PDA

View Full Version : Parker watches role diminish

fordfixer
10-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Parker watches role diminish
Sunday, October 25, 2009
BY DALE GRDNIC
For The Patriot-News
http://www.pennlive.com/nfl/patriotnews ... xml&coll=1 (http://www.pennlive.com/nfl/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1256353804262110.xml&coll=1)

PITTSBURGH - Steelers running back Willie Parker is like Avis in the old rent-a-car commercials: He's No. 2 but trying harder.

Due to Parker's turf-toe injury, Rashard Mendenhall has started the past three games and played well, while Parker missed two games and came off the bench last week.

Mendenhall is expected to start again when the Steelers (4-2) host the NFC's Minnesota Vikings (6-0) at 1 p.m. today at Heinz Field.

"Rashard has earned the right to take the majority of snaps as we proceed," coach Mike Tomlin said. "[Parker will be rotated in] with the emphasis on giving us the best chance of winning."

That's OK with Parker, for now.

"He's the coach," Parker said. "He has to make a decision and live with it. He thinks that's the best for our offense right now, and pretty much I have to prove him wrong. I'm cool with it, [but] I'm not all the way back. ... I'm not myself right now."

Parker has been injury-prone the past few years, and he is not yet back to being the runner he was prior to breaking a leg in 2007. He missed a handful of games last year.

In his return against the Cleveland Browns last week, Parker ran for 26 yards on seven carries. Mendenhall had 62 yards and a touchdown on 17 carries and has 304 yards and four scores in the past three games.

Parker's days with the Steelers might be numbered. He's in his final contract year and could be a free agent after this season. At most, he could be the No. 2 back with Mendenhall as the starter.

"With the way our offense is going right now, I'm not going against coach's decision," Parker said. "I just have to prove him wrong whenever I get my chance.

NorCal-Steeler
10-25-2009, 09:04 PM
That a boy Willie keep your mouth shut and show the man....

NC Steeler Fan
10-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Willie has had his time to shine, no doubt.

And, certainly you'd think he "expects" to contribute as a fierce
competitor for years to come. He has been a great Steeler.

However, even the best of times come to an end.

Just like so many before him, how he handles his transition from
the spotlight will speak volumes about how he will be remembered.

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 11:06 AM
he had that one run where if he go outside he was gone, but he could not even make it because a DLineman took him down, he is still just so hesitant when he gets the ball, i dont want to bash him, but i would use moore more than at the end of the game....and park parker even more than we did yesterday...still give mendy his 20 carries, he will get the hang of haning onto the ball soon...I HOPE