PDA

View Full Version : DYK? That Sweed has astigmatism...

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
I didn't know that he had astigmatism. It's where an object can appear to be in two separate spots. This could be what's wrong with him. He wears contacts to correct this, but you never know if it works. He's going to lie if he wants to keep playing.

I wonder if there is a test that can confirm what he is really seeing? Although, on some of his drops it looks more like a lack of concentration, like when he was looking up at the scoreboard instead of the ball when he dropped the for sure TD pass in the AFCC game.

steelblood
10-30-2009, 10:25 AM
I didn't know that he had astigmatism. It's where an object can appear to be in two separate spots. This could be what's wrong with him. He wears contacts to correct this, but you never know if it works. He's going to lie if he wants to keep playing.

I wonder if there is a test that can confirm what he is really seeing? Although, on some of his drops it looks more like a lack of concentration, like when he was looking up at the scoreboard instead of the ball when he dropped the for sure TD pass in the AFCC game.

Astigmatisms are very common. I bet 100's of NFL players have them. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a proper prescription. But, anything is possible.

Jom112
10-30-2009, 10:26 AM
I don't think his problem is getting his hands on the ball, it's just holding on to it after it's in his hands.

I believe it's called Ted Ginn-its...

flippy
10-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Contacts don't really correct an astigmatism.

But dropping passes hasn't always been a problem?

Wonder if he catches better when he turns his head for the ball toward his stronger eye?

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 10:30 AM

Astigmatisms are very common. I bet 100's of NFL players have them. I'd be shocked if he didn't have a proper prescription. But, anything is possible.

It's a bye week...Thanks for not TOTALLY killing my thought...lol

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't think his problem is getting his hands on the ball, it's just holding on to it after it's in his hands.

But if he see's two balls and they are very close to each other maybe he tries to catch and hold on to the wrong one...huh? huh?

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 10:37 AM
Contacts don't really correct an astigmatism.

But dropping passes hasn't always been a problem?

Wonder if he catches better when he turns his head for the ball toward his stronger eye?

He was having trouble in college until he made that grab in the bowl game against Ohio St

SteelAbility
10-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Oh, for a second there I thought you said Sweed had Antagonism ... to catching the BALL!

Jom112
10-30-2009, 11:31 AM

But if he see's two balls and they are very close to each other maybe he tries to catch and hold on to the wrong one...huh? huh?

My wife had astigmatism, but then she got Lasik. She wasn't sure if she could get lasik because she had astigmatism, but he was able to. It's helped her vision a lot.

Maybe Sweed should invest in that?

Iron Shiek
10-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I am pretty sure this shouldn't be affecting him. In his first training camp last year they diagnosed him with it and he had no idea until that point that he had it. I recall someone posting a news video of him being interviewed coming out of the doctors office and him saying what he was getting done to help the issue. I am fairly certain he just needs to concentrate more and get his hands on the ball.

Ha, I read an article that called the Browns draft pick of Brian Robiskie a terrible bust this year because he hasn't done anything yet...well what would Limas Sweed be then?

I think the bust term is a bit premature for both players however. But in Sweeds case, you'd like to see a pattern of improvement that we aren't seeing...unfortunately.

BDESteel
10-30-2009, 11:43 AM
That's total BS! I have astigmatism. It's really not seeing two things, it's more like seeing things blurry near and far. Sweed has concentration problems period. Unless he's practically blind, I'd bet he really doesn't even need contacts to see the football.

I'll tell you what he needs is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQRY9hdI78

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 12:07 PM
That's total BS! I have astigmatism. It's really not seeing two things, it's more like seeing things blurry near and far. Sweed has concentration problems period. Unless he's practically blind, I'd bet he really doesn't even need contacts to see the football.

I was going by what I read. Thanks for clearing it up. However , it is a bye week and I just ran with it.........If the ball is blurry I'd have to think that would help in breaking his concentration though. Is that fair enough?

BDESteel
10-30-2009, 12:14 PM

I was going by what I read. Thanks for clearing it up. However , it is a bye week and I just ran with it.........If the ball is blurry I'd have to think that would help in breaking his concentration though. Is that fair enough?

No doubt, fair enough. I really think he should invest in some vapor trails though. :lol:

SteelCrazy
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM

No doubt, fair enough. I really think he should invest in some vapor trails though. :lol:

Maybe we all should donate a dollar, buy them and send them to him. :tt2

flippy
10-30-2009, 05:50 PM

I'll tell you what he needs is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biQRY9hdI78

I have astimatism and I played baseball in high school and I had a hard time picking up the release and roatation on a baseball when I tried to hit while wearing contacts. Wearing glasses was way clearer.