PDA

View Full Version : Do NFC Games Interest You?

flippy
11-03-2009, 10:50 AM
I watched a little of the Falcons/Saints game last night and realized, I just don't care that much about NFC games.

That was a good game with 2 good teams, but I had a hard time being interested.

If the Steelers aren't on, I usually prefer an AFC game over an NFC game.

I watched more of the Dolphins/Jets than the Philly/Giants game on Sunday and I probably should have been more interested in the opposite.

I guess the AFC games have more of a direct impact on the Steelers and this is why I'm more interested in the AFC.

But I'm not sure I can really explain why I'm an AFC snob.

If I had to choose an NFC team to watch, I'd probably go with AZ or Minny. But I don't like the Saints, Philly, Washington, Cowboys, GreenBay, Chicago, etc.

I'd almost rather watch the Browns play the Bengals than 2 of those good teams play one another.

Does this make any sense?

RussBII
11-03-2009, 10:53 AM
I tend to watch the NFL no matter who is playing. I just like watching games When its an NFC game with two teams I don't care about, I tend to watch it differently. I try to pay attention to things I wouldn't normally pay attention to.

Northern_Blitz
11-03-2009, 11:19 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it's more appropriate here:

I find I can't watch games that don't involve the Steelers. First, it's almost all commercials. Second, there is no competition in the league this year. Way too many teams are terrible and two out of every three games are blowouts.

First, I have Sunday Ticket, so I have access to all the games. The only full games I watch are Steelers games. When they arn't playing, I'll flip around to try to follow my fantasy teams.

I find I watch the AFC more, but that's because I think there's been more quality in the AFC over the last couple of years (and games are more relavant to the Steelers as you've said).

Jom112
11-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Any NFL game I can watch. I was watching the Bears/Browns game this weekend.

My football addiction is getting so bad that I watched part of the Baylor v. Nebraska game to see how Baylor's center J.D. Walton held up against Ndamukong Suh.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 11:31 AM
When the Steelers aren't playing and I am home on a Sunday, I will watch the Red Zone channel, which bounces from game to game for me. Last night, I watched about half the game while on an elliptical machine at the gym. When it went to commercial, I switched over the World Series, even though I don't really follow baseball. So basically, when the Steelers are on, I need to be 100% focused on the game. For any other game, I'll watch, but I'll also flip around and do other things at the same time. I'm reasonably interested, but typically not enough to invest 3 straight hours devoted to that one game.

fezziwig
11-03-2009, 11:34 AM
not really. i'll check in on them from time to time but, with all the steeler following that i do, i can't waste too much more family/personal time following their side of the field too.

SteelAbility
11-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Yup. Several reasons ...

- Potential SB matchup
- Steelers may play one of the teams in the future
- Baseline for Steelers comparison (how are the LBs, WRs, etc.), especially with good teams
- NFC games can affect the Steelers' playoff future, albeit minimally (SoS is one of the tie-breaks. We should be rooting for the NFCN in non-Steeler games)

Mel Blount's G
11-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Not really, unless there no other games on. And then, I only wanna watch their "top" teams like minn, NO, gints, etc.. Watching a scrub-fest like a tampa vs. skins games is painful. I'll be watching those teams going, "Why can't we play teams like that!"

ikestops85
11-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Not really, unless there no other games on. And then, I only wanna watch their "top" teams like minn, NO, gints, etc.. Watching a scrub-fest like a tampa vs. skins games is painful. I'll be watching those teams going, "Why can't we play teams like that!"

We do (Detroit and Cleveland). We just tend to play down to there level so the game stays interesting and my heart rythm increases and then starts skipping beats. I really thought they would give me a break in the SD game but NOOOOOO! I'm on my knees in front of the TV chewing on my terrible towel and praying skippy puts it through the uprights.

Gawd ... I love this game. :Cheers

SteelBucks
11-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I'd say "no" considering I watched baseball last night.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I'd choose a Penguins hockey game over a non-Steelers NFL game.

Mel Blount's G
11-03-2009, 03:59 PM
True about Cleve and that we got the Dyin' Lions and that div this year. I was thinking more along the lines of being an nfc west team and playin half a season against the likes of powerhouses such as frisco, seahags, rams and zona

Sugar
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
Yup, I love watching the NFL in general. In fact, games where I don't have a "stake" are usually more fun for me in the sense that I can simply enjoy the game and not get worked up about this or that.

The players in the NFL are the best of the best and I'd rather watch them play than about anything else on TV unless Top Gear or a good fight are on.

flippy
11-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Yup. Several reasons ...

- Potential SB matchup
- Steelers may play one of the teams in the future
- Baseline for Steelers comparison (how are the LBs, WRs, etc.), especially with good teams
- NFC games can affect the Steelers' playoff future, albeit minimally (SoS is one of the tie-breaks. We should be rooting for the NFCN in non-Steeler games)

These are great points. You've piqued my interest again in the NFC. Thanks.

papillon
11-04-2009, 12:32 PM
To be honest if the Steelers aren't playing I can't watch an NFL game on TV. The commercials and slowness of the game in general make them like baseball. If the Steelers aren't on and I want to watch a sporting event I look for a hockey game (preferably the Pens, but any will do) or a world class soccer game -- no commercials ever, except halftime.

Pappy

Sugar
11-04-2009, 01:29 PM
To be honest if the Steelers aren't playing I can't watch an NFL game on TV. The commercials and slowness of the game in general make them like baseball. If the Steelers aren't on and I want to watch a sporting event I look for a hockey game (preferably the Pens, but any will do) or a world class soccer game -- no commercials ever, except halftime.

Pappy

That's why DVR is such a great thing. I never have to watch commercials if I so choose and the game goes much faster.

flippy
11-04-2009, 01:55 PM

Pappy

Soccer is just a little too slow for my liking. Although I've watched a couple of big games.

I love hockey, but it's hard to watch on tv. I do watch the Pens when I have time. But I prefer watching from the nosebleeds in the corner of the goal section.

Baseball almost kills me unless there's great pitching - ie. a game where the pitcher is perfect in placement, pitch selection, change of speeds, etc. A perfectly pitched game may be the best treat in all of sports. But then again, I wanna see that game from directly behind the catcher in the 1st row.

flippy
11-04-2009, 01:56 PM

Pappy

That's why DVR is such a great thing. I never have to watch commercials if I so choose and the game goes much faster.

I only watch live tvs late night in hotels.

Steelgal
11-04-2009, 02:21 PM
I don't watch a lot of NFC games either. If the Pack are playing we watch since dh is a Packers fan, but that's about it. We don't watch too many AFC games. Can't stand the ballwashing when the Pats and Indy are on. Plus I'd rather watch a 7 - 10 slugfest, than a high scoring 42 - 45 game, which is what the Colts/Pats are all about. I will watch any AFCN game though, even the horrible Browns.

I also love to watch soccer and while at times, it can be a bit slow, most games are worth watching.

feltdizz
11-05-2009, 06:25 PM
I tried to watch the saints game and I couldn't do it. I think the lack of impact on the steelers and the run and gun of the NFC have something to do with it.

I watched the eagles giants game and was forced to watch the Carolina Arizona game since I moved to NC. Just doesn't seem as physical as the AFC games. I think we are used to watching teams grind while the NFC tends to be more shootout and pass heavy.

frankthetank1
11-05-2009, 07:06 PM
any football game interests me. the off season is way too long so i feel i have to watch every game i can before the season ends. i always rather watch an afc game but its not a huge deal to me

papillon
11-05-2009, 08:32 PM

Pappy

Yea, I'm sure that helps, but, unless, it's a Steeler game I can't watch a rerun of football game even without commercials.

Pappy

papillon
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Pappy

Soccer is just a little too slow for my liking. Although I've watched a couple of big games.

I used to be that way until our kids got involved with soccer and now that I understand the game and its tactics it's not nearly as slow as it seems.

I love hockey, but it's hard to watch on tv. I do watch the Pens when I have time. But I prefer watching from the nosebleeds in the corner of the goal section.

Hockey is the best spectator sport as far as I'm concerned live or on TV.

Baseball almost kills me unless there's great pitching - ie. a game where the pitcher is perfect in placement, pitch selection, change of speeds, etc. A perfectly pitched game may be the best treat in all of sports. But then again, I wanna see that game from directly behind the catcher in the 1st row.

Baseball reminds me of the flies at a picnic, you know they're there, but you wish they would go away.

Pappy

NC Steeler Fan
11-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Geez Louise.... :shock:

I watch the NFL anytime and anyway I can.

Remember I'm a woman who can listen to the same Total Access episode
several times in a row while cleaning house! :lol:

Granted, I'd much rather see teams I am particularly interested in whether
they're AFC or NFC; especially for potential SB matchups.

However, the ONLY NFL team I cannot stand to watch is the patsies...

Gawd I hate that team...