PDA

View Full Version : Another point on the Wallace TD flip

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 05:55 PM
In the NFL it is illegal to "go to the ground" for a TD celebration...some official could call a 15 yarder on that.

Don't do it anymore Mike. The celebration that is...keep getting the TDs though! :D

:tt1

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
In the NFL it is illegal to "go to the ground" for a TD celebration...some official could call a 15 yarder on that.

Don't do it anymore Mike. The celebration that is...keep getting the TDs though! :D

Yeah, I was afraid we were going to get penalized. Didn't Reggie Bush get penalized for exactly the same thing a few years back, on his 1st NFL TD?

Oviedo
10-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Forget the penalty, it is stupid because he could hurt his shoulder. Hopefully he got told to stop that nonsense.

Jigawatts
10-25-2009, 09:45 PM

Yeah, I was afraid we were going to get penalized. Didn't Reggie Bush get penalized for exactly the same thing a few years back, on his 1st NFL TD?

I think Bush was flagged for taunting a Chicago player while waltzing into the end zone.

As for the flip, I don't like it. I agree with Oviedo. That's a good way to injure yourself
in an unnecessary fashion, not to mention that it's not very professional.

steelblood
10-25-2009, 10:09 PM
roddy white got a 15 yarder against SF a few weeks back for attempting a flip and falling down.

steelblood
10-25-2009, 10:11 PM
roddy white got a 15 yarder against SF a few weeks back for attempting a flip and falling down.

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Forget the penalty, it is stupid because he could hurt his shoulder. Hopefully he got told to stop that nonsense.

That's why I said "another point". I had mentioned the potential for injury elsewhere. :D

DukieBoy
10-25-2009, 10:47 PM
I remember Jack Ham, Franco, Stallworth, Mel Blount and others making great plays and just being all cool about it, like "this is what I do" and "my play speaks for itself" ... no extreme stuff needed.

Also remember when Gus Frerotte knocked himself out doing something stupid after a play. And what about that kicker who blew out his knee celebrating?

Mel Blount's G
10-25-2009, 10:54 PM
He was still in the field of play when he launched so it wasn't done after the td as a celebration.

(I have no idea if that is relevant to whether it shoulda been penalized or not but thought I'd add that observation.)

It actually reminded me of fwp's dive into the ez after his super bowl td sprint

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 10:55 PM
He was still in the field of play when he launched so it wasn't done after the td as a celebration.

(I have no idea if that is relevant to whether it shoulda been penalized or not but thought I'd add that observation.)

It actually reminded me of fwp's dive into the ez after his super bowl td sprint

Good point and maybe that's why they don't flag it.

So lets stick with the injury angle then. :D

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 07:38 AM
i screamed at the tv. i said there is 15 yds....lucky we did not get it called against us....

Steelgal
10-26-2009, 07:49 AM
I was in the chat room and said it was stupid because what if the ball accidentally pops out? You have to get up holding the ball in the endzone and so what if hitting the ground knocks the ball loose? Either way, stupid decision on his part.

Jooser
10-26-2009, 07:56 AM
The entire Raven fan base threw a flag on the flip!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
It wasn't a TD when he flipped. He flipped into the endzone. If he crossed the goaline and then did it...That would have been a penalty. That won't be the case next year from what I'm hearing. You can also do a flip after your score and land on your feet with no penalty. All of these "loop holes" are supposed to be addressed next year. The NFL wants not celebration that could be perceived as taunting or dramatics outside of the game content. Ocho no show celebrations will be no more.

steelfin
10-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Very athletic move...running forward, jumping into a forward flip and not breaking your neck, shoulder, etc.....Its just not needed on the football field....too many bad things can happen as a result...

It screams look at me instead of the team....Hopefully the coaches have a conversation regarding his selfishness and lack of discipline....

But what a great 3rd round pick this kid has been!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 09:12 AM
I remember Jack Ham, Franco, Stallworth, Mel Blount and others making great plays and just being all cool about it, like "this is what I do" and "my play speaks for itself" ... no extreme stuff needed.

Also remember when Gus Frerotte knocked himself out doing something stupid after a play. And what about that kicker who blew out his knee celebrating?

Key Fox acted like he had been there before on his game-winning TD (then again, perhaps he was too exhausted after his runback to even bother with celebrating).

Chachi
10-26-2009, 09:41 AM
Forget about a flag.

Forget about a possible injury from doing that flip.

If he did that flip and the ball came out when he hit the ground (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09292/1006660-66.stm) you just know the refs would have said:

“Rule 8, Section 1, Article 3, Item 1 of the NFL Rule Book (page 51) states that ‘if a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact with an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball after he touches the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

...and it would have been an incomplete pass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!