PDA

View Full Version : Denver decision looms for Clark...

SteelHead
10-30-2009, 09:42 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 50611.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_650611.html)

A sickle cell trait expert said Thursday that Ryan Clark should be OK if he plays in Denver on Nov. 9 -- provided that the Steelers free safety takes the necessary precautions.

"I think that means aggressive hydration and oxygen," said Dr. Mark Gladwin, director of vascular medicine and chief of the pulmonary, allergy and critical care medicine division at UPMC.

Clark met with doctors again yesterday as he weighs the risks of playing in the Steelers' game that follows their bye week.

The mile-high altitude in Denver caused Clark's blood to sickle in a game two years ago. The resulting deprivation of oxygen to several major organs triggered a harrowing ordeal that eventually led to Clark getting his spleen and gall bladder removed in separate operations -- and could have cost him his career or worse.

Clark, a fearless hitter, does not back down from anything on the football field. What the eighth-year veteran must decide is whether a game is worth exposing himself to more complications that could arise from playing in Denver.

"It's hard, period, because you work so hard in the offseason for these games," Clark said after the Steelers' 27-17 win over the Minnesota Vikings. "But at the same time, you don't want one game to cost you your career. Or your life."

Clark, who turned 30 earlier this month, and the Steelers have been gathering as much information as possible in advance of the nationally televised game in Denver.

Clark has started 24 of the Steelers' past 26 games at free safety. Whether he even suits up against the undefeated Broncos will come down to a number of factors, not the least of which is that he and his wife, Yonka, have three small children.

Those with sickle cell trait have a genetic disorder that can cause hemoglobin - they release oxygen to different parts of the body through red blood cells - to stick together.

Oxygen essentially prevents this from happening by acting as a diluting agent. The process of red blood cells passing through blood vessels can be compromised in places where the altitude is higher and the concentration of oxygen in the air is lower, Gladwin said.

Gladwin explained what happens is what is commonly known as the "water balloon analogy of sickle cell", when the hemoglobin in red blood cells crystallize.

"Think of a wet water balloon, and you know how when you squeeze it, it slips right out of your hands? You could squeeze a water balloon through a tube, it would just slip right through it," Gladwin said. "Now take that same water balloon and partially freeze it. There's chunks of ice in it. Now you couldn't squeeze it through a tube."

A similar thing happens when hemoglobin get stuck together, Gladwin said.

Clark experienced that in the Steelers' previous game in Denver. Wide receiver Santonio Holmes, who also has sickle cell trait, did not endure anything that extreme.

But, Holmes said, it was a struggle for him to get through the game.

"It hurt to play there," Holmes said. "I couldn't breathe, I was coughing. I went out before we even did team warm ups and came back in, and I was like 'I can't breathe.' But it was my singular focus just to go out and play ball."

Holmes, who caught six passes for 54 yards and a touchdown in the Oct. 21, 2007 game against the Broncos, has said he will play in Denver.

Gladwin said players with sickle cell trait can minimize their risks of playing in high-altitude places such as Denver by getting supplemental oxygen when they are on the sidelines.

Hydration, Gladwin said, is also crucial because those with sickle cell trait have a harder time retaining fluids.

The Steelers also could limit Clark's number of snaps by using him in a rotation at free safety with Tyrone Carter or Ryan Mundy. Coaches have not decided how they will handle Clark's situation.

Still, the dilemma Clark faces is not an easy one.

What adds to the difficulty of the looming decision for Clark and the Steelers: doctors didn't initially diagnose how serious his condition was after he returned from his last game in Denver. His spleen wasn't removed until November after he sought a second medical opinion, and his gall bladder didn't come out until December.

"I know he wants to play," said Joel Turner, Clark's agent. "There's not a shadow of a doubt about that. I just told Ryan: Whatever the doctors and he and Yonka decide, I'm behind him 1,000 percent."

I can't imagine how tough a decision this must be for him to make. Considering just how serious his complications were from last time, I'd say sit. Your life is not worth a football game. Ryan is such a solid player for us and would be missed but with Troy back patrolling the secondary we should be able to compensate. Meanwhile I had no idea Tone had such a hard time playing last time in Denver.

aggiebones
10-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Is it the amount of reps or just being there?

If he could play some plays as a backup that should be enough, while getting someone else some reps. Holmes could ramp it down some as well. Yes, they are good players, but they may not be playing at 100% in this condition anyway, so let a backup get more reps.
I really hope the Steelers are well past conservative on this in particular for Clark, who is already missing several organs from the last time.

Mel Blount's G
10-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Have him available for centerfield duties on 3rd and longs if possible. His timing on over the top help on the long balls is impeccable. I doubt anybody anymore questons that he's been a significant upgrade over Chris Hope, who was often a second late when Clark is there on time

SteelBucks
10-30-2009, 06:30 PM
The team should "forget" his equipment back in Pittsburgh. I know Clark visited several doctors and even they don't know how his body will react to the altitude. Let Carter or Mundy take care of this one.

Ozey74
10-30-2009, 08:48 PM
It wouldn't bother me a bit if Clark chooses to sit this one out. This game ain't worth putting your life at risk.

sd steel
10-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I find it strange that he is the only one with Sickle Cell that has adverse reactions in high altitude, heck the guy gets on a plane at least 20 times a year. I guarantee the Broncos have had guys on their roster with Sickle Cell. It doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like a misdiagnosis to begin with, and then blaming it on the altitude. Aren't there other people with sickle cell traits living, or even born in high altitude areas? Do they just move? What if we have a playoff game in Denver, which could be a very real situation. If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. And I like Ryan Clark btw.

stlrz d
10-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I find it strange that he is the only one with Sickle Cell that has adverse reactions in high altitude, heck the guy gets on a plane at least 20 times a year. I guarantee the Broncos have had guys on their roster with Sickle Cell. It doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like a misdiagnosis to begin with, and then blaming it on the altitude. Aren't there other people with sickle cell traits living, or even born in high altitude areas? Do they just move? What if we have a playoff game in Denver, which could be a very real situation. If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. And I like Ryan Clark btw.

Perhaps you should read up a bit.

Clark has a blood disorder caused by the sickle-cell trait that has attacked his organs when he exerts himself in high altitude. It was a problem for him when he played in Denver with the Washington Redskins in 2005, a much more serious problem when he played there with the Steelers in October '07. He had to be hospitalized immediately after that game and nearly died not long after he returned to Pittsburgh.

"The first speech I got from the doctors in the hospital [here] was that my lungs had filled, my kidneys were dented and my stomach was closing," Clark said in January, recalling that frightful time. "My spleen had gotten enlarged and infected and it died."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09301/10 ... z0VTYQGJRi (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09301/1008808-87.stm#ixzz0VTYQGJRi)

He's fine everywhere but Denver, so with all due respect, your "If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all" is pretty much off the mark all the way around.

sd steel
10-30-2009, 10:30 PM
[quote="sd steel":3mt7x3cw]I find it strange that he is the only one with Sickle Cell that has adverse reactions in high altitude, heck the guy gets on a plane at least 20 times a year. I guarantee the Broncos have had guys on their roster with Sickle Cell. It doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like a misdiagnosis to begin with, and then blaming it on the altitude. Aren't there other people with sickle cell traits living, or even born in high altitude areas? Do they just move? What if we have a playoff game in Denver, which could be a very real situation. If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. And I like Ryan Clark btw.

Clark has a blood disorder caused by the sickle-cell trait that has attacked his organs when he exerts himself in high altitude. It was a problem for him when he played in Denver with the Washington Redskins in 2005, a much more serious problem when he played there with the Steelers in October '07. He had to be hospitalized immediately after that game and nearly died not long after he returned to Pittsburgh.

"The first speech I got from the doctors in the hospital [here] was that my lungs had filled, my kidneys were dented and my stomach was closing," Clark said in January, recalling that frightful time. "My spleen had gotten enlarged and infected and it died."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09301/10 ... z0VTYQGJRi (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09301/1008808-87.stm#ixzz0VTYQGJRi)

He's fine everywhere but Denver, so with all due respect, your "If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all" is pretty much off the mark all the way around.[/quote:3mt7x3cw]

I read the article, I'm saying it could have been a misdiagnosis to begin with, "doctor reads the sports page so I'm an expert" (That seems to be a common theme with you). So no one else has this same sickle cell trait? Like I said previously we play at different locations all over the country, and chances are we will be playing in Denver again, if he can't play there maybe he shouldn't be playing to begin with. Do they take away 1/16 of his salary? He obviously isn't healthy enough to perform his job. And I will state again I think Clark is a great player and a asset to this team.

stlrz d
10-30-2009, 11:33 PM
[quote="stlrz d":w38klgal][quote="sd steel":w38klgal]I find it strange that he is the only one with Sickle Cell that has adverse reactions in high altitude, heck the guy gets on a plane at least 20 times a year. I guarantee the Broncos have had guys on their roster with Sickle Cell. It doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like a misdiagnosis to begin with, and then blaming it on the altitude. Aren't there other people with sickle cell traits living, or even born in high altitude areas? Do they just move? What if we have a playoff game in Denver, which could be a very real situation. If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. And I like Ryan Clark btw.

He's fine everywhere but Denver, so with all due respect, your "If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all" is pretty much off the mark all the way around.[/quote:w38klgal]

I read the article, I'm saying it could have been a misdiagnosis to begin with, "doctor reads the sports page so I'm an expert" (That seems to be a common theme with you). So no one else has this same sickle cell trait? Like I said previously we play at different locations all over the country, and chances are we will be playing in Denver again, if he can't play there maybe he shouldn't be playing to begin with. Do they take away 1/16 of his salary? He obviously isn't healthy enough to perform his job. And I will state again I think Clark is a great player and a asset to this team.[/quote:w38klgal]

I'll put it in big letters for you so you can't possibly miss it, since your theme seems to be missing things.

Clark has a blood disorder caused by the sickle-cell trait that has attacked his organs when he exerts himself in high altitude.

Plenty of people have sickle cell. Clark has something as a result of sickle cell. Not the same thing.

If a player is injured for a game do they take his game check? If a team has nothing to play for and a starter doesn't play do they take away his game check?

This is no different and it's one effing game. It's pretty ignorant of you to say that if he can't play in one effing stadium in the NFL that he shouldn't be playing at all. Dumb too. They mean different things. Ignorant and dumb that is. ;)

"He obviously isn't healthy enough to perform his job".

What a maroon.... :roll:

Oh yeah, and let's not leave out that he's a professional athlete with tons of cash, fantastic insurance and access to the best medical care possible...yet it's probably a misdiagnosis. :roll:

BURGH86STEEL
10-31-2009, 06:24 AM

It is really not strange. I think one problem you are having is you are trying to lump everybody with this condition under the same umbrella. Every person with a disorder may have different triggers or reactions. A lot of times, things in medicine don't add up. There are a lot of things that are not understood by the medical community. There is a reason why medicine is called practice.

It could be a mis diagnosis or it can be the right diagnosis. No fan knows Clark's medical history. Whatever it may be, I don't believe he would get away with "blaming" it on high altitude. There are people that may have been born in high altitudes. Their bodies could have adapted to living under those conditions.

Do you mean he shouldn't be playing football at all or playing in Denver?

sd steel
10-31-2009, 09:32 AM
[quote="sd steel":y9q1icvh][quote="stlrz d":y9q1icvh][quote="sd steel":y9q1icvh]I find it strange that he is the only one with Sickle Cell that has adverse reactions in high altitude, heck the guy gets on a plane at least 20 times a year. I guarantee the Broncos have had guys on their roster with Sickle Cell. It doesn't make much sense to me. It sounds like a misdiagnosis to begin with, and then blaming it on the altitude. Aren't there other people with sickle cell traits living, or even born in high altitude areas? Do they just move? What if we have a playoff game in Denver, which could be a very real situation. If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all. And I like Ryan Clark btw.

He's fine everywhere but Denver, so with all due respect, your "If he isn't healthy enough to play at a high altitude, maybe he shouldn't be playing at all" is pretty much off the mark all the way around.[/quote:y9q1icvh]

I read the article, I'm saying it could have been a misdiagnosis to begin with, "doctor reads the sports page so I'm an expert" (That seems to be a common theme with you). So no one else has this same sickle cell trait? Like I said previously we play at different locations all over the country, and chances are we will be playing in Denver again, if he can't play there maybe he shouldn't be playing to begin with. Do they take away 1/16 of his salary? He obviously isn't healthy enough to perform his job. And I will state again I think Clark is a great player and a asset to this team.[/quote:y9q1icvh]

I'll put it in big letters for you so you can't possibly miss it, since your theme seems to be missing things.

Clark has a blood disorder caused by the sickle-cell trait that has attacked his organs when he exerts himself in high altitude.

Plenty of people have sickle cell. Clark has something as a result of sickle cell. Not the same thing.

If a player is injured for a game do they take his game check? If a team has nothing to play for and a starter doesn't play do they take away his game check?

This is no different and it's one effing game. It's pretty ignorant of you to say that if he can't play in one effing stadium in the NFL that he shouldn't be playing at all. Dumb too. They mean different things. Ignorant and dumb that is. ;)

"He obviously isn't healthy enough to perform his job".

What a maroon.... :roll:

Oh yeah, and let's not leave out that he's a professional athlete with tons of cash, fantastic insurance and access to the best medical care possible...yet it's probably a misdiagnosis. :roll:[/quote:y9q1icvh]

You and your big words, "internet tough guy". Did you wake up on the wrong side of Mom's basement today? Anyways, lets says your employer, (Porto Pottie of Green Bay), has two big functions in Denver each year which will account for 1/10 of your work time that year. You happen to be the only guy aside from Ryan Clark who has said affliction. I'm guessing that cleaning dirty outhouses would be physically demanding, and YOU could die if you did it in Denver, (or at least a Dr. said it could be a possibility). Now you aren't injured, but you refuse to go to Denver to clean the Poop cans. Should your employer still pay you a portion of your $18K yearly salary, or should they deduct the $1800 dollars for missing 1/10 of the years work. I tried to keep this scenario as realistic as possible so you could understand it better.

I have obviously never heard of this affliction prior to Clark's incident, as I would guess you hadn't either, and they already said the doctors made a misdiagnosis earlier regarding taking out his spleen and galbladder too late. If they aren't sure how his body will react while being physically taxed at a high altitude, how do they know if physical exertion in high heats freezing colds or anywhere else might not set off something else with this trait? If I were that worried about my health, and there were still uncertainties about my condition I would consider retiring and not chancing anything. And again D....lighten up Francis.

stlrz d
10-31-2009, 10:07 AM
You make douche posts and then tell ME to lighten up?

You make condescending posts and then call ME an internet tough guy?

You're a fool...there's no sense even trying with you. There's no sense in even attempting to address anything you've brought up.

Douche.

sd steel
11-02-2009, 09:09 PM
You make douche posts and then tell ME to lighten up?

You make condescending posts and then call ME an internet tough guy?

You're a fool...there's no sense even trying with you. There's no sense in even attempting to address anything you've brought up.

Douche.

I made a post about my perception of Clark's health issue. It wasn't directed to you, but you felt it necessary to tell me to "read up" and that "I'm off the mark all the way around", even though all you know is what you read in the little blurb in the paper. Then you spell it out for me in big letters??? I throw a little humor back your way, and I'm the douche?

Ok, whatever you say D. :lol: