PDA

View Full Version : Orton expects Broncos to rebound against Steelers

SteelCrazy
11-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Quarterback Kyle Orton expects the Broncos offense to bounce back nicely from last week's disappointing performance at Baltimore. He said the platform to do so — hosting the defending Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers on "Monday Night Football" — is a perfect scenario.

"Guys like to play on primetime," Orton said during his weekly news conference today. "There is extra emotion on Monday night games. We'll be excited and we'll be ready to go."

Orton said Denver's primary objective is to execute while playing its most physical game of the season.

"We're going to have to play physical. We're going to have to play smart. We're going to have to play our best game," Orton said. "We feel like we got a physical football team and certainly Pittsburgh prides (itself) on that too. So it will be a hard-hitting game and whoever can win that battle will have a good chance to win."
He added: "Huge priority on practices this week, making sure we have three or four great practices and be on top of things and ready to go on Monday."

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13711973

BATMAN
11-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I think every team uses the Super Bowl champs as a measuring stick and they all get up or do extra for the game.
We used to or still do own some pretty good Monday night stats for winning. I hope it holds true this Monday.

sd steel
11-04-2009, 11:23 PM
It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

SteelCrazy
11-04-2009, 11:56 PM
It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

Unless you are Big Ben.........

sd steel
11-05-2009, 12:41 AM

Sorry, but even Ben. If he would get rid of the ball he'd never get hit, and he rarely gets hit hard when he does. Screw the slide, QB's should be football players. That is one thing I don't like about football today, if you are a QB you don't get touched in practice at any level, if you are a QB it's ok to run out of bounds. If you are a QB you can point at your knee and draw a penalty. It's sissified! If you want to make the cash you should have to take the hit in my opinion. If you get hurt there are other guys waiting to take your place. Why protect them? Create new stars and make more money on new Jersey sales, NFL. Everything these days is sold as EXTREME, no holds barred, triple flips on the motorcycle, MMA replacing boxing etc, yet the Major sports like NFL and NHL which were known for hard hitting and extreme physical contact have basically reverted to powder puff rules, yet they were the ones that introduced the TV viewing audience to the hardest hitting action of all time. A the old saying goes, "you should dance with the girl that brung ya".

SteelCrazy
11-05-2009, 01:17 AM
[quote="sd steel":2e0a3l5n]It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

Sorry, but even Ben. If he would get rid of the ball he'd never get hit, and he rarely gets hit hard when he does. Screw the slide, QB's should be football players. That is one thing I don't like about football today, if you are a QB you don't get touched in practice at any level, if you are a QB it's ok to run out of bounds. If you are a QB you can point at your knee and draw a penalty. It's sissified! If you want to make the cash you should have to take the hit in my opinion. If you get hurt there are other guys waiting to take your place. Why protect them? Create new stars and make more money on new Jersey sales, NFL. Everything these days is sold as EXTREME, no holds barred, triple flips on the motorcycle, MMA replacing boxing etc, yet the Major sports like NFL and NHL which were known for hard hitting and extreme physical contact have basically reverted to powder puff rules, yet they were the ones that introduced the TV viewing audience to the hardest hitting action of all time. A the old saying goes, "you should dance with the girl that brung ya".[/quote:2e0a3l5n]

I agree with that assessment of the QB pos. It has been reduced to the equivalent of baseball's DH. It's just not what football is about, but I still love the game.

Jom112
11-05-2009, 01:24 AM

You saw that hit that Jarret Johnson put on Kyle Orton? You gotta be physical to get up from that and keep playing...

sd steel
11-05-2009, 02:26 AM

You saw that hit that Jarret Johnson put on Kyle Orton? You gotta be physical to get up from that and keep playing...

He took a great hit and got up...cheers to him, but maybe his head should have been on a swivel and saw it coming. Football players are taught to know their surroundings and to keep their head on a swivel, Kyle didn't see a guy coming right in his face...he deserved the hit, and took it like a player. Props to him!

fezziwig
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM
[quote="sd steel":2lgy0y8q]It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

He took a great hit and got up...cheers to him, but maybe his head should have been on a swivel and saw it coming. Football players are taught to know their surroundings and to keep their head on a swivel, Kyle didn't see a guy coming right in his face...he deserved the hit, and took it like a player. Props to him![/quote:2lgy0y8q]

In Kyles defense, I'm sure he thought someone on his line would have at least touched the guy enroute to him. Kyle hardly had time to turn his head and that dude was on him.

Djfan
11-05-2009, 10:53 AM
My guess is that he will have to rebound from hits and sacks about 25 times on Monday. That is some impressive rebounding!

Jom112
11-05-2009, 11:48 AM
[quote="sd steel":2xzvu41a]It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

He took a great hit and got up...cheers to him, but maybe his head should have been on a swivel and saw it coming. Football players are taught to know their surroundings and to keep their head on a swivel, Kyle didn't see a guy coming right in his face...he deserved the hit, and took it like a player. Props to him!

In Kyles defense, I'm sure he thought someone on his line would have at least touched the guy enroute to him. Kyle hardly had time to turn his head and that dude was on him.[/quote:2xzvu41a]

It reminded me of that hit that Bart Scott put on Ben a couple of years ago. He came in clean and got a viscous shot in.

I think I remember Ben saying it was the hardest hit he ever took. Gotta give props to QB's for continuing to play after hits like that...

BDESteel
11-05-2009, 12:49 PM
[quote="sd steel":1py99vsc]It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

In Kyles defense, I'm sure he thought someone on his line would have at least touched the guy enroute to him. Kyle hardly had time to turn his head and that dude was on him.

It reminded me of that hit that Bart Scott put on Ben a couple of years ago. He came in clean and got a viscous shot in.

I think I remember Ben saying it was the hardest hit he ever took. Gotta give props to QB's for continuing to play after hits like that...[/quote:1py99vsc]
Why you gotta bring up old sht! :P I don't remember that hit but I do remember Ben getting cracked ribs after getting hit after the whistle.

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM

I think I remember Ben saying it was the hardest hit he ever took. Gotta give props to QB's for continuing to play after hits like that...
Why you gotta bring up old sht! :P I don't remember that hit but I do remember Ben getting cracked ribs after getting hit after the whistle.

I remember it. It wasn't pretty.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/48808/Bart_Scott_Hits_Ben.jpg

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2009, 01:09 PM
[quote="sd steel":3fmxz6at]It's ridiculous listening to a QB talking about how physical the game will be and how physical his team is gonna play. You're an effin QB wearing a skirt, you shouldn't be talking about the physical aspects of the game.

I think I remember Ben saying it was the hardest hit he ever took. Gotta give props to QB's for continuing to play after hits like that...[/quote:3fmxz6at]
Ben did indeed say that. I remember that the hit came about 2 seconds after Ben threw the ball and although I don't think Bart could have stopped completely from hitting him, I'm damn sure he could have let up instead of followinf all the way through with the hit including driving Ben into the ground as hard as he could which was the part of the hit that hurt Ben's ribs. They talk about protecting the qb, and they make some ridiculous ticky-tack calls whereby a defender grazes over the helmet of a qb with his hand, and then they call nothing on a play where a defender could have pulled up somewhat after a qb has released the ball but they instead drive him into the turf full force.

EDIT! The hit I was talking about here was a hit Suggs put on Ben, not the Fart Snott hit methinks...? I believe Ben threw a td on the play?

ikestops85
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I remember Ben talking about the Bart Scott hit saying the the chrysler didn't hit him as hard as Scott did. :shock: Of course the chrysler didn't hit him ... he hit the chrysler but it was a good line. :D

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
And this big, tough, hard hitting linebacker is the guy who whined 'cause he got legally "blocked" ( :P ) by a WR :roll: - the skirt-wearing qb didn't cry when you hit him as hard as you possibly could (and, judging by that picture, it looks like you lead with your helmet which would make it illegal) yet you whined like a female dog and put a bounty out when a little, 'ol WR blocked you legally - grow a pair wuss.

BATMAN
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G"]And this big, tough, hard hitting linebacker is the guy who whined 'cause he got legally "blocked" ( :P ) by a WR :roll: - the skirt-wearing qb didn't cry when you hit him as hard as you possibly could (and, judging by that picture, it looks like you lead with your helmet which would make it illegal) yet you whined like a female dog and put a bounty out when a little, 'ol WR blocked you legally - grow a pair wuss.[/quote

What Bart Scott did on that play was dirty in my opinion because he could have eased off on the hit instead of following through.

Hines is tough player and they are confusing that with dirty. Another dirty player or hit on Ben was a couple of years ago (i think) when a guy put a late hit on Bens knee. I think that guy was a Bronco.