PDA

View Full Version : Need some Help

BATMAN
11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
My five year old tossed something at our 52 inch flat screen TV and broke the panel. The color ran away, sound is gone and the only thing on the screen is the area she tossed something at and it lights up like a white cobweb.

I called Phillips and it is still under warranty but, not for a busted panel.

I purchased it especially for last years Super Bowl and now look. I guess this might be a good omen in a way. Each time I bought a new TV, we went to the Super Bowl.

What I am asking, does anyone know if there is something I can do about this screen and that I can watch my beloved Steelers ?

We are just guessing our five year old threw something at the screen because, the TV was on, we got up to go to the kitchen and when we came back, the screen was in the condition I described.

Can't ask my daughter because she is Downs and not capable to communicate.

I have $1,000.00 deductible on my insurance and the TV cost a little over $2,000.00

This isn't the first time she has damaged stuff or like the last time, unplugging the freezer. Ouch, we just saved up for all our winter supply due to my unemployment and zowwy, all out to the trash.

One service man said he can probably fix it for $1,000.00 at the minimum but heck, I might as well use the insurance money and get another.
Boy, it was a nice TV too and had a nice picture.

Just in hopes that one of you had some advice.

stlrz d
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
I have some advice...protect your next TV just like these guys are protected.

[youtube:10krso9z]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OO38rf1m0FU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OO38rf1m0FU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:10krso9z]

http://lemurking.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/chickenwire.jpg

fezziwig
11-09-2009, 06:14 PM
And I thought Batman was going to get some bad advice. lol.

I'm kind of guessing this particular Batman doesn't have Bruce Wayne type money.

Djfan
11-10-2009, 12:41 AM
Beat the kid.

phillyesq
11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
That is really rough -- tough break.

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice, but I can at least offer sympathy. That is a major bummer.

Mel Blount's G
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Your idea of taking the insurancee money and getting a new one sounds best to me

However, keep the old one and keep your ears open of some small-time electronics repair guy or maybe a tech-school student or a gadget type guy, etc, etc.. that might be able to d!ck around with it and actually fix it for a small fee or even as a favor or what have you. There are still a few Father-son type repair shops around that don't charge a house payment to fix an electronic gadget. Or give iit to a friend that WILL pay the $$ to get it fixed?

birtikidis
11-10-2009, 02:10 PM
i bought a plasma a while back that had a busted screen. i knew the screen was busted. so why did i buy it? because I went on Ebay found a tv that was broken in a a different way (power problems) and switched the screens out. find out if that's a possibility for you. it worked for me, but doesn't work for everyone.

BATMAN
11-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Thanks for all the good advice and that excludes Djfan and stlrz d, lol.

Djfan
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM

I repent.

BATMAN
11-10-2009, 09:50 PM

I repent.

Oh, I took your advice, the TV is still broken lol.

fezziwig
11-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Sometimes you just have to go with your losses. I was never in favor of saving a couple to few hundred dollars with repairs when it comes down to electronics. I never had luck with my repairs.

fordfixer
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Check out a Vizio I got one last spring and love it and its alot less money than the others

SteelAbility
11-11-2009, 04:29 PM
And I thought Batman was going to get some bad advice. lol.

I'm kind of guessing this particular Batman doesn't have Bruce Wayne type money.

If he does, he should be ashamed of himself. :wink: