PDA

View Full Version : Play Limas Sweed

Slapstick
10-26-2009, 12:57 PM
Limas Sweed plays special teams very well...McDonald does not...

In the last two games, McDonald has 0 catches for 0 yards...

In the last two games, the Steelers have allowed two long kick returns...

Maybe Sweed can't catch the ball, but he can apparently stay in his lane...

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I never even knew Sweed played on special teams. I don't think his name has ever been called. Do you really think Sweed would have made a difference on those kick returns?

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Agreed. Your 4th WR should play special teams, which Sweed does and McDonald does not. In terms of offense, neither guy should see the field all that much except in case of injury, even in long yardage passing situations, because neither of them will usurp our top 3 WR's right now, plus I wouldn't want to take out a weapon like Heath Miller for a 4th WR right now, and I like having Mewelde Moore out there in those circumstances to be able to block for Ben and/or provide a dump-off option for him as well.

Our best offensive grouping by far right now (whether it is 1st down or 3rd and long) is 11 personnel with Mendenhall as the lone back on 1st and 2nd down and Moore as the lone back on 3rd down, with Heath at TE, Holmes and Wallace out wide, and Hines in the slot. We can run out of it, we can throw out of it.

I was pushing for a fullback earlier in the year, but I realize that Mendenhall and Moore seem to run better without a FB (except in short yardage situations, where a strong blocking FB like D.J. Johnson would be beneficial)...if Willie were still the starter, this would not be the case, since his success seems to be tied to the use of an effective fullback.

Slapstick
10-26-2009, 03:18 PM
I never even knew Sweed played on special teams. I don't think his name has ever been called. Do you really think Sweed would have made a difference on those kick returns?

Well, they haven't called his name because he hasn't been out on the field. Tomlin stated that the determination of who would be active between McDonald and Sweed would be based on whether or not he felt that the Steelers needed Limas on special teams...

Well, guess what?

It only takes one player out of his lane to allow a big return....

Is it coincidence that he's been inactive in two games where KOs have been returned for TDs? Possibly...however, I would say that the Steelers need all the help on special teams that they can muster at this point...

SteelAbility
10-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Never paid attention to Sweed's play on STs. That being said, I think Sweed is a great option ... in garbage time. :stirpot

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 03:33 PM

Well, they haven't called his name because he hasn't been out on the field. Tomlin stated that the determination of who would be active between McDonald and Sweed would be based on whether or not he felt that the Steelers needed Limas on special teams...

Well, guess what?

It only takes one player out of his lane to allow a big return....

Is it coincidence that he's been inactive in two games where KOs have been returned for TDs? Possibly...however, I would say that the Steelers need all the help on special teams that they can muster at this point...

I do agree we need help on special teams ... I just don't think Sweed is the answer. He has all of zero career tackles and he just doesn't seem to me to be the kind of guy who will play with reckless abandon on special teams.

Slapstick
10-26-2009, 03:40 PM
I do agree we need help on special teams ... I just don't think Sweed is the answer. He has all of zero career tackles and he just doesn't seem to me to be the kind of guy who will play with reckless abandon on special teams.

I didn't praise his special teams ability...Tomlin did...

That being said, he's been inactive for the last two weeks and in those two weeks, the Steelers gave up KO returns for TDs...

Whether or not you think he's the kind of guy to play with reckless abandon isn't relevant (no offense meant). After all, what good is reckless abandon if you don't stay in your freaking lane?

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 03:52 PM

I didn't praise his special teams ability...Tomlin did...

That being said, he's been inactive for the last two weeks and in those two weeks, the Steelers gave up KO returns for TDs...

Whether or not you think he's the kind of guy to play with reckless abandon isn't relevant (no offense meant). After all, what good is reckless abandon if you don't stay in your freaking lane?

I wish staying in your lane was the only problem. On Harvin's return he ran right between 2 steelers who if they had reached out could have touched each other. They stayed in their lanes ... as Harvin ran right between them. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

aggiebones
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
Tomlin is still making his point with Sweed. He doesn't get ANY time until he proves something that Tomlin is looking for. When he does, he'll maybe become active and get time on ST though I can't see him helping much there. Tomlin is looking towards next year with Sweed. He needs a major swing to become long term plans. I think he's being smart, don't just give a guy a spot. If he's got potential, making his use some of it and not just be average with a big contract. Time will tell if Sweed can right himself. But keeps his arse on the pine until Tomlin or whoever feels justified in playing him. And I think Sweed on STs would do nothing for us.

NorthCoast
10-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Sigh....why is it that players riding pine are always the ones being touted to get on the field? If Limas showed Tomlin ANYTHING that merits more play time he strikes me as a coach that would have no reservations about this. He clearly has not seen this from Limas and therefore Limas is not seeing the field....end of story.

SidSmythe
10-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Why not put Wallace out there instead???
As I recall Hines Ward started out playing special teams, Wallace seems like a "can do" type of guy, so why not let him make some plays.

SteelCrazy
10-26-2009, 07:27 PM
Agreed. Your 4th WR should play special teams, which Sweed does and McDonald does not. In terms of offense, neither guy should see the field all that much except in case of injury, even in long yardage passing situations, because neither of them will usurp our top 3 WR's right now, plus I wouldn't want to take out a weapon like Heath Miller for a 4th WR right now, and I like having Mewelde Moore out there in those circumstances to be able to block for Ben and/or provide a dump-off option for him as well.

Our best offensive grouping by far right now (whether it is 1st down or 3rd and long) is 11 personnel with Mendenhall as the lone back on 1st and 2nd down and Moore as the lone back on 3rd down, with Heath at TE, Holmes and Wallace out wide, and Hines in the slot. We can run out of it, we can throw out of it.

I was pushing for a fullback earlier in the year, but I realize that Mendenhall and Moore seem to run better without a FB (except in short yardage situations, where a strong blocking FB like D.J. Johnson would be beneficial...if Willie were still the starter, this would not be the case, since his success seems to be tied to the use of an effective fullback.

I hate to get off topic here, but why haven't we had Heath lineup as the fullback and DJ on the line? Heath is way better at blocking........

Slapstick
10-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Sigh....why is it that players riding pine are always the ones being touted to get on the field? If Limas showed Tomlin ANYTHING that merits more play time he strikes me as a coach that would have no reservations about this. He clearly has not seen this from Limas and therefore Limas is not seeing the field....end of story.

Because:

#1 = He plays special teams well and the Steelers have given up two long kick returns with him on the bench

#2 = His replacement has 0 catches for 0 yards

What is so difficult to understand?

JAR
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM

Because:

#1 = He plays special teams well and the Steelers have given up two long kick returns with him on the bench

Andre Frazier has missed the last two games with a thigh bruise. I believe he is the reason there have been two kick returns.

Slapstick
10-27-2009, 01:29 PM
Andre Frazier has missed the last two games with a thigh bruise. I believe he is the reason there have been two kick returns.

I'm not saying Frazier isn't the reason...

I'm merely saying that if you have given up two long kick returns, don't you want good special teams players to be active on game day?

I guess they will be losing McDonald's production(?), but I'd rather stop the returns...

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 01:45 PM

I was pushing for a fullback earlier in the year, but I realize that Mendenhall and Moore seem to run better without a FB (except in short yardage situations, where a strong blocking FB like D.J. Johnson would be beneficial...if Willie were still the starter, this would not be the case, since his success seems to be tied to the use of an effective fullback.

I hate to get off topic here, but why haven't we had Heath lineup as the fullback and DJ on the line? Heath is way better at blocking........

While Heath Miller (6-5 256) is good at sealing the edge as a blocker, D.J. Johnson (6-2 260) is better as a lead blocker in short yardage situations. With Miller being 3 inches taller, it would be more difficult for him to get low on a linebacker trying to fill the hole. Johnson fits that fullback/H-back type role better, just like the 3rd TE last year, Sean McHugh, did before him.

steelblood
10-28-2009, 09:23 PM
I know Limas plays on punt coverage. But, I don't remember him playing of kick coverage. Does anyone have any evidence or recollection of him on such a unit?

True Fan
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Because:

sweed sucks on offense and special teams, that should be easy to understand. as a matter of fact, i have as many tackles a sweed does, and just a couple less catches, but alot fewer drops and fumbles......hell, with that rational. i should start