

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 10:34 AM
Mendenhall is a beast, if your expectation (as mine is) of a stud bellcow RB.

There, corrected it for you. Have you tried the spell-check?

You make a very good point about his running the ball out of bounds. I'll go along with that. As far as the bell-cow RB goes. I'll take a guy who gashes for yards and can beat 195 pound DBs to the corner over a bell-cow guy any day.

He had several plays where a little extra burst got him past the defender and on to more yardage. A bell-cow guy can't do that.

NC Steeler Fan
11-10-2009, 10:37 AM

I suppose now is a good time to mention that me and a group of coworkers ran into Willie Parker in Chapel Hill during lunch on the Friday before the bye last weekend.

My coworker went to carolina with him and of course as we were getting a pic made I quietly leaned in and asked him "How's that toe doing?" That's when he said he was in town to go to Duke for treatment. That tells me he's nowhere near where he needs to be with it to play.

One other thing that surprised me was how lean he was!! Yeah, yeah, when I put my arm around his waist for the picture, I was feeling for his conditioning. :lol: He's way too skinny if you ask me to be a power back....

Now, as for the pic...you know me...can't figure it out on this end and I don't dare go to too many non-business sites while I'm at work to upload stuff... :oops:

Oviedo
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM

What an amazing "glass half empty" view. A RB shreds the #1 defense in the NFL and he is a liability in all aspects of his game.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 02:29 PM

What an amazing "glass half empty" view. A RB shreds the #1 defense in the NFL and he is a liability in all aspects of his game.

Well, you know if you take away his 24 yard run, and his 28 yard run, and his 36 yard run, and his 18 yard run, then he only had 49 yards on 18 carries. That's a 2.7 yard average! Bustenhall!!! :lol:

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 05:45 PM

Well, you know IF you take away his 24 yard run, and his 28 yard run, and his 36 yard run, and his 18 yard run, then he only had 49 yards on 18 carries. That's a 2.7 yard average! Bustenhall!!! :lol:

Or Mendenbust. :roll: :mrgreen: I corrected the IF for you.

AngryAsian
11-11-2009, 07:58 AM

Well, you know if you take away his 24 yard run, and his 28 yard run, and his 36 yard run, and his 18 yard run, then he only had 49 yards on 18 carries. That's a 2.7 yard average! Bustenhall!!! :lol:

I see some Willie-logic in there somewhere. I don't care who you are, that ****'s funny! :lol: