PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Formations

flippy
10-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Can anyone explain the rationale behind the rules for an illegal formation?

I know there has to be 7 guys on the LOS, but why?

Is there a particular problem with more or less guys on the LOS?

I really don't get the issue with WRs far from the snap....why does it matter where they line up?

And why can't linemen line up behind the LOS?

I know the rules. But I never really understood the reasoning behind them.

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
yea i get the rules, but the reasoning behind the rules ehh.....but let me be the first to congraduate MR. WILLIAM COLON..no penalties yesterday against a monster front four, way to go, we knew you could do it...

steelblood
10-26-2009, 10:47 AM
They were also very successful running behind Colon yesterday. He has played well and may deserve a nice contract.

steelsnis
10-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Gives an unfair advantage to the O-line when the tackles line up behind the LOS. It basically creates a "pocket" for the QB w/o having to backpedal.

flippy
10-26-2009, 11:13 AM
Gives an unfair advantage to the O-line when the tackles line up behind the LOS. It basically creates a "pocket" for the QB w/o having to backpedal.

What about everyone else? The receivers or 3rd TEs?

flippy
10-26-2009, 11:14 AM
And why not allow 10 guys to line up on the LOS?

sd steel
10-26-2009, 11:45 AM
Why can't you win in Black Jack with a 23? Its the rules.

RockyMountainSteeler
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM
It declares to the defense (and officials) who is eligable to leave the line of scrimmage to go out on pass plays. That what I have gotten from the rules.

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Can anyone explain the rationale behind the rules for an illegal formation?

I know there has to be 7 guys on the LOS, but why?

Is there a particular problem with more or less guys on the LOS?

I really don't get the issue with WRs far from the snap....why does it matter where they line up?

And why can't linemen line up behind the LOS?

I know the rules. But I never really understood the reasoning behind them.

I must admit I have wondered the same thing on many occasion. I'm really not sure what purpose those rules serve. But then again I tend to drink beer while watching football and by the Sunday night game have been known to have solved several of the world's problems. :Cheers

flippy
10-26-2009, 06:47 PM
I've just never wondered why this rule is what it is? I'm sure some old timer has to know.

I've always just accepted it's a rule, but there must be a reason behind it.

Oh and on blackjack, 2 cards couldn't add up to 23 and there's only 4 Aces in the deck so 22 wouldn't be fun. That makes sense to me.

There has to be some reasoning to the 7 men on the LOS.

SidSmythe
10-26-2009, 07:05 PM
Maybe you should watch the Canadian Football League or flag football.

Imagine the stupid formations some coaches would come up with.
the offense already has enough advantage.

birtikidis
10-26-2009, 08:14 PM
as one poster stated having the OL on the LOS prevents a pre snap pocket. the WR have to declare themselves as either eligible or ineligible targerts prior to the snap.

stlrz d
10-26-2009, 10:40 PM
It declares to the defense (and officials) who is eligable to leave the line of scrimmage to go out on pass plays. That what I have gotten from the rules.

This is the correct response.

plainnasty
10-27-2009, 10:26 PM
Before the rule over 100 years ago, teams used to have their linemen line up in the backfield which allowed them to get a running start and build up momentum toward the defensive linemen. The defensive player's most effective way of taking on the charging lineman was to dive at their knees. This led to too many serious injuries so they made the rule that 7 players had to be line up on the line of scrimmage.