PDA

View Full Version : Got Hacked!

Jooser
11-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Wow! You think it won't happen to you and then...Bam! Our checking account got hacked into two weeks ago. I'm not sure, but it may have originated on Facebook. Our Facebook accounts were hacked into about a week before this. Anyways, the jerkoffs ordered $700 worth of stuff from Cricket.com - which included 3 new cell phones and all the accessories. They also pre-paid for the first 60 days of service on Crickets most expensive pre-paid plan. The phones were activated with Syracuse, NY telephone numbers. But, they weren't finished with our debit card info yet. They then ordered stuff from Avon Online.com, Hot Topic.com ($300 worth of shoes), Musicians Friend.com, and some cheap online jewelry store. It really sucks, they took over $1,600 total from my family to go on their shopping spree. We have the police involved and the bank is investigating too. So far, we've reveived no credit yet from the bank though. Be careful guys, the police said this stuff is happening all the time. If you go out to eat, all that a dishonest person needs to do is write down your card info and they have you.

Just a heads up....out, Joose.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 04:31 PM
If someone is going to steal your identity, at least you'd expect them to have some decent taste. Hot Topic? Avon? Pre-paid cell phones? Cheap online jewelry? Seriously?

Sucks, though, man. I'm sure you'll recoup your money, but it is a pain in the @$$ to have to go through all the rigamarole to get it back, I'm sure.

MeetJoeGreene
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Tip: Have a password scheme that has some common root and yet some differences based on each web site...(commonly known as a hash).

That way ... if someone steals one user/pw -- they can't automatically get into all of your accounts.

stlrz d
11-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear man. Hope it's rectified quickly.

Jooser
11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the concern fellas. Looks like we're set to get a credit from the bank on Monday. We'll get the amount that was stolen to purchase the illegal goods for now, and then they'll refund the $300 dollars in over-draft fees this fiasco created at the conclusion of the investigation-which may take another month. This has really been an eye opener for us. It looks like we'll start sending out the old paper checks to pay bills like the good ol' days.

Oh yeah, the police said they're only lead is some computer know-it-all, dirty old man who worships the Steelers and lives in the Green Bay area.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :moon

stlrz d
11-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the concern fellas. Looks like we're set to get a credit from the bank on Monday. We'll get the amount that was stolen to purchase the illegal goods for now, and then they'll refund the $300 dollars in over-draft fees this fiasco created at the conclusion of the investigation-which may take another month. This has really been an eye opener for us. It looks like we'll start sending out the old paper checks to pay bills like the good ol' days.

Oh yeah, the police said they're only lead is some computer know-it-all, dirty old man who worships the Steelers and lives in the Green Bay area.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :moon

If only you were as good a mark as you were easy. ;)

Jom112
11-17-2009, 03:29 PM
My wife's Discover card was recently stolen out of her purse. The idiots though left the $80 bucks in cash she had in there. Then they tired to make a $10 online purchase at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Which got flagged because we haven't used our Discover card in several months. So they got nothing.

Also the address they were trying to deliver to was somewhere in Green Bay I think... :lol:

Djfan
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Joos,

I've had it twice. Once was nothing. They used my credit (That was good all those years ago) to get a home phone. They paid the bill until they moved out and the phone company came after me for $60.00. It was easily cleaned up.

The first time my atm card was used in So Cal while I was hunting in MI. The police are sure it was my roommate, but the banks only kept the videos of the ATM transactions for three days, so no evidence. I got all $2600 back on that one, but it took about one year.

It sucks. I am worth nothing but can be a victim of ID theft? Everyone needs to be careful.

fordfixer
11-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Joos,

I've had it twice. Once was nothing. They used my credit (That was good all those years ago) to get a home phone. They paid the bill until they moved out and the phone company came after me for $60.00. It was easily cleaned up.

The first time my atm card was used in So Cal while I was hunting in MI. The police are sure it was my roommate, but the banks only kept the videos of the ATM transactions for three days, so no evidence. I got all $2600 back on that one, but it took about one year.

It sucks. I am worth nothing but can be a victim of ID theft? Everyone needs to be careful.
Isn't Mi close to Green Bay :lol:

Djfan
11-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Joos,

Isn't Mi close to Green Bay :lol:

There is a disturbing trend here.

Jooser
11-22-2009, 08:04 AM
UPDATE: We got the initial $1600 back from the bank. They won't cover the overdraft fees until the investigation concludes. The bad news is that since it was across state lines, the police are turning it over to the FBI. I sense this will take a while. Another bad thing is that the place they got the cell phones from, Cricket, won't disconnect the phones. I called them, everything was in my name, except with a bogus birth date. Since that didn't match, they said they couldn't prove my identity so I had to go to the nearest Cricket store and produce photo ID and have them disconnected there. The nearest Cricket store is 7 hours away in Baltimore! :HeadBanger Can you say douchebags!?! Now they're sending me bills for the service! This is getting to be such a pain in the Ruthless!

bostonsteeler
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
UPDATE: We got the initial $1600 back from the bank. They won't cover the overdraft fees until the investigation concludes. The bad news is that since it was across state lines, the police are turning it over to the FBI. I sense this will take a while. Another bad thing is that the place they got the cell phones from, Cricket, won't disconnect the phones. I called them, everything was in my name, except with a bogus birth date. Since that didn't match, they said they couldn't prove my identity so I had to go to the nearest Cricket store and produce photo ID and have them disconnected there. The nearest Cricket store is 7 hours away in Baltimore! :HeadBanger Can you say douchebags!?! Now they're sending me bills for the service! This is getting to be such a pain in the Ruthless!

How did it all resolve itself.

Jooser
01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Well, the local police department turned it over to the FBI. I've not heard anything from them. My bank eventually refunded the overdraft fees ($300). The Cricket store has been the most annoying thing. They wouldn't cooperate with us, our bank, or the PD. I had to file a report with the FTC to keep all this off of our credit reports. And that's about it....

Shawn
01-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Tip: Have a password scheme that has some common root and yet some differences based on each web site...(commonly known as a hash).

That way ... if someone steals one user/pw -- they can't automatically get into all of your accounts.

$$$

And I thought checking account money was guaranteed. Won't the bank replace it?