PDA

View Full Version : the Lord Almighty plays QB for the Saints!

Shoe
11-02-2009, 11:15 PM
Seriously, do you hear the slurping over the broadcast of this MNF game? I mean... I normally feel like you guys tend to be a bit harsh on broadcasters etc, but jeez louise--listening to them fawn all over Drew Brees is reminicent of a certain Green Bay Packer/(now) Minnesota Viking QB.

I was unaware that Drew Brees had won multiple SB's.

pick6
11-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I got on the board to make the same statement. This is absolutely disgusting. I almost cried tears of joy when I heard that sean salisbury got the ax a few years ago from espn. He was the biggest front running maggot on earth. salisbury isnt even cold in the ground yet and this sycophant ron jarowski takes his place. then chuckie went on a tirade in the 2nd qtr. about brees and his coach peyton. These guys are genius now. it was like they were torturing me. and it worked. jaws is a horrible person. he stands for nothing and....this onside kick is fierce wow atl recovers i hope they win... ok ill give a play by play... pass to mid field then clock it 11 sec... ryans back 3 wide max prot. int sharper damn. it was short anyway. but like i was saying this these announcer are terrible. seriously jaws is bothering me. he is like a swarm of mosquitos. these guys really make phil simms seem like a joy. at least he talks about football. maguire, enberg, olson. thats my crew.

proudpittsburgher
11-03-2009, 10:05 AM
It will all be that much more palatable when we are celebrating our seventh super bowl title (Ben's 3rd) and Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, Palmer, are all sitting at home reveling over their regular season padded stats. :tt1

Northern_Blitz
11-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm pretty sure that Favre plays for the Vikings.

Seriously though, the league is about hyping itself. MNF is their biggest stage. The goal of MNF is to generate hype for the league, and they will worship the biggest star in the game every week.

At least they stopped interviewing stars at the expense of showing the game.

If you were expecting MNF Falcons vs. Saints to talk about how great Big Ben is playing, you're delusional. They'll have that script for next week though (that and how Orton was thrown away and is playing well on a Donks team that is having a big turn around despite getting rid of their "franchise" QB). In fact, the Broncos are probabaly the bigger story next week because their success is so unexpected.

The Steelers arn't sexy. We're almost always good, so it's not news when we're good it's what was expected. This is the same reason why "experts" don't pick us in the preseason. It's silly to get worked up about it IMO. Just hit mute and enjoy the commercials...every once and a while they'll show some football.

On an unrelated note I find I can't watch games that don't involve the Steelers. First, it's almost all commercials. Second, there is no competition in the league this year. Way too many teams are terrible and two out of every three games are blowouts.

steelblood
11-03-2009, 10:16 AM
I don't know. I'm more pissed off that the announcers swept that obvious PI committed against Roddy White that was not called and led directly to the Saints pick for a TD. If that was NE, Dallas, a NY team, or anyone playing the Steelers, they would have talked about it and its obvious and pivotal impact on the game ALL NIGHT LONG. But, since it was the Falcons against the feel good team of the year, it only got a passing mention after a commerical break and zero commentary from the experts. That was the whole game right there. It put the Saints up 28-14 and put the Falcons in a huge hole.

RussBII
11-03-2009, 10:42 AM
My first thought when reading the thread title was:

How did the Saints draft Tebow in November?!

NorthCoast
11-03-2009, 01:21 PM
yes they were spewing it but when it comes right down to it the Saints looked a LOT like the Steelers to me in spreading the ball around and the versatile running game.

Brees was deadly last night but it also helps to have a 6'4" WR to out-jump shrimps at CB. Would love for the Steelers to meet up with them this season...

Jom112
11-03-2009, 01:55 PM
It will all be that much more palatable when we are celebrating our seventh super bowl title (Ben's 3rd) and Brady, Brees, Manning, Manning, Palmer, are all sitting at home reveling over their regular season padded stats. :tt1

Roethlisberger is the one with more passing attempts than Palmer or Brees this season. Just sayin... :stirpot

drprwnap
11-03-2009, 02:16 PM
You know, I was going to start a thread about how BAD the announcers were last night
DISGUSTING and OBNOXIOUS DON'T EVEN BEGIN TO COVER IT

If you were expecting MNF Falcons vs. Saints to talk about how great Big Ben is playing, you're delusional. They'll have that script for next week though (that and how Orton was thrown away and is playing well on a Donks team that is having a big turn around despite getting rid of their "franchise" QB). In fact, the Broncos are probabaly the bigger story next week because their success is so unexpected.

I wasn't expecting them to talk about Ben. I was hoping for some INTELLIGENT comments on the game that was being played. Instead, we got a love fest from Chuckie about Breese and Payton.

I got on the board to make the same statement. This is absolutely disgusting. then chuckie went on a tirade in the 2nd qtr. about brees and his coach peyton. These guys are genius now. it was like they were torturing me. and it worked. jaws is a horrible person. . but like i was saying this these announcer are terrible. seriously jaws is bothering me. he is like a swarm of mosquitos. these guys really make phil simms seem like a joy. at least he talks about football.

Jaws is bad but Chuckie is worse, imo. I wonder if he had a 3 way with Breese and Payton while he was at training camp with them?? Another thing he went on and on and on about was all the extra work that the Saints put in. Seriously? Was this guy a head coach in the NFL????? Gee, I thought they never practiced, designed plays, gamed planned or any of that stuff... :roll:

With all the technology today, I wish I had a switch where I could turn off the announcers and listen to the crowd noise and stadium announcements, just like being at the game.

fezziwig
11-03-2009, 04:04 PM
I can kind of understand why they are so hyped on Brees. The Saints never really did a thing. Brees got the boot by the Chargers, went to a team known for being at best at times, " eh " The little bit I tuned into the game, Brees was tossing some good passes.
Brees and the offense can really move the ball and that is what the NFL has been trying for these past several years in my opinion.

The NFL wants action, scores, scoring highlights. They no longer want defenses, they want points, vs points and they want points scored from both teams as much and often as possible. The clock will soon be the teams enemy. Brees is giviing them what they are trying to push down the audiences throat, points and spectacular passes and catches.

Then you just have the tools working the booth and Jaws being the biggest tool of all, jumping the band wagon.

Steelers don't get the love because we are always a good team so, no big surprise when we do well. They gave Ben a lot of credit his first season. Thought they could have praised him more with his first and second Super Bowl win but, what are you going to do ?

If Wallace and Mendenhall start being game factors or controlling the games, the media will be sucking that up too because, they are new.

Shoe
11-03-2009, 05:17 PM
1) I wasn't expecting to hear about Ben during the Saints game... but--I do watch all the Steeler games... and I've never heard that much fawning over Ben, who happens to have 200% more SB's on his resume (than Brees).

2) good one, RussBII. :lol:

3) I'm not saying Brees sucks or anything like that... I actually like him, and the Saints are pretty entertaining team. But when it goes to that level (i.e. John Madden *hearts* Favre, Mike Patrick *hearts* Favre, Mike Patrick *hearts* Ray Lewis, etc.), it's just so annoying.

SidSmythe
11-03-2009, 05:36 PM
these announcers are paid big money to hype up these players. Listen to them week in and week out "goo goo" and "gah gah" over certain players. You'd think there kids were playing.
I really liked Gruden at first, his insight and enthusiasm is great, but I am sure this guy didn't sit in film sessions and "goo goo" and "Gah Gah" like he does from the booth.

My favorite line from last night was from Jaworski...he was referring to a nice throw by Brees...
"one of the most overlooked features of a QB is his accuracy!!!"

WHAT??? Since when???

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 07:26 PM
these announcers are paid big money to hype up these players. Listen to them week in and week out "goo goo" and "gah gah" over certain players. You'd think there kids were playing.
I really liked Gruden at first, his insight and enthusiasm is great, but I am sure this guy didn't sit in film sessions and "goo goo" and "Gah Gah" like he does from the booth.

My favorite line from last night was from Jaworski...he was referring to a nice throw by Brees...

WHAT??? Since when???

When the Raiders drafted JaMarcus Russell #1, they overlooked his accuracy. :wink:

BATMAN
11-04-2009, 02:06 PM
I truly believe that any Steeler team ever got the amount of love or on going love some of these teams get.

Jom112
11-04-2009, 02:15 PM

WHAT??? Since when???

The funniest announcer comment I've heard lately came from Tim McCarver. When Cliff Lee was pitching against the Yankees a couple of days ago, McCarver said (paraphrasing), "American League batters are just not used to seeing Cliff Lee", indicating that is why he is having soo much success against the Yankees.

Ah, genius he was pitching for the Indians from 2002 until mid-way into this season...

ikestops85
11-04-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm going against the grade here because I feel when the Steelers are on national TV Ben and Hines and Troy are gushed about as much as the other guys. There are probably 3 players that almost to the broadcaster they fawn over ... Brady, Manning and Farve.

We get our fair share of attention. Our defense is always highly praised (as it should be). Ben also receives accolades for his escapeability and always trying to make the big play (as he should be) and Hines is talked about as one of the best blocking receivers in the game (as he should be).

The problem is when the announcers start throwing around "best" or "greatest" which they tend to do. Brees is having a fantastic year and he has had a few very good years recently. He deserves the accolades ... but is he the best or greatest? I'm not willing to say that about him or Ben for that matter. If I owned a team and either one of those guys was my QB I would be very happy.

Now let's go have a beer. :Beer