PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Skippy pretend that was a towel dispenser...

snarky
10-25-2009, 04:32 PM
...running past him?

Oviedo
10-25-2009, 04:33 PM
...running past him?

... or a bottle of beer?

DukieBoy
10-25-2009, 04:47 PM
...running past him?

... or a bottle of beer?

Wuss award to Skippy. He made himself look like he got alpha-maled by Harvin. Maybe he should have just stood there and stripped, like that guy at the end of "Slapshot".

Mel Blount's G
10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
That was awful. The word "sissy" came to me when I saw that.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Come on guys, aren't we being just a little hard on him? How often do you see the kicker make that play? It looked like he got caught flat footed as he thought that Harvin was going inside then he went outside.

At least he made an attempt to touch the returner which is more than I can say for Favre after the Fox int.

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 09:25 AM
do any of you remember that 1997 home night game against the ravens when the steelers won 37-0 and norm johnson LAID OUT the kick returner who i believe was michael jackson......that was norm johnson, i think reed could at least push someone out...

flippy
10-26-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't understand why the announcers got on Reed for this. Harvin juked him. He left a couple other Steelers jock straps on the field prior to putting a move on Reed.

Ghost
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Reed didn't even extend his arms. He really didn't try and push him - just ran near him. While the entire coverage team takes some blame, Reed is a part of that and had to make an attempt. It was weak. Reed is going to be embarrased when the team watches the game film. In the game following your second altercation with the police; a little effort would have gone a long way.

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 10:01 AM
do any of you remember that 1997 home night game against the ravens when the steelers won 37-0 and norm johnson LAID OUT the kick returner who i believe was michael jackson......that was norm johnson, i think reed could at least push someone out...

Heck yeah I remember that, I have that picture still in my head. , There were banners hung up in the stadium of him after that text book tackle. One of the best football tackles I ever seen.

NWNewell
10-26-2009, 10:04 AM
That was terrible. I couldn't believe that effort.

He needs to take a page from Sepulveda. Remember the tackle he had the other week? Perfect wrap up tackle.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Reed did his job by kicking two field goals and three extra points. Kickers aren't expected to make tackles on runbacks. If they do, it is a bonus. It is up to the rest of the coverage team to get the guy down well before he ever gets near the kicker. Not everyone can be expected to hit like Sepulveda.

[youtube:1q735ndp]FhCgLeuO0I[/youtube:1q735ndp]

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Come on guys, aren't we being just a little hard on him? How often do you see the kicker make that play? It looked like he got caught flat footed as he thought that Harvin was going inside then he went outside.

At least he made an attempt to touch the returner which is more than I can say for Favre after the Fox int.

I too am curious if the camera angle made it look different than it actually was.

Brett is a 40 year quarterback that doesn't have any business sticking his head in there after a linebacker. Brett gets hurt and the Vikings won't win many more games. Brett did the smart thing.

Reed needed a play like this to win the fan and coaches over in my opinion. Granted, Reeds little wussy kickoff put the team in that spot but, Reed should have taken a slug from his whiskey flask and went off on Harvin.

Steeler Mafia
10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Reed did his job by kicking two field goals and three extra points. Kickers aren't expected to make tackles on runbacks. If they do, it is a bonus. It is up to the rest of the coverage team to get the guy down well before he ever gets near the kicker. Not everyone can be expected to hit like Sepulveda.

[youtube:103bvgh7]FhCgLeuO0I[/youtube:103bvgh7]

Fisrt off, I didn't see this post as I just posted a similar thread under JEFF REED...WTF?

Sorry.

Second, Jeff Reeds job doesn't stop at kicking extra-points and field goals. He also has a responsability on kick-off coverage to be the last line of defense. Granted, he is not expected to make big bone crushing hits, but his effort in trying to slow Harvin down was pitiful.

Oviedo
10-26-2009, 11:04 AM

[youtube:3u9k76nt]FhCgLeuO0I[/youtube:3u9k76nt]

RB--I disagree. Kickers should physically and mentally be ready to make tackles on kick offs. They are the last line of defense. Reed was completely lacking in "wanting to" and just tried to bump him. He gcould have grabbed him or went low to take out his legs. Even a facemask grab would have been better.

Heck--Reed even outweighs him by more than 30 lbs (225 to 192), just throw your lard a$$ in front of him to trip over you.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Reed does make tackles on kick returns. He has been credited with 17 special teams tackles in his career (15 of which were solo tackles). So he is willing and able to tackle a return man. But I don't know how you can get down on a kicker for whiffing on an athletic freak like Percy Harvin (who leads the league in kickoff return average among players with more 6 returns at this point in the season by the way; he averages 29.8 yards per return). There were other 10 guys out there whose sole job was to tackle this guy, and we are blaming the kicker for allowing this runback? Really?

fezziwig
10-26-2009, 12:25 PM
The biggest problem with Reed on the field is, he doesn't kickoff too well. For as big as his legs are, they're paper lions. He doesn't have the leg strength to get the job done. With the weak leg, it is no wonder Reed has 17 tackles, he better since he is hanging out the special teams to dry with each kick.

Sugar
10-26-2009, 12:30 PM
Reed does make tackles on kick returns. He has been credited with 17 special teams tackles in his career (15 of which were solo tackles). So he is willing and able to tackle a return man. But I don't know how you can get down on a kicker for whiffing on an athletic freak like Percy Harvin (who leads the league in kickoff return average among players with more 6 returns at this point in the season by the way; he averages 29.8 yards per return). There were other 10 guys out there whose sole job was to tackle this guy, and we are blaming the kicker for allowing this runback? Really?

:Agree

You can blame the guy for a poor kickoff if you want, but I don't think it's too reasonable to expect much more from Reed than what he did. I think if Tomlin shows him in the news and everybody can get a laugh from that attempt before getting to the matter of the other 10 guys, that will be enough.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Not all of his kicks were meant to go deep. For instance, he purposefully kicked a fly ball to one of the up-men that was fair caught (he did this last week as well). He is not an elite kick-off man by any means, but he is adequate enough (he won't be booming them through the end zone for touchbacks, but he is able to kick the ball inside the opposing team's 5 yard line more often than not...it is not as if he has a 40 year old Matt Stover leg or anything).

ikestops85
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
While I didn't expect Reed to make the tackle I did expect him to make an effort. Just jump on the guy's back or grab his jersey and hang on. Anything to slow him down till help arrives.

Granted Reed's horrible attempt in no way excuses the other 10 guys on the kickoff coverage team. Harvin ran through a gap between 2 steelers no wider than 1 yard and neither laid a hand on him. Yes they were engaged by blockers but they have to be aware and come off the block to make the tackle. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

SteelAbility
10-26-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm thinking he should have at least tripped him. There actually is such a thing as getting the most out of your penalties.

SteelAbility
10-26-2009, 04:06 PM
While I didn't expect Reed to make the tackle I did expect him to make an effort. Just jump on the guy's back or grab his jersey and hang on. Anything to slow him down till help arrives.

Granted Reed's horrible attempt in no way excuses the other 10 guys on the kickoff coverage team. Harvin ran through a gap between 2 steelers no wider than 1 yard and neither laid a hand on him. Yes they were engaged by blockers but they have to be aware and come off the block to make the tackle. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

Well, one huge problem was a short, somewhat hanging kick that allowed Harvin to catch the ball with forward momentum. The moment I saw him field it I was thinking, "Oh, boy here we go. We'll be lucky to stop him at the 45."