PDA

View Full Version : Starks Nice protection against Vikes highlighted on TV comme

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Watching the Vikes-Packers game ... "Protecting the Blind Side" - Some insurance company commercial I think, but they said something like "Max Starks' excellent protection allowed Ben Rothlisberger time to throw a great TD pass to Wallace".

It was against Jared Allen. I've not been a loud fan of the O-line, but ... way to go Max!!

LordVile
11-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I saw that commercial to, during the giants/eagles game. I was pleasantly suprised to see our boys get some recognition.

said something about "having good protection, when it counts!"

right on...

ikestops85
11-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I think the pass blocking has improved 100%. There are times Ben seems to panick just because no one is around. I have been highly critical of the O-line in the past but this year I take my hat is off to them. :Cheers

calmkiller
11-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Its funny how Ben is on pace to be sacked for the same total again this year. But in past years everyone complains about his sacks as the reason to OLine sucks. So are we just Jaded now? Accepted the fact that Ben will be sacked and everything is okay?

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Its funny how Ben is on pace to be sacked for the same total again this year. But in past years everyone complains about his sacks as the reason to OLine sucks. So are we just Jaded now? Accepted the fact that Ben will be sacked and everything is okay?

In the past, there were a whole bunch of instances in which guys would come free and hit Ben seemingly a split second after the snap, giving us no shot whatsoever. I don't recall plays like that this season. The sacks we have been getting are coverage sacks...Ben double-pumping and triple-pumping...as opposed to guys being in his face immediately. Those are a bit more palatable, since most of us have come to the realization that Ben is not going to dramatically change that aspect of his game (he'll always look for the big play over throwing the ball away).

ikestops85
11-03-2009, 01:44 PM

Last year Ben started running for his life almost as soon as the ball was centered. This year Ben almost gets ansy back in the pocket because he has so much time to throw the ball. I'd be willing to venture that Ben holding on to the ball too long is responsible for 70% of the sacks this season.

Ben is a playmaker and as such he is always focused downfield looking for the open guy. Luckily for us fans he is very successful in making plays but there are times that I am screaming through my TV at him to get rid of the ball. :)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=8156

Here's a great 1 min - 54 seconds vid - many of Starks' defends against the Vikes.

Man, if someone told me that it was just some guy out of the stands wearing Jared Allen's uniform, I might believe them. Starks made Allen look that impotent.

:wink:

fezziwig
11-03-2009, 08:06 PM
I'm guilty of the o-line bashing too. They have been doing better and this season I've made a point to pay attention or give the line the benifit of doubt. Is Ben responsible for some or many of the sacks ? Yes, just in one game of four or so sacks, Ben was guilty of three sacks by holding onto the ball trying to make things happen. Oh well, if it works for Ben, so be it. I just hope he doesn't learn the hard way.

Question; Does this O-line miss Stapelton ?

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Question; Does this O-line miss Stapelton ?

I don't think so. I think Stapleton's value is as a backup lineman at multiple positions...guard and center (and frankly, I think that is Essex's value as well...at guard and tackle). I don't see much difference between them as starting RG's. My hope is that Kraig Urbik improves from year 1 to year 2, and can become a force from that spot.

BATMAN
11-04-2009, 02:04 PM
nice take on that ruthless. i think both fill in well but, i wish they would become or someone could step in and really knock the defense on their ears at that position. not complaining mind you and very happy at where we are with the offensive line as compared to last year, just being a fan and wanting it all.

flippy
11-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Ben will take as much time as our line gives him.

40-50 sacks looks like where he's gonna stay for his career.