PDA

View Full Version : Ward & Holmes: Rare air

fordfixer
11-04-2009, 02:05 AM
Ward & Holmes: Rare air

By: Mike Bires
Beaver County Times

Tuesday November 3, 2009 12:10 AM
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... e-air.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/november/03/ward-holmes-rare-air.html)

PITTSBURGH — For as long as he’s been with the Steelers, Santonio Holmes has been soaking in whatever advice Hines Ward gives him — even when it comes to sleeping in a strange contraption.

Ward, the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver, is an advocate of hyperbaric therapy. That’s why he owns and regularly uses a hyperbaric chamber.

“I call it my fountain of youth,” said Ward, a 33-year-old veteran who’s in his 12th pro season.

Holmes is only 25, but he, too, owns a portable chamber.

“It’s the same exact one Hines has,” Holmes said.

Hyperbaric therapy is the medical use of oxygen at a higher level than normal atmospheric pressure. Advocates claim that it enhances athletic performance, speeds up recovery time from injuries, relieves fatigue, and, even as Ward suggested, has anti-aging benefits.

While the use of hyperbaric chambers isn’t widespread, a number of famous athletes past and present have owned or do own one now. They include former Penguins star and owner Mario Lemieux, current Philadelphia Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins and former heavyweight boxing champ Evander Holyfield.

NFL players such as New Orleans Saints safety Darren Sharper, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Terrell Owens and Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook are also believers in hyperbaric therapy.
Advertisement Beaver Valley Federal Credit Union

“They’re very expensive, but my body is my investment,” Ward said. “It’s a well-worth-it investment.”

A portable hyperbaric chamber — a tube-shaped device that’s roughly 93 inches long, 32 inches wide and 22 inches in diameter — can cost between $10,000 and $20,000.

“Just to help heal up the body throughout the year,” Holmes said when asked why he believes in hyperbaric therapy. “The massages can’t take care of everything … the ice and stim (electronic stimulation) can’t take care of everything … so I figure the extra oxygen can help heal the bruised areas a lot faster.”

“Santonio, he’s young. But at an early age, I really tried to stress to him to take care of his body,” Ward said. “When you get those little bruises and nicks during the season, take care of them … so he purchased one.”

With the Steelers playing their next game in Denver, Ward and Holmes are also using their hyperbaric chambers to help them get used to the rarified Rocky Mountain air.

“I’ll be in it every day this week,” Ward said.

“I’ll definitely spend the rest of this week sleeping in it and spending a little time in it,” added Holmes.

steelblood
11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
how do the chambers help them get ready for the air in denver?

extra oxygen in chamber, less than normal in denver. I don't get it.

flippy
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Wonder if Ward can get some hyperbaric pads?

ikestops85
11-04-2009, 11:50 AM
how do the chambers help them get ready for the air in denver?

extra oxygen in chamber, less than normal in denver. I don't get it.

I'm by no means an expert but I think the chamber allows you to control the amount of oxygen that goes into the chamber. To prepare for Denver they just reduce the oxygen level.

and yes, I spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express. :D

SteelCrazy
11-04-2009, 12:16 PM
Couldn't they just get an oxygen tank and mask, then fall asleep wearing the mask?

Yes, I spent the night in an Econo Lodge last night.......