PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Wydo speaks with Ben Roethlisberger

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=8172

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Yes, I heard this when I went to postgame heroes and posted the Starks vid.

Nice interview! Though, I wasn't entirely happy with Ben's apparent dissing of the need for him to spend lots of time watching film. His response was something along the lines of "... well that's alright for Peyton Manning, but I learn more by being on the field".

Hopefully he grows out of that. Maybe he needs a better offensive coordinator to teach him how to break down film more effectively? :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 08:35 PM
Arians was Peyton's QB coach for his first 3 years in the league.

stlrz d
11-03-2009, 09:38 PM

Nice interview! Though, I wasn't entirely happy with Ben's apparent dissing of the need for him to spend lots of time watching film. His response was something along the lines of "... well that's alright for Peyton Manning, but I learn more by being on the field".

Hopefully he grows out of that. Maybe he needs a better offensive coordinator to teach him how to break down film more effectively? :stirpot

No dissing. He just said he learns better by doing. Lots of people are wired that way.

On another note, holy accent wydo man! Wow!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2009, 09:45 PM

THAT explains it, THAT'S why PM's numbers sucked so much his first three years!! Especially compared to Ben's!!!

Year....... Yards/Attempt ....... Passer Rating
................. PM..... Ben .......... PM..... Ben
1............... 6.5..... 8.9 ........... 71.2... 98.1
2............... 7.8 . ... 8.9 .......... 90.7 .. 98.6
3............... 7.7 ..... 12.0 !! ...... 94.7 . 104.1 !!

(To compare apples to apples, Ben's 3rd year is 2007 here, obviously not including stats from the 2006 season, the year of his motorcycle accident and his emergency appy).

:stirpot :lol:

grotonsteel
11-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice interview.

Interesting point about YPA. Never thought YPA was the most important stat in NFL.

birtikidis
11-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm surprised wydo's lips weren't wrapped around ben's junk the entire time. i mean, how could he even speak?

birtikidis
11-03-2009, 11:36 PM
wow, dutch wouldn't even let ben speak at times. holy crap.

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2009, 12:54 AM
Nice interview.

Interesting point about YPA. Never thought YPA was the most important stat in NFL.

I was surprised ol' MSM held off so long before mentioning YPA as the uber-stat. You knew it was coming. Wait for it...wait...for...it... :lol:

fordfixer
11-04-2009, 12:57 AM
Ruthless thank for following Dutch so closely :wink:

flippy
11-04-2009, 08:13 AM

I bet Ben puts in more film study than Manning.

But saying he does would only make him sound like a big nerd.

I'd rather have a closet nerd leading my team.

I thought it was kinda funny that he says Peyton studies cause he has to.

Ben's a natural.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Great interview. My favorite part of Ben's attitude is that he just wants to win games and championships.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 08:55 AM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/l ... career.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_career.htm)

Uh oh! Looks like Tony Romo is better than Ben. :wft

Jom112
11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Nice interview.

I was surprised ol' MSM held off so long before mentioning YPA as the uber-stat. You knew it was coming. Wait for it...wait...for...it... :lol:

I had a talk with MSM during last season when Ben was ranked 17th in the league in YPA. Needless to say he wasn't too happy with me after that convo...

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_yds_per_att_career.htm

Don't forget Daunte Culpepper is tied for the 18th best QB in NFL History... :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2009, 10:51 AM

And Matt Schaub is on the same level with Johnny Unitas and Bart Starr. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I had a talk with MSM during last season when Ben was ranked 17th in the league in YPA. Needless to say he wasn't too happy with me after that convo...

Then I guess Peter King was correct in ranking Ben 17th a couple of years ago in the article MSM brought up in the interview. :wink:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/06/17/qbs/index.html

Jom112
11-04-2009, 11:00 AM

Then I guess Peter King was correct in ranking Ben 17th a couple of years ago in the article MSM brought up in the interview. :wink:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/06/17/qbs/index.html

If it wasn't for Jason Whitlock, Peter King would be the most idiotic and useless writer covering the NFL...

ikestops85
11-04-2009, 11:44 AM

THAT explains it, THAT'S why PM's numbers sucked so much his first three years!! Especially compared to Ben's!!!

Year....... Yards/Attempt ....... Passer Rating
................. PM..... Ben .......... PM..... Ben
1............... 6.5..... 8.9 ........... 71.2... 98.1
2............... 7.8 . ... 8.9 .......... 90.7 .. 98.6
3............... 7.7 ..... 12.0 !! ...... 94.7 . 104.1 !!

(To compare apples to apples, Ben's 3rd year is 2007 here, obviously not including stats from the 2006 season, the year of his motorcycle accident and his emergency appy).

:stirpot :lol:

I wish Ben had a 12.0 ypa in 2007. I think that would crush any existing record but he was at 7.8 which is still very good. Maybe the 12.0 was in yards per completion but it wasn't in yards per attempt.

I know we make fun of MSM and his attraction to the stats but he is correct about the correlation between ypa and winning. The higher a QB's ypa is the higher his winning percentage will be.

flippy
11-04-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't forget Daunte Culpepper is tied for the 18th best QB in NFL History... :lol:

It's the Randy Moss effect which has also helped Brady considerably.

steelblood
11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
The most amazing thing to me is that Ben has such a high YPA average while not being a particularly good deep ball thrower. It is impressive.

Chachi
11-04-2009, 12:19 PM
What? no mention of his 3 perfect rating games? Most ever? (tied with Peyton)

2 in one season, never been done.

God, this Dutch fellow really needs to do his homework.

flippy
11-04-2009, 12:22 PM
The most amazing thing to me is that Ben has such a high YPA average while not being a particularly good deep ball thrower. It is impressive.

He's really good on his 20-45 yard throws. He's got a strong/accurate arm.

But on 45yards+ where there's more timing involved, his deep passes aren't always perfect.

He's more of a throw to a spot than an anticipation thrower if that even makes sense.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 01:03 PM

I think the deal is that YPA does not necessarily tell you who is better. It tells you who is PROBABLY better. The bigger the difference, the higher the probability. There are exceptions though. Case in point, Big Ben vs. Tony Romo where the numbers indicate a slight edge to Romo, but we all know Ben is better.

flippy
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM

I think the deal is that YPA does not necessarily tell you who is better. It tells you who is PROBABLY better. The bigger the difference, the higher the probability. There are exceptions though. Case in point, Big Ben vs. Tony Romo where the numbers indicate a slight edge to Romo, but we all know Ben is better.

Ben's clutch. Romo's a great QB but has tanked under pressure thus far in his career.

YPA also doesn't really capture turnovers which also play a big role in who wins/loses.

ikestops85
11-04-2009, 03:08 PM

Ben's clutch. Romo's a great QB but has tanked under pressure thus far in his career.

YPA also doesn't really capture turnovers which also play a big role in who wins/loses.

We also have to remember that Ben wasn't always clutch. His rookie year he let the pressure get to him in the playoffs having bad games against both the Jets and *'s. The next year he overcame that but did not play well in the SB. Since then though, yeh, you have to say the guy is clutch.

While no one stat can determine a team's success the ypa seems to come the closest. Just remember that stat is not just about the QB. If your team is always way behind then your QB is throwing a lot but the defense is preventing the big play so you get a lot of dump offs for little yardage. You also rarely win. The same goes for when your team has a good running game. This opens up the big play because the defense has 8 in the box which will increase your ypa.

It's no coincidence that Ben's ypa has lessened as our running game has gotten worse over the last few years. The same is true for pass protection. Obviously if you don't have time to throw the ball you don't make big plays as often. It's also no coincidence that Ben's ypa has gone up again this year because of the better line play and running game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is although the QB certainly plays a big part in the ypa I view it more as a team stat. While Romo and the Cowboys ypa is a bit of an anomoly I still think ypa is one of the good indicators to judge the quality of your team.

Flasteel
11-04-2009, 03:19 PM
Not bad Wydo...not bad.

I'm still shocked that he was even able to get Roethlisberger on his show. Not just because of the 500 watt signal which can't escape Uniontown, but because his show is all about gambling.

I'm just glad he's been banned from here or we'd never hear the end of this. Any props for the interview does not mitigate the fact that Douche Weirdo is one of the most arrogant, whiney losers to ever darken our collective doorsteps.

birtikidis
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
I wasn't all that impressed by the interview. I don't think he has very good interviewing skills. but, you have to give him props. he got ben to call his mom's house for an interview...

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 03:47 PM
We also have to remember that Ben wasn't always clutch. His rookie year he let the pressure get to him in the playoffs having bad games against both the Jets and *'s. The next year he overcame that but did not play well in the SB. Since then though, yeh, you have to say the guy is clutch.

While no one stat can determine a team's success the ypa seems to come the closest. Just remember that stat is not just about the QB. If your team is always way behind then your QB is throwing a lot but the defense is preventing the big play so you get a lot of dump offs for little yardage. You also rarely win. The same goes for when your team has a good running game. This opens up the big play because the defense has 8 in the box which will increase your ypa.

It's no coincidence that Ben's ypa has lessened as our running game has gotten worse over the last few years. The same is true for pass protection. Obviously if you don't have time to throw the ball you don't make big plays as often. It's also no coincidence that Ben's ypa has gone up again this year because of the better line play and running game.

I guess what I'm trying to say is although the QB certainly plays a big part in the ypa I view it more as a team stat. While Romo and the Cowboys ypa is a bit of an anomoly I still think ypa is one of the good indicators to judge the quality of your team.

Short-run versus Long-run. In the short-run, YPA can be very deceiving. But in the long run YPA is a very telling statistic on both the team level and individual level. The reason is twofold. Large number statistics are necessary to get an accurate picture. YPA takes into account the downside (incompletions, passes for loss, short-gainers). Obviously INTs and sacks are left out. But in broad strokes YPA does tell the story.

SteelTorch
11-04-2009, 03:48 PM

While no one stat can determine a team's success the ypa seems to come the closest. Just remember that stat is not just about the QB. If your team is always way behind then your QB throwing a lot but the defense is preventing the big play so you get a lot of dump offs for little yardage. You also rarely win. The same goes for when your team has a good running game. This opens up the big play because the defense has 8 in the box which will increase your ypa.

YPA is a great indicator of QB and team success. The problem is Douche Wydo acts like it's the ONLY stat out there. There are others to factor in, such as rating, completion%, TD/INT, etc. Going by Wydo's philosophy, Aaron Rogers is just as good as Ben Roethlisberger because his YPA is the same.

That's why when you judge a QB, you do it by the whole package - stats, wins, championships, leadership, etc. :wink:

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Having some time on my hands, I did a little mini study. I took 35 games from this season and correlated the winner with ...

1. YPA (27/35 with higher YPA won games)
2. YPC (19/35 with higher YPC won games)

flippy
11-04-2009, 04:54 PM
I bet the 8 times that the lesser YPA won it usually had to do with turnovers.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 07:55 PM
I bet the 8 times that the lesser YPA won it usually had to do with turnovers.

Two of those eight were the Steelers ...

Ben 6.3 vs. Cutler 6.2 (I seem to remember 2 missed FGs by Reed and a pile of dropped passes; 2 TOs by us none by the Bears; JH forced a fumble on the final Bears' drive but it bounced right to a nearby Bear player)

Ben 8.9 vs. Palmer 4.9 (Uggggghhhh, still can't believe it; 1 TO by us for the Pick-6, none by the Bengals)

Of course, this means that Ben has beat every QB so far in YPA.

SteelCrazy
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM
You guys miss smartmonies, admit it.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 07:59 PM

While no one stat can determine a team's success the ypa seems to come the closest. Just remember that stat is not just about the QB. If your team is always way behind then your QB throwing a lot but the defense is preventing the big play so you get a lot of dump offs for little yardage. You also rarely win. The same goes for when your team has a good running game. This opens up the big play because the defense has 8 in the box which will increase your ypa.

YPA is a great indicator of QB and team success. The problem is Douche Wydo acts like it's the ONLY stat out there. There are others to factor in, such as rating, completion%, TD/INT, etc. Going by Wydo's philosophy, Aaron Rogers is just as good as Ben Roethlisberger because his YPA is the same.

That's why when you judge a QB, you do it by the whole package - stats, wins, championships, leadership, etc. :wink:

You are correct. The thing is that "single biggest factor" doesn't mean that it gives you the majority of the story. For example there could be 6 factors, one of which contributing 36% with the rest contributing each less than 36% but collectively well above 36%.

SteelAbility
11-04-2009, 08:06 PM

I remember him from the Trib board. A lot of people didn't like him, but I thought he had a lot of good insights. It was as if people couldn't get past the perceived arrogance and on to real football points. He was also a Ben homer. But so am I, so that never rubbed me the wrong way. I thought he had much good to say personally.

SteelCrazy
11-04-2009, 09:02 PM

I remember him from the Trib board. A lot of people didn't like him, but I thought he had a lot of good insights. It was as if people couldn't get past the perceived arrogance and on to real football points. He was also a Ben homer. But so am I, so that never rubbed me the wrong way. I thought he had much good to say personally.

Well, he did a good job interviewing Ben, except for the interruptions.