PDA

View Full Version : How impressive has Mike Wallace's rookie season been so far?

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Wallace is ranked #25 in the league among WR's in terms of receiving yards. Although he is our THIRD WR, he has more yards than the FIRST WR for 13 teams (Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, Buccanneers, Niners, and Rams).

Our third round pick has more receiving yards this season than celebrated veteran wideouts such as Jerricho Cotchery, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Laveranues Coles, Eddie Royal...and Nate Washington. Who said that we don't do a good job getting rookies involved?

His 21 catches for 368 yards (17.5 ypc average) and 2 TD's plus 3 carries for another 40 yards should put him in the lead for the NFL offensive rookie of the year (not merely the Joe Greene Award for the Steelers rookie of the year) at this point.

The challengers:

Percy Harvin (MIN) 23 catches for 285 yards (12.4 ypc) and 2 TD's plus 7 carries for 37 yards (and although special teams stats theoretically should not be taken into account for the offensive rookie of the year award, his 23 kick returns for 685 yards and 2 TD's will likely sway some voters in his direction)

Knowshon Moreno (DEN) 99 carries for 381 yards (3.8 avg) and 1 TD plus 9 catches for 68 yards (7.6 ypc) and 1 TD

Johnny Knox (CHI) 21 catches for 266 yards (12.7 ypc) and 3 TD's

RussBII
10-27-2009, 12:50 PM
I think Percy Harvin wins it, even if his stats are less than Wallace's. He's too visible and makes huge plays.

Also, don't discount Sanchez from winning it if he leads his team into the Playoffs.

-Russ

Oviedo
10-27-2009, 01:59 PM
Wallace is ranked #25 in the league among WR's in terms of receiving yards. Although he is our THIRD WR, he has more yards than the FIRST WR for 13 teams (Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Browns, Titans, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Lions, Panthers, Buccanneers, Niners, and Rams).

Our third round pick has more receiving yards this season than celebrated veteran wideouts such as Jerricho Cotchery, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Steve Smith (CAR), Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, Calvin Johnson, Lee Evans, Dwayne Bowe, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Laveranues Coles, Eddie Royal...and Nate Washington. Who said that we don't do a good job getting rookies involved?

His 21 catches for 368 yards (17.5 ypc average) and 2 TD's plus 3 carries for another 40 yards should put him in the lead for the NFL offensive rookie of the year (not merely the Joe Greene Award for the Steelers rookie of the year) at this point.

The challengers:

Percy Harvin (MIN) 23 catches for 285 yards (12.4 ypc) and 2 TD's plus 7 carries for 37 yards (and although special teams stats theoretically should not be taken into account for the offensive rookie of the year award, his 23 kick returns for 685 yards and 2 TD's will likely sway some voters in his direction)

Knowshon Moreno (DEN) 99 carries for 381 yards (3.8 avg) and 1 TD plus 9 catches for 68 yards (7.6 ypc) and 1 TD

Johnny Knox (CHI) 21 catches for 266 yards (12.7 ypc) and 3 TD's

I find it hard to believe that Wallace is doing better than the Great Nate Washington. IIRC it was widely reported on our forum that our odffense would take a step backward when he left.

BTW, how is the offense that Nate is now part of doing this year? I haven't been following them.

Jom112
10-27-2009, 02:39 PM
Hakeem Nicks will be in the mix as well: 16 rec, 315 yards and 4 TD's.

Considering he missed two games due to injury those numbers compare favorably towards the others.

Percy Harvin and Mike Wallace right now though would be my top 2. I loved Mike Wallace and Mike Thomas (WR - Jags) coming out of the draft. Sucks that you guys got one of them...

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Michael Oher has also been impressive for the :ratsuck but they aren't going to give an offensive rookie of the year award to a lineman. I really wanted to trade up for this guy when he fell into the 20's, and he's helped contribute to a resurgent offense in Baltimore. On a somewhat related side note, I saw a commercial for The Blind Side movie this week, and I did not realize that Sandra Bullock was signed on to play his adoptive mother.

SteelBucks
10-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Bustallace! :wink:

I'm kidding of course. The kid has everything you can ask for in a #3 WR.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-27-2009, 04:25 PM
It's hard for me to put this in words, but when I see Wallace make plays on the field, I get this feeling, "That's a STEELER". He seems to play with all his heart, as well as all his athletic skills. Sort of like Hines, or maybe Rocky Bleier from the old days?

Like I say, it's a hard thing to describe, but I just kind of feel like he's a good guy.

Sugar
10-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Mike has far surpassed any expectations I would have had for him this year. I thought that our draft was more about depth this year and building for the future. I'm glad to see the rook contribute so much so quickly.

steelblood
10-27-2009, 05:34 PM
He has exceeded expectations. I'm very impressed with his poise and understanding of the offense. It is nice that they picked a humble guy who is willing to work hard and study. By late this season or early next season, he'll be ready to spot start if we need him. That is a nice luxury to have.

I'd love to see them work Logan in as a slot receiver more. 1-3 touches a game from him on bubble screens, slants, etc. would be nice.

jj28west
10-27-2009, 07:08 PM
He has exceeded expectations. I'm very impressed with his poise and understanding of the offense. It is nice that they picked a humble guy who is willing to work hard and study. By late this season or early next season, he'll be ready to spot start if we need him. That is a nice luxury to have.

I'd love to see them work Logan in as a slot receiver more. 1-3 touches a game from him on bubble screens, slants, etc. would be nice.

Honestly,

Why cant they use him as a Welker out in space? Did anyone see this guy in Canada play? Maybe he has questionablee hands. Even an inside screen where he would get lost.

I know, I know I am

1) not in the huddle
2) in the team gameplan meetings
3) at practice
4) in BA's mad scientist mind

Nice breakdown Ruthless. I hope Holmes does not turn into a TO type and stays unselfish. How sweet would it be to have the third WR @ 800+ yards and 6+ TD's in his rookie season.

SteelAbility
10-28-2009, 07:38 AM
BTW, how is the offense that Nate is now part of doing this year? I haven't been following them.

I think their own fan base has stopped following them at this point. :wink:
Ever since Lendale stomped on the towel, they are 0-8 in meaningful games. Karma baby.

SteelAbility
10-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Bustallace! :wink:

I'm kidding of course. The kid has everything you can ask for in a #3 WR.

At season's end he will be Bustallass. 8)

Now Bustweed may just be for real!

MeetJoeGreene
10-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Just imagine how much more impressive he would have been if Ben hadn't underthrown him a couple of times.... he could have even more impressive numbers...

steelblood
10-28-2009, 08:14 AM

Honestly,

Why cant they use him as a Welker out in space? Did anyone see this guy in Canada play? Maybe he has questionablee hands. Even an inside screen where he would get lost.

I know, I know I am

1) not in the huddle
2) in the team gameplan meetings
3) at practice
4) in BA's mad scientist mind

Nice breakdown Ruthless. I hope Holmes does not turn into a TO type and stays unselfish. How sweet would it be to have the third WR @ 800+ yards and 6+ TD's in his rookie season.

Logan was a running back in Canada. As a running back, he was a good reciever.

AngryAsian
10-28-2009, 08:47 AM

Maybe our OC will figure out that this kid has great hands and get big chunks of yardage when given space. Hmmmm, passes out in the flat coming out of the backfield!!! Unbelievable!!! So easy an Asian Caveman can do it. :x

stlrz d
10-28-2009, 10:50 AM

I think their own fan base has stopped following them at this point. :wink:
Ever since Lendale stomped on the towel, they are 0-8. Karma baby.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Wolfhound45
10-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I am going to go against the grain here and say that I am not all that impressed with his play so far. What conference did he play for in college anyway? Seems kind of soft, like he has not faced any tough competition during his college career.

http://collegefabricstore.com/images/SEC-Logo.gif

http://media.commercialappeal.com/mca/content/img/photos/2008/09/20/21d5x.jpeg

Just kidding guys, just kidding.

:P

steelblood
10-28-2009, 01:28 PM

Maybe our OC will figure out that this kid has great hands and get big chunks of yardage when given space. Hmmmm, passes out in the flat coming out of the backfield!!! Unbelievable!!! So easy an Asian Caveman can do it. :x

I don't love him as a RB in our offense. I think in our offense a RB often has to chip and fill voids in blocking before releasing to the flat. I think he'd be a liability taking on LBers and Dlinemen. He could work as a second back in the backfield in shotgun (who could locate him behind the linemen until after he squirts past?). But, I think his real value is as a slot receiver in the 4 and 5 wide sets. Bubble screens, end arounds, slants, dumps, wheel routes, etc.

aggiebones
10-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Back to the original thread question:

Do they have a rookie ST award as well? If so, Harvin can have that and would likely be in the lead for it.
That would leave less comp for Wallace. If a guy does 2 things well and he's tied for someone else, I've seen them give the ST award to the dual player. Just a thought.
Hopefully Wallace builds on this campaign as well. He's gotten more involved in some games and less in others. Thus the life of a 3rd WR. Also, is Harvin the no.2 or 3 in Minn?

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Back to the original thread question:

Do they have a rookie ST award as well? If so, Harvin can have that and would likely be in the lead for it.
That would leave less comp for Wallace. If a guy does 2 things well and he's tied for someone else, I've seen them give the ST award to the dual player. Just a thought.
Hopefully Wallace builds on this campaign as well. He's gotten more involved in some games and less in others. Thus the life of a 3rd WR. Also, is Harvin the no.2 or 3 in Minn?

I believe that Sidney Rice and Bernard Berrian are the designated starters at WR there.

BURGH86STEEL
10-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Time will tell but Wallace appears to be a steal.

Oviedo
10-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Time will tell but Wallace appears to be a steal.

:Agree You can't teach fast. His receiving skills seem far advanced for the typical rookie.

fezziwig
10-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Wallace is going to go down in Steeler history as one of the steals or finds of the decade.
He plays smart, cacthes well, has speed, seems to be hungry for the yards even after contact and you can rely on him.
How many of you hold your breath or worry when the ball is passed to him or if he will drop the ball at some point ?

NorthCoast
10-28-2009, 09:33 PM
To put it in perspective, he has already passed Hines Ward, John Stallworth, Plaxico Burress, and Lynn Swann in their rookie years...and we are not even at the halfway point!

fezziwig
10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
To put it in perspective, he has already passed Hines Ward, John Stallworth, Plaxico Burress, and Lynn Swann in their rookie years...and we are not even at the halfway point!

Yes ! and he has to share the ball with two Super Bowl MVP's along with Heath Miller and etc.

I didn't get to finish my last post. I asked, how many of you worry about him not catching or making a drop ? I think many of us as fans have tons of confidence in this young guy already. If Tomlin insisted on Sweed, how many of us would have been screaming to the high heavens by now ?

This Wallace kid looks like a super star in the making. And again, he is doing all this in competition with Hines, Santonio the SB MVP's and Miller. Not too Shabby.

AngryAsian
10-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Mike Wallace = young Steve Smith (Panthers)

RussBII
10-29-2009, 10:23 AM

My goodness I hope not....

I'd rather not he start swinging at teammates.

Tomlinator
10-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I like Wallace. Looks like he has been paying attention and gives max effort every time he's out there.

Not only does he stretch the field, he also has shown an ability to make catches where he has to slide or dig them off the turf.

Of course, he has a long way to go to outdo our last great #17 - Tee Martin. What memories he gave us!

Veering OT a bit -the next two QBs taken in the Martin draft - Marc Bulger, Tom Brady.

Jom112
10-29-2009, 11:38 AM

I would say more Lee Evans or Santana Moss than Steve Smith.

Percy Harvin reminds me of Steve Smith...

ikestops85
10-29-2009, 12:12 PM

I would say more Lee Evans or Santana Moss than Steve Smith.

Percy Harvin reminds me of Steve Smith...

I don't know of any other receiver that reminds me of Steve Smith. That guy is just tenacious going after a ball ... something I wish Steeler receivers were better at doing.

Wallace reminds me of a Steeler receiver from days gone bye -- John Stallworth. Although much faster than Stallworth he has that same long flowing stride and he makes it look effortless catching a ball. I hope to see that comparison continue. :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
10-29-2009, 12:30 PM
What about comparing him to recent Hall of Fame inductee Bullet Bob Hayes? Both are world-class speed demons who could also catch well (unlike some other sprinters who tried to become NFL wideouts), roughly the same size (Hayes 5-11 185, Wallace 6-0 199), and are big plays waiting to happen.

stlrz d
10-29-2009, 12:42 PM
Here's one for the older crowd...he's a few inches shorter, but he reminds me of James Lofton.

Smooth strider, good body control and nice hands...but he's faster.

ikestops85
10-29-2009, 12:58 PM
Here's one for the older crowd...he's a few inches shorter, but he reminds me of James Lofton.

:Agree

That's also a good comparison. :Cheers

stlrz d
10-29-2009, 01:08 PM

That comparison gets me excited actually. When we first moved to WI in '79 of course I was seeing the Packers every week...and I remember Lofton just being hell for defenses to contain. And the Packers were crappy back then. He was putting up 1300 yard seasons for those crappy Packers teams.

Oviedo
10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1rut91bi]Here's one for the older crowd...he's a few inches shorter, but he reminds me of James Lofton.

That comparison gets me excited actually. When we first moved to WI in '79 of course I was seeing the Packers every week...and I remember Lofton just being hell for defenses to contain. And the Packers were crappy back then. He was putting up 1300 yard seasons for those crappy Packers teams.[/quote:1rut91bi]

A faster Louis Lipps??????