PDA

View Full Version : Trolls

SteelAbility
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Is it just me or do there not seem to be a whole lot of trolls on this board? I was on the Trib board where they ran amuck, completely unchecked and unbalanced (remember Kaopectate?). Apparently, at one time, there was a Patriot troll conspiracy to take over that board. MSM exposed that. :)

Over on steelernation they apparently moderate strongly and, in particular, strongly for trolls. Kaopectate actually joined there late last year and lasted all of 3 or 4 days. I had to break out the Champagne for that. :Cheers

Do we have a troll policy? How does the troll moderation compare between here and the Trib board (which essentially let them run wild)?

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
As long as you follow the stated code of conduct, you are welcome here. Guys that aren't Steeler fans but are willing to discuss football in an intelligent manner (like Jom and Hardliner) are not considered to be trolls whatsoever. They are considered to be PlanetSteeler breathren just like everyone else whether they root for the Bengals, Chiefs, or whatever.

We have booted a few people off whose posting style was little more than name-calling and trouble-making (we typically start with a warning, and if this childishness continues, we can ban someone for breaking the terms of the code of conduct).

Most the banning around here, though, tends to be for spamming...we were getting hammered by spam-bots for a while there, but now it seems to be fewer and farther between (banning IP addresses in addition to just usernames has helped, I think).

We have actually been quite lucky to have a civil board as compared to what it was like at times over at the old Trib (things did get a little shaky here when the Trib died suddenly and bunch of those names from the past migrated over here, but it all evened out in the end, when those folks decided whether or not they wanted to blend in with the culture or move on to one of the other Steeler boards out there that allow profanity, lewd pictures, etc.).

Disagreements and differences of opinion are understandable (and welcome, for diversity's sake) as long as the people debating make logical arguments to support their position rather than petty personal attacks. Hopefully, the intelligent football discussion can continue here indefinitely without mindless melodrama!

Djfan
11-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I haven't seen many trolls here.

flippy
11-05-2009, 05:09 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1320/537366836_a54cd233ba.jpg

All the trolls went to the drag party....

ikestops85
11-05-2009, 05:27 PM

Believe it or not I have a Steeler one of those that I pull out for every game and sit it on the table beside me when I watch the game. :oops:

flippy
11-05-2009, 05:31 PM

Believe it or not I have a Steeler one of those that I pull out for every game and sit it on the table beside me when I watch the game. :oops:

is it's hair black or gold?

do you call it troy?

SteelAbility
11-05-2009, 05:45 PM
As long as you follow the stated code of conduct, you are welcome here. Guys that aren't Steeler fans but are willing to discuss football in an intelligent manner (like Jom and Hardliner) are not considered to be trolls whatsoever. They are considered to be PlanetSteeler breathren just like everyone else whether they root for the Bengals, Chiefs, or whatever.

We have booted a few people off whose posting style was little more than name-calling and trouble-making (we typically start with a warning, and if this childishness continues, we can ban someone for breaking the terms of the code of conduct).

Most the banning around here, though, tends to be for spamming...we were getting hammered by spam-bots for a while there, but now it seems to be fewer and farther between (banning IP addresses in addition to just usernames has helped, I think).

We have actually been quite lucky to have a civil board as compared to what it was like at times over at the old Trib (things did get a little shaky here when the Trib died suddenly and bunch of those names from the past migrated over here, but it all evened out in the end, when those folks decided whether or not they wanted to blend in with the culture or move on to one of the other Steeler boards out there that allow profanity, lewd pictures, etc.).

Disagreements and differences of opinion are understandable (and welcome, for diversity's sake) as long as the people debating make logical arguments to support their position rather than petty personal attacks. Hopefully, the intelligent football discussion can continue here indefinitely without mindless melodrama!

Thanks. Did kaopectate every try his antics over here? I haven't seen anything from him yet and know that he (or she) was quite the glutton for attention. So, I'm guessing he tried his inflammatory/eye-roll/flame-the-board/never-make-a-convincing-argument gig over here and then got booted. Yes? LMAO!

ikestops85
11-05-2009, 06:27 PM

do you call it troy?

The hair is gold and the outfit is black. I haven't gone so far as to name it yet but now that you mention it Troy would fit. :lol:

NW Steeler
11-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Kaopectate was a complete douchebag. I also miss HHH and Crash....NOT!!!
:loser

anger 82&95
11-05-2009, 07:50 PM

All the trolls went to the drag party....Which one is Jeff Reed?

eniparadoxgma
11-05-2009, 09:01 PM
When did you become a mod, Ruthless?

P.S. :moon

BATMAN
11-05-2009, 09:24 PM

did crash or hhh ever make it to this site ?

we've had steeler fans that were just as bad or worse than trolls at times. trying to dominate the board, insulting for any opinion outside of theirs and then the grammmmmmer police. i see a couple of them on this site.

skyhawk
11-05-2009, 09:44 PM
I haven't seen alot of troll here either.

Certainly not as many as on the old trib site. But I bet it's harder to find this site.

I kinda miss HHH and Crash, where have they gone?. Maybe they hung themselves after the Steelers won the super bowl last year? :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 09:46 PM

did crash or hhh ever make it to this site ?

we've had steeler fans that were just as bad or worse than trolls at times. trying to dominate the board, insulting for any opinion outside of theirs and then the grammmmmmer police. i see a couple of them on this site.

"Grammar" is the correct spelling for "grammmmmmer" and you should start your sentences with capital letters.

:P :moon

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM

I was invited around the time of the Trib's demise when the mods were being somewhat overwhelmed by the influx of undesirable personalities all of the sudden.

P.S. Nice @$$, smiley.

Djfan
11-05-2009, 10:34 PM
I wish someone would go find cockface and invite him back.

AngryAsian
11-06-2009, 12:50 AM
We love the harmony that's been established here. When the Trib died, I was looking forward to seeing valued posters like Flippy, Lonbull and others come over... the ones I really missed after leaving the Trib because of all the counter-productive antics. I'm glad we've kept the good ones and the others decided that this site wasn't for them. Reverberating what Ruthless said, we certainly love diverse opinions, but not at the expense of degraded threads that have nothing but flame-war etched all over them. The brethren on the site are truly intelligent adults of varying opinions and allegiances, which are all welcome. If I had to sum it up the continuity of this board via one word, that word would be respect. My hats off to all who are a part of this cyber-community.

Jooser
11-06-2009, 07:47 AM

do you call it troy?

I have one of those too with gold hair and and a black jersey. It brings good luck, most of the time. :D I bought it in '93.

flippy
11-06-2009, 08:00 AM

do you call it troy?

I have one of those too with gold hair and and a black jersey. It brings good luck, most of the time. :D I bought it in '93.

what did you name yours?

i'm having a superbowl or bust feeling this morning.....

Jooser
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
My dad and I always called him Buddha! LMAO! Believe it or not, rubbing the Buddha's arse always brought on good luck, usually in the form of a turn over! :tt2

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f280/alexaiswhatweaimfor1/asdfjsdfasjdfasd020.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
We love the harmony that's been established here. When the Trib died, I was looking forward to seeing valued posters like Flippy, Lonbull and others come over... the ones I really missed after leaving the Trib because of all the counter-productive antics. I'm glad we've kept the good ones and the others decided that this site wasn't for them. Reverberating what Ruthless said, we certainly love diverse opinions, but not at the expense of degraded threads that have nothing but flame-war etched all over them. The brethren on the site are truly intelligent adults of varying opinions and allegiances, which are all welcome. If I had to sum it up the continuity of this board via one word, that word would be respect. My hats off to all who are a part of this cyber-community.

I've kind of noticed in the week and a half that I've been trolling this board what you just described above. It's actually very refreshing. The discussions seem to be productive and actually go somewhere and/or stimulate thought/perspective.

Djfan
11-06-2009, 10:04 AM
My dad and I always called him Buddha! LMAO! Believe it or not, rubbing the Buddha's arse always brought on good luck, usually in the form of a turn over! :tt2

Thank you for NOT posting pictures.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 10:29 AM

I've kind of noticed in the week and a half that I've been trolling this board what you just described above. It's actually very refreshing. The discussions seem to be productive and actually go somewhere and/or stimulate thought/perspective.

Yeah, whatever...doodiehead! :P

AngryAsian
11-06-2009, 10:46 AM

Noteworthy is that above, I said "intelligent adults." I said nothing about maturity. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM

Noteworthy is that above, I said "intelligent adults." I said nothing about maturity. :lol:

Yeah, we can discuss the intricacies of the collective bargaining agreement, then laugh at fart jokes. It's great! :mrgreen:

AngryAsian
11-06-2009, 10:52 AM

Yeah, we can discuss the intricacies of the collective bargaining agreement, then laugh at fart jokes. It's great! :mrgreen:

Maybe you can... I still didn't get the thorough "Ruthless" synopsis on it. Just send me the cliff notes. :lol:

fezziwig
11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
At the end and even prior, the Trib became a shooting gallery. The mods allowed that site to tank with their lack of or poor values in judgement.
They allowed the trolls to over run the site, talk crap and crap that had no other substance other than to create trouble. A Steeler fan received little to no chance on the site to actually enjoy and use the site for a Steelers fans intended purpose.

Even the flame wars amongst the Steeler fans got so out of hand, it created a circle of chaos.

I've only noticed a few tools that managed to slither their way on to this site. For the most part, this site has had very good posters.

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 12:21 PM

I haven't been called that since I was 7 or 8. I knew this board was refreshing! :lol:

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 12:22 PM

Intelligent and immature is a deadly combination. :twisted:

RockyMountainSteeler
11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Who was that guy over on the Trib board who had a total hard on for Mahan? As soon as he was released/traded all he did was berate anyone who had an opinion that the line could get better as they played more. He made himself out to be some supreme being and that the rest of us were Kool-Aid drinking lemmings. I looked around after the Super Bowl win and could not find him anywhere. Man that guy was a major douche. From some of the other responses from posters it sounded like he was once a decent fan but had just fallen over the edge at some point.

Jooser
11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Prolly HHH. LMAO!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x148/paul3rd_bucket/archie_bunker.jpg

RockyMountainSteeler
11-06-2009, 02:26 PM
Prolly HHH. LMAO!

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x148/paul3rd_bucket/archie_bunker.jpg

No, now that I think about it, it think his name was Rickt something or other.

SteelAbility
11-06-2009, 03:05 PM
I remember Rickt. I think it was actually rickt32 or something like that. The guy loved to complain. I think he perpetually complained about Tomlin too, or was that zayets? Wow, I never thought I'd laugh about those guys some day. It's kind of like when you're having a really bad day and you're thinking to yourself, "You know, one day I'll be laughing about this" as your comfort mechanism. Well here it is! :wink:

eniparadoxgma
11-06-2009, 06:19 PM

I was invited around the time of the Trib's demise when the mods were being somewhat overwhelmed by the influx of undesirable personalities all of the sudden.

P.S. Nice @$$, smiley.

Wow. Guess I just never noticed.

Oh, and thanks. :wink:

:lol:

eniparadoxgma
11-06-2009, 06:22 PM

Have you really been trolling? Trolling = just trying to start flame wars, incite bickering, etc...

:?:

eniparadoxgma
11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Who was that guy over on the Trib board who had a total hard on for Mahan? As soon as he was released/traded all he did was berate anyone who had an opinion that the line could get better as they played more. He made himself out to be some supreme being and that the rest of us were Kool-Aid drinking lemmings. I looked around after the Super Bowl win and could not find him anywhere. Man that guy was a major douche. From some of the other responses from posters it sounded like he was once a decent fan but had just fallen over the edge at some point.

I remember the guy that wanted to date Chukky Okobi...adgi..something or other. :)

Can we get a multi-quote option round these parts?

stlrz d
11-06-2009, 09:27 PM
rickt was booted from here.

He got so bad in his tirades about the O line that his game threads were unbearable.

He would post things like:

1st and ten and Ben drops back to pass. He is sacked due to Kemo's complete incompetence.

2nd and 13. Willie gobbled up for no gain because our entire offensive line sucks.

And on and on and on....

Oh, and if there was a positive play it would be:

1st and ten, Willie, despite having someone on him in the backfield due to our horrendous offensive line, manages a gain of 5.

And on and on and on....

BATMAN
11-06-2009, 09:54 PM

I remember the guy that wanted to date Chukky Okobi...adgi..something or other. :)

Can we get a multi-quote option round these parts?

Ha, it was something like you guessed, agdi and God help you if you said anything wrong about Chuky.

Yes, Mahan was bad but obviosly Chuky showed nothing or even less that he couldn't beat out a horrible Mahan. He was ticked that Mahan was retained over Chuky and I was ticked that Chuky was retained over, (ouch, just lost his name ) the center from Robert Morris and then went on to the Eagles and I believe now, the Browns. Hank Fraley, just remembered.

I think the other guys name was Rick11. I thought Rick was an okay dude and agdi too at the time but wow, don't go against their opinion because you will have to do a lot of reading to get through their rant threads.

AngryAsian
11-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Both are part of the dearly departed... olive branches were offered by the mods to keep the peace in their threads, but after replies that basically read "shove it".... they were shown the door.

grotonsteel
11-07-2009, 02:01 PM

Thanks. Did kaopectate every try his antics over here? I haven't seen anything from him yet and know that he (or she) was quite the glutton for attention. So, I'm guessing he tried his inflammatory/eye-roll/flame-the-board/never-make-a-convincing-argument gig over here and then got booted. Yes? LMAO!

Kaepectate was on SteelerNation site. He was Tom Brady/Bellicheat lover i think. Majority of the trolls from trib went to that site.

SteelAbility
11-07-2009, 04:17 PM

Have you really been trolling? Trolling = just trying to start flame wars, incite bickering, etc...

:?:

Yeah that was tongue-in-cheek since I started a post about Trolls. I did a poor job of making that clear. :oops:

SteelAbility
11-07-2009, 04:21 PM
rickt was booted from here.

He got so bad in his tirades about the O line that his game threads were unbearable.

He would post things like:

1st and ten and Ben drops back to pass. He is sacked due to Kemo's complete incompetence.

2nd and 13. Willie gobbled up for no gain because our entire offensive line sucks.

And on and on and on....

Oh, and if there was a positive play it would be:

1st and ten, Willie, despite having someone on him in the backfield due to our horrendous offensive line, manages a gain of 5.

And on and on and on....

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, now I remember rickt's big thing was our OL who couldn't block his granny (or something along those lines). He was one of those guys who would put up a rant thread after winning the SB that we just didn't do it in dominant fashion, yatta yatta.

SteelAbility
11-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I think it was Adgci. Yeah he was an ok dude. It's just that if you differed he would post up a dissertation on why you were wrong. See. It IS actually funny in retrospect.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mel Blount's G
11-07-2009, 05:55 PM
rickt was alright. He used to host gameday threads pretty well. What happened was he went over the top though after the '08 draft when we didn't get any o-lineman except for Tony Hills. I mean it literally seemed to drive him mad and from thereafter nearly all of his posts were slamming us in ome fashion because we failed to "address our oline problems". The guy seemed to take it personally. Many of us, at the time, agreed that we might have dropped the ball regarding some obvious weaknesses on the o-line but rickt seemed to have lost the ability and desire to enjoy our Steeler team and games because of it. I kinda of guessed that maybe he had some real crappy stuff happening in his personal life and somehow transferred his personal frustrations into anti-passion for his team and their failure to do what he thought they needed to. Didn't he lose a family member, maybe a son, to cancer or something? I kinda of hated to see a guy who seemed to be a dedicated Steeler fan go off the deep end because we didn't draft or sign offensive linemen. Many of were a little concerned but chose to look at the positive aspects of the draft and put our faith into those more in the know than us - Steeler coaches and FO. Rick just could not do that for whatever reason and his incessant ragging on our team got carried away and agitated people.

HHH was here from time to time in the past. I don't think he got banned he probably just goes to boards where he can generate more bogus conflict. Members here seem smart enough to generally ignore attention-seekers, whereby they don't get desired attention and usually drift away on their own.

Crash has been here. He seemed to have some on-going flame wars with another poster or two that may or may not have followed him to other boards from the trib board. Again, there might not have been enough drama for him here to stick around. Always intrigued me how people seem to get caught up emotionally on internet discussion boards whereas, for me, real life has more than enough of it so I don't need to go finding it in the cyber-world. Occasionally if I found myself feeling stress from things getting personal on discussion boards, I'd either just quietly leave for good or take a break and remember why I even do this (FUN FUN AND MORE FUN!!)

I occasionally check out the stiilernation board and it seems the opposite of here: They tolerate and possibly encourage all forms of deliquency it seems to me; From flame wars to quasi-porn to racism to all points in between. Everything goes it seems. Could be they really hated the censorship of the trib and wanted to have a board with zero censorship? I could be wrong though as I don't go there that often. PlanetSteelers seems to fill my Steeler discussion and/or bullsh!tting needs :tt1 :Beer Thanks to the mods and members here who make this a fun and interesting place to talk Steelers and Football.

PS: I think this site looks the coolest w/ the black n gold design and asiansteel's custom signature graphics. Could job people!

Steeler Shades
11-09-2009, 06:13 PM
HHH was here from time to time in the past. I don't think he got banned he probably just goes to boards where he can generate more bogus conflict.
HHH: He posts quite frequently on the Stiilernation board. I'm sure that I'm in the minority but I thought his posts were hilarious and just enjoyed them more than I ever got angry.

agdc: IMHO actually had a lot of football expertise / insight. He unfortunately did have a meltdown on this site and despite some attempts to calm him down eventually went too far. If anybody knows where he is currently posting, I'd sure like to know.

rickt: All I can say is that whatever happened to him I hope he is currently OK. I believe (and I may be mistaken) that he had a son in Iraq. 8)