PDA

View Full Version : Ben wants more no-huddle

stlrz d
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
Big Ben lobbying Steelers' coaches for more no-huddle vs. Broncos

Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians hears Ben Roethlisberger's campaign speech so often, he probably can recite it.

It goes something like this: "You know, I think this would be a good week for the no-huddle."

Of course, Roethlisberger believes every week is a good week to run the offense he likes best.

"He's lobbied every week for it," Arians said Thursday.

No doubt Roethlisberger is especially eager to go to the no-huddle Monday night in Denver, given how much success the Baltimore Ravens had while running 31 plays out of no-huddle sets during their 30-7 victory over the Broncos last weekend.

The NFL is a copycat league, and the Steelers are aware of how the Ravens repeatedly kept the Broncos off balance by forcing them to keep their base defense on the field and preventing them from situationally substituting players.

"It's a possibility," Roethlisberger said. "We'll go into it with the mentality that we'll go in with the game plan we've got and, if we need to go into the no-huddle, we'll do it."

In the no-huddle, the quarterback gathers the team at the line of scrimmage immediately after a play ends, makes the next play call there and sets everyone up properly before taking the snap, often in a shotgun formation. Usually, there's not enough time for the defense to make substitutions.

"Baltimore ran the ball fairly good (out of the no-huddle)," Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said. "They made plays ... but we're not going to go in with an identical game plan. We're going to go in with what works for us. We're us, and we're going to work with what we do best."

What the Steelers did best while beating the Minnesota Vikings 27-17 on Oct. 25 was, coincidentally, running their hurry-up offense. Their only offensive touchdown came during a 91-yard drive that lasted slightly more than a minute and ended with Roethlisberger throwing a 40-yard scoring pass to rookie wide receiver Mike Wallace with 24 seconds left in the second quarter.

While operating in the hurry-up, Roethlisberger completed 4 of 7 passes for 85 yards, with one incompletion coming when he spiked the ball. The rest of the game -- the Steelers used the no-huddle on that drive only -- Roethlisberger was 10 of 19 for 90 yards, partly because the Vikings kept using two safeties in deep zone coverage to discourage the pass.

"It's something Ben likes to do," Ward said. "It keeps defenses on their heels. ... We've got a great feel for it and we've had some success running the no-huddle. It's just a matter of whatever Ben calls, all 11 guys are on the same page and we move forward."

Arians said this earlier season that virtually the entire offense can be run from the no-huddle.

"He (Roethlisberger) can use almost 80 percent of the playbook in it, and he's gotten very proficient with it," Arians said.

Going to the no-huddle in Denver might be more difficult because the thin air discourages teams from keeping the same personnel groups on the field for extended plays. A receiver who runs deep patterns on three consecutive plays, for example, is more likely to feel tired in Denver than if he were running the same plays in a dome stadium.

While Roethlisberger agreed that it is different playing in Denver, Arians said he won't let the altitude affect his play-calling -- or whether the Steelers use the no-huddle.

"It's just a look that we use; we'll see how it goes, and this game is one in which it could show up a lot or it could not show up at all," Arians said. "We'll just see how the game goes."

The Steelers are running the ball less than they have in any season in their history except 1991, which means defenses long conditioned to trying to take away Pittsburgh's running game are increasingly playing a Tampa Two-like zone defense to discourage Roethlisberger from going downfield.

Using a no-huddle in Denver might help the Steelers get their running game going because it wouldn't allow the Broncos to put extra defensive backs onto the field on certain plays.

"We're trying to be balanced," Ward said. "If we can't run the ball, we're going to find whatever means we can to win ballgames. We're going to stick with what got us to 5-2. We don't worry about stats."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d813f8eeb&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true)

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Nope. No way. I don't trust Ben to call that one play running where are our RB goes between guard and tackle; the opposition knows is coming on each and every 3rd or 4th and short. Forget it Ben. What would we do if you called (God forbid) something else?

I wish there was some way we could beam a little mini holographic BA out of Ben's wristband while he's on the field. So he could run down the field into a no huddle set-up but still pop open his wrist band thing and have a chat with the little mini-BA appearing before him like a magic genie. Imagine if you will:

(Ben runs down the field then pops open his wristband/playcard thing) Mini-Genie BA: "3rd and inches. You know what to do my young padowan..."

Djfan
11-05-2009, 10:19 PM
This kind of stuff drives me nuts. BA has a ring because of Ben, but when the best offensive weapon we have had in years has an idea to open up the offense it is rejected over and over again.

I just don't get BA. I hope the best for him next year as head coach of the Stains, or somewhere, please.

Flasteel
11-06-2009, 12:18 AM
The lack of defensive substitution no doubt helps, but we all know why the no-huddle is especially potent with our offense.

It removes Bruce Arians from the equation.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-06-2009, 02:12 AM
The lack of defensive substitution no doubt helps, but we all know why the no-huddle is especially potent with our offense.

It removes Bruce Arians from the equation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:Clap

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Djfan
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
It takes him out of it, but it also puts more points on the board, which makes offenses play into our defensive strengths.

BA baffles me.

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 09:52 AM
I wish there was some way we could beam a little mini holographic BA out of Ben's wristband while he's on the field.
"

I could swear there have been times when I saw a holograph of the Emperor just above Tom Brady's wrist.

AngryAsian
11-06-2009, 10:51 AM
The obvious is just too glaring for the average Steeler fan. Our winning scheme is the no-huddle. When we employ it we score and score often. The weaponry is there and I just can't understand why we just cant "release the hounds!" BA seems to be taking the "jack" approach with the no-huddle.... to be taken out in case of emergency... when we should have it as the "steering wheel".... something in which to guide our offense.

aggiebones
11-06-2009, 12:40 PM
If you run no-huddle too much, then the QB can fall into a tendency to be predictable. I can't believe I'm saying this, but its better to have Arians do it from the sidelines for the MAJORITY of snaps. I could see giving the reigns periodically through the game, but Ben has enough on his plate.

pfelix73
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I'm about to start a website fireBA.com

What an a$$.

:tt1

Djfan
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM

What an a$$.

http://firebrucearians.com/

Jooser
11-06-2009, 01:43 PM

What an a$$.

http://firebrucearians.com/

HOLY SHNIKIES!!!!! :shock:

BURGH86STEEL
11-06-2009, 04:30 PM
They scored running a regular offense and the no huddle. There are risks and rewards involved with running the no huddle. I suppose the risks involved are why the coaches don't want to run it more often.

sd steel
11-07-2009, 02:58 AM
Everytime I see this thread it makes me think of this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQ ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM&feature=related)

Djfan
11-07-2009, 10:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQ ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mie9hhQTUM&feature=related)

Alright, SD Steel,

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a connection. A little insight please?

sd steel
11-07-2009, 12:44 PM

Alright, SD Steel,

Ben wants more no-huddle....Ben wants more Cow-bell. Just reminds me of this skit everytime I read the title.

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2009, 01:06 PM
[quote="sd steel":2lwq30ee]Everytime I see this thread it makes me think of this

Alright, SD Steel,

Ben wants more no-huddle....Ben wants more Cow-bell. Just reminds me of this skit everytime I read the title.[/quote:2lwq30ee]

I got a fever, and the only prescription is more no-huddle!

http://a0.vox.com/6a00c2252178db604a00fad6ab64f00005-500pi

feltdizz
11-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Do you really think our success rate would stay the same if we went no huddle all game? It's no different them those who want Heath to get mega touches every game.

Both are successful because we don't over use them.

Flasteel
11-07-2009, 02:17 PM
Do you really think our success rate would stay the same if we went no huddle all game? It's no different them those who want Heath to get mega touches every game.

I don't think anyone's suggesting we start running our own K-Gun and go no-huddle all game long. However, 1, 2, or even 3 series, when it's clearly our best offensive package is seriously underutilizing it.

BURGH86STEEL
11-07-2009, 03:19 PM

I don't think anyone's suggesting we start running our own K-Gun and go no-huddle all game long. However, 1, 2, or even 3 series, when it's clearly our best offensive package is seriously underutilizing it.

They probably average running the no-huddle at least 2 series a game. I am not so sure the no-huddle is the team's best package. Need more evidence to make that determination. I know that a majority of the points they scored came out of the offenses they run outside the no-huddle. The biggest area they need to clean up on are the player mistakes. They left a lot of points off the score board in the "regular offenses" due to player mistakes.

stlrz d
11-07-2009, 10:08 PM

They probably average running the no-huddle at least 2 series a game. I am not so sure the no-huddle is the team's best package. Need more evidence to make that determination. I know that a majority of the points they scored came out of the offenses they run outside the no-huddle. The biggest area they need to clean up on are the player mistakes. They left a lot of points off the score board in the "regular offenses" due to player mistakes.

If they ran it more you'd have your evidence. Every time there is a long scoring drive we find out what after the game? No huddle. :wink:

BURGH86STEEL
11-07-2009, 11:01 PM

If they ran it more you'd have your evidence. Every time there is a long scoring drive we find out what after the game? No huddle. :wink:

Not sure if they ran it more we would have the evidence we need. We would have to take a look at the other play calls and formations as well. I know they scored out various play calls and formations. If we look back, I think we will see there are times the no-huddle failed to produce. What fans remember may not be what actually happened. You know this for yourself because you posed the argument about Ben taking check downs.

If they ran it more, more bad things might come out of the no-huddle. Running it more will also give defenses more opportunities to get a feel for what they like to do in those situations. The no-huddle may be best saved for when they absolutely have to use it. That's probably the way the coaches feel. The ultimate goal is to become a more efficient offense without having to run the no-huddle. There are 2 ways they can accomplish that goal. Practice and game day situations.

There are also situations when people remember them running the no-huddle when they actually did not. I believe the last drive of the SB was one of those occasions. As long as the players limit mistakes and execute, the offense will continue to get better.

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 01:10 AM
The no huddle strikes again!!!

Flasteel
11-10-2009, 01:19 AM
The no huddle strikes again!!!

Great minds must think alike D. I was just loggin on to dial this same thread up. I think we have plenty of evidence to show this is clearly our best package. The post game with Suzy Kolber, Ben emphatically stated it was the no-huddle which made the difference.

I think Arians may be feeling a little scared to run it more often. He even stated that if we ran the no-huddle all of the time he could take every night off.

Well Bruce, as far as I'm concerned, you have your invitation to do so.

RuthlessBurgher
11-10-2009, 02:24 AM
We started moving the ball in the 2nd half via the no huddle, but that first no huddle drive in the 3rd quarter ended with an interception at the goal line. The no huddle giveth and the no huddle taketh away. It is not, and should not be, the end-all and be-all of our offense. I'm happy to pull it out 2-3 times a game to give up a jump-start. That keeps it fresh and effective instead of stale with other teams getting used to our tendencies during the hurry-up offense.

stlrz d
11-10-2009, 09:33 AM
We started moving the ball in the 2nd half via the no huddle, but that first no huddle drive in the 3rd quarter ended with an interception at the goal line. The no huddle giveth and the no huddle taketh away. It is not, and should not be, the end-all and be-all of our offense. I'm happy to pull it out 2-3 times a game to give up a jump-start. That keeps it fresh and effective instead of stale with other teams getting used to our tendencies during the hurry-up offense.

That's a bad pass man. Whether that happens in the no huddle or the regular offense.