PDA

View Full Version : SI poll: Ward voted NFL's dirtiest

PSU_dropout43
11-03-2009, 04:56 PM
via ProFootballTalk.com

by Michael David Smith

A Sports Illustrated poll of NFL players has found that Hines Ward is considered by his colleagues to be the dirtiest player in the league, with Albert Haynesworth and Joey Porter tied for second.

The question, "Who is the dirtiest player in the league?'' was asked of 296 players during training camp this summer, and Ward, the Steelers' wide receiver, got 11.6 percent of the vote, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Haynesworth, the Redskins defensive tackle who as a Tennessee Titan in 2006 received a five-game suspension for stepping on the helmetless head of Cowboys center Andre Gurode, got 6 percent of the vote. Porter, the Dolphins' linebacker, also got 6 percent.

Rounding out the Top 5 (or should it be Bottom 5?) are Bengals safety Roy Williams, who got 5.1 percent of the vote, and Titans center Kevin Mawae, with 4.6% percent.

Djfan
11-03-2009, 04:59 PM
WWAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

ikestops85
11-03-2009, 05:35 PM
Isn't this fairly old. I swear I had already read this before.

... and to the complainers about Ward.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/1-14-05/bigbaby2.jpg

stlrz d
11-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Guys who don't like getting their ass kicked by someone will vote them dirty in an anonymous poll.

grotonsteel
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
A WR is voted as the most dirtiest player...you got be kiddin me.. :roll:

Smack them Hines... You rock the Line Backers and Ed Reed.

NorCal-Steeler
11-03-2009, 10:48 PM
must have been a ravens and bungholes training camp to single out 2 steelers. Possibly the browns as well after Porter got in pre game fight several years ago. Disapointed Clark has not made this list yet he works so hard at it. :tt1

Starlifter
11-03-2009, 10:49 PM
how much you want to bet that 95% of the 11.6% that chose HW are defensive players. cause you know, only the defense is allowed to bring the smackdown. HW doesn't stomp on peoples heads or give cheap shots - he just brings the wood every play. if he was a safety and hit like that, he'd be universally admired.

Mel Blount's G
11-03-2009, 11:14 PM
Greatest Steeler WR of all-time. Congrats and keep up the good work Hines!!

Steelgal
11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
I bet if you had followed that question up with "Would you want him on your team?", they would have all said YES!!!!

Uncle Rico
11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm sure that Hines cracked a big smile when he heard the news.

stlrz d
11-04-2009, 09:30 AM
A WR is voted as the most dirtiest player...you got be kiddin me.. :roll:

Smack them Hines... You rock the Line Backers and Ed Reed.

That says it all. How soft are these guys to be voting for a WR as dirtiest player?

What a bunch of pansies. Like I said, they don't like getting their asses kicked by him so this is how they get "even" with him. :roll:

papillon
11-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Rock on HInes, a wide receiver voted the dirtiest player in the league, that tells me that the rest of league must be a bunch of pu$$ies. That's beautiful and music to my ears, that's nothing more than linebackers and safeties not liking the fact that Ward will block their a$$es!

:brownssuck :ratsuck :bungalssuck and to the players that voted for Hines :Binky

:tt2 :tt2

Pappy

JTP53609
11-04-2009, 10:32 AM
well hines would still be down 2 becaue ray ray would win NFL's biggest murderer, fake, drama queen...

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I bet if you had followed that question up with "Would you want him on your team?", they would have all said YES!!!!

(because if Hines was on their team, that would mean he wouldn't be hitting their pansy @$$e$ any more) :wink:

Jom112
11-04-2009, 11:03 AM

I would take every player on that list: Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Albert Haynesworth, Roy Williams and Kevin Mawae...

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2009, 11:36 AM

I would take every player on that list: Hines Ward, Joey Porter, Albert Haynesworth, Roy Williams and Kevin Mawae...

Well, you already have horse-collar boy. He's the only one on that list that I think sucks (and it has nothing to do with him being a Bengal...I thought he had the biggest Pro Bowl scam going back when he was in Dallas and the current Dallas Roy Williams was still in Detroit).

BDESteel
11-04-2009, 11:40 AM
Let's not forget Haynesworth first kicked the helmet off the other player before stomping on his head. That move alone should automatically default him as the dirtiest.

Jom112
11-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Well, you already have horse-collar boy. He's the only one on that list that I think sucks (and it has nothing to do with him being a Bengal...I thought he had the biggest Pro Bowl scam going back when he was in Dallas and the current Dallas Roy Williams was still in Detroit).

Roy Williams played well under Zimmer in Dallas. It was the last couple of seasons in Dallas under other defensive coordinators when he was struggling.

When he came to Cincy, Zimmer told him to drop the extra weight he put on and that has helped him regain some of his speed. He's been playing well for us until the forearm injury...

plainnasty
11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I work with some idiots from Baltimore and they always run their mouths about how Ward is dirty. I told them to show me one play where Ward did something dirty, just one, search youtube or where ever. We looked at a lot of hard hits by Ward but nothing really dirty. One time he hit someone away from the play and one time he stood over a player that he just knocked out. The Baltimorons were forced to admit that they were once again wrong.

You don't hear about him gauging players eyes or hitting players low in their knees. It's all from reputation.

Mel Blount's G
11-04-2009, 03:00 PM
And don't forget: Ward frequently takes his share of vicious shots. But he gets up with that sh!t-eating grin and scrapes himself up off the field. You do not find him complaining about guys taking cheap runs at him. I know that really p!sses off defenders too - that they can't knock Hines out for any length of time yet he puts them out with bone crunching, yet legal, blocks.

Hines is one of a kind. He is easily the TOUGHEST receiver to ever play the game when you consider the hits he gives out and the hits he takes and his apparent PASSION for the CONTACT aspect of the game. If there is a stereotype, or ideal, Pittsburgh Steeler, Hines could be IT. As a subtle and oft overlooked added benefit, in addition to his physical agressiveness, he has a top-notch WR skill set as usually evidenced by his yearly stats, occasional pro bowl, sb mvp, etc...

takagi
11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Troy in 9th place??? Ahead of Jared Allen and Ray Ray?? :wft :wft :wft :wft

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multim ... ent.9.html (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0911/nfl.players.poll.dirtiest.player/content.9.html)

That's a joke right?!

aggiebones
11-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Its really weird to vote him dirtiest. IMO, that means the defenses can't 'break' him. He's still out there flying around making sheet happen, all the while Defenses are trying to kill him. lol
To me, it just shows that those that voted for him have lost the battle with him. He's is a true winner. He wins battles and wars. And by God, if I was starting a team, I'd pick that small, slow WR over ANY other out there.
Granted with pick 2, I'd like to have Moss, AJ or someone similar. :0)

Djfan
11-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Today I heard Deebo commenting on this "award". He said that it must be a bunch of defenders who can't take a crack-back block or something. That is funny!

Jooser
11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Per PFT, Ward reflects on his being voted the NFL's dirtiest player:

Hines Ward reflects on "dirtiest player" label
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 5, 2009 9:22 AM ET
When told that he came in first place in a Sports Illustrated poll asking NFL players to name the dirtiest player in the league, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward said he was surprised to learn he came in ahead of his former teammate, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter, who came in tied for second.

"I beat Joey? Wow," Ward said, per the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "How can I be the dirtiest player on the field -- a little, old wideout with no speed? I don't know whether to be happy or mad about it."

This week's Sports Illustrated, which features the results of the survey of 296 NFL players, notes that Ward broke the jaw of Bengals linebacker Keith Rivers with a blind-side block, and quotes Rivers' teammate Chinedum Ndukwe as saying, "He's a blind-side guy." But Ward said he has no intention of doing anything differently than he's always done.

"I'm not going to change the way I play," Ward said. "If people think I'm dirty, I apologize to them now."

Ward said he was surprised to learn that Steelers safety Troy Polamalu was on the list of dirtiest players, coming in ninth. The Steelers were one of two teams to have two players on the list of the 10 dirtiest players; Titans center Kevin Mawae and cornerback Cortland Finnegan were both on the list.

I gotta find that little vid of Hines flat running over Reed. That's not dirty, that's kick your ass football!

SteelBucks
11-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Just noticed that Polamalu is also on the list. :wft

Player Team Pos. Pct.
Hines Ward Steelers WR 11.6
Albert Haynesworth Redskins DT 6.0
Joey Porter Dolphins OLB 6.0
Roy Williams Bengals S 5.1
Kevin Mawae Titans C 4.6
Cortland Finnegan Titans CB 4.2
Harvey Dahl Falcons G 3.7
Richie Incognito Rams G 3.7
Troy Polamalu Steelers S 3.3
Jared Allen Vikings DE 3.2

RuthlessBurgher
11-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Perhaps they were confused and voted for Troy as having the NFL's dirtiest hair. Letting those locks flow out of the back of your helmet and rolling around in the Heinz Field slop can do things to that mane that even Head and Shoulders can't remedy.

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2009, 12:31 PM
Seriously, players must have been confused and thought the award was for "toughest" player or "most aggresive" or "most violent" or something. There's no other reason some of these guys would be on this list. Keep in mind, those surveyed might have not understood the question because they were either illiterate and/or they were passed from grade to grade since they started school because they were deemed hopeless or teachers didn't wanna hold them back for fear of having them for another year. And in college they were no doubt given padded grades to keep them on the football field.

These idiots probably said the first name who came into their head, the person who has made them look the fool on the field the most times ===> HINES M'F'ING WARD!! Sorry you pussy defenders but that hit on Rivers (and all the others) was clean. Does Hines go looking to knock people the f*@#k out? He[[ yeah! And I want every player on my football team to follow his example! But he does it within the rules and before the whistle is blown. Suck it up pu$$y defenders who like to give it out but can't take having it given to them (which is what deebo was implying I believe)

No way Hines should be mad about this silly thing. Really, the fault probably lies with SI for not explaining the question to some of these meatheads. When I think of "dirty" players, I usually picture offense lineman from certain teams who have frequently dived at defenders knees with what some might interpret as clear intent to injure...and I'll just leave it at that.

SteelBucks
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
Perhaps they were confused and voted for Troy as having the NFL's dirtiest hair. Letting those locks flow out of the back of your helmet and rolling around in the Heinz Field slop can do things to that mane that even Head and Shoulders can't remedy.

Found this on the Trib:

Said Polamalu when asked about his supposedly dirty play, "I always do my hair before the game."

:)