PDA

View Full Version : Question about coaching and/or clock rule

Mel Blount's G
10-25-2009, 10:47 PM
Okay, near the end of the game there, where Ben was stripped of the ball and it went out of bounds, we retained possession and faced a fourth down. We had a 3 point lead and were punting the ball with around 3 minutes left in the game. I would assume we would want to chew up as much clock as possible to leave the dikes with as little as possible along w/ their 2 to's (they used a to right before that 3rd down where Ben fumbled).

Here's what I'm not sure of:

The clock stopped there because the ball went out of bounds and the refs then conferenced to agree that we retained possession, right? But before the snap of our ensuing punt, the clock started to tick. But we snapped and punted it real quick-like. Why wouldn't have we ran down the entire play clock there to leave the vikes w/ less? Was the play clock not fully wound so we had to snap it asap or was that a coaching gaffe there or...?

Any clarification is appreciated.

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 08:17 AM
i see what your saying, but i dont know if the steeler coaching staff was really concerned too much with time, the vikes still had 3 time outs (4 if you include the 2 minute warning)

Mel Blount's G
10-26-2009, 08:54 PM
i see what your saying, but i dont know if the steeler coaching staff was really concerned too much with time, the vikes still had 3 time outs (4 if you include the 2 minute warning)
Nope. They only had 2 (plus the 2 min warning). They used one of their time outs right before the 3rd down play where Ben fumbled the ball out of bounds which indicates that the vikes were concerned with conserving time for their final drive to attempt to tin or tie

Does nobody think the coaching staff should have burned some clock if we were able to? That 40 seconds we could have burned (if in fact we could have....that's the info I was looking for with this thread) on that 4th down may have been the difference between them sticking it in for 6 and winning it vs. them kicking a FG for 3 to go to overtime (that's if our D didn't pull off another of whatever you call those thing our defense does!). Y'all know I'm sure how very important time management is, especially at the end of halves and games. It really could have meant the difference in the game had we not had the game-sealing pick