PDA

View Full Version : Steelers to Say So Long to RB Parker and K Reed After This Y

fordfixer
10-25-2009, 01:39 AM
Steelers to Say So Long to RB Parker and K Reed After This Year?

Posted by Matt Loede under Pittsburgh Steelers
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/10/2 ... this-year/ (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/10/24/steelers-to-say-so-long-to-rb-parker-and-k-reed-after-this-year/)

Pro Football Talk talks about how the Steelers likely won’t do much to keep either running back Willie Parker and kicker Jeff Reed past this season:

Rumor has it that the Steelers won’t try hard to keep either running back Willie Parker or placekicker Jeff Reed, both impending free agents, after this season ends. Parker has proven ineffective and injury-prone, like he was for most of last season and has lost his starting job to Rashard Mendenhall. Reed has embarrassed the organization with a pair of run-ins with the law and he might simply be not worth the off the field headaches to keep around.

There’s no doubt that Parker in my opinion is as good as gone. He complained about the lack of running the team did last season, and would likely love a shot at a big payday to get to a club that runs more. As for Reed, he’d better shape up off the field, or the Steelers are going to have to start looking at options at kicker, as they won’t put up with his antics of getting arrested like he’s 21.

rpmpit
10-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Sorry to see FWP go, but I can't deny how frustating its been watching him run over the last two seasons. I hope he can go somewhere and find success.

As for Reed, maybe we can use his off the field crap to get him on the cheap?

BATMAN
10-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Unless the Rooneys and Reed are drinking buddies, he is gone. Wasn't there also some team incident about Reed the special teams coach and the special teams coaches wife ?
Two arrest or whatever due to drinking, endless photos of him on the internet, very un-Steeler like.

Parker eh, I don't see them keeping him unless Mendenhall has a major melt down. Willies injuries haven't helped along with an o-line that couldn't make large enough oppenings for him to recognize.
I didn't think it ws too wrong of Parker to voice his gripes about the run game, just shows his desire to win. Parker has been a good model person and Steeler that has fit very well. He did or gave his best and I wish him the best of luck.

flippy
10-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Parker will end up in New England.

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 10:47 AM
Steelers to Say So Long to RB Parker and K Reed After This Year?

Posted by Matt Loede under Pittsburgh Steelers
http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/10/2 ... this-year/ (http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2009/10/24/steelers-to-say-so-long-to-rb-parker-and-k-reed-after-this-year/)

Pro Football Talk talks about how the Steelers likely won’t do much to keep either running back Willie Parker and kicker Jeff Reed past this season:

Rumor has it that the Steelers won’t try hard to keep either running back Willie Parker or placekicker Jeff Reed, both impending free agents, after this season ends. Parker has proven ineffective and injury-prone, like he was for most of last season and has lost his starting job to Rashard Mendenhall. Reed has embarrassed the organization with a pair of run-ins with the law and he might simply be not worth the off the field headaches to keep around.

There’s no doubt that Parker in my opinion is as good as gone. He complained about the lack of running the team did last season, and would likely love a shot at a big payday to get to a club that runs more. As for Reed, he’d better shape up off the field, or the Steelers are going to have to start looking at options at kicker, as they won’t put up with his antics of getting arrested like he’s 21.

This is classic "if I'm right I can tell everyone how right I was, but if I'm wrong no one will remember".

Oviedo
10-25-2009, 11:24 AM
I've said numerous times on the board that the life of an NFL RB is five years. This is FWP's fifth year as a regular. I'll be sorry to see him go because he seems like a high character individual who worked hard to get the most out of the opportunity the Steelers gave him.

Reed on the other hand took his opportunity and contributed greatly but also spit in the face of the organization with his embarassing off field frat boy antics. Won't miss him.

NorCal-Steeler
10-25-2009, 11:30 AM
alot of football left in the season. If Mendy doesnt learn to hold on to the ball Wille will be back.
Reed on the other hand i still dont see the problem he wasnt even the driver. I guess he is just a kicker cause Holmes could come to meetings high and they wouldnt let him go.

Snatch98
10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
alot of football left in the season. If Mendy doesnt learn to hold on to the ball Wille will be back.
Reed on the other hand i still dont see the problem he wasnt even the driver. I guess he is just a kicker cause Holmes could come to meetings high and they wouldnt let him go.

How many fumbles does eithe RB have this year? I know both have put it on the ground.

EDIT: I answered my own question.

Rashard has one fumble
Willie has two fumbles

The "Mendenhall needs to hold on to the ball argument" is a little outlandish and I'm not even stating the above because Mendenhall has put it on the ground less. Rashards fumble was a exceptional rip. Willie was ripped once and just put it on the ground another time and Parker is a shell of his former self. He's all but done. The Steelers will move on with Mendenhall and Moore and possibly Redman if he hangs around.

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 01:43 PM

How many fumbles does eithe RB have this year? I know both have put it on the ground.

Rashard has one fumble
Willie has two fumbles

The "Mendenhall needs to hold on to the ball argument" is a little outlandish and I'm not even stating the above because Mendenhall has put it on the ground less. Rashards fumble was a exceptional rip. Willie was ripped once and just put it on the ground another time and Parker is a shell of his former self. He's all but done. The Steelers will move on with Mendenhall and Moore and possibly Redman if he hangs around.

Nice rationalization on the Mendy fumble. Btw, 2 isn't all that much more than 1. Unless you wanna go by percentages. :roll:

stlrz d
10-25-2009, 03:23 PM

Rashard has two fumbles
Willie has two fumbles

Fixed that for you.

DrCalculus
10-25-2009, 10:37 PM
My hunch is that Parker will wind up as a veteran backup with whatever team signs Bill Cowher as their new coach / gm for 2010, regardless of where that may be. Even Carolina. Prior to this sudden 2-game rebirth by the Bills, I could see Cowher getting hired in Buffalo and bringing Parker in there. But now Washington seems a more logical fit if he decides to do Danny Snyder a personal Favre and un-retire.

If Cowher stays out of coaching, then I could see him going to some place such as St Louis or Seattle, indoors with turf and a coach who has professed a love of the running game, and with little depth at RB behind the established starter.

NorCal-Steeler
10-25-2009, 11:55 PM
ok FWP has 1214 carries and 16 fumbles so a fumble every 75.87 carries

Mendy has 97 carries 2 fumbles a rate of 1 fumble every 48.5 carries
I took out the 4 pre season fumbles mendy had over the last 2 seasons that really would have skewed the percentag.

costanza2k1
10-26-2009, 12:05 AM
If Willie is healthy he will be back and be a contributor, right now the man isn't healthy at all. Mendenhall performing is the best thing that happened to Willie. He gets much needed rest. It prolonged the Bus' career when Willie took over and it can do the same for him. Now the question is will he take a home town discount for a couple of years like the Bus? Time will tell.

papillon
10-26-2009, 12:08 AM
ok FWP has 1214 carries and 16 fumbles so a fumble every 75.87 carries

Mendy has 97 carries 2 fumbles a rate of 1 fumble every 48.5 carries
I took out the 4 pre season fumbles mendy had over the last 2 seasons that really would have skewed the percentag.

Even though the pre-season fumbles occurred in games that didn't have any meaning they do establish a trend for Mendenhall as a fumbler.

Pappy

JTP53609
10-26-2009, 07:37 AM
hope them success...well i hope parke does well, i hope skippy has fun becoming a 30 year old phrat boy