PDA

View Full Version : Do you sense that...

Oviedo
10-27-2009, 02:06 PM
the Steelers are getting to the point that they can almost turn a switch whenever they want to?

I started watching football in the mid 70s and the Steelers teams of that era just seemed to have the ability to liumber through games and then turn on a switch and dominate.

To my "seasoned" eye it almost seems like this version of the Steelers are almost getting to that level. Look how Ben seems to have the ability to play like crap for game and in the last 10 minutes look like the best QB ever to step on the field. The defense gets picked apart all day long and then 5 minutes to go they look like the freakin Great Wall of China and Favre beating his head against it.

Me thinks we are on the verge of another great era in Steelers football.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
The reverse is also true. They played well early against teams like Chicago, Cincy, San Diego, and Detroit, but then let their foot off the gas, losing two of those games and almost losing the other two.

sd steel
10-27-2009, 02:13 PM
the Steelers are getting to the point that they can almost turn a switch whenever they want to?

I started watching football in the mid 70s and the Steelers teams of that era just seemed to have the ability to liumber through games and then turn on a switch and dominate.

To my "seasoned" eye it almost seems like this version of the Steelers are almost getting to that level. Look how Ben seems to have the ability to play like crap for game and in the last 10 minutes look like the best QB ever to step on the field. The defense gets picked apart all day long and then 5 minutes to go they look like the freakin Great Wall of China and Favre beating his head against it.

Me thinks we are on the verge of another great era in Steelers football.

I see it as well, but I don't think we are on the verge, I think we were there sometime last season. Even though we have lost a couple of close ones, we are in every game, and I always feel confident that we will get the big play or make the big stop....and we have for the most part for the better part of 20 games or so. The chemistry has been clicking!

Oviedo
10-27-2009, 02:27 PM
The reverse is also true. They played well early against teams like Chicago, Cincy, San Diego, and Detroit, but then let their foot off the gas, losing two of those games and almost losing the other two.

Sometimes it is just a matter of getting a feel for the accelerator and how the car handles. Once you though look out.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 02:41 PM

Sometimes it is just a matter of getting a feel for the accelerator and how the car handles. Once you though look out.

One of these games, the offense is going to play a full 60 minutes, the defense is going to play a full 60 minutes, and the special teams will not give up any big plays (and may even contribute a big play themselves). I pity the poor team that runs into us that day (unless it is the Ravens, of course).

RockyMountainSteeler
10-27-2009, 02:56 PM

One of these games, the offense is going to play a full 60 minutes, the defense is going to play a full 60 minutes, and the special teams will not give up any big plays (and may even contribute a big play themselves). I pity the poor team that runs into us that day (unless it is the Ravens, of course).

I will be happy with wins and making adjustments to get better and not see that game until the Super Bowl. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

NC Steeler Fan
10-27-2009, 03:37 PM
Honestly?

A lot of times I think the Steelers play "up" or "down" to their opponents.

And, sometimes I think that when they are coming off good times like the SB, they almost expect the magic of winning to "win it for them"...and they get complacent.

I think they got complacent at cincy and chicago.

I think they played down to the stains and up to the vikings.

I think our team is talented but plays too emotionally some times...just like it's fans.

And, when we go "surgical" on an opponent (for those of you old enough think Landry's teams in the '70's in the last minutes of a game), we are unstoppable.

Just musings on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in the office...

ikestops85
10-27-2009, 03:55 PM
Honestly?

And, sometimes I think that when they are coming off good times like the SB, they almost expect the magic of winning to "win it for them"...and they get complacent.

I think they got complacent at cincy and chicago.

I think they played down to the stains and up to the vikings.

I think our team is talented but plays too emotionally some times...just like it's fans.

And, when we go "surgical" on an opponent (for those of you old enough think Landry's teams in the '70's in the last minutes of a game), we are unstoppable.

Just musings on a rainy Tuesday afternoon in the office...

+1

flippy
10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah, it's like they procrastinate. And finally decide they've got to play to get the win.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Trouble with that ^^^ approach is that it thins out the herd of Steeler fans ... too many coronaries and strokes.

Remember that dude who had a cardiac arrest when Bettis fumbled? I bet there's more of that than we know about, every Steeler game!!

steelblood
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't know. I really think our offense moves the ball well generally. But, we really don't score as much as we should. Our offensive line is playing pretty well, still they aren't close to dominating (effective at best). Our defense does well against the run. But, otherwise, they have been inconsistent. I do think our linebackers and safeties are capable of kicking it up a notch if they want to. Our d-line and corners? I don't feel quite as confident that they have another gear. Our special teams looked like a strength early in the season. Now, I get anxious every time we kickoff (short kicks and bad coverage) and don't feel that our return units block very well at all.

I don't know. I think this team is at a crossroads and the next two games will be huge challenges.

fezziwig
10-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't know if it is the coaches at times that throw the switch or the players. Seems like we have more aggressive plays or games at times.

Whatever the situation is, they better throw the switch up a notch against the Broncos, Bengals and Ravens.

The Bengals make me nervous the most. Carson is on fire, they have a heck of a good runningback and their receivers are dang good too.

jj28west
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
The super bowl run in '05 is where they really came together at the end. I will be honest that during that year 7 games in I would not have truly predicted a super bowl championship. I cant remember but that may have been the year that the Colts beat us pretty good on MNF.

The fact that we held the best runner in the league pretty much in check is encouraging without Smith.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-27-2009, 06:52 PM
The super bowl run in '05 is where they really came together at the end. I will be honest that during that year 7 games in I would not have truly predicted a super bowl championship. I cant remember but that may have been the year that the Colts beat us pretty good on MNF.

The fact that we held the best runner in the league pretty much in check is encouraging without Smith.

This is a HUGE point that hasn't maybe been emphasized a lot - without Smith. Incredible.

Sugar
10-27-2009, 07:34 PM

Yeah, they torched us pretty bad. It was for the best though as it gave us a preview of what to expect in the playoffs with the pumped in crowd noise and all. :wink:

JTP53609
10-28-2009, 08:21 AM
maybe I am on my own island here, but I dont think the defense looked like the great wall of china at the end of the game. Sure they made the big play when it mattered most, which was clutch, but as far as looking unstopable on defense, I dont think that was the case, Favre converted on two third and longs on that drive where woodley picked up the fumble, including a third and 18. thankfully we got a fluky interception as a gift from chestor taylor, or else who knows what they do. The defense made 2 big plays, but they were not dominant to the point where we had favre looking like a rookie, and I love Ben but he did not turn it on the last few minutes of the game, he looked out of it all game long, I believe he is the second best qb in football but he had a rough game (he is allowed), we were fortunate he did not throw an interception on the drive before halftime.........sorry for the negativity, not like me, im just sayin...

Slapstick
10-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Honestly?

I think that almost every team plays "up" for the Steelers...especially when they are defending SB champs...

Because of the greatness of the franchise and the reputation of physical football play that the Steelers have, I genuinely believe that Steelers opponents are more motivated than they would be against other teams...

JTP53609
10-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Honestly?

I think that almost every team plays "up" for the Steelers...especially when they are defending SB champs...

Because of the greatness of the franchise and the reputation of physical football play that the Steelers have, I genuinely believe that Steelers opponents are more motivated than they would be against other teams...

its like being a spoiled rotten child and dinner comes and it is filet migon with fancy potatoes and fresh veggies. The spoiled kid is hungry and looks forward to eating, but to him its just another meal.......The spoiled kid invites his little friend Billy over for dinner and Billy just about wets himself seeing all the fancy food and he is pumped and ready to eat..................

its basically just like that... :Clap