PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs cut Larry Johnson

takagi
11-09-2009, 12:04 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/09/chiefs- ... y-johnson/ (http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/11/09/chiefs-cut-larry-johnson/)

The Kansas City Chiefs released RB Larry Johnson on Monday, the same day he was eligible to return to the team following a one-week suspension.

The Chiefs still owe Johnson, whose contract runs through the 2012 season, $2.275 million — the remaining portion of his $4.55 million salary this season. He missed a paycheck on Sunday after being suspended for making gay slurs.

Johnson first posted the slur on his Twitter account after also questioning coach Todd Haley’s credentials. He then repeated the slur the next day to reporters.

In 75 games (55 starts) with Kansas City, Johnson rushed 1,375 times for 5,996 yards with 55 touchdowns. He also registered 151 receptions for 1,369 yards with six touchdowns. He concluded his Chiefs career with 30 100-yard rushing games and also added two 100-yard receiving games.

Johnson established an NFL single-season record with 416 rushing attempts in 2006 when he set a franchise single-season mark with 1,789 rushing yards. He originally entered the league as the Chiefs first-round selection (27th overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft out of Penn State.

MeetJoeGreene
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
That is kind of shocking.

look for him to either:

-- sign with the Patriots for a vet min and become a star OR

-- sign with the Skins for a huge sum and become a bust.

calmkiller
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Sign Larry Johnson threads in 3.........2........

Jom112
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM

look for him to either:

I'm thinking maybe Green Bay. After losing to the Bucs, their fans might be a little more acceptable to taking on this turd.

Thank God we have 3 RB's that our coaches love or I could see Mike Brown making a play for him...

Oviedo
11-09-2009, 12:17 PM

look for him to either:

I'm thinking maybe Green Bay. After losing to the Bucs, their fans might be a little more acceptable to taking on this turd.

Thank God we have 3 RB's that our coaches love or I could see Mike Brown making a play for him...

What about Cinci? I think he has a police record :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
11-09-2009, 01:02 PM

Why would we want to sign that faggo...err...oh, never mind. :wink:

phillyesq
11-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Why would we want to sign that faggo...err...oh, never mind. :wink:

:Clap :Clap

Well played sir.

It will be interesting to see if Johnson can find another job. Johnson's skills are in serious decline, and he is a malcontent. I realize that the KC team is in rough shape, but from what I've seen from Johnson this year, he doesn't have any burst or power left, leaving him as just an old, slow back.

I can obviously see the *s giving him a shot -- his recent history as a malcontent seems to work for them. Other than that, I can't see many teams being interested, especially since he is still likely to ask for a huge contract.

pfelix73
11-09-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm in the minority... I'd sign him and bring him here. Why allow an opponent to do that? esp. the Pats.

:tt1

phillyesq
11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm in the minority... I'd sign him and bring him here. Why allow an opponent to do that? esp. the Pats.

Which one would you rather have?

60 carries, 187 yards, 3.1 ypc, 29 yrs old in November

132 carries, 358 yards, 2.7 ypc, 30 yrs old in November

grotonsteel
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

Which one would you rather have?

60 carries, 187 yards, 3.1 ypc, 29 yrs old in November

132 carries, 358 yards, 2.7 ypc, 30 yrs old in November

Well said.

I think Donkeys might sign him.

SteelAbility
11-09-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm with you. I think his biggest problem is really poor OL blocking. I think the Chiefs figure there's no point paying a guy big bucks when their OL can't block well enough to get the full value out of him.

But the guy is still a beast and could very well be worth a bargain basement price. If nothing else it gives a cushion at RB in the event that Mendy busts, I mean breaks, a shoulder. ;)

True Fan
11-09-2009, 04:57 PM
sign him. he can at least catch out of the backfield, unlike willie

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-09-2009, 05:06 PM
He doesn't clear waivers in my opinion. Here's the shopping list in order...You decide.

Detroit Lions
St. Louis Rams
Seattle Seahawks
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Jacksonville Jaguars
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins

Steeler Mafia
11-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Is there any way we can pick him up but leave his attitude and big mouth in KC?

SteelAbility
11-09-2009, 05:58 PM
He doesn't clear waivers in my opinion. Here's the shopping list in order...You decide.

Detroit Lions
St. Louis Rams
Seattle Seahawks
Cleveland Browns
Cincinnati Bengals
Jacksonville Jaguars
Green Bay Packers
San Francisco 49ers
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins

You know, the Skins did lose Portis (for at least one game) due to concussion.

frankthetank1
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
sign larry johnson, really? the guy hasnt done anything in a few seasons. he has to be around 30 and i would think he has more wear and tear on his body than fwp. johnson is definetly not steeler material. the guy is a mental midgit and very stupid. not to mention selfish.

phillyesq
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
You know, the Skins did lose Portis (for at least one game) due to concussion.

I just saw on PFT that the Redskins are having internal discussions about LJ. I would almost enjoy watching the drama that will ensue from adding LJ to the general state of disarray in Washington, and combining that with Portis eventually returning to health.

pfelix73
11-09-2009, 08:19 PM
I think the guy still has some play-making abilities left in him. If he goes to NE, he will play well with a chip on his shoulder. Washington, don't know about them, but if he came here, I think he'd be a steal and would play damn well for us.

The fag-got stuff and the off the field stuff doesn't bother me, nor should it bother anyone else. So minor- geez.

He came out of the same draft class as Troy. How old is he? Can't be 30.

Remember when we got Jerome? No body wanted him and the Rams thought he was washed up........Not to say that LJ would be another JB, but if you can get him on the cheap, why not? Doesn't matter, because someone else will grab him first.... so it's all a mute point.

JAR
11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Adam Schefter reports that LJ wants to be a Steeler.

pfelix73
11-09-2009, 08:28 PM
There ya go- per Adam Schefter..... Steelers may look at him.... Would make a lot of sense.....

Discipline of Steel
11-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Adam Schefter reports that LJ wants to be a Steeler.

The key word is 'wants'. He would come into the team as a hungry man.

calmkiller
11-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Where would he play? Who would you cut? Carey Davis is dressed tonight for ST. You aren't going to cut WP or Moore....so how would he make this team?

Discipline of Steel
11-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Where would he play? Who would you cut? Carey Davis is dressed tonight for ST. You aren't going to cut WP or Moore....so how would he make this team?

I think he would be great as a fullback and covering kicks. I bet he would accept that role with relish if he got his wish to come here.

Will he make it through waivers? I would say not except that anything can happen if he wants to be in Pittsburgh badly enough.

stlrz d
11-09-2009, 08:44 PM
There ya go- per Adam Schefter..... Steelers may look at him.... Would make a lot of sense.....

You heard wrong. He said if LJ clears waivers he wants to play for the Steelers...not that the Steelers would look at him.

phillyesq
11-09-2009, 09:30 PM

I think he would be great as a fullback and covering kicks. I bet he would accept that role with relish if he got his wish to come here.

Will he make it through waivers? I would say not except that anything can happen if he wants to be in Pittsburgh badly enough.

I can't see his ego allowing him to cover kicks. I'm also not sure that he has ever done it.

I also don't think he has ever played FB before. We saw from the Frank the Tank experiment that there can be quite an adjustment from HB to FB.

If the Steelers decided to look at LJ, I'm not sure who would go. Mendy, Moore, and WP are safe. He plays a different position than Davis. I don't think Logan gets cut. I just don't see this happening.

The numbers that I posted earlier were WP and LJ. WP is younger and has better numbers.

pfelix73
11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
I thought I heard the other way around. Not that he 'wanted' to play for them, but the Steelers would be interested in signing him....

Doesn't matter. With each passing week that Mendenhall plays, the RB situation isn't as dire as I thought it could get. Especially with WP in his final year.