PDA

View Full Version : Have to still love Porter...

NorCal-Steeler
11-06-2009, 01:39 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813f9529&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

"The hate has been there for awhile, especially after the cheating they did back in the day," Porter said, referring to the Patriots' 2007 videotaping scandal that cost them their 2008 first-round draft pick.

Porter then continued, "They can sweep it under the rug if they want to, but just like anybody else that do something (wrong), that's caught by cheating, you put an asterisk by it."

Mel Blount's G
11-06-2009, 01:57 AM
I love it only 'cause it's da troof!!

Captain Lemming
11-06-2009, 03:28 AM
I am glad his whining jaw no longer represent the Steelers.
Yeah, Joey and Ray Ray whining like little babies

I'll take the quiet intimidation of Harrison over Joey the Jaw any day.

spyboots
11-06-2009, 03:47 AM
He speaks out loud about the cheating that so many others want to just quietly dismiss.

flippy
11-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Did Jeremy Stevens vote for you 289 times? haha

Peezy for president.

Gotta love him calling out Tom Brady and the Pats and taking the pressure off his teammates.

Flasteel
11-06-2009, 08:20 AM

:Agree

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
11-06-2009, 08:30 AM
I miss the guy!!! Too bad he fell off so soon.

ghettoscott
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
I miss the guy!!!
:Agree

MeetJoeGreene
11-06-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't love Porter ... but I do love that quote.

BDESteel
11-06-2009, 12:19 PM
Man, I love Peezy! I wish we did have him or someone like him wolfin on defense. I feel our guys have no character. They get the job done, true dat, but have no character.

I miss the swag.

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 12:34 PM
I love it only 'cause it's da troof!!

That's the PLAIN troof!

http://media.photobucket.com/image/weir ... y.png?o=68 (http://media.photobucket.com/image/weird%20science/nikkipikey/wsciencethursday.png?o=68)

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Man, I love Peezy! I wish we did have him or someone like him wolfin on defense. I feel our guys have no character. They get the job done, true dat, but have no character.

I miss the swag.

"Having character" and "being a character" is not the same thing.

On our defense, James Farrior has character. Troy Polamalu has character. Aaron Smith has character.

Joey Porter is a character. There is a difference.

ghettoscott
11-06-2009, 05:24 PM

I miss the swag.

On our defense, James Farrior has character. Troy Polamalu has character. Aaron Smith has character.

so what did Mean Joe and Lambert have?

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 05:28 PM

I miss the swag.

They had the intimidation factor (like Lloyd and Harrison).

Guys that had character back then were guys like Jack Ham and Rocky Bleier. Guys that were characters back then were guys like Mad Dog Holmes and Frenchy Fuqua.

NKySteeler
11-06-2009, 05:39 PM
"Have to still love Porter..." .... Some do, but I do not.... Personally, I loved the energy and tenacity he brought to the field on Sundays for us, but I always hated his mouth.... Call me "old school" or call me "wrong", I really don't care... But I never thought it was a good representation of Steelers football when he ran his yap.

NorCal-Steeler
11-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Porter running his mouth before the superbowl with Stevens was probly the difference in the game. I can remember 4-5 key drops one was a sure TD. He is the only "Steeler" willing to speak out against the *pats cheating ways. He may not have always played up to his mouth but he was a team player.

BATMAN
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
"Have to still love Porter..." .... Some do, but I do not.... Personally, I loved the energy and tenacity he brought to the field on Sundays for us, but I always hated his mouth.... Call me "old school" or call me "wrong", I really don't care... But I never thought it was a good representation of Steelers football when he ran his yap.

I have always had rsspect for Joeys effort on the field but I agree, I never cared for people that talked all the pregame stuff. Actions are louder than words.

I do however think Joey was correct in what he said and it wasn't over the top.

stlrz d
11-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Peezy made me laugh many times, brought me out of my chair many times and pissed me off many times.

Love the guy and always will...he never quit. He doesn't have it in him.

Flasteel
11-06-2009, 09:48 PM

I have always had rsspect for Joeys effort on the field but I agree, I never cared for people that talked all the pregame stuff. Actions are louder than words.

I do however think Joey was correct in what he said and it wasn't over the top.

I agreed with Lemming earlier, but for the record, my opinion is more closely aligned with you guys. I just couldn't stand all of his jabber-jawing.

BDESteel
11-07-2009, 02:01 AM

I miss the swag.

Not true! Troy is the only person anyone knows (except Steelers fans) on our defense. No one would know him if it weren't for all that darn hair.

They are all excellent players but without a mouthpiece like Peezy, our defense just blends into the background.

I've been a trash talker most of my life, so maybe I just relate to him. BTW, I liked Flowers too.

fezziwig
11-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I'd rather see their actions on the field compard to some of these guys big talk. Joey could over do it at times but I must say, " this time he said it as a matter of fact and he told the truth that no one wanted to man up to. "

TallyStiller
11-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Porter running his mouth before the superbowl with Stevens was probly the difference in the game. I can remember 4-5 key drops one was a sure TD. He is the only "Steeler" willing to speak out against the *pats cheating ways. He may not have always played up to his mouth but he was a team player.

The money portion of the quote right here. I was OK with Joey when he played up to all the talk, but when a guy fails to back it up, it makes it that much HARDER on tthe rest of the guys who are playing against a fired up opponent AND having to cover for tthe mouth that roared. I cannot tell you how sick I got of watching Joey go out and run his mouth, then get destroyed by the Ratbirds on the field.

The current group is very workmanlike... just gettin' it done without all the drama. ESPN hates'em 'cause drama drives ratings, but tthat just allows us to live under the radar and deflects pressure elsewhere, which to me helps us win games. And in the end, victories and rings are far more entertaining than Joey getting into pre game fights and taking personal fouls and such.

TallyStiller
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM

I miss the swag.

Not true! Troy is the only person anyone knows (except Steelers fans) on our defense. No one would know him if it weren't for all that darn hair.

They are all excellent players but without a mouthpiece like Peezy, our defense just blends into the background.
I've been a trash talker most of my life, so maybe I just relate to him. BTW, I liked Flowers too.

You mean like the "No Name Defense", the one that went 17 - 0 and won the Super Bowl? I'll take victories and rings over being talked about by the idiot talking heads on ESPN. I can't tell you how much fun it is to be able to shut the pie holes of Cowboys, Cheats, whoever fans just by saying "Six. Count'em. How many you got?"

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2009, 11:24 AM

I miss the swag.

I still don't think that you are understanding my point. Whether or not you are popular and famous and in the public eye and have noticeable hair has nothing whatsoever to do with whether you have character.

For instance, Ochocinco is the epitome of the mouth that roared. He is a character, 100%, no doubt about it. But does he have character? Not exactly. I think he has ripped his team apart on several occasions due to his me-first antics.

On the other hand, a guy like Pat Tillman, who did not showboat and was never in the public eye as a player was never a character in the Ochocinco sense, but he displayed true character, based on his decision to give up a multi-million dollar contract to risk his life serving his country.

To simplify things, I will will let Harvey "Winston Wolf" Keitel spell it out: ""Just Because You ARE a Character, Doesn't Mean You HAVE Character."

[youtube:2br248lc]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tVOulWdVt0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tVOulWdVt0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2br248lc]

frankthetank1
11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
i wouldnt say i miss porter but i still like the guy a lot. he is still a very good pass rusher but i will take harrison and woodley any day over porter now. i definetly think he got into stevens head and had an impact in the game. i usually dont think trash talk impacts games though. sometimes he would really piss me off but most times he made me laugh. i didnt like his comments after the colts game in 05. consipiricy against the steelers? thats so stupid. it was just poor officiating which is common in the nfl. i dont think his comments about the pats are all that off base though. i hope peezy kills marsha tomorrow

Shoe
11-07-2009, 04:15 PM

No one's saying they would...
gosh, the amount of Peezy hate really stinks. Granted, he jawed a lot. But his yapping was always directed... it was never the "look at me, look at me" that guys like ochocinco and the like. He conveyed the team's attitude, and you can attribute as much or little of the SB6 season to him (the Colt game was all about attitude, and he stepped out and called them soft in the week preceding), but you can't take away that this guy was all-heart on the football field, and brought the freakish intensity to the team that I think elevates good defenses to something more.

And--he was a very good player. He blitzed well; he ran/covered well; and he was at least solid as a run defender. Give the guy respect.

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2009, 01:54 AM

gosh, the amount of Peezy hate really stinks. Granted, he jawed a lot. But his yapping was always directed... it was never the "look at me, look at me" that guys like ochocinco and the like. He conveyed the team's attitude, and you can attribute as much or little of the SB6 season to him (the Colt game was all about attitude, and he stepped out and called them soft in the week preceding), but you can't take away that this guy was all-heart on the football field, and brought the freakish intensity to the team that I think elevates good defenses to something more.

And--he was a very good player. He blitzed well; he ran/covered well; and he was at least solid as a run defender. Give the guy respect.

:Agree Buying the team Bettis jerseys for the trip to Detroit was brilliant. He led the "Who Ride? We Ride!" chant in the locker room (which I'll admit I never fully understood, but it really seemed to fire up the fellas nonetheless). And who can forget the immortal "They shot me in Denver!" line, particularly during a week like this?

[youtube:28jxxv91]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gpOG9K02F_g&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gpOG9K02F_g&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:28jxxv91]

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 03:04 AM

I miss the swag.

No excuses, no whining, just WINNING.

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 03:08 AM

Take out Peezy insert Ray Ray same basic story.
Ray a class act?

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 03:35 AM

I miss the swag.

Is that real swagger?
In the 70s the Raiders yapped a lot, acted tough, and we owned them for the most part. Whining about how the refs favored the Steelers.
Recently the Ravens are exactly the same.

That is what Joey sounds like to me.

My wife has a tiny toy poodle. Big yapper.
In football or dogs big yappers try to convince you and themselves that they are bad.
That aint swagger.

NJ-STEELER
11-08-2009, 05:07 AM

he sealed the win at INDY that year with his 2 sacks... but bettis' fumble nulified that

flippy
11-08-2009, 07:41 AM
Who ride?

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Who ride?

The Dolphins ride?

(And since they are playing in Foxboro today and we aren't playing until tomorrow, I have no problem with that).

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 10:52 AM
[quote="NorCal-Steeler":1vpsttrt]Porter running his mouth before the superbowl with Stevens was probly the difference in the game. I can remember 4-5 key drops one was a sure TD. He is the only "Steeler" willing to speak out against the *pats cheating ways. He may not have always played up to his mouth but he was a team player.

he sealed the win at INDY that year with his 2 sacks... but bettis' fumble nulified that[/quote:1vpsttrt]

Porter had a great playoff run that year, and deserves props no doubt. For only time in his career he was a factor in the post season and he was a big factor.

Shoe
11-08-2009, 02:30 PM

I miss the swag.

Peezy didn't have character? :wft

The guy never backed down, never dogged it in preparation (i.e. was always prepared to play), never hung his team out to dry in comments/media, and actually had game. Where do you get that he didn't have the character those guys (you list above) have? Just because he yapped too much?

feltdizz
11-08-2009, 06:59 PM
I love how some fans have an expert barameter on who was a character player and who was not. Funny how Harrison smacking his baby's mother doesn't factor into character but talking trash to an opponent is just too much for them to handle.

I wonder if these fans boo'd when peezy was sacking manning and sealing the win before another character guy fumbled. I have met a few guys who said big Ben was a caveman in civilian settings...

Whatever... I just want guys to play the game hard in between the lines... Most
of the guys who yap about how much peezy yapped never touched a football. Lol... Some players talk, some don't but the stats do not lie. peezy was great but I'm glad we didn't over pay for him. But if I needEd 4 linebackers peezy would definitely be on the short
list if we are taking players in their prime.

feltdizz
11-08-2009, 07:02 PM
I love how some fans have an expert barameter on who was a character player and who was not. Funny how Harrison smacking his baby's mother doesn't factor into character but talking trash to an opponent is just too much for them to handle.

I wonder if these fans boo'd when peezy was sacking manning and sealing the win before another character guy fumbled. I have met a few guys who said big Ben was a caveman in civilian settings...

of the guys who yap about how much peezy yapped never touched a football. Lol... Some players talk, some don't but the stats do not lie. peezy was great but I'm glad we didn't over pay for him. But if I needEd 4 linebackers peezy would definitely be on the short

NKySteeler
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM

... Actually, it's "barOmeter".... http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2585/thumbsupj.gif

.... And I "boo'd" the sh*t out of him when he got tossed before the game against Cleveland for running his yap and being an idiot... I "touched" a football, did you?.... If so, did you exercise good sportsmanship and even further, let your actions on the field speak for you? Or was smack talk more important?.... Just wondering....

NorCal-Steeler
11-08-2009, 07:27 PM
wasnt aware Porter calling out Brady and the *Pats was poor sportsmanship. The Cleveland game if i recall he got into it with 2 guys at the 50 yrd line before the game and it turned into a fist fight but hell give them the benifit of the doubt im sure Joey started that too. Along with Porter calling Ray Lewis out after he did the shot in the a55 dance. I dont see any of this as poor sportsmanship i see it as a man standing for what he believes in.

grotonsteel
11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Joey was correct in what he said against Marsha and Cheatroits organization but he needs to back it up when he plays on the field.

Miami Defense was horrible and Peezy was MIA.

BATMAN
11-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Joey had a good run during the playoffs for us but before that,, I thought he was more mouth than action. I agree that Joey at times could be MIA and it only takes a runningback to keep him in check at times.

The remarks he made about the cheating and Brady, one of the few times I thought he called it like it is. Just wish he could have sold the point with a win.

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
wasnt aware Porter calling out Brady and the *Pats was poor sportsmanship. The Cleveland game if i recall he got into it with 2 guys at the 50 yrd line before the game and it turned into a fist fight but hell give them the benifit of the doubt im sure Joey started that too. Along with Porter calling Ray Lewis out after he did the shot in the a55 dance. I dont see any of this as poor sportsmanship i see it as a man standing for what he believes in.

All of the above are reasons that Porter was never a favorite of mine.

You wanna make a point? Do it in the game.

Franco has a point to make to Hollywood Henderson, he demands the ball and will not be stopped.
Ravens put a "bounty" on Hines, HE punishes them and laughs as they call HIM dirty.
Ravens call Plex "Plexiglass" Plax has a career game on them.

Joey you got a beef with Ray, make his QB pay.

You got a problem with the Pats? They proved that they dont need to cheat to keep you in check.

Captain Lemming
11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
How embarrassing

Below is one of many articles mocking the dolphin who loves to talk a big game

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After loud week, Dolphins LB makes little noise in loss

November 8, 2009, 5:50 PM

By: Chris Forsberg

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- After doing a lot of talking in the days leading up to Sunday's game with the Patriots, Miami linebacker Joey Porter didn't make much noise on the field.

Porter did not make a single tackle in New England's 27-17 win at Gillette Stadium, following a week in which he sounded off on a number of subjects, including his hatred for the Patriots, his lingering anger over Spygate and his belief that the NFL invented rules to protect Tom Brady.

As observed by ESPN.com AFC East blogger Tim Graham, Porter was shown on the Gillette Stadium video scoreboard in the final moments of the game with a message indicating he had zero tackles.

Graham also notes that Porter's stat line was filled entirely with zeroes: no tackles, no passes defensed, no sacks, no forced fumbles.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I understand why he has to run his mouth so much.

Were it not for his pre game jabbering nobody would know he was in the game. :wink:

NorCal-Steeler
11-09-2009, 12:01 AM
he can go the rest of his career without a tackle or sack and it will still not change the fact of what he said about the *pats or brady not true. His game play has nothing to due with his opinion or hatred of the *pats. At no point in his interview did he say he would destroy them or get to Brady. He said he doesnt like them that they cheat and brady gets special treatment i believe all these to still be true.

Captain Lemming
11-09-2009, 12:56 AM
he can go the rest of his career without a tackle or sack and it will still not change the fact of what he said about the *pats or brady not true. His game play has nothing to due with his opinion or hatred of the *pats. At no point in his interview did he say he would destroy them or get to Brady. He said he doesnt like them that they cheat and brady gets special treatment i believe all these to still be true.

The issue is not whether or not it is true.
Always crying foul is for losers.

Look at a Ravens Browns Bengal Seahawk board.
Boo hoo the refs favor the Steeler. Losers.
Raiders- Ohhh the immaculate reception was a bad call. Madden STILL cant get over it.
Al Davis saying we froze the field so Cliff Branch could not run, because Blount "feared" Branch.

I love when teams whine. Call Hines dirty. When Ray Ray says Reed deserved the MVP over Harrison. When players whine about us like the Raiders did about us in the 70s, WE OWN THEM. We are in their heads. They are like yapping little dogs, trying to convince themselves they are not intimidated.
Confident teams and players dont need to "bark".

Want proof?
You dont see heavily favored teams doing it much. Even teams WITH talkers. They do it when they play teams who have dominated them.

The Pats OWN JOEY. They are in his head. That is why he yaps. THAT is why he was again dominated by the Pats.

We have the six rings not the Pats. Who cares how they got theirs, it is old news we won two since then.

When I hear Steeler fans whining about the Pats cheating, or how the media loves Brady, how we get no love, it is like reading what Browns fans say about us.

We have the best franchise in NFL history, with more rings than anybody.

If they did cheat, truth is the RAMS crush us in the SB that year, easy. They had Warner now the all time leading SB passer, we had Kordell a bundle of playoff nerves. nuff said.

feltdizz
11-09-2009, 01:39 AM

... Actually, it's "barOmeter".... http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2585/thumbsupj.gif

.... And I "boo'd" the sh*t out of him when he got tossed before the game against Cleveland for running his yap and being an idiot... I "touched" a football, did you?.... If so, did you exercise good sportsmanship and even further, let your actions on the field speak for you? Or was smack talk more important?.... Just wondering....

thanks for correcting my spelling on a message board. Feel smarter now? I guess you were the fan I was talking about since you took it personally...

And for the record... Some players yap, some don't. I talked durng some games and didn't in others. But like I already posted. The stats don't lie. Do you really think ham and lambert didn't talk trash because there wasn't espn to repeat it all day?

Some of you guys kill me with the "just do your job and shut up" robot mentality...

Please spell check this for me lol...

steelernation77
11-09-2009, 02:44 AM
Peezy will always be a Steeler great. I understand that some did not like his yapping but it's undeniable that he had some outstanding seasons in the black and gold and was always a team guy. He loved the Steelers and still shows love for the Steelers. Personally I will always have a soft spot for #55.