PDA

View Full Version : Good call by Colbert...

TallyStiller
11-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Watching the end of Jets v. Fish... NYJ in the red zone under 2 minutes left with a chance to take the lead. 3rd and 6 from the 8 - HUGE play. Mark Sanchez drops back to pass... 4 man rush... nice pocket looks like it's developing, then... WHAM!!! Sanchez gets hit by what looks like a runaway train. One of Miami's inside rushers breaks free and absolutely crushes the QB... and it's not even a situation where the rook should've thrown it away. He had NO CHANCE. 4th and 15, desperation heave goes awry, game over.

Replay the big hit, and the digits on the back of the guy getting roasted on the Jets O Line? You guessed it, 66... none other than our own Crybaby Alan Faneca. Just cost them a game they won't be able to afford NOT to have come December in crunch time and got absolutely TOOLED by a nobody DT named Randy Starks. Nice $40 million Offensive Guard, guys. Better you than us. But I'll bet anybody here a beer he still goes to the Pro Bowl :roll:

Reason I post this is that a lot of people here and elsewhere complain when our FO makes the tough decisions and lets a favorite vet go over money. More will complain when Fat Casey is shown the door after the season. Our FO does a good job of evaluating the value per dollar of the guys we have, and keeping the right ones. Crybaby Alan in his declining years is still a good player (witness the Jets rushing totals this year), but not THAT much better than Chris Kemo, who is costing us about 1/2 as much... especially when we've got a lot of other guys to take care of.

Folks don't pay attention to stuff like this years down the road often enough, so I thought I'd give our guys in the FO the shout out and "well done".

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-01-2009, 06:28 PM
Good call, Tallyman! I think the "negative" value of keeping a malcontent like Faneca in the locker room also was considered.

Steelgal
11-01-2009, 08:20 PM
If Cowher gets a coaching job this upcoming off season and is given the power to hire his own GM, do you think he tries to get Colbert? Is he under contract with the Steelers for any length of time? Just wondering what everyone thought...

Chadman
11-01-2009, 08:34 PM
If Cowher gets a coaching job this upcoming off season and is given the power to hire his own GM, do you think he tries to get Colbert? Is he under contract with the Steelers for any length of time? Just wondering what everyone thought...

Pretty sure that'll be a 'no'- wasn't their a power struggle between the two?

stlrz d
11-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure Cowher wants complete control.

Steelgal
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM

I couldn't remember if that was the case or not. I know they said Cowher was 'over-ruled' when we took Ben, but wasn't sure if it happened a lot or not.

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2009, 09:28 PM

There was a huge power struggle between Cowher and Donahoe back in the day. Colbert is a Pittsburgh native and knows what he has working for the Rooneys (he has been on the opposite end of the spectrum working for the Ford family in Detroit). I think he's more than happy to stay put.

steelblood
11-01-2009, 09:40 PM
colbert and cowher got along pretty well from all reports. if cowher wanted a gm, he could court colbert and for a huge increase, he might leave. but, it is pretty likely that cowher will want complete control.

SteelCrazy
11-01-2009, 09:43 PM

There was a huge power struggle between Cowher and Donahoe back in the day. Colbert is a Pittsburgh native and knows what he has working for the Rooneys (he has been on the opposite end of the spectrum working for the Ford family in Detroit). I think he's more than happy to stay put.

Ding Ding Ding.......show him what he has won Johnny!!!

RuthlessBurgher
11-01-2009, 10:34 PM

http://z.about.com/d/gameshows/1/0/R/C/-/-/lmadzonkgoat.jpg

SteelCrazy
11-01-2009, 10:42 PM

http://z.about.com/d/gameshows/1/0/R/C/-/-/lmadzonkgoat.jpg

Eat the food Tina!! http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/straightface72/tumblr_kpdboqjZOu1qzkvvio1_500.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
11-01-2009, 10:46 PM

That's correct. And Cowher pretty much hired Colbert. Even though the position of GM/Director of personnel (or whatever Colbert's title is) is usually considered higher than coach, Colbert was below Cowher on the team's hierarchy.

Oviedo
11-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Watching the end of Jets v. Fish... NYJ in the red zone under 2 minutes left with a chance to take the lead. 3rd and 6 from the 8 - HUGE play. Mark Sanchez drops back to pass... 4 man rush... nice pocket looks like it's developing, then... WHAM!!! Sanchez gets hit by what looks like a runaway train. One of Miami's inside rushers breaks free and absolutely crushes the QB... and it's not even a situation where the rook should've thrown it away. He had NO CHANCE. 4th and 15, desperation heave goes awry, game over.

Replay the big hit, and the digits on the back of the guy getting roasted on the Jets O Line? You guessed it, 66... none other than our own Crybaby Alan Faneca. Just cost them a game they won't be able to afford NOT to have come December in crunch time and got absolutely TOOLED by a nobody DT named Randy Starks. Nice $40 million Offensive Guard, guys. Better you than us. But I'll bet anybody here a beer he still goes to the Pro Bowl :roll:

Reason I post this is that a lot of people here and elsewhere complain when our FO makes the tough decisions and lets a favorite vet go over money. More will complain when Fat Casey is shown the door after the season. Our FO does a good job of evaluating the value per dollar of the guys we have, and keeping the right ones. Crybaby Alan in his declining years is still a good player (witness the Jets rushing totals this year), but not THAT much better than Chris Kemo, who is costing us about 1/2 as much... especially when we've got a lot of other guys to take care of.

Folks don't pay attention to stuff like this years down the road often enough, so I thought I'd give our guys in the FO the shout out and "well done".

Everyone on this board not blinded by "man love" knew this long term would be addition by subtraction.

Faneca was rapidly approaching his "sell by" date when he was here and with a transition to a more pass oriented offense he was going to be a liability because he was becoming a poor pass blocker.

steelblood
11-02-2009, 11:50 AM
I've watched Faneca quite a bit this year. His run blocking ranges from good to excellent. His pass blocking from poor to good. I don't understand how he still moves so well and yet has trouble pass blocking.

Still, that Jets line can flat out dominate in the running game. They are impressive in that phase.