PDA

View Full Version : Not pretty, but we'll take it!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Our offense looked pretty bad, but the Vikes do have a good D.

Hats off to LeBeau, and the hustle of our players!!

kindlecatsb'ng
10-25-2009, 04:24 PM
The Steelers D really earned their $ today.

GOOD WIN!

Uncle Rico
10-25-2009, 04:53 PM
It's all about making plays.

BURGH86STEEL
10-25-2009, 04:56 PM
I just hope the injury situation does not get any worse.

DukieBoy
10-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Needed this win. The Bears are shrinking like it's too cold, and they are laying dowon for the Bungles right now.

NorthCoast
10-25-2009, 04:59 PM
ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Farrior with 15 tackles today.

I know there have been some people dissing the guy but I think it was more about having to play a different role while Troy was out. Troy comes back and Farrior is his old self...

buckeyehoppy
10-25-2009, 05:55 PM

Yeah, SASF...my O would look terrible if they were on the field for <22', too. Oh well...in the words of Marvin Lewis..."it is what it is".

The O has to get better. But, let's review: our D OUT-FREAKING-SCORED an O that hung 400+ yards on them. If it wasn't for that bull$#!t KO return that resulted in epic fail, we would have crushed these punks. Come to think of if...f--- that...we did crush these punks. The score just doesn't reflect it.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Farrior with 15 tackles today.

I know there have been some people dissing the guy but I think it was more about having to play a different role while Troy was out. Troy comes back and Farrior is his old self...

Our D was BOSS today. On the field 37+' and our D out scores their O? I'll take it...EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!

Steelgal
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
A win is always a good thing!!! We need the bye week to try and get some players healthy too.

Ben just looked off today. Not sure if he was worried about pressure since they have a good D-line or what. He just never looked comfortable back there. We had 3rd and 2 and he could have easily ran for it, but instead tried to throw to Tone and he didn't catch it.

papillon
10-25-2009, 06:20 PM
6 words for you:

Throw style points out the window.

Pappy

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 06:22 PM
A win is always a good thing!!! We need the bye week to try and get some players healthy too.

Ben just looked off today. Not sure if he was worried about pressure since they have a good D-line or what. He just never looked comfortable back there. We had 3rd and 2 and he could have easily ran for it, but instead tried to throw to Tone and he didn't catch it.

You know, I thought the same thing on that play until they replayed it. There was a linebacker right there who would have had a free shot at him had he run...which is why I think he stepped up just before he threw it. He was trying to create some space.

Steelgal
10-25-2009, 06:52 PM

You know, I thought the same thing on that play until they replayed it. There was a linebacker right there who would have had a free shot at him had he run...which is why I think he stepped up just before he threw it. He was trying to create some space.

REally, didn't catch the replay. That would make sense as Ben normally doesn't have issues running the ball if necessary.

BTW, what was the play when he pump faked, then tried to run? Maybe late in the 2nd half. That was a terrible play....

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 07:34 PM

REally, didn't catch the replay. That would make sense as Ben normally doesn't have issues running the ball if necessary.

BTW, what was the play when he pump faked, then tried to run? Maybe late in the 2nd half. That was a terrible play....

Was supposed to be a WR screen but both Hines and Wallace went upfield to block. No one to catch the pass.

BATMAN
10-25-2009, 08:19 PM
What was going on with Hampton today ?

Steelgal
10-25-2009, 08:23 PM

The 3 penalties were ridiculous, but I found it amazing he could actually hurdle a player. Can't remember who it was, but it was in the 2nd half.

NC Steeler Fan
10-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Wellll, if you take away that B.S. call against Heath that nullified the TD and
if our ST gets their collective heads out of their asc on that return,
we DO blow them out.

That's a 14 point swing right there.

However, I'll reiterate my previous concern about Ben's seemingly lack of
vision downfield lately. I know I saw at least two plays where he had Hines
and another receiver wide open downfield and either took a sack or a short yardage
play.

Even my husband commented on it.*

*For you guys, substituted "my wife" in there and you get my point... :wink:

DukieBoy
10-25-2009, 08:35 PM

The 3 penalties were ridiculous, but I found it amazing he could actually hurdle a player. Can't remember who it was, but it was in the 2nd half.

There was some talk on post-game radio of the center grunting out fake signals and simultaneiously squeezing the ball just visibly enough to get Casey to twitch. I think the commentary was was from Tunch or Wolfley who would know about such tricks of the trade. Still, Casey's gotta be better than that. I'm sure it's not the first time he's faced such stuff.

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 10:15 AM
you could tell from the begining that ben was not on it today, no big deal, you get those sometimes, but he was lucky he did not throw an INT on the last drive at the end of the first half, he had 2 that should of been picked on that drive alone, instead we got a T.D. (luckily)....he will be fine...just a hunch :P

NWNewell
10-26-2009, 10:40 AM

I wouldn't say they looked pretty bad. They just seemed off. Mendy's stupid fumble was the only turnover. We averaged 5.3yds per rush against a very good front 7. Ben had an 87.8 QB rating. He suffer 3 sacks (two of which were on him).

Not a terrible game, but it seemed like we just couldn't get into much of a rhythm to rack up the yards. For the most part, I think the Vikings played pretty solid pass defense. They were dropping back the LB's a little and dropping back the DB's even farther. So they were taking way the deep balls and mid-range stuff. So you are left with the option of taking the check downs or trying to thread a touch pass between the LB's and DB's (Ward's almost catch, and two of Wallace's deep catches). Ben did a good job of not trying to force the ball down field understanding the importance of ball security when playing the Vikings who rarely turn the ball over and not trying to make your O-line hold off the Viking's strong front 7 too long.

There were some drops (sort of) that could have influenced the rhythm in the first half, and there were 4 DL batted balls (that's quite a bit). If we convert a few of those, the offense might have started clicking a bit more. But for the most part, I have to give credit to the Vikings and their game plan. I think they were daring the Steeler's running game to be their front 7.... and I think they could have if we would have run the ball a little more. Mendenhall and the running game was more than effective.

I don't think the offense played well, but they were not bad (not a lot of mistakes). They just weren't clicking and kind of seemed to have an off day.