PDA

View Full Version : The NFL's Grand Circle Of Crap

Chadman
11-09-2009, 06:28 PM
It seems every year most watchers of the NFL can name 5-6 'Power Teams', teams that we just know are going to be thereabouts come play-offs time. Teams like our beloved Steelers, the Pats, Colts, Philly...they always seem to be thereabouts. It comes as an enormous shock when these teams don't, in fact, make the play-offs. Fans start topping themselves, players have emotional breakdowns, Coaches quit to take up pottery & John Madden eats 15 chickens in 2 minutes just to deal with the ramifications of the 'Power Teams' not performing as expected.

But what about the other end of the scale? What about those teams everyone knows will suck. The Lions. The Raiders. The Rams. The Browns. The Chiefs. The Bills.

When was the last time these teams actually threatened to make a play-off appearance?

So, without further ado, Chadman presents the NFL's GRAND CIRCLE OF CRAP. The teams that, no mtter what they do, will have a nenormous amount of crapness involved. Welcome Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland, St Louis & Kansas City. Let the Circle give a beckoning wave to Cincinnatti, San Francisco, Miami, Tampa Bay & Jacksonville- we know you guys are not far away from joining.

With the gap between the good & bad teams strengthening over the last 5 years or so, can anyone predict which team will be able to break free from The Grand Circle of Crap? Or which team should join in the very near future?

grotonsteel
11-09-2009, 08:58 PM
The Bills. If they can draft 2-3 good players in the upcoming draft or sign few good FA they could turn it around.

Good Pass D. I like their DBs . Jarius Byrd is a great find for them. Need to add some beef on the D-line.

RB: Lynch and Jackson are a good pair of RBs.

Special Teams: I think Bills have one of the best Special team coach in the league.

O-Line: 2 rookies starting at Guard position + new LT. It will take time for O-line to play together as a team.

QB: Upgrade.Need to move away from Captain Checkdown. Draft Jimmy Clausen.

WR: Lee Evans is the only legit WR they have. Roscoe Parrish and TO not sure will be with Bills next year. Is James Hardy playing??

If they can get Gerald McCoy or Jimmy Clausen i think Bills could win that AFC East in couple of years.

Northern_Blitz
11-10-2009, 12:58 AM
I'm going to go with KC.

Seems to me like they're in alot of games, and end up loosing by a FG. Seemed like every game down the stretch last year they gave away in the 4th.

I think they've stock piled some draft picks in the next couple years (a la Pats*). I think some good young players, and some time for their QB to get familiar with their system will help them. Also, they don't have one of those perenially good teams in their division to contend with.

JTP53609
11-10-2009, 09:17 AM
i think the lions, bills and chiefs willl all be fine....i really think the lions will get better, they have a decent offense that is young, they need a running back but the defense needs work, nothing a a few first rd picks cant fix

Iron Shiek
11-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Yeah, Northern_Blitz took mine. KC is headed in the right direction, with the exception of their defensive scheme. A frequent Chiefs fan caller on NFL Radio on Sirius yesterday was seriously questioning the shift to a 3-4, and how they've got a lot of money tied up in guys like Dorsey who they drafted recently that can't play the 3-4. So they've got some manipulating of the roster to do still, and need another big play WR to pair with Bowe, but they might be on the right track.

Rams are terribly far off. They have so many holes its not funny. Poor Steven Jackson.

I think Lions are turning it around too. While their record still sucks...I think they have some positive signs. That Schwarz is a good coach...I mean look at how the Titans fell apart since his departure. They got their QB and Coach...that's how you start. I think Stafford will be a good NFL QB.

That leaves me with the Bills and BRowns. Two words... Hope less :) The Bills seemed to think they could just ignore the OL and they have major holes to fill in that unit. They've got some young guys on it, they just aren't good. Browns have bigger issues than personnel in my mind. That franchise in general is a mess. Oh put the Raiders in this category too. Terrible.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 11:48 AM
i think the lions, bills and chiefs willl all be fine....i really think the lions will get better, they have a decent offense that is young, they need a running back but the defense needs work, nothing a a few first rd picks cant fix

You don't like Kevin Smith? I think he is a solid young RB. Add in Stafford at QB, Calvin Johnson at WR, and Brandon Pettirgrew at TE, and you have a nice young nucleus of skill players on offense. On defense, I like the Louis Delmas pickup at the top of the second round this year, and they have a good LB corps with Ernie Sims, Larry Foote, and Julian Peterson. They just need to improve in the trenches on both sides of the line, and they can be formidable (they drafted Gosder Cherilus a couple of drafts ago, and he should be a solid RT, but they'll need some more big uglies in the next draft or two before they will rise from the grand circle of crap (but they are much closer than teams like St. Louis or Cleveland).

JTP53609
11-10-2009, 01:23 PM

You don't like Kevin Smith? I think he is a solid young RB. Add in Stafford at QB, Calvin Johnson at WR, and Brandon Pettirgrew at TE, and you have a nice young nucleus of skill players on offense. On defense, I like the Louis Delmas pickup at the top of the second round this year, and they have a good LB corps with Ernie Sims, Larry Foote, and Julian Peterson. They just need to improve in the trenches on both sides of the line, and they can be formidable (they drafted Gosder Cherilus a couple of drafts ago, and he should be a solid RT, but they'll need some more big uglies in the next draft or two before they will rise from the grand circle of crap (but they are much closer than teams like St. Louis or Cleveland).

he is not bad but ehhhh....they could do better, but yea they need to sure up the secondary and both offensive and defensive lines

Lonbull
11-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Soon to leave COC - St. Louis Rams
Soon to join - Tampa Bay Bucs

St. Louis Rams - I like the Rams to return to winning seasons and the playoff hunt mostly because of how awful their division is - and the fact that I really like the Head Coach they've hired in Steve Spagnuolo.

The Rams need to develop a QB and they should be in a position to draft a very solid QB in this year's draft. The biggest stumbling block for the Rams is the question marks around Ownership. As long as they get solid ownership and keep Spagnuolo they should be able to return to challenging for the NFC West Champion.

Compared them to their rivals -

49ers - Solid up and comers but they need a QB and the Rams will certainly be in a better draft position at the end of the season.

Seahawks - Are in a big transition. New Coach - and Hasselbeck looks like he's breaking down on a regular basis - they look like they're on the way down to me.

Cardinals - The big question is how long can they keep Leinart and Warner on the same team, and if they're going to go with Warner how much longer does he really have as a top flight QB? If Coach Whizenhunt can bring a Steelers kind of system to the Cardinals than they will rule that division forever - but I wonder how long it will be before the "real" Cardinals re-emerge.

I think the Chiefs are closer to having a better team than the Rams - but I think the Rams are closer to having a winning season and playoff berth - due mostly to their division(s).

Soon to join - Tampa Bay Bucs.

Similar reasoning to the Rams - only in reverse.

First the coach for Tampa Bay looks like he's not prepared for the job - and I'm hearing a lot of analyst say the same thing. However I'm not giving up on Raheem Morris just yet - but you have to wonder how long he's going to last - not only that but Gruden did a fine job of coming into Tampa Bay while the cubbard was full and leaving when the cubbard was bare empty - it's Gruden who is really to blame for this mess.

The division is brutal - Panthers, Falcons and Saints - these three teams have all the tools to compete for the playoffs --- and while the Panthers may not be as strong as they have been in the past - their rushing attack is still very effective.

The Falcons are clearly on the rise, and the Saints are in their Prime.

Even if Josh Freeman is a solid QB prospect it looks like a three or four year process before the Bucs can challenge again - unless they make some solid moves in Free Agency - and the Falcons and Saints start slipping?

But I think that's a lot to hope for if you're the Bucs.

L.B.

SteelAbility
11-10-2009, 07:00 PM
Aren't the Bengals making some steps in the right direction?

The Rams have almost become like a AAA farm team. I think it takes them the longest to get out. But, hey, the Lions are kind of like that, but suddenly showing more competitiveness this year so you never know.

Browns are headed in the farm team direction. They are like a bird being hatched that can never quite get enough protection for long enough to get strong enough so that the rival birds can't reset them with a "peck down."

KC has real hope. Didn't they recently have a whole lot of draft picks? BTW, the last time they threatened for the playoffs was 05. They had a game in Dallas that year where their kicker missed a 40-something yarder as time expired to not win and go to OT. Dallas won in OT. Guess who we JUST edged out on tie-break to get into the playoffs? How ironic. The hated Cowboys played a crucial role in "One for the Thumb." :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Aren't the Bengals making some steps in the right direction?

They are headed in the right direction for 5 more days. Then, on Sunday, they get b!tch-slapped back into the David Shula/Bruce Coslet era. :twisted:

:bungalssuck

Chachi
11-10-2009, 08:05 PM
It seems every year most watchers of the NFL can name 5-6 'Power Teams', teams that we just know are going to be thereabouts come play-offs time. Teams like our beloved Steelers, the Pats, Colts, Philly...they always seem to be thereabouts. It comes as an enormous shock when these teams don't, in fact, make the play-offs. Fans start topping themselves, players have emotional breakdowns, Coaches quit to take up pottery & John Madden eats 15 chickens in 2 minutes just to deal with the ramifications of the 'Power Teams' not performing as expected.

But what about the other end of the scale? What about those teams everyone knows will suck. The Lions. The Raiders. The Rams. The Browns. The Chiefs. The Bills.

When was the last time these teams actually threatened to make a play-off appearance?

So, without further ado, Chadman presents the NFL's GRAND CIRCLE OF CRAP. The teams that, no mtter what they do, will have a nenormous amount of crapness involved. Welcome Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo, Oakland, St Louis & Kansas City. Let the Circle give a beckoning wave to Cincinnatti, San Francisco, Miami, Tampa Bay & Jacksonville- we know you guys are not far away from joining.

With the gap between the good & bad teams strengthening over the last 5 years or so, can anyone predict which team will be able to break free from The Grand Circle of Crap? Or which team should join in the very near future?

The Raiders and Rams should be excluded somewhat as both have at least made it to a Super Bowl this decade.

But, anyway, what is the one link between all of them in the Circle of Crap? It's the same thing that links the "power houses" of Indy, Pasterisks, Steelers, Philly together.

Here is a clue.....starts with a "Q" and ends in a "B".

RuthlessBurgher
11-11-2009, 09:49 AM

The Raiders and Rams should be excluded somewhat as both have at least made it to a Super Bowl this decade.

But, anyway, what is the one link between all of them in the Circle of Crap? It's the same thing that links the "power houses" of Indy, Pasterisks, Steelers, Philly together.

Here is a clue.....starts with a "Q" and ends in a "B".

Quarterbacb? :wink: