PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Ryan Clark?

steelsnis
10-25-2009, 10:52 PM
He's got two weeks to decide. What do you think, does he play in Denver???

If he doesn't, can Carter play Free Safety or does Mundy get the nod?

Or maybe Scott Shields has a free weekend?

spyboots
10-25-2009, 10:58 PM
It's not worth risking his health/life for.

pfelix73
10-25-2009, 11:01 PM
Troy hinted in an interview after the game that Ryan is leaning on staying home.

I'll be surprised if he goes....

:tt1

papillon
10-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I hope he chooses wisely and stays home; the Steelers have won w/o Troy they can win a game w/o Ryan.

Pappy

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 07:41 AM
i say stay......

but if he were drafted by the broncos, than i guess he would not be a pro football player than, he would not have played in denver and he may have landed on a roster somewhere but the odds would have been agaisnt him....i surprised more players dont get affected by this too..

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I understand that Clarke's life is at risk if he exerts himself at high altitude. I think the Steelers should inactivate him for the game, if only from a humanity point of view.

This would also avoid a public relations disaster if he were to die, or have serious injury as a result of his sickle trait. Can you imagine the media if the Steelers sent him out on the field and this happened?

I sure hope if we meet Denver in the playoffs it's in the 'burgh ...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-26-2009, 08:28 AM
Stay home Clark!

Oviedo
10-26-2009, 08:32 AM
Interesting situation amy arise looking ahead that we did not comprehend when the season started. If Denver continues to play well, we may have to go there for a play off game also. Not having your starting free safety for two games against a good team is a big obstacle to overcome.

We need to draft a safety early in next year's draft whether we resign Clark or not.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 08:48 AM
What about Santonio? He also has sickle cell. Do you leave him in Pittsburgh, counting on Hines and Wallace to start, with Sweed and McDonald sharing snaps as the 3rd WR? Just asking...

steelfin
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
Stay home...and agree with Oviedo....We need to draft a safety next year....

We have no depth at the position and could use more playmakers in the secondary in general....

MeetJoeGreene
10-26-2009, 08:49 AM
This game is one thing... but what about the (distinct) possibility if Denver HOSTS us in a playoff game???????

pfelix73
10-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Sweed Who?

:tt1

As someone pointed out Limas stands for Lame As$.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-26-2009, 09:28 AM
This game is one thing... but what about the (distinct) possibility if Denver HOSTS us in a playoff game???????

Yes, that is what I was saying in my post above. I think it's a no-brainer - you sit Clark and play the best with the players you have.

SAH has sickle trait also? I read this AM that 1/10 blacks have it. I wonder if there is any way to test at sea level how playing at Denver would affect him. Better to lose him for a game than a season.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 09:52 AM

Yes, that is what I was saying in my post above. I think it's a no-brainer - you sit Clark and play the best with the players you have.

SAH has sickle trait also? I read this AM that 1/10 blacks have it. I wonder if there is any way to test at sea level how playing at Denver would affect him. Better to lose him for a game than a season.

Yes, Santonio has the sickle cell trait as well. I'm not sure how severe his condition is, but I believe his son has a pretty severe case. He does a whole bunch of fund-raising for sickle-cell charities in the off-season in his son's name.

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 09:58 AM
No one should fault him for not going to Denver.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
No one should fault him for not going to Denver.

"They shot me in Denver!" -Joey Porter :P

skyhawk
10-26-2009, 06:15 PM
Not all athletes are affected with high altitude excerise.

Clark is a world class athlete and would be better than most regular folks in this dilemma. I wonder if Clark has any experience at high altitude playing? It might turn into hell for his spleen. He certainly doesn't want a splenic infarction. I would stay home too. Only he knows if he is capable of it.

NorCal-Steeler
10-26-2009, 07:33 PM
wasnt his spleen removed last time??

They should just sue denver for discrimination and make all games played at visitors stadiums. :stirpot

skyhawk
10-26-2009, 07:42 PM
wasnt his spleen removed last time??

They should just sue denver for discrimination and make all games played at visitors stadiums. :stirpot

LOL.

Not sure if his spleen was removed. I guess that would make things even worse?

Shoe
10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
If there is any substantial risk, stay home. I don't care if it's Clark, Santonio, Ben, Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene.... it's not worth it.

I thought this was about his future with us--I was about to say that I totally love and respect his contribution as a Steeler. The guy has been tremendous. But if it's time to see him go (as, it would be difficult to pay top-dollar to both starting Safeties), then good-bye... but mad respect.

stlrz d
10-26-2009, 10:37 PM
What about Santonio? He also has sickle cell. Do you leave him in Pittsburgh, counting on Hines and Wallace to start, with Sweed and McDonald sharing snaps as the 3rd WR? Just asking...

It's not just the Sickle Cell...Clark also lacks a spleen.

Oviedo
10-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I think Clark needs to make a decision for what he thinks is best for him however if that is not playing then I think the Steelers should not resign him. I'm not being harsh here but potentially your starting free safety could be opting out of two games (one regular season and one potential playoff) because they are in denver.

I don't see how the Steelers (or anyone else) could logically consider extending him when denver becomes a "no play zone" for him. That forces the team to get an equal or almost equal replacement for the free safety position. If you can do that why would you tie up several years of a relatively high salary to resign Clark versus drafting a top safety in Round 1 of the draft or signing another FA like you did Clark.

Tough situation for Clark. I hope he does play and is healthy. I thought we had established once that when he had the surgery done he had the organs effected by this removed. Not sure why it is still a problem.

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I think Clark needs to make a decision for what he thinks is best for him however if that is not playing then I think the Steelers should not resign him. I'm not being harsh here but potentially your starting free safety could be opting out of two games (one regular season and one potential playoff) because they are in denver.

I don't see how the Steelers (or anyone else) could logically consider extending him when denver becomes a "no play zone" for him. That forces the team to get an equal or almost equal replacement for the free safety position. If you can do that why would you tie up several years of a relatively high salary to resign Clark versus drafting a top safety in Round 1 of the draft or signing another FA like you did Clark.

Tough situation for Clark. I hope he does play and is healthy. I thought we had established once that when he had the surgery done he had the organs effected by this removed. Not sure why it is still a problem.

What?!? The last time he played in Denver, he was lost for the rest of the season, and had serious, potentially life-threatening complications. I'd much rather him sit out one game (or two if we go there for the playoffs), than have him stupidly play there again and risk his health, his life, and the rest of his season.

For what it is worth, the next time we are scheduled to play in Denver again is 2015 (unless we face them in the playoffs). We also will play on the road against the AFC West team that finishes in the same slot in their division as we do in 2011, 2013, and 2017. Whether or not we re-sign Ryan Clark should have nothing whatsoever to do his Denver situation. It is not like we are the Chiefs, Chargers, or Raiders where we would have to play in Denver every season.

ikestops85
10-27-2009, 11:50 AM
I thought I had read where he said he was making the trip regardless. The only question was if he would play. I think having the Steelers inactive him for the game would be a class move.

There is more to life than playing professional football. Besides, if he retires he could spend his time posting on a steelers bulletin board ... and everyone knows if you post on a bulletin board you become smart enough and have enough football savy to be the O-Coordinator, D-Coordinator and Head Coach. Oops, I forgot about General Manager also.

You automatically know whether to play Sweed/bench Sweed, start Mendy/start Willie, trade Willie/keep Willie, run more/run less, dump off/pass deep, blitz more/blitz less, blitz up middle/blitz from outside, play soft/play tight, draft O-line/draft D-line, etc./etc.

Yes, when you post on a bulletin board you are better than an overpaid janitor, a defensive genius, and a questionable playcaller. :moon

Jigawatts
10-28-2009, 02:02 PM
http://www.teesforall.com/images/Rocky_If_He_Dies_Gray_Shirt.jpg

flippy
10-28-2009, 02:40 PM

Nice

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2009, 02:41 PM

In the irony of all Ivan Drago ironies, we could be without Clark, who hits like a Hammer, because of a Sickle. :wink:

Jigawatts
10-28-2009, 02:46 PM

In the irony of all Ivan Drago ironies, we could be without Clark, who hits like a Hammer, because of a Sickle. :wink:

Now that's clever. :Clap

RuthlessBurgher
10-28-2009, 03:05 PM

Now that's clever. :Clap

Every so often, I'm good for more than just posting pictures of people getting hit by flying tomatoes. :wink: