PDA

View Full Version : Much to like about this defensive effort

fordfixer
10-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Much to like about this defensive effort
By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer, dlolley@observer-reporter.com
http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/loc ... ngs-column (http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/localsports/10-26-Steelers-Vikings-column)

PITTSBURGH - Needing to make a statement against a very good offense, the Steelers defense proved that not only is it capable of slamming the door at the end of a game, it's adept at putting points on the board.

Even more impressive than Pittsburgh's two fourth-quarter defensive touchdowns in Sunday's 27-17 victory over Minnesota was the goal-line stand that preceded it.

Midway through the third quarter with the Steelers clinging to a 13-7 lead, Minnesota quarterback Brett Favre connected with Sidney Rice for a 34-yard gain before he was tripped up by safety Troy Polamalu inside the one-yard line.

Nose tackle Casey Hampton was then penalized for lining up offsides - his helmet was in the neutral zone - for the third time in the game. That moved the ball within a couple of inches of the goal line.

With running back Adrian Peterson - a player Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin this week called the best football player in the world - in the backfield, it seemed almost certain the Vikings would take the lead.

The Vikings gave the ball to Peterson on first down. He was dropped for a loss by linebackers Keyaron Fox and James Farrior.

Apparently, that was sufficient enough evidence for the Minnesota coaching staff that Peterson, who had 12 carries for 33 yards at that point, was not going to pound his way into the end zone.

Favre attempted a pair of play-action passes on second and third downs, the first to Rice, then one to tight end Jim Kleinsasser. Neither was completed and the Vikings kicked an 18-yard field goal.

Instead of taking a 14-13 lead, the Vikings trailed 13-10.

"I think it's a testament to our defense that you have the best running back in the world and you throw two passes on second and third down from about the half-yard line," said Steelers safety Ryan Clark.

It also helped set the stage for LaMarr Woodley's 77-yard fumble return for a touchdown after a Brett Keisel sack and strip of Favre, and Fox's 82-yard interception return for a score in the fourth quarter.

Because Minnesota was sure it couldn't run consistently against the Steelers, even with Peterson, Favre threw 51 passes in a game that was a one-score contest until Fox's touchdown with 1:15 remaining.

As often happens to road teams in the NFL when they try to throw the ball a lot, mistakes happen.

The Steelers had been struggling to finish opponents off in the fourth quarters this season. A defense that was No. 1 in the NFL in just about every statistic last year had shown an inability to hold second-half leads.

With Minnesota's potent running attack limited, the Steelers knew they could start teeing off on Favre.

"It was like everybody forgot that this defense can play," said safety Ryan Clark. "We've got pride. It's not ego; it's pride. We didn't like that coming into this game, everybody was saying it was going to be a shootout. As much as you're saying something good about our offense, you're saying something negative about our defense."

There haven't been many negatives over the past two weeks as the defense finished off Cleveland and Minnesota in back-to-back games.

"We're getting to the point that we're playing to the level that we're capable of making plays when they're needed," said linebacker James Harrison.

On Sunday, they put the league on notice.

JTP53609
10-27-2009, 12:31 PM
well like i said they had a nice defensive stand in the third qtr, holding the vikings to a field goal when they had first and goal from the 1....BUT...if cheser taylor catches the screen pass and runs like how it was drawn up, than I think that the vikings get closer and eventually score, but it was lucky fluky bonce that wound up in Fox's hands and run back the other way. Even if Taylor just drops it, than we are not singing the praises but complaining over a fourth qtr meltdown again...... :stirpot

ikestops85
10-27-2009, 01:31 PM
While the defense made some big plays it was far from dominate against the Vikings. They allowed two 13 play and one 17 play drives in that game. They are having a hard time getting off the field. Was anyone else watching just knowing that Minny would make that 3rd and 18. That is a backbreaker in this league.

I'd feel better if it were 3rd and 1 versus 3rd and 5 or longer. We would have a better chance of stopping them. Does anyone know what the opponents 3rd down conversion percentage is? I'd be willing to bet it's pretty high.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I think there is still a lot of work for this defense to do before it is back to last year's standard. Of course the good news is we are 5-2 and we don't want to peak too early.
:tt2

NW Steeler
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM
Favre threw a lot of passes that were impossible to defend. That happens. But it seems that there were a lot of missed tackles, and have been a lot of them this year. Yes, there have been some bone-jarring hits as well, but I'm tired of seeing guys slip thru tackles (Gay)..and I'm not talking about him getting trucked by AP, he does that to everyone. Our pass defense is nowhere close to where it was last year. It would be nice to see a CB with some ball skills. Maybe we are still a work in progress.

skyhawk
10-27-2009, 03:15 PM
While the defense made some big plays it was far from dominate against the Vikings. They allowed two 13 play and one 17 play drives in that game. They are having a hard time getting off the field. Was anyone else watching just knowing that Minny would make that 3rd and 18. That is a backbreaker in this league.

I'd feel better if it were 3rd and 1 versus 3rd and 5 or longer. We would have a better chance of stopping them. Does anyone know what the opponents 3rd down conversion percentage is? I'd be willing to bet it's pretty high.

I don't want to be all doom and gloom but I think there is still a lot of work for this defense to do before it is back to last year's standard. Of course the good news is we are 5-2 and we don't want to peak too early.

Yep. Their inability to get off the field is a poor sign. The Vikes had the ball for 37 minutes. I am a little nervous about this D's ability to keep teams from scoring like they did last year.

This D is starting to look like the D in 2001 that gave up 400+ passing yards to Gannon and Kitna, and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Cornerback play needs to step up. Gay is a serious liablility right now and he played scared the entire game.

NC Steeler Fan
10-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Geezus, maybe I am full of chit, but we held Peterson to 69 yards.

We did something freakin' great on defense.

And, our line actually did it's job this game against a premier front four on Defense. How come no one is focused on that?

Man, we ARE spoiled!!! :lol:

NW Steeler
10-27-2009, 04:13 PM

Yep. Their inability to get off the field is a poor sign. The Vikes had the ball for 37 minutes. I am a little nervous about this D's ability to keep teams from scoring like they did last year.

This D is starting to look like the D in 2001 that gave up 400+ passing yards to Gannon and Kitna, and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Cornerback play needs to step up. Gay is a serious liablility right now and he played scared the entire game.

They only gave up 10 points to the Vike's offense. Our scattershot offense did not help out our D last Sunday. We had no sustained drives besides the no huddle at the end of the first half.I agree that our passing D looks more like the 01' version than last year, and that Gay has looked pretty substandard thus far.

flippy
10-27-2009, 04:17 PM
We shut down the run without Aaron Smith.

NW Steeler
10-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Top ten in O and D, not too shabby I guess! I just don't like seeing the Pats above us in total D.

Sugar
10-27-2009, 07:46 PM
On D we had to pick our poison and we chose correctly, IMO. I would much rather have had Favre passing all over the place while we sold out to defend the run. You know that when a guy drops back that much that he's gonna give up at least one or two.

We held AP to less than 70 yards rushing with our best run stuffer on AR. That's big to me. I'm probably most proud that they did the damage in the 4th quarter though. With all the talk of letting games get away, they served notice that they could play 60 minutes on one of the leagues top Offenses.