PDA

View Full Version : Is Woodley really playing as bad as he looks?

NWNewell
10-26-2009, 10:17 AM
I know he had the TD runback yesterday, but besides that... he looked pretty poor yesterday and all year.

I've been kind of shrugging off his lack of sacks figuring that Woodley and Harrison are getting extra attention and without Troy back there, the QB's were getting the ball out half a second faster. So, that was why Woodley was simply getting "pressures" but not "sacks". I was figuring they would come, and they still may. But he has not looked good in other areas either.

He seems to be missing quite a few tackles (I think at least three yesterday, and not on AP). The one sack Harrison had, Woodley had a shot and blew right by Farve, and Harrison caught him from behind. There was another open field tackle he wiffed on and Farrior made the tackle. That is something I can't shrug off.

Am I wrong?

anger 82&95
10-26-2009, 10:39 AM
He seems somewhat out of shape this year.

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 10:49 AM
I thought Wood played a good game yesterday. His best of the season so far. I agree he started out slow but he has been improving the last couple of games.

Oviedo
10-26-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Woodleys biggest problem is he is a bull rusher who charges out of control. That makes it easy to side setep him. It is a correctable problem. I actually thought he played his best game of the season yesterday.

Captain Lemming
10-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Pick any stat. Put THREE Lamar Woodleys on the field, and the treo are not as productive as ONE Harrison. And Jame gets held all day long.

Im not talking just the 4 times the number of sacks James has, Harrison has 41 tackles, Lamar has only 14. James is good, but that disparity is ridiculous.

frankthetank1
10-26-2009, 11:29 AM
maybe his first two seasons went to his head. im sure woodley will pick it up as the season progresses. he is still a very young player. he should of had that sack in the first quarter on farve's pa pass. they dont come any easier than that one

NWNewell
10-26-2009, 11:35 AM
I think Woodleys biggest problem is he is a bull rusher who charges out of control. That makes it easy to side setep him. It is a correctable problem. I actually thought he played his best game of the season yesterday.

He had 1 tackle and 1 assist. I think I saw him miss twice as many tackles. And I don't think he was doing it in pass defense coverage since Farve had a 66% completion percentage mostly on check downs and underneath stuff with almost 40% of his passes going to TE and RB's.

If that was Woodley's best game, I guess I rest my case. :?

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 12:23 PM
when he scored yesterday it just looked like he had a big smile of relief on his face, and i dont think it was because he farted, i think it was because he finally realized he made a big play on defense, maybe it will get the ball rolling for him....

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 12:27 PM
I thought yesterday was his best game this seaon and not just because of the TD. I think that potbelly is causing his play to slip.

BradshawsHairdresser
10-26-2009, 01:08 PM
I know he had the TD runback yesterday, but besides that... he looked pretty poor yesterday and all year.

I've been kind of shrugging off his lack of sacks figuring that Woodley and Harrison are getting extra attention and without Troy back there, the QB's were getting the ball out half a second faster. So, that was why Woodley was simply getting "pressures" but not "sacks". I was figuring they would come, and they still may. But he has not looked good in other areas either.

He seems to be missing quite a few tackles (I think at least three yesterday, and not on AP). The one sack Harrison had, Woodley had a shot and blew right by Farve, and Harrison caught him from behind. There was another open field tackle he wiffed on and Farrior made the tackle. That is something I can't shrug off.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong.

Although there have been a few plays the last couple of games when he has shown some signs of life, Woodley has otherwise been a dud this season. He is playing like someone who signed a big, fat, multiyear contract ...in other words, he doesn't seem to be playing with the same kind of hunger that he displayed his first two years. Maybe part of it has to do with gaining too much weight, or maybe he is nursing some kind of injury...I do know this, if he was playing like he played down the stretch last season, you would see a huge improvement in our defense.

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 02:01 PM
When does Woodleys contract come due ?

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 02:35 PM

He is signed through this season and next season as well.

SteelAbility
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong.

Although there have been a few plays the last couple of games when he has shown some signs of life, Woodley has otherwise been a dud this season. He is playing like someone who signed a big, fat, multiyear contract ...in other words, he doesn't seem to be playing with the same kind of hunger that he displayed his first two years. Maybe part of it has to do with gaining too much weight, or maybe he is nursing some kind of injury...I do know this, if he was playing like he played down the stretch last season, you would see a huge improvement in our defense.

Personally, I think Woodley would perform much better at about 15 pounds lighter. I think he would take a small hit in strength (if he does it right under the guidance of a nutritionist) which would be more than compensated for in quickness and speed.

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Thanks for the answer. I wonder since he is not having in our fans eyes a stellar year that, the Steelers will be able to sign him at a fair price ?

I'm not ready to say he isn't worth having around. Woodley last season and all of Kevin Greens time is the only time our linebackers did well on that side of the defense.
Hagan showed a glimps here and there while Gildon had quarterbacks fall into his bodycast arms.

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the answer. I wonder since he is not having in our fans eyes a stellar year that, the Steelers will be able to sign him at a fair price ?

I'm not ready to say he isn't worth having around. Woodley last season and all of Kevin Greens time is the only time our linebackers did well on that side of the defense.
Hagan showed a glimps here and there while Gildon had quarterbacks fall into his bodycast arms.

I guess you never saw Jack Ham play :wink:
:D

NWNewell
10-26-2009, 03:15 PM

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm not ready to ship him out of town by any means. But he just really seems to be playing poorly so far this season. I don't know if it's the weight or what. He has skills and is a good LB. But I he's definitely underachieving for sure. That is kind of why my (and other's) opinions are so hard on him. He's got talent and we expect a certain level of play out of him. If you don't have the talent and are doing all you can and over achieving, then there is no shame in that. But that is not Woodley's case. He's got tremendous ability and needs to get it together. I hope he and the coaches are working to correct whatever kind of funk he is in.

Captain Lemming
10-26-2009, 05:04 PM

I guess you never saw Jack Ham play :wink:
:D

Never saw Ham in a base 3/4 defense. The job is different.

skyhawk
10-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Woodley hasn't played as well as last year. But opposing teams start to learn how to defend him. He is not a newbie anymore and OL players study their opponents technique. Give the other teams some credit.

flippy
10-26-2009, 06:14 PM
He went through a bad stint last year too and we later found out he was playing hurt.

I suspect some of the same.

I also think we've dropped him into coverage a little more without Troy.

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes I did see Ham play, he could also be considered one of the greatest. I'm speaking of the 3-4 defense.