PDA

View Full Version : How did you become a STEELERS fan??

LordVile
11-05-2009, 05:01 PM
For me, I'm a relatively new fan.

I rarely ever watched football. I tried to get into a Cowboys game a few years back (I'm in California) and it was rather boring. I enjoyed the superbowl of giants/pats a few years back, I rooted for the giants as I thought the Pats were too full of themselves going into the SB but other than that I had no interest in football.

Until last summer, an old friend told me to start watching Steeler football with him, drink beer and smoke, give it a chance. He was born a Steelers fan, so I took him up on it and started to follow the season. I watched games alone sometimes, and after a few games I was hooked on the heroics of the team and became a fan.

As a first year fan, last year, I had very little doubts that we would win most games but I still laugh at my buddy, when he walked out of my house when we watched the superbowl last year. When L Fitzgerald scored the TD that put the CARDS on top, my buddy left the party I had going and completely missed the HOlmes TD catch!! haha

I'm glad that I became a fan during the mid-season and I ain't a BANDWAGONER. I study everyday and learn.
Also, that here in California, there ain't too many Steelers fans. Mostly, just me and my buddy smoking/drinking and talkin Steelers football everyday.

Guess, I'm just kinda bored waiting til MNF but win or lose, I can't imagine backing another team, ever. BLACK and GOLD

So, anyone else have any stories to tell??

flippy
11-05-2009, 05:08 PM
congrats on picking the right team. most of us are born on the bandwagon.

people that don't want more bandwagoners are like people that hate immigrants. we all come from immigrants.

except for a few american indians which most of us aren't.

LordVile
11-05-2009, 05:25 PM

people that don't want more bandwagoners are like people that hate immigrants. we all come from immigrants.

Thanks bretheren,
I don't know what I'd do if I weren't a STEELERS fan, probably would wind up cheering for the rat-birds as I do got respect for them. During the off-season I felt like a BITTCH IN HEAT.

They released the STORY OF 6 CHAMPIONSHIPS DVD on the 3rd, but I can't find a copy of it in stores. I wanted to get loaded and watch it this weekend but I guess Warner Bros, hasn't sent it to the stores around Los Angeles yet.

"most of us are born on the bandwagon."
Yeah, my buddy has pictures of him as a baby wearing a Steelers t-shirt!

In California, since we have no team, their are mostly Cowgirl fans out here, Bolts fans, and those loser low-life Raider fans. We sport Steelers gear/jerseys and ppl roll their eyes at us. It's lonely at the top, as they say. F the haters.

flippy
11-05-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks bretheren,
I don't know what I'd do if I weren't a STEELERS fan, probably would wind up cheering for the rat-birds as I do got respect for them. During the off-season I felt like a BITTCH IN HEAT.

They released the STORY OF 6 CHAMPIONSHIPS DVD on the 3rd, but I can't find a copy of it in stores. I wanted to get loaded and watch it this weekend but I guess Warner Bros, hasn't sent it to the stores around Los Angeles yet.

In California, since we have no team, their are mostly Cowgirl fans out here, Bolts fans, and those loser low-life Raider fans. We sport Steelers gear/jerseys and ppl roll their eyes at us. It's lonely at the top, as they say. F the haters.

CA is Pittsburgh west. They got on the bandwagon in the 70s when the Steelers were the only game on tv.

We're gonna have to work on that respect that you have for the Ravens. It's not a becoming trait ;)

Steeler Mafia
11-05-2009, 05:35 PM
I was born into the greatness of being a Steeler Fan.

:tt2 :tt2 :Beer :Cheers :tt2 :tt2

LordVile
11-05-2009, 05:39 PM

Thanks bretheren,

CA is Pittsburgh west. They got on the bandwagon in the 70s when the Steelers were the only game on tv.

We're gonna have to work on that respect that you have for the Ravens. It's not a becoming trait ;)

HAHA!! I ain't sayin I LIKE EM', but I would rather play the Bungles than the Ravens in a big game situation.

SteelAbility
11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
I was conceived in da Burgh, but born elsewhere. My parents lived in Pittsburgh for about 4-5 years.

Ozey74
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Born at Jeanette Mercy Hospital in the mid 70's. Lived in the suburbs until I was 10. Moved to Indiana the same year the Colts came here from Baltimore. Never rooted for anything other than the B&G.

:tt2

MeetJoeGreene
11-05-2009, 06:06 PM
I was born and raised in Western PA. lived through my teenage years as the Steelers were winning #3 and 4.

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks bretheren,

I was born in SoCal in the late 60's and nobody in my family or neighborhood was a Steelers fan. But as a kid I LOVED to play football - at school, on the street, in the 'hood or wherever. Somewhere along the line, at the edge of my conscious memories, I wanted to BE Jack Lambert and became a die-hard steelers fan. I've always loved the black and gold colors as well as the super-cool logo (made even cooler 'cause it's only on one side) and I'm sure that also played some part in me becomiong a fan, though secondary to the reality that I LOVED agressive, hard hitting defensive football and there was no better at this then my heroes -

Lambert, Ham, Winston

Shell, Wagner

Greene, Greenwood, Furness (who was other DE?)

Blount, Ron Johnson

ikestops85
11-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I was born in the South Hills of Pittsburgh so Black and Gold runs through my blood. I went to my first game when I was 10 years old. My Dad took me to see the steelers play the St. Louis Cardinals at Pitt Stadium.

I loved every minute of the game but the Steelers got killed. After the game was over I told my Dad that we weren't very good. I'll never forget what he told me. He said "Son, when you are a steeler fan you don't keep track of who wins or loses by the scoreboard. You keep score by the number of players carried off the field. By my count we won this game 7 to 2."

Nobody like to play the Steelers in those days. Even though the steelers would mostly lose the games they left the opponent bloodied and bruised. I think one year they figured out that no team won a game the week after they played the steelers (although I'm old and my mind is fading quickly so I might be making that up :lol: ).

and then listening to the game on the radio when Franco made the Immaculate Reception (yes folks, that was back in the days when they didn't televise home games). The seemingly endless wait while the officials discussed the play. Another thing that never happened in those days. Officials made calls ... they didn't stand around and discuss them.

I think it was the year after that we started taking the road trips for home games. A bunch of neighbors would get together and we would go to a motel in Ohio and rent a couple of rooms so we could watch the games. The adults would drink Iron City all during the game and then pack the kids up and drive home when the game was over. Ah yes, those were the days.

Go Steelers :tt2

Uncle Rico
11-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Indoctrinated Yinzer here.

ikestops85
11-05-2009, 06:18 PM

That would be Dwight White :Cheers

frankthetank1
11-05-2009, 07:02 PM
I was conceived in da Burgh, but born elsewhere. My parents lived in Pittsburgh for about 4-5 years.

nice me too. my parents went to the burgh for a weekend when BC was playing pitt and the steelers were playing the browns. i was born in ct but my dad's half is from the burgh. i like all the teams my dad liked and the same goes for my kids. i thank god all the time my dad didnt like the browns, raiders or cowboys

NW Steeler
11-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I've lived in Washington state my whole life (41 years), but have been a Steelers fan since I was 6 or 7 years old. We had some neighbors move in from somewhere in Pennsylvania and they all wore Steelers gear. I thought it was cool as hell, so I jumped on board. Of course that was like 74' or 75', so it was a good time to start being a Steelers fan. People out here don't understand why I don't like the Seahawks. They were not even in existence when I started to root for the Black & Gold. Hell, for x-mas one year I got the Steelers helmet, Franco Harris jersey and the gold pants from JC Penney...remember when they sold that stuff? I still have that jersey on my garage wall!

The weirdest thing was that when I went to Pittsburgh for the first time last year, I felt like I had gone home!
:tt1
:tt2
:Beer

Lonbull
11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
LordVile -

There are plenty of Steelers fans in Los Angeles - I'm one of them.

If you go to a bar called Gabe's (on Sepulveda - just south of Pico, across the street from IHOP) the place is packed with Black and Gold.

Further south at a place called the Starting Gate - that bar is insane with Steelers fans.

That aside - My family worked in the Steel industry around Pittsburgh (mostly Weirton) and asking one of them to root for another team - might have been like asking them to be Communist.

I would say out of anything though - Jack Lambert was the guy who made me a Steelers fan. He was, lean, mean, angry and talented - but most of all he played with a certain loyalty for his team that you rarely see. (Hines Ward is another guy who plays with that kind of loyalty).

In all honesty I was too scared NOT to be fan of the Steelers back when he was playing.

L.B.

steelsnis
11-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Kinda weird, as I'm a Steelers fan since about 1976, but also a Phillies and Sixers fan. I spent a few years as a kid living in South Jersey where I got to like the Phils & Sixers, but my Steeler love couldn't get swayed by the Eagles (thank God)

My mother was born in Mckeesport and my Grandfather lived in Three Rivers Plaza Apartments (right across the street from Three Rivers Stadium). Needless to say, when we visited him, I was in Steelers heaven!

Went to school in Philly at La Salle in the early 1990's and wore my Greg Lloyd jersey with pride!

anger 82&95
11-05-2009, 07:32 PM

Thanks bretheren,

I was born in SoCal in the late 60's and nobody in my family or neighborhood was a Steelers fan. But as a kid I LOVED to play football - at school, on the street, in the 'hood or wherever. Somewhere along the line, at the edge of my conscious memories, I wanted to BE Jack Lambert and became a die-hard steelers fan. I've always loved the black and gold colors as well as the super-cool logo (made even cooler 'cause it's only on one side) and I'm sure that also played some part in me becomiong a fan, though secondary to the reality that I LOVED agressive, hard hitting defensive football and there was no better at this then my heroes -

Lambert, Ham, Winston

Shell, Wagner

Blount, Ron JohnsonIím also from SoCal and The Local Pop Warner team wasÖ yep, you guessed it, the Steelers. We all wanted to be either, Swann, Mean Joe, Bradshaw or Franco. Even as a little fellow I was constantly in arguing matches with my friends that supported the Raiders and Chargers: interestingly enough, they're pretty damn quiet now!

NKySteeler
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
My folks grew up in McKeesport (unfortunately, the area has gone WAY downhill since those old days). I grew up knowing nothing else but Steeler football, and everywhere I've moved through my travels I've carried it with me.

Early on, during the Super Bowl run of the '75 season, I had played on a little-league football team in Roanoke Va... My buddy was a Dallas fan... Well, late in the season he broke his arm and had a cast put on it... When I "signed" his cast, I put some sort of statement about the Steelers and drew the logo on it.... In permanent marker.... Well, his mom called my mom and all that sort of stuff.... Long story short, he had to watch his Cowboys lose and see the Steeler logo on his own arm throughout that Super Bowl run by us.... To me, it was priceless!

SidSmythe
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Born in Western NY in 1973
Came from a family of Cowboy fans, i obviously revolted and picked the Real America's team (Circa 1980)

steelsun7
11-05-2009, 08:57 PM
born in steubenville ,oh
grew up a steeler fan!!!!!

BATMAN
11-05-2009, 09:11 PM
welcome to the steeler family. i was born into the steeler life and love our birth rite of expecting to be super bowl champs. i started following steelers or football at the age 8. i'm glad i tuned into that because that is just when 1970, the steelers were becoming a dynasty. got to witness acouple of down years and i was looking in the fridg when franco caught the immaculant reception. i thought the season was over and all of a sudden, my dad screamed with joy and the rest is great history.

there is no other team like the steelers and the football gods have smiled upon you and enlightened you to a higher calling of being a fan.

soon, you/we will be coming up with phrases such as, number 7 will get us our 7th.

by the way, great story on your buddy missing the santonio TD and win, i do feel sorry for your buddy.

go steelers.

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 09:38 PM
Birthright. I was born in 1975, right at the start of the Steeler dynasty. My father was a Steeler fan, even though we were from NEPA instead of SWPA (meaning that we are closer geographically to Philly, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, plus Boston and Buffalo are roughly the same distance away as Pittsburgh).

My brother is the black sheep, becoming a Dolphin fan, but I got to see him morph into a Steeler fan for 4 hours at least when I took him to Tampa for the Super Bowl. He was wearing my Dad's Lambert jersey, and by the end of the game, he was twirling his Terrible Towel, high-fiving Steeler fans, and saying "We did it!!!"

Wolfhound45
11-05-2009, 10:46 PM
Born and raised in Baton Rouge, Louisiana in the early 60s. Currently serving in the US Army (26 years and counting). Became a fan because of the influence of my uncle. He loved that big, dumb hick who played quarterback for the Steelers in the 70s. Did not take me long before I became a rabid fan as well. Anyone remember who that goofy guy was anyway?

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/si_online/covers/images/1970/0209_large.jpg

Have been a fan since then. Followed them from Super Bowl X until today, through thick and thin (and Walter Andrew Brister III - another "famous" product of the state of Louisiana). Found out years later that I actually shared my birthday with the day the Steelers were founded. Do you know what day that is? Guess that means I was "born" to be a Steelers fan.

Anyway, not born in Steel country but only Black and Gold runs through my Creole veins.

Lonbull
11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
born in steubenville ,oh
grew up a steeler fan!!!!!

Kind of antithetical being a Steelers football fan and an ASU football fan isn't it?

**I also went to ASU. :HeadBanger

L.B.

spyboots
11-06-2009, 03:56 AM
Steeler fan since I was conceived, just outside of Pittsburgh.

takagi
11-06-2009, 06:17 AM
Well, I live in Estonia (Northern Europe) and (american) football isn't popular in here. Soccer, basketball, track and field and winter sports are the main things :HeadBanger
But I remember that the first NFL game I saw was Steelers vs Buccs..I think it was in 2002.. I was 14 then.
It was the first time I saw a football game (I know it's funny to you guys) and instantly fell in love with it!!! After that I learned all the rules and bought Madden 02.
The love for Steelers just became spontaneously. The more I learned about the game and the league, the more I was fascinated about them.
And the rest is history!

BTW. In October 2005 I had to go to the army (for 8 months). You can immagine my frustration! Fortunately I saw the playoff run but had to tape the Super Bowl :(
But in recent years the NFL has become more popular in here. The main reason is that our own boy Michael Roos is playing for the Tits.

stlrz d
11-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, I live in Estonia (Northern Europe) and (american) football isn't popular in here. Soccer, basketball, track and field and winter sports are the main things :HeadBanger
But I remember that the first NFL game I saw was Steelers vs Buccs..I think it was in 2002.. I was 14 then.
It was the first time I saw a football game (I know it's funny to you guys) and instantly fell in love with it!!! After that I learned all the rules and bought Madden 02.
The love for Steelers just became spontaneously. The more I learned about the game and the league, the more I was fascinated about them.
And the rest is history!

BTW. In October 2005 I had to go to the army (for 8 months). You can immagine my frustration! Fortunately I saw the playoff run but had to tape the Super Bowl :(
But in recent years the NFL has become more popular in here. The main reason is that our own boy Michael Roos is playing for the Tits.

We won that game.

You bandwagoner! :lol:

rpmpit
11-06-2009, 09:55 AM
I love it when these posts come up. Great to hear all your stories!

Parents are from Italy, so soccer was what was on TV most of the time. Actually played soccer as a kid until I realized I wasn't really built for it. You guys that have met me will understand :lol:

I remember watching the Rocky Bleier movie "Fighting Back" with Robert Urich with my Mom and Grandmother. This was also around the time the Mean Joe Coke commercial was out. And Mean Joe was also a guest star on a show I watched as a kid called The Great Space Coaster. Add to that the Steelers were kinda sorta successful in the 70s so this was the team I latched onto. Can a 7 year old be a bandwagoner?? :lol:

Someday when armpit jr. is posting on a Steeler message board and this question comes up, he'll say he was born a Steeler fan!!! :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 10:14 AM

Parents are from Italy, so soccer was what was on TV most of the time. Actually played soccer as a kid until I realized I wasn't really built for it. You guys that have met me will understand :lol:

I remember watching the Rocky Bleier movie "Fighting Back" with Robert Urich with my Mom and Grandmother. This was also around the time the Mean Joe Coke commercial was out. And Mean Joe was also a guest star on a show I watched as a kid called The Great Space Coaster. Add to that the Steelers were kinda sorta successful in the 70s so this was the team I latched onto. Can a 7 year old be a bandwagoner?? :lol:

Someday when armpit jr. is posting on a Steeler message board and this question comes up, he'll say he was born a Steeler fan!!! :tt1

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K3TV01Tpz0Y/SphYq0ot0jI/AAAAAAAAAu8/8mIngfYAWws/s320/gnu24.jpg

"No Gnews is Good Gnews with Gary...Gnu!"

takagi
11-06-2009, 10:17 AM
And the rest is history!

We won that game.

You bandwagoner! :lol:

Ou yea, I forgot that :D
I'm glad Tampa didn't win, otherwise I would be a die hard Buccs fan...haah..just messing :lol: I remember rooting for the Steelers!
The other thing I forgot/messed up was my age. I was 16 then..jeezz, I can't even calculate the easiest things :oops:

rpmpit
11-06-2009, 10:30 AM

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_K3TV01Tpz0Y/SphYq0ot0jI/AAAAAAAAAu8/8mIngfYAWws/s320/gnu24.jpg

"No Gnews is Good Gnews with Gary...Gnu!"

NICE!!! RB, you obviously remember the show. Do you remember Mean Joe being on the show? No one I've ever talked to about this remembers him being on.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 10:47 AM
NICE!!! RB, you obviously remember the show. Do you remember Mean Joe being on the show? No one I've ever talked to about this remembers him being on.

Nope. I just read the wiki entry for the Great Space Coaster, and I don't remember anything in there except for Gary Gnu. I'm sure if I saw an episode, it might start coming back to me.

Jooser
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
Jooser here. I guess you'd say I was just born into it in 1973. My dad was always a Steelers fan. His brother was, and unfortunately for him still is, a die-hard Clowns fan. I can remember the two of them going round and round in the living room when I was a kid during games. I've never known any NFL loyalty to any team other than the B&G. In 1993, my uncle bought some tickets to a Cleveland game against the Steelers. He claimed we'd be born again Clowns fans after the game. LMAO! Boy, did Yancey Thigpen, Green, and Barry Foster prove him wrong! So, I guess that you'd say I was born into it too, even though I was born and raised in West by-God Virginia. Steelerism rules our family! next......

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

oh yeah, and for the record....http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/70024404445723078a20c-1.gif

proudpittsburgher
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
Yea, I was born into it as well. I was born in 75, so I missed out on any memories of the first four super bowls. I was more of a child of the 80's, which says something about me as a fan, because those were the lean Steelers years of my lifetime. Sitting through Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Cliff Stoudt, Kordell Stewart, ect. My Aunt Rose was a nanny for the Rooneys, so I recieved press passes with my dad for most of my childhood, which would get us into three rivers and we could find some standing room spot for watching the games. I remember how cold we would get watching the game at the confluence (Pittsburgh word :lol: ) of two of the ramps. It was on the river side, but on the 50 yard line, so we would freeze our butts off, but it was worth it, because the crowd was more limited than the traditional standing room only spots above the tunnels. I could never turn my back on this team. What you mentioned in your post is true, the Steelers have a way about them. It just feels heroic sometimes watching them fight back and never quit. I truly feel like this is a team, with a few exceptions i'm sure. But I feel like this is a band of brother more than your average football team. Dallas, Indy, New Orleans may be more flashy, and New England might get all the press, but this is the football team with a constant chip on its shoulder, and I like that. It just feels like Pittsburgh. Most outsiders make fun of Steelers fans for how much they care about the team, but what they don't get is that the Steelers epitomize the city more than most franchises. So I am that guy who has a great week if they win, and a craptacular week when they lose. I'm not big on emotions, but I'll well up a bit for a big playoff win or a super bowl win because it truly does mean that much to me. I have perspective, but this team will always be a big part of my life.

fezziwig
11-06-2009, 11:06 AM
God loved me so much, I was born and raised by Steelers parents, family and friends.
It is true, it takes a community to raise a child and being raised by a naiton, Steeler nation that is, we the fans are of the greatest NFL team in history.

I love it when these post come up about our fan base and our love for the black and gold. What makes it even nicer to be a Steeler Fan we, also have the best looking uniforms. It's having the best of both worlds.
It is one thing to have a not so good looking or ugly uniform that is over looked because your team is great but, we have the best team and uniforms.

All from above fellows, it was started all from above.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 11:08 AM
Imagine wearing purple or brown or orange. Blech...can't even stomach the thought of it!

NC Steeler Fan
11-06-2009, 11:51 AM
My father grew up in Pittsburgh, my mom grew up in Johnstown (80 miles east).

Being a Steeler fan is in my genetic code.

Seriously, I have one little black chromosome and one little gold chromosone next to each other on the DNA chain. :D

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 11:58 AM
My father grew up in Pittsburgh, my mom grew up in Johnstown (80 miles east).

Being a Steeler fan is in my genetic code.

Seriously, I have one little black chromosome and one little gold chromosone next to each other on the DNA chain. :D

Black chromosome and gold chromosome? Were your parents Foxy Cleopatra and Goldmember? :P

papillon
11-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Birthright, never knew anything else since I was old enough (Don't even say it Ruthless, I know what you're thinking) to remember watching football.

Grew up about 20 - 25 miles east of the city and would catch the 67F to the stadium almost every weekend starting when I was about 13 or 14. A friend who lived in Rankin would meet me outside gate C at TRS and we'd either have tickets in hand (my mom worked for a justice of the peace and was helping Steelers with their speeding tickets :tt2 and my friends dad was a county cop, so he got tickets often as well) or we'd purchase outside the stadium.

What a way to spend Sunday afternoons during my youth. :Cheers

Pappy

RockyMountainSteeler
11-06-2009, 12:55 PM
For me it was predestined. Birthday was 3/3 (founding year) 1975 (first Super Bowl) win. Like alot of the others I missed out on the Super Bowl destiny of the 70's and became a fan of teh Steelers in the 80's, which is enough to make anyone these days appreciate that the Steelers organization continuously manages to field teams that are always in contention year in and yearout.

My parents got divorced right after I was born (father was a Raiders fan) and she remarried to my stepfather before my earliest memory. He was born and raised in Pittsburgh and brought me up on them ever since. I have family on that side still there in Canonsburg. My uncle was the local weatherman there in the 80's also (Dick Mancini if any of you remember him).

I had never been to a game there until '97 when we heard that Three Rivers might be replaced. That year I told my dad the only thing that I wanted for Christmas was to go see a game in Three Rivers. About a month later we were on a plane from Denver to see the Steelers play the Broncos (both of us did not like the Broncos because that is all you heard about locally, Elway this and Elway that). What a fantastic game and feeling to be in the home of the Steelers.

I honestly walked into the stadium in awe and remember telling my dad that "I am home, this is where I belong". The fans were awesome from tailgating to chanting on the way out of the stadium. I also remember being down at halftime and when I was in the pisser I told the guy next to me "I came along way to see this game, are they going to win or what?" His response was "we got them right where we want them, don't worry". Well, they came back to win. That's when I realized never to give up on this team and to always believe.

Since then I have been out the following year to see the Eagles, a game against the Raiders where we got hammered by Gannon, Rice and Tim Brown, another game against the Broncos 3 years ago with my wife and two years against the Bills opening day weekend. You can say that I am now an addict to coming out to see games whenever possible.

Now the tradition gets passed down to my son this Monday Night. He will be attending his first Steelers game and the next time we are in the Burgh he will assuredly be right by my side.

Tomlinator
11-06-2009, 01:47 PM
My Dad was in the Army. I was born in Germany. Iíve never been to Pittsburgh.

I got introduced to football on the playground. The first game I ever watched on tv was a Rams-49ers game. They did not peak my interest. Somewhere along the way (mid 70's) I saw Swann and Lambert highlights and something clicked. I really wanted to be just like Swanny.

We eventually ended up in Colorado. As you can imagine, Army folks come from all over, so all my friends liked different teams. This was also in the middle of the Orange Crush era, so a bunch of people gave me a hard time for not being a Donkey fan, but it only made my luv for the B&G stronger. Iíve lived in a number of places, but nothing can sway my loyalty to the Steelers.

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r245/djavoo/thSteelers4.jpg

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l274/jtrack18/fans.jpg

a few reasons I remain a Steelers fan!

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:27 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/tobaker70/thsteelers.jpg

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:29 PM
yeah, I guess I'm just brain storming now....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/ynot2mine3/the%20Steelers/b658.jpg

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:31 PM
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq357/saintchism/Curiosities/Steelers-best-fans.jpg

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu209/alividal302/steelers-tattoos.jpg

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:33 PM
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff205/MsTerri1984/steelers1.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l3/Polexia_Aphrodisia/STEELERS/steelers.jpg

Eh-HEM!!!

Jooser
11-06-2009, 02:36 PM
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/SilvrWolf/pl_258974.jpg

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll287/robwilliamsaz/family/DSC04592.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t107/russler65/Steelers/ForeverSteelerFansAdd.jpg

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj218/stevejc1978/steelers9.png

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

nice me too. my parents went to the burgh for a weekend when BC was playing pitt and the steelers were playing the browns. i was born in ct but my dad's half is from the burgh. i like all the teams my dad liked and the same goes for my kids. i thank god all the time my dad didnt like the browns, raiders or cowboys

Sounds like they had a great time!! :tt2

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM

Pappy

:Cheers ???? You were having beers with buddies in your youth? Awesome! :mrgreen:

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 03:49 PM

Pappy

:Cheers ???? You were having beers with buddies in your youth? Awesome! :mrgreen:

http://shanghaiist.com/attachments/shanghailaine/little_kids_drinking.jpg

:Cheers :Beer

papillon
11-06-2009, 04:27 PM

Pappy

Ummm, didn't everyone do that?

Pappy

msp26505
11-07-2009, 01:31 AM

Thanks bretheren,

Lambert, Ham, Winston

Shell, Wagner

Blount, Ron Johnson

Sounds like we're about the same age. (I was born in '67). The biggest difference is that my memories consist of Lambert, Ham and RUSSELL at LB, Greene, Greenwood, HOLMES, and White (the original "Steel Curtain" D-Line), and Blount and EDWARDS at the CB's.

I suspect that some of those memories come for religiously watching NFL Films over the years, but the first Steeler game I remember watching was SB X. I would have been 8 at the time.

AngryAsian
11-07-2009, 02:32 AM
Migrated to this country when I was 8. First day at school in the U.S./Florida, was assigned to a seat next to this little Italian kid from Harrisburg, PA, who also was experiencing his first day of school in Florida. Became friends out of necessity. I learned the English language hand in hand with Steeler football. First Superbowl viewed was SB X. Watching Lynn Swann make that spectacular catch against Mark Washington, was almost like a religious experience. I've been hooked ever since. 35 years later still rabid and starting my own family lineage of Black and Gold through my daughter... who for the second straight year, requested to be a Steeler Cheerleader for Halloween. Makes a Steeler Dad proud and brings a tear to my slanted eye.

sd steel
11-07-2009, 02:45 AM
I was born into it, Mom and Dad both grew up in Peters Township (about 40 minutes east), and my 2 sisters and one brother were born in the Burgh, I on the other hand was born when Dad was in the Airforce on a base in South Carolina, (They still don't let me live that down). I remember listening on the radio to the immaculate reception, and I saw my first Steelers game at Soldier field when my Dad reenlisted in the Navy and we were stationed at the Great Lakes. They played the College All Stars. It was the last year the NFL put that game on. Then we were stationed in San Diego, and I have always been the guy wearing the Black and Gold when everyone else was rooting for the Chargers!

I never watched a Steeler game at 3 Rivers, but saw the Pirates a couple times as a kid there. Although I did end up going to college back East in NY, I never made it back to Pittsburgh until 2007, (most of my parents family migrated to Florida, aside from Grandma who still lives in McKeesport). That game against the Browns in Nov 2007 was like coming home to Mecca or something. Aside from having my son, it might have been a couple of the best days of my life! It almost made me think about moving back.....but my wife told me I would be going alone!!:) Not only did me and my Bro get seats on the 50, we hung out with Matt Spaeth and numerous other Steelers at FWP's birthday party after, and even met Big Ben.

It was a dream trip, and for any fans who haven't had a chance to watch a game in the Burgh, I highly recommend it! The nicest people in the world, and a great place to party as well even if it's 25 degrees and sleet is falling! :)

Now my 9 year old son is a die hard as well and has watched every game with me since he was 5. My next duty as a Dad is to take him home to see a game.

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Now my 9 year old son is a die hard as well and has watched every game with me since he was 5. My next duty as a Dad is to take him home to see a game.

Should be great. I took my 8 year old son to his first real game a few weeks ago when we played the Browns (I had taken him to a pre-season game back when he was 2, but that doesn't count because it was only an exhibition and he was too young to remember anything). He's already asking about the next time he'll be able to go (he'll have to kill off my father to go more often). Even my 5 year old daughter is in the act, wanting to make the 5+ hour trek (each way) with me to a game...but I had to tell her to wait until she is 8 since her brother didn't get to go when he was 5.

sd steel
11-07-2009, 01:39 PM

Should be great. I took my 8 year old son to his first real game a few weeks ago when we played the Browns (I had taken him to a pre-season game back when he was 2, but that doesn't count because it was only an exhibition and he was too young to remember anything). He's already asking about the next time he'll be able to go (he'll have to kill off my father to go more often). Even my 5 year old daughter is in the act, wanting to make the 5+ hour trek (each way) with me to a game...but I had to tell her to wait until she is 8 since her brother didn't get to go when he was 5.

I wish it was a 5 hour drive as opposed to a 4 hour flight, we'd be there every weekend! But we will get back eventually! :tt2

feltdizz
11-07-2009, 02:25 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o316/tobaker70/thsteelers.jpg
My dad gave me a shirt with that on it. My grandaddies worked in the steel mills, my dad worked in the mills and
my mom wrked for American bridge. Hell, most of the family worked in the mills....Born 15 minutes from the stadium and the 16a went past 3 rivers...

SteelCrazy
11-07-2009, 03:19 PM
I was not born into a Steelers fan. My dad is a Cowgirl fan and has been for as long as I care to remember. The reason I am a fan is when I was 5 years old in 1977, my Dad purchased a vibrating football board game featuring the Cowboys and Steelers 1976 SB game. Of course my Dad picked the Cowboys, however I choose the Steelers before he claimed the girls. Fortunately, I have remained faithful to that pick I made on my 5th birthday! I grew up just two hours away from the 'Burgh in Ohio and all my friends happen to be Browns fans.,,,lol...Life is good.
:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

LordVile
11-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Good stuff, my steeler bretheren.

Was good to read everyones stories and to see how everyone has one to tell. Quite interesting. From ppl in Europe to ppl born in/near THE BURGH. very cool.

I'll def check out the Los Angeles Area steeler bars sometime soon. There's alot of cool ppl on this site and I'm glad that I found it, so I can continue to learn and study "THE WAYS"

Now let's go whoop some DONKEY ASS...

feelthesteel
11-09-2009, 08:27 PM
FAN SINCE 70'S YEAH IM OLD
HAD THE BRADSHAW FOOTBALL -WISH I STILL HAD IT.

frenchie
11-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh. We had season tickets at Three Rivers all through the 70s and 80s. Moved to Philly but I will always be a Steelers fan. My daughters wear their Steelers stuff to school and it drives all the Eagles fans crazy. Love it!

California-Steel
11-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Born that way back in the 60's. Just as my kids were born Steelers fans.

pick6
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
Walter Abercrombie, perhaps the greatest steeler rb in history. 1.9 yards and a cloud of dust.

JTP53609
11-11-2009, 03:37 PM
born and raised in pittsburgh, my family loved the steelers and I too fell in love at the age of 7 (cowher's first year) I am still young and have memories of just about all the games since than...my favorite year other than 05 and 08 was 97, that was a great season and one of the most exciting season I can remember......

Shoe
11-11-2009, 06:54 PM
How did you become a STEELERS fan??

Basically, they were always playing in the Super Bowl.
Just like any other kid, kids gravitate to the winners. It was them or the Cowboys in my mind. My brother took the Cowboys, and I took the Steelers. And it's been that way ever since.

Why I am happy/proud to be a Steeler fan?
Because the team does things the way I like: simple (run the ball, play great D, be physical), not a lot of frills--unlike Dallas for example, they stay away from controversy (picking up crazy or big-name guys), and... they win. 8)

I do feel like I've also earned my stripes so to speak, as a fan. I became a fan at the end (when they played Dallas/Rams) of the dynasty years. I have no recollection of all the great years preceding say, '78. So I became a fan right when the dynasty ended...

...and I endured all the average years of the 80's, with Walter Abercrombie, Mark Malone, Craig Wolfley, Keith Willis, Bryan Hinkle, Louis Lipps, David Little, Woodruff... to the point where I was pretty accustomed to that mediocrity (Cuz again, I only saw those last years, and those through a little kid's eyes).

So I feel like I paid my dues, unlike kids who have been fan's since Cowher. :)