PDA

View Full Version : Under the Radar

SteelAbility
10-29-2009, 04:32 PM
Does anyone else feel like NE is flying under the radar? Quietly they are 5-2. Their last two games have been against weak opponents but they have outscored their opponents 94 to 7. They barely lost to a 6-0 Denver team on the road before that. It seems that Brady is heating up and returning to form.

Their remaining schedule is actually a bit tough the next few weeks ...

MIA, IND, NYJ, NO, MIA

I think these 5 games are going to tell how strong they really are. Thoughts?

Mel Blount's G
10-29-2009, 05:02 PM
As a team, maybe. But their offense, Brady/Moss/Welker, has gotten consistent hype I think and no one was surpised that fragile Fred lived up to his name. That remaining schedule doesn't seem that tough to me imo. There divisional opponents are relatively weak imo (not sold on fins or bought into jets hype) but the indy and saints offenses should thoroughly expose the *'s defense

What is under the radar is the cohesiveness of that offensive line which has been together for years and has remained relatively injury free.

RuthlessBurgher
10-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Does everyone realize that if not for a miracle comeback that only came to be because Leodis McKelvin stupidly returned that kick and fumbled the ball late in the game, there would be a 3-way tie for first place in the AFC East right now with the Jets, Bills, and Asterisks all at 4-3.

pfelix73
10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
Not until you brought it up.... :lol:

SteelAbility
10-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Does everyone realize that if not for a miracle comeback that only came to be because Leodis McKelvin stupidly returned that kick and fumbled the ball late in the game, there would be a 3-way tie for first place in the AFC East right now with the Jets, Bills, and Asterisks all at 4-3.

I'm still pissed about McKelvin's boneheaded "go for the extra quarter yard" attempt. I'm also aware that there was a very good chance that they fell to Ravens. Just two or three plays away from 3-4.

I think my point is that though they aren't the "talk of the town," they could very well have more of a deadly bite than people think.

JTP53609
10-30-2009, 08:32 AM
i dont think they are "under the radar" they are talked about on a weekly basis, and everyone loves cheats so that *s are loved by the sly media, i think the steelers are under the radar more than the *s...teams that overblown like the *s and galboys, get attention all the time when they are good or bad, and hard working teams like the steelers still fly low even after they win their SECOND SUPER BOWL in 4 years...

flippy
10-30-2009, 10:32 AM
As Brady gets his timing back, they're going to be tough to beat.

I hear lots of talk about how it took Peyton, 7-8 weeks until he got into a groove several years ago. And many think it's going to be the same for Brady.

Their defense isn't great, but if they can run up points like they did 2 years ago, they will likely be the team to beat come playoff time.

And they'll likely lose to Denver again. Denver is like Tom Brady's kryptonite.

RuthlessBurgher
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Denver is like Tom Brady's kryptonite.

I wonder if Brady has sickle cell. :wink:

fezziwig
10-30-2009, 11:40 AM
i dont think they are "under the radar" they are talked about on a weekly basis, and everyone loves cheats so that *s are loved by the sly media, i think the steelers are under the radar more than the *s...teams that overblown like the *s and galboys, get attention all the time when they are good or bad, and hard working teams like the steelers still fly low even after they win their SECOND SUPER BOWL in 4 years...

I have to agree, the cheats never fly under the radar with all the media hype.

flippy
10-30-2009, 05:53 PM

Serious question. Can a white guy even get sickle cell?

Ozey74
10-30-2009, 09:11 PM

I know. A win was on a shiny silver platter for the Bills & they screwed it all up. This was the equalivant of a nerd getting ready to "seal the deal" with a Playboy playmate and saying something like "you have the same personality as my mom".

:HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
10-31-2009, 12:56 PM

Serious question. Can a white guy even get sickle cell?

Is sickle cell a "black" disease? No. Contrary to popular perception, the gene variant that causes sickle cell disease evolved as a result of its surprising upside malaria resistance. In the malaria belt regions of Africa, the Middle East, southern Europe and South Asia, this gene variant flourished because the benefits of malaria resistance outweighed the negative impact of sickle cell disease.

Why does sickle cell seem to afflict blacks the most? Sickle cell is found more frequently in persons of Middle Eastern, Indian, Mediterranean and African heritage because those geographic regions are most prone to malaria. The gene variant for sickle cell disease is related to malaria, not skin color.

TallyStiller
11-01-2009, 10:26 AM
We tend to get more benefit from flying "under the radar" than most good teams in the league... because media hate talking about us. I guess it's because we've been so consistently good for so long, and have won in a style that has tended more towards workmanlike rather than flashy, and because we're from Pittsburgh and not a big media center, we're looked at as "the same old story". In a media world that has a 5 second attention span and is always obsessed with the next big thing, we don't rate.

As to the Pats, the NFL is loaded with really bad football teams this year. Get a couple in a row on the schedule, and any one of a dozen teams could put up an aggregate 80 - 10 over a two week span... then again, we had Lionsand Stains, and only went 55 - 34, so 94 - 7 looks pretty good in comparison. Then again, the 61 - 23 we put up against a combined 13 - 0 duo of Cheats and Iggles in '04 proved pretty meaningless in January, so it's all just rank speculation now.

stlrz d
11-01-2009, 01:17 PM
We get plenty of media attention.

Ask fans of the Lions or Rams how much media attention their teams get.

Djfan
11-01-2009, 01:19 PM
They are in part off the media radar because the Brees love fest is in full swing.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
11-02-2009, 09:57 PM
What is under the radar is the cohesiveness of that offensive line which has been together for years and has remained relatively injury free.

That was one of the the most intelligent statement I have ever heard on this or the trib forum. War is always won in the trenches. Well said