PDA

View Full Version : Timmons Update....

SteelHead
10-27-2009, 02:18 PM
From his blog....

http://playerpress.com/articles/splash-plays

Written by Lawrence Timmons, Tuesday October 27 2009

We have a bye this week, and it’s really beautiful timing for us to have a bye because I hurt my ankle.

Minnesota ran a reverse and I had contain on the play. I was on my way to make the tackle but our DT thought he was gonna make the play, too. He didn’t mean to but he rolled up on my ankle, so it came from friendly fire.

It’s a Grade 1 sprain, not a big deal, and it’s the other ankle from the one I hurt earlier in the season. I should come back faster than I did from that high ankle sprain. I should be able to make it back for the Denver game, which will be Nov. 9 on Monday Night Football.

The defense came up really big against Minnesota. Brett Keisel had a big strip on Favre and LaMarr took it to the house, that was huge. One thing about our D, we’re always trying to give the offense a shorter field, we want to make it easier on them by making big plays. Coach Tomlin loves to call them splash plays. A splash play can change the game and make it a turning point.

During the bye week I’ll pretty much just sit around the house and take care of this ankle. I’ll be on the couch catching up with my shows, like “Curb Your Enthusiasm” and “Entourage.” I also like the show “Crash” on Starz. I’ll be looking at those and seeing some movies, like the new Jamie Foxx movie “Law Abiding Citizen.”

Lawrence Timmons is a linebacker with the Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. His blog for http://www.playerpress.com runs at http://www.timmons94.com. Follow him on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/lawrencetimmons.

Oviedo
10-27-2009, 02:24 PM
Glad to see he doesn't plan on ripping towel dispensers off the wall or getting in confrontations with police during break like someone else might.

Hopefully no one on the team causes any drama over the next two weeks.

SteelerNation1
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Good news, but the more Key Fox plays, the more I like him.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 03:11 PM
I'm glad ol' Olajuwon reminded me to catch up on my new "Curb" episodes. I don't watch "Entourage" or "Crash" but I'm getting behind on the new season of "Dexter" on Showtime already.

skyhawk
10-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Hopefully Timmons doesn't turn out to be like Mr. Glass Kendrell Bell did.

SidSmythe
10-27-2009, 04:07 PM
I picked on TIMMONS b/c the same week he sprained his ankle, I sprained mine while running!! I was back walking and felt fine in a week and I was picking on him.

UNTIL I started running and cutting and the pain is there.

THEN the pain goes away, but it's still weak.

TODAY I overturned it TWICE while running. The good news is, after about 2 minutes you're ready to go again. So I'm thinking that Timmons is going to deal with this all season.

NW Steeler
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
I'm glad ol' Olajuwon reminded me to catch up on my new "Curb" episodes. I don't watch "Entourage" or "Crash" but I'm getting behind on the new season of "Dexter" on Showtime already.

You are missing out on Entourage, that show is great. Curb is freaking hilarious this year, and Dexter has been solid as well. Apparently you have Showtime, make sure you catch Californication, that show is the best of them all!

steelblood
10-27-2009, 05:18 PM
his blog is good. I like the entry about Tomlin calling him at home and how Tomlin keeps business and personal conversations separate. Nice job LT.

sd steel
10-27-2009, 05:23 PM
I picked on TIMMONS b/c the same week he sprained his ankle, I sprained mine while running!! I was back walking and felt fine in a week and I was picking on him.

TODAY I overturned it TWICE while running. The good news is, after about 2 minutes you're ready to go again. So I'm thinking that Timmons is going to deal with this all season.

Yeah because you tripping over a curb in your front yard and Timmons playing in the NFL and getting rolled up on by a 300 lb dlineman are pretty similar. :shock:

SidSmythe
10-27-2009, 06:13 PM

Yeah because you tripping over a curb in your front yard and Timmons playing in the NFL and getting rolled up on by a 300 lb dlineman are pretty similar. :shock:

Actually they are ... a whatever grade sprain, is a sprain. Just like breaking ur leg, it's either broken or it isn't
I was sprinting and rolled up my ankle ... the only difference is he gets better treatment than me :moon

sd steel
10-27-2009, 06:40 PM

Actually they are ... a whatever grade sprain, is a sprain. Just like breaking ur leg, it's either broken or it isn't
I was sprinting and rolled up my ankle ... the only difference is he gets better treatment than me :moon

Sorry to tell you but they aren't, especially a high ankle sprain. You twisting your ankle when you are running as opposed to an ankle having a couple 100 lbs of weight thrown on it in an unnatural position are 2 separate injuries. True they are both called sprains, but a runners sprain is normally where you stretch the ligaments, whereas what the NFL considers a sprain is when the elastic ligaments actually tear. Also a majority of NFL players also tape their ankles to prevent injuries from occuring, so imagine the amount of pressure that is put on a taped ankle to have them listed on the injury report. But if you think your sprained ankle is the same as Timmons then good for you.

skyhawk
10-27-2009, 06:51 PM
We're arguing sprains? :HeadBanger :wft

sd steel
10-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Sorry, slow day, but for someone to say they were bad mouthing Timmons because he sprain his ankle too and he healed up faster is pretty silly in my opinion. These guys play with more pain than anyone on this board could phathom. To equate an injury that happened in your front yard to one that happens on the NFL gridiron, unless you were hit by a car, is a true misjudgement by the poster.

skyhawk
10-27-2009, 07:02 PM

Sorry, slow day, but for someone to say they were bad mouthing Timmons because he sprain his ankle too and he healed up faster is pretty silly in my opinion. These guys play with more pain than anyone on this board could phathom. To equate an injury that happened in your front yard to one that happens on the NFL gridiron, unless you were hit by a car, is a true misjudgement by the poster.

I agree with you. It's comparing apples to oranges. Regardless, sprains just suck for anyone.

Sugar
10-27-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the info- I was wondering how he was doing and if they thought he'd be healthy to play against the Donkeys. With Troy banged up and Clark probably not playing, it would be good to have Timmons at least a little healthy.

Thank God for the bye.

SidSmythe
10-27-2009, 08:05 PM
[quote=SidSmythe]I picked on TIMMONS b/c the same week he sprained his ankle, I sprained mine while running!! I was back walking and felt fine in a week and I was picking on him.

Sorry to tell you but they aren't, especially a high ankle sprain. You twisting your ankle when you are running as opposed to an ankle having a couple 100 lbs of weight thrown on it in an unnatural position are 2 separate injuries. True they are both called sprains, but a runners sprain is normally where you stretch the ligaments, whereas what the NFL considers a sprain is when the elastic ligaments actually tear. Also a majority of NFL players also tape their ankles to prevent injuries from occuring, so imagine the amount of pressure that is put on a taped ankle to have them listed on the injury report. But if you think your sprained ankle is the same as Timmons then good for you.[/quote:2wcntr92]

Well he's in much better shape than me and had his ankle taped, I didn't. Plus the way I rolled it was a high ankle sprain, not a low ankle sprain.

ANYWAY, my original point is, ankle sprains just don't heal over a few weeks. Sometimes they take a year to get back to normal and they are at risk. But after the initial incident, you it's easier to deal with. :moon :moon :moon

Northern_Blitz
10-27-2009, 10:36 PM
So I'm thinking that Timmons is going to deal with this all season.

It might be that he has some recurrance of injury with the ankle he sprained earlier in the year. But, he said this injury is the other ankle. This is a new injury, not a nagging one.

SidSmythe
10-27-2009, 10:40 PM

It might be that he has some recurrance of injury with the ankle he sprained earlier in the year. But, he said this injury is the other ankle. This is a new injury, not a nagging one.

Wow, now that sucks.

sd steel
10-27-2009, 11:28 PM

Wow, now that sucks.

No if you read the article, "It’s a Grade 1 sprain, not a big deal, and it’s the other ankle from the one I hurt earlier in the season. I should come back faster than I did from that high ankle sprain. I should be able to make it back for the Denver game, which will be Nov. 9 on Monday Night Football."

It's a good thing that it was the other ankle. His first sprain was more serious because it was a high ankle sprain. There is a difference between a "strain" having to the muscles and the tendons, which you probably had, and a "sprain" having to do with damages to the ligaments. Also as far as sprains go, A "high" ankle sprain is an injury to the ligaments between the two major bones of the lower leg (Tibia and Fibula) at the level of the ankle.

A "high" (syndesmotic) ankle sprain is caused by an outward twisting of the foot and ankle. This is opposite of a typical ankle sprain where the foot and ankle are twisted inward. Football, soccer and basketball are the most common sports associated with a high ankle sprain.

Most players who have high ankle sprains are put in a boot much like a cast, and are out a minimum of 6-8 weeks. And there is your lesson regarding strains, sprains, and high ankle sprains class.

papillon
10-28-2009, 12:09 AM

Adrian Peterson gained 90% of his receiving yards and about 35% (I think) of his rushing yards after Timmons went out...just sayin It may be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Pappy

stlrz d
10-28-2009, 12:13 AM
[quote=SidSmythe]I picked on TIMMONS b/c the same week he sprained his ankle, I sprained mine while running!! I was back walking and felt fine in a week and I was picking on him.

Sorry to tell you but they aren't, especially a high ankle sprain. You twisting your ankle when you are running as opposed to an ankle having a couple 100 lbs of weight thrown on it in an unnatural position are 2 separate injuries. True they are both called sprains, but a runners sprain is normally where you stretch the ligaments, whereas what the NFL considers a sprain is when the elastic ligaments actually tear. Also a majority of NFL players also tape their ankles to prevent injuries from occuring, so imagine the amount of pressure that is put on a taped ankle to have them listed on the injury report. But if you think your sprained ankle is the same as Timmons then good for you.

Well he's in much better shape than me and had his ankle taped, I didn't. Plus the way I rolled it was a high ankle sprain, not a low ankle sprain.

ANYWAY, my original point is, ankle sprains just don't heal over a few weeks. Sometimes they take a year to get back to normal and they are at risk. But after the initial incident, you it's easier to deal with. :moon :moon :moon[/quote:1zmuee1n]

But he gets better treatment than you. :P

AngryAsian
10-28-2009, 05:16 AM

Adrian Peterson gained 90% of his receiving yards and about 35% (I think) of his rushing yards after Timmons went out...just sayin It may be a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Pappy

True... but it was KeyFox who had the pick 6 that sealed the game. I don't care about the statistics of the opposing team, except for one. A hash mark in the "loss column" for our opponents.

stlrz d
10-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Pappy

True... but it was KeyFox who had the pick 6 that sealed the game. I don't care about the statistics of the opposing team, except for one. A hash mark in the "loss column" for our opponents.

So that means Fox should start over Timmons?

I rewatched the game last night on NFLN Replay and Timmons was all over the place until he got hurt.

Troy and Timmons are by far the most versatile players on the defense and having them both on the field together as much as possible is invaluable.

They say football is like chess. For you chess players, just think about how many matches you would win if you had 2 queens on your side for every match.

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Pappy

So that means Fox should start over Timmons?

I rewatched the game last night on NFLN Replay and Timmons was all over the place until he got hurt.

Troy and Timmons are by far the most versatile players on the defense and having them both on the field together as much as possible is invaluable.

They say football is like chess. For you chess players, just think about how many matches you would win if you had 2 queens on your side for every match.

Who you callin' queens? :wink:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/16181/lawrence_timmons.jpg http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4ow2Juu7nMo/SPdcsBfoLjI/AAAAAAAAIgA/9Eu4hC_Oo-M/s400/troy+polamalu.jpg

NWNewell
10-28-2009, 03:49 PM

Pappy

Definitely don't think it was coincidence in regards to the receiving yards. So many check downs to AP right in front/behind the ILBers in the second half.